Pre-Trip WELCOME HOME...Our First Trip as DVC Members!

Well this is very exciting for me to be putting together...a pre-trip report for our first park visit as official DVC members! My wife Kelly was adamant about returning to the World in December to experience Christmas in Disney World so we started looking into what our trip might look like back in January.

The last couple of visits we've made WDW, including the most recent in August '16, we rented DVC points to stay in DVC accommodations. We started looking at what that would run us for a trip in December and ended up stumbling across a few resale sites. Well after a few inquires and a lot of research we ended up putting in a bid on a membership at Saratoga Springs to get our foot in the door.

Almost 10 long weeks later we finally received our official membership information from Disney yesterday and here we are...proud DVC members but still kicking ourselves that we didn't seriously look into doing this years ago!

Nonetheless, we are super excited and as new members we quickly started getting into the nitty-gritty of planning our Christmas vacation.

WHO
The usual suspects. Me (Matt), my wife (Kelly) and our two daughters (Ella and Lennon). It's early enough that maybe the grandparents might sneak their way onto the trip but at this point it's just the four of us. We had such a blast last year and we are very much looking forward to getting back again this year.

EPCOT_HCOEPCOT_20160807_7765704575_zpson9uxrme.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

WHEN
This much we have planned. We will be making our journey from the snow and cold of Edmonton, AB down to what we hope will be far warmer weather in WDW from December 6-16, 2017. I am very much looking forward to wearing shorts for 10 straight days in the month of December which is definitely not going to happen here at home!

WHERE
We jumped online last night once we had everything confirmed and set up with the membership and quickly secured a studio at our home resort, Saratoga Springs. While we'd have no issues with staying here for our upcoming adventure, the idea at this point in time is to look for accommodation elsewhere once the 7 month booking window for non-home resort stays opens up.

We have been floating around a ton of options to this point and ideally our top choices would be (in no order whatsoever) Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness or if we get really lucky, Grand Floridian. It's more than likely we will have to jump on some wait lists for our requests and maybe even split resorts for our trip but that wouldn't be an issue at all. At least we know we have a place to stay and we can start looking into the rest of the trip details from here to December.

*EDIT* - Since first posting we've switched resorts. First night will be spent at AKL and the rest of the trip will be enjoyed in a one-bedroom villa at the Beach Club. Very much looking forward to experiencing two resorts we have yet to stay at.

We have put our name on the wait list for that first night so hopefully the entire stay will be at Beach Club but if not we will definitely make due.

WHAT'S NEXT
We've got a pretty long countdown before we finally step foot back at WDW and from now until then we can concentrate on all the other particulars. As Canadian residents we will be taking advantage of the 25% off theme park tickets, we'll have to secure flights and of course we will be on top of potentially changing resorts, booking our ADR's and scheduling our FP+ once those windows open up.

There will be many updates made to this report in the coming months but I couldn't wait to get back on here and share our news!

Pumped to be DVC, very excited about seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays and I really can't wait to experience Pandora for the first time!

Looking forward to posting more details as the planning unfolds and I hope that you'll continue to read along and provide your suggestions for restaurants or other fun experiences we should try when we make our way back.

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766700378_zpsx3wh4tvs.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Even more to report...

One of my favourite traditions during any WDW visit is a trip to the Harmony Barber Shop on Main Street for a Haircut. The last trip I was joined by Ella who received her first official haircut which was a lot of fun!
IMG_0359_zpst8zmmsft.jpg
IMG_0361_zpspbsccf4v.jpg
IMG_0363_zpso1shyxsz.jpg

IMG_3850_zpsuowfhwgq.jpg

Solo cut for me this trip as I've made my appointment for December 9th just before our Crystal Palace dinner reservation.

Definitely looking forward to it. I'll try to plan a little better this trip so as not to desperately need the cut as I did last year!

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
So now things look like this...

December 7 - dinner at Chef Art Smith's
December 8 - dinner at Teppan Edo
December 9 - dinner at the Crystal Palace
December 10 - dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe
December 11 - breakfast at Cape May Cafe
December 12 - lunch at the Plaza and dinner before the Christmas Party at 'Ohana
December 13 - lunch at Beaches and Cream
December 14 - Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast and dinner at via Napoli
December 15 - breakfast at Be Our Guest (quick service) and dinner at Mama Melrose
December 16 - farewell WDW breakfast at Kona Cafe before flying home.

Looks like we now get to enjoy everything we wanted so hopefully we're all set!

So 180 days out and we thought we were set but that's no longer the case now that we've done some FP+ planning. The list above didn't even include the dinner we later booked at Whispering Canyon but alas that has now fallen to the wayside as we've done some rearranging to give ourselves a clearer picture of which parks we will be hitting each day of the trip.

Now looking like this is the full rundown...

December 7 - dinner at Chef Art Smith's
December 8 - dinner at Jungle Cruise Skippers Canteen (new)
December 9 - dinner at the Crystal Palace
December 10 - dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe
December 11 - breakfast at Cape May Cafe and dinner at Rainforest Cafe at AK (new)
December 12 - lunch at the Plaza and dinner before the Christmas Party at 'Ohana
December 13 - lunch at Beaches and Cream
December 14 - Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast and dinner at via Napoli
December 15 - breakfast at Be Our Guest (quick service) and dinner at Mama Melrose
December 16 - breakfast at Kona Cafe.

The only change I see us making before actually getting to WDW is potentially cancelling our lunch reservation at the Plaza. We're thinking that's going to be too much food in our belly before hitting up 'Ohana for dinner that evening. Since The Plaza is trying to accept more walk in's now we're hoping we might be able to still enjoy one of our favourite stops at some point during the trip but we shall see.

Looking forward to taking full advantage of the Dining Plan for the first time.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Having been fully invested in the latest @fractal trip report, he did something that I am happy to borrow (ok fine...steal) and share with anyone reading along. Today is Ella's 7th Birthday and in a few days, Lennon will turn 5. It's crazy just how fast the years have flown by and both Kelly and I are very lucky to have two amazing daughters who keep us on our toes. And while these two have undoubtedly contributed to the steady stream of grey now infiltrating my otherwise terrific head of hair, I can easily say they're the two best things in our lives.

Thankfully they have taken to Disney as we hoped they would and have been more times than we'd like to admit! That said, stealing a page from Fractal, here is a look back at pictures from their first Disney Trip and a more recent photo.

Ella's first Disney visit was to WDW in September 2011. She was 11 months old at the time...and a healthy baby to say the least.
WDW2011007_zpsdgqpkvr9.jpg

Lennon first met the mouse in May of 2013 in Disneyland. She was about 8 months old. Slept most of the trip but enjoyed herself when she was awake.
IMG_5466_zps2epxmaql.jpg

We've had a blast experiencing Disney with them over the years and look forward to another great trip in a few months time.

14333714_1123555057681293_2974578606803817200_n_zpsuwmszci5.jpg

Last edited:

dizfan917

We used to do the Dining Plan when we first started heading down in 2006 and for a few years afterward. We eventually stopped doing it because we didn't like having to ALWAYS get a beverage AND a dessert at the QS locations (we can easily split one - or no dessert...) and having the 2 snacks per day was super stressful... "what should I get? I just want a drink... should I waste a snack on a drink or should I hold out for something more expensive?". Then at the end it felt like we wasted $ cuz we always had a bunch of snack credits left over.

We also typically do dinners at a couple of the Signature Dining locations, so our table service credits disappeared quickly and then we had to pay out of pocket anyway. When we kept track the first two years after we stopped using the Plan, we found that we were happier JUST purchasing what we wanted when we wanted and not having to use meals and snacks just because they were there. We spent the same amount on the things that were covered by the plan, so it really didn't save us any money. It did save lots of mental anguish and wondering "was the Dining Plan worth it after all"?!

I hope it's a good deal for you guys!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Looking forward to reading about this trip!! Our trips as youngsters were always in December & it pretty much doubles the Magic.:inlove:

That picture of your daughter with Alice is just adorable!

We're super excited about being back in December. Last Christmas visit was in '09. Definitely looking forward to the extra magic this year!

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We used to do the Dining Plan when we first started heading down in 2006 and for a few years afterward. We eventually stopped doing it because we didn't like having to ALWAYS get a beverage AND a dessert at the QS locations (we can easily split one - or no dessert...) and having the 2 snacks per day was super stressful... "what should I get? I just want a drink... should I waste a snack on a drink or should I hold out for something more expensive?". Then at the end it felt like we wasted $ cuz we always had a bunch of snack credits left over.

We also typically do dinners at a couple of the Signature Dining locations, so our table service credits disappeared quickly and then we had to pay out of pocket anyway. When we kept track the first two years after we stopped using the Plan, we found that we were happier JUST purchasing what we wanted when we wanted and not having to use meals and snacks just because they were there. We spent the same amount on the things that were covered by the plan, so it really didn't save us any money. It did save lots of mental anguish and wondering "was the Dining Plan worth it after all"?!

I hope it's a good deal for you guys!

I appreciate your feedback from past Dining Plan experiences. We've debated a lot about whether we should give it a try as we typically end up just going the out of pocket route as well. Figured we might as well just try it once to see how it compares but our worry is much like you've stated...wasting credits for the sake of using them.

That said, I feel like personally I won't have any issues with desserts and taking full advantage of the snacks alotted though that could very well change quickly once we're there and faced with those options.

Fingers crossed it works well and if not, at least we know for next time!

dizfan917

I appreciate your feedback from past Dining Plan experiences. We've debated a lot about whether we should give it a try as we typically end up just going the out of pocket route as well. Figured we might as well just try it once to see how it compares but our worry is much like you've stated...wasting credits for the sake of using them.

That said, I feel like personally I won't have any issues with desserts and taking full advantage of the snacks alotted though that could very well change quickly once we're there and faced with those options.

Fingers crossed it works well and if not, at least we know for next time!

I loved it at first, but then I just kept feeling the PRESSURE to eat the most expensive steak (I don't really even dig red meat...), get the highest priced snack, refill that mug OVER and OVER... It was lots of fun to feel like we were "beating the system", but we were eating a LOT!!

I'm sure you guys will enjoy it! Eat up!! :geek:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I loved it at first, but then I just kept feeling the PRESSURE to eat the most expensive steak (I don't really even dig red meat...), get the highest priced snack, refill that mug OVER and OVER... It was lots of fun to feel like we were "beating the system", but we were eating a LOT!!

I'm sure you guys will enjoy it! Eat up!! :geek:

Totally can see where it would weigh on you after a while. This being our first go around with it I like the idea of getting that most expensive item and not worrying about the cost coming out of my pocket but as you point out, the pressure to continue to do that trip after trip would be tough!

No doubt we will eat heartily while we're there and I'm sure we'll have pics to prove it!

fractal

Having been fully invested in the latest @fractal trip report, he did something that I am happy to borrow (ok fine...steal) and share with anyone reading along. Today is Ella's 7th Birthday and in a few days, Lennon will turn 5. It's crazy just how fast the years have flown by and both Kelly and I are very lucky to have two amazing daughters who keep us on our toes. And while these two have undoubtedly contributed to the steady stream of grey now infiltrating my otherwise terrific head of hair, I can easily say they're the two best things in our lives.

Thankfully they have taken to Disney as we hoped they would and have been more times than we'd like to admit! That said, stealing a page from Fractal, here is a look back at pictures from their first Disney Trip and a more recent photo.

Ella's first Disney visit was to WDW in September 2011. She was 11 months old at the time...and a healthy baby to say the least.
WDW2011007_zpsdgqpkvr9.jpg

Lennon first met the mouse in May of 2013 in Disneyland. She was about 8 months old. Slept most of the trip but enjoyed herself when she was awake.
IMG_5466_zps2epxmaql.jpg

We've had a blast experiencing Disney with them over the years and look forward to another great trip in a few months time.

14333714_1123555057681293_2974578606803817200_n_zpsuwmszci5.jpg

Happy Birthday to Ella and Lennon!

great pic of a beautiful family!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom