Pre-Trip WELCOME HOME...Our First Trip as DVC Members!

Well this is very exciting for me to be putting together...a pre-trip report for our first park visit as official DVC members! My wife Kelly was adamant about returning to the World in December to experience Christmas in Disney World so we started looking into what our trip might look like back in January.

The last couple of visits we've made WDW, including the most recent in August '16, we rented DVC points to stay in DVC accommodations. We started looking at what that would run us for a trip in December and ended up stumbling across a few resale sites. Well after a few inquires and a lot of research we ended up putting in a bid on a membership at Saratoga Springs to get our foot in the door.

Almost 10 long weeks later we finally received our official membership information from Disney yesterday and here we are...proud DVC members but still kicking ourselves that we didn't seriously look into doing this years ago!

Nonetheless, we are super excited and as new members we quickly started getting into the nitty-gritty of planning our Christmas vacation.

WHO
The usual suspects. Me (Matt), my wife (Kelly) and our two daughters (Ella and Lennon). It's early enough that maybe the grandparents might sneak their way onto the trip but at this point it's just the four of us. We had such a blast last year and we are very much looking forward to getting back again this year.

EPCOT_HCOEPCOT_20160807_7765704575_zpson9uxrme.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

WHEN
This much we have planned. We will be making our journey from the snow and cold of Edmonton, AB down to what we hope will be far warmer weather in WDW from December 6-16, 2017. I am very much looking forward to wearing shorts for 10 straight days in the month of December which is definitely not going to happen here at home!

WHERE
We jumped online last night once we had everything confirmed and set up with the membership and quickly secured a studio at our home resort, Saratoga Springs. While we'd have no issues with staying here for our upcoming adventure, the idea at this point in time is to look for accommodation elsewhere once the 7 month booking window for non-home resort stays opens up.

We have been floating around a ton of options to this point and ideally our top choices would be (in no order whatsoever) Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness or if we get really lucky, Grand Floridian. It's more than likely we will have to jump on some wait lists for our requests and maybe even split resorts for our trip but that wouldn't be an issue at all. At least we know we have a place to stay and we can start looking into the rest of the trip details from here to December.

*EDIT* - Since first posting we've switched resorts. First night will be spent at AKL and the rest of the trip will be enjoyed in a one-bedroom villa at the Beach Club. Very much looking forward to experiencing two resorts we have yet to stay at.

We have put our name on the wait list for that first night so hopefully the entire stay will be at Beach Club but if not we will definitely make due.

WHAT'S NEXT
We've got a pretty long countdown before we finally step foot back at WDW and from now until then we can concentrate on all the other particulars. As Canadian residents we will be taking advantage of the 25% off theme park tickets, we'll have to secure flights and of course we will be on top of potentially changing resorts, booking our ADR's and scheduling our FP+ once those windows open up.

There will be many updates made to this report in the coming months but I couldn't wait to get back on here and share our news!

Pumped to be DVC, very excited about seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays and I really can't wait to experience Pandora for the first time!

Looking forward to posting more details as the planning unfolds and I hope that you'll continue to read along and provide your suggestions for restaurants or other fun experiences we should try when we make our way back.

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766700378_zpsx3wh4tvs.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We stayed at yacht twice now because of the great location and the resort is beautiful
With smaller ones you will really enjoy the beach
My dd are 22/20 so the quiet YC is more our style

Max

The location is pretty great isn't it? I'm sure we will spend a lot of time at MK with the little ones but even so, being able to walk to two parks is super convenient and I've always loved the boardwalk area at night.

Plus the pools and the beach areas look like they will be a big hit with the girls.

Also doesn't hurt that a kitchen sink isn't too far away at Beaches and Cream!

kaitertot5249

I'm hoping to be able to book a stay at the Beach Club for spring 2018 (maybe renting DVC points?). I just need to convince my boyfriend that another trip to Disney is what he wants to do (he's not as hooked on the magic as I am). We're also looking at booking a non-Disney vacation in the fall so I need to make sure that it would work out financially. But the Beach Club is probably at the top of my list, comfortably next to the Poly, of Disney resorts that I want to stay at.

Your trip is coming together nicely! I hope that you are enjoying the planning process, it's half the fun!

elhefe4

Well this is very exciting for me to be putting together...a pre-trip report for our first park visit as official DVC members! My wife Kelly was adamant about returning to the World in December to experience Christmas in Disney World so we started looking into what our trip might look like back in January.

The last couple of visits we've made WDW, including the most recent in August '16, we rented DVC points to stay in DVC accommodations. We started looking at what that would run us for a trip in December and ended up stumbling across a few resale sites. Well after a few inquires and a lot of research we ended up putting in a bid on a membership at Saratoga Springs to get our foot in the door.

Almost 10 long weeks later we finally received our official membership information from Disney yesterday and here we are...proud DVC members but still kicking ourselves that we didn't seriously look into doing this years ago!

Nonetheless, we are super excited and as new members we quickly started getting into the nitty-gritty of planning our Christmas vacation.

WHO
The usual suspects. Me (Matt), my wife (Kelly) and our two daughters (Ella and Lennon). It's early enough that maybe the grandparents might sneak their way onto the trip but at this point it's just the four of us. We had such a blast last year and we are very much looking forward to getting back again this year.

EPCOT_HCOEPCOT_20160807_7765704575_zpson9uxrme.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

WHEN
This much we have planned. We will be making our journey from the snow and cold of Edmonton, AB down to what we hope will be far warmer weather in WDW from December 6-16, 2017. I am very much looking forward to wearing shorts for 10 straight days in the month of December which is definitely not going to happen here at home!

WHERE
We jumped online last night once we had everything confirmed and set up with the membership and quickly secured a studio at our home resort, Saratoga Springs. While we'd have no issues with staying here for our upcoming adventure, the idea at this point in time is to look for accommodation elsewhere once the 7 month booking window for non-home resort stays opens up.

We have been floating around a ton of options to this point and ideally our top choices would be (in no order whatsoever) Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness or if we get really lucky, Grand Floridian. It's more than likely we will have to jump on some wait lists for our requests and maybe even split resorts for our trip but that wouldn't be an issue at all. At least we know we have a place to stay and we can start looking into the rest of the trip details from here to December.

*EDIT* - Since first posting we've switched resorts. First night will be spent at AKL and the rest of the trip will be enjoyed in a one-bedroom villa at the Beach Club. Very much looking forward to experiencing two resorts we have yet to stay at.

We have put our name on the wait list for that first night so hopefully the entire stay will be at Beach Club but if not we will definitely make due.

WHAT'S NEXT
We've got a pretty long countdown before we finally step foot back at WDW and from now until then we can concentrate on all the other particulars. As Canadian residents we will be taking advantage of the 25% off theme park tickets, we'll have to secure flights and of course we will be on top of potentially changing resorts, booking our ADR's and scheduling our FP+ once those windows open up.

There will be many updates made to this report in the coming months but I couldn't wait to get back on here and share our news!

Pumped to be DVC, very excited about seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays and I really can't wait to experience Pandora for the first time!

Looking forward to posting more details as the planning unfolds and I hope that you'll continue to read along and provide your suggestions for restaurants or other fun experiences we should try when we make our way back.

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766700378_zpsx3wh4tvs.jpeg
Would you mind telling me about the financial part of your DVC purchase? I'm considering buying in and I was hoping for some info from someone who's done it recently. Feel free to PM so I don't clog up your PTR. Thank you!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I'm hoping to be able to book a stay at the Beach Club for spring 2018 (maybe renting DVC points?). I just need to convince my boyfriend that another trip to Disney is what he wants to do (he's not as hooked on the magic as I am). We're also looking at booking a non-Disney vacation in the fall so I need to make sure that it would work out financially. But the Beach Club is probably at the top of my list, comfortably next to the Poly, of Disney resorts that I want to stay at.

Your trip is coming together nicely! I hope that you are enjoying the planning process, it's half the fun!

I'm sure it won't be too hard to convince him! We've been reading a ton of reviews of the Beach Club and it's just helped to reinforce that we made the right call. Hoping it will live up to the high standards we are already setting but not finding any reason to this point why it won't.

Have you rented points before? Such a great way to experience DVC at a reduced cost. Was really the main reason we decided to go ahead and buy resale. Had such a great experience both times renting points for accommodation in the past.

I look forward to hearing all about your trip if/when it comes to fruition.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Would you mind telling me about the financial part of your DVC purchase? I'm considering buying in and I was hoping for some info from someone who's done it recently. Feel free to PM so I don't clog up your PTR. Thank you!

Happy to chat about it. I'll send you a DM shortly.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Yet another thing checked off the "to-do list" this morning. It's the final week for us Canadian residents to save 25% on park passes so we've definitely taken advantage of that. 8 day hopper passes and our Memory Maker secured. Saved us close to $800 USD which is massive considering the current exchange rate.

Next up with be figuring out which Christmas Party we will be attending and it's less than a month away from putting our ADR's together.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Our park passes and memory maker arrived late last week. Well, not exactly our passes but the exchange certificates we will need to present along with our Canadian passports when we arrive in December. So close to 180 days out...Kelly and I have been planning which restaurants to book but the list is not yet complete. Thinking of trying out the Dining Plan for the first time which has added some additional planning into the process.

IMG_5178_zpsw9bo91u4.jpg

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
What restaurants are you guys kicking around?

Some that we consider old favourites and a few would be new experiences. So far a running list looks something like this, in no particular order of breakfast, lunch or dinner....

Kona
'Ohana
50's Prime Time
The Plaza
Beaches and Cream
Be Our Guest
Mama Melrose
Via Napoli
Teppan Edo
Cape May Cafe

I'm sure I am missing one or two and I know this list is very likely to change by the time 180 days rolls around but this is at least the starting point.

We are definitely open to suggestions for sit downs if people want to share...

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Has anyone done the character breakfast at Trattoria al Forno? This is a new one for us that we are considering. If you had to choose between 1900 park fare or Trattoria al Forno what would you choose?

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Good job on the 25% off offer for us Canucks
Our dollar is not looking good compared to the Yank and it probably will not be getting better any time soon.

Still following and enjoying the ride.

Max

That exchange is definitely a kick in the pants! Doesn't make travelling to the States any easier for us Canucks but we're making due. Not sure another Disney trip will be in the cards for a few years after this one is done.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Has anyone done the character breakfast at Trattoria al Forno? This is a new one for us that we are considering. If you had to choose between 1900 park fare or Trattoria al Forno what would you choose?

Personally, I usually prefer an a la carte breakfast to a buffet. Have you been to 1900 Park Faire before? That would be another big deciding factor. If you have, I'd definitely pick TaF. If not, then it's going to come down to the characters.

I've seen nothing but great reviews for the new TaF character breakfast.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Personally, I usually prefer an a la carte breakfast to a buffet. Have you been to 1900 Park Faire before? That would be another big deciding factor. If you have, I'd definitely pick TaF. If not, then it's going to come down to the characters.

I've seen nothing but great reviews for the new TaF character breakfast.

We have done 1900 quite some time ago. Ella was just a year old and Lennon wasn't even in the picture yet. Much of our list of potential restaurants are places we have been to before with exception of a few new spots so this might be a good chance to try something new.

Thanks for the input!

Jedi Stitch

Some that we consider old favourites and a few would be new experiences. So far a running list looks something like this, in no particular order of breakfast, lunch or dinner....

Kona
'Ohana
50's Prime Time
The Plaza
Beaches and Cream
Be Our Guest
Mama Melrose
Via Napoli
Teppan Edo
Cape May Cafe

I'm sure I am missing one or two and I know this list is very likely to change by the time 180 days rolls around but this is at least the starting point.

We are definitely open to suggestions for sit downs if people want to share...
Sci-Fi drive in was on our list, but we were not able to book reservations. I would still suggest it to people.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Sci-Fi drive in was on our list, but we were not able to book reservations. I would still suggest it to people.

We debated between Sci Fi and 50s. We did the Sci Fi last year for lunch and quite enjoyed it but we seem to have a soft spot for 50s! Still a few weeks to change our minds though. Good suggestion...thanks!

I do think we've found a new place to add to the list in Chef Art Smith's in Disney Springs. Something about he combo of chicken and donuts is tough to pass up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom