WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

LynnMc2015

Are you looking for the smaller ears or the full sized ones? The smaller ears that fit the mini-wedding cakes rarely result in an upcharge. Every time I see them on a Mickey delight mini wedding cake, the cake cost seems to be $35...which seems to be the base price on all minis. I think you're going to see a variety of prices on the larger ones, but I've seen them add about $20-40 to a 6" or larger cake. There are a few figures that come in dark chocolate, but I don't think it would be anything good for an anniversary cake. I swore I'd seen both a white and dark chocolate version of the Mickey/Minnie anniversary topper, but I can't find any pics to prove myself right...so maybe I'm wrong. Curious which bakery is quoting a high figure on the mini ears.

I'd call now...especially since it may take you longer being in the UK. While the GF is definitely one of the ones that's better at working things out with less time, there's peace of mind in getting it done. I know it's harder to pull this off when you're outside of the US, but here are a few points that might help...

Let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks for the advice and here is the update (apologies in advance for the length). I called Pat and left a message but wasn't sure if she'd call back internationally but a few hours later she did. I explained roughly what I wanted but said I had images that could send her which would probably be easier so she asked me to e-mail them to her. I have attached images of the cakes I am looking for. She came back to me quickly and said they could do everything I asked for (which included having the ligh up effect on the castle) which I was really pleased about, but then came the price.

They have quoted $120 for the small 2 tier cake as it is larger than a regular mini cake. The perosn who originally posted this photo paid $60 from the CB so the price was double! The price on the anniversary cake was $134 as it is 6" which was about what I was expecting as the original poster paid $120 but I had asked her to lose some of the additional decoration already and didn't ask for anything extra. I politley asked her to clarify the prices and explained what prices I was expecting and why and apparently for the 2 tier, the mini castle will not fit on a standard 2 tier so it has to be a bigger cake. I appreciate this but can it really double cost (whilst I was waiting fo Pat's response on pricing I e-mailed the CB with the picture and asked them how much it would cost with the light effect and they quoted $65)!

The cost of the aniversary cake is $59 and the ear toppers are $75. I could not believe that they cost more than the actual cake. They may be slightly bigger than the ears you get on regular mini cakes but as they both fit on the top of a 6" cake the difference can't be that much surely? Can't decide what to do now, still love the ears but not sure they are worth that. Pat is off now until Tuesda so have a couple of days to think. As for the birthday cake, I'm going to get that from Brian at the CB for our reservation at CRT instead.

Attachments

• Cleo's birthday.jpg
    Cleo's birthday.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 80
  • anniversarycake[1].jpg
    anniversarycake[1].jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 75

NonnaT

Thanks for the advice and here is the update (apologies in advance for the length). I called Pat and left a message but wasn't sure if she'd call back internationally but a few hours later she did. I explained roughly what I wanted but said I had images that could send her which would probably be easier so she asked me to e-mail them to her. I have attached images of the cakes I am looking for. She came back to me quickly and said they could do everything I asked for (which included having the ligh up effect on the castle) which I was really pleased about, but then came the price.

They have quoted $120 for the small 2 tier cake as it is larger than a regular mini cake. The perosn who originally posted this photo paid $60 from the CB so the price was double! The price on the anniversary cake was $134 as it is 6" which was about what I was expecting as the original poster paid $120 but I had asked her to lose some of the additional decoration already and didn't ask for anything extra. I politley asked her to clarify the prices and explained what prices I was expecting and why and apparently for the 2 tier, the mini castle will not fit on a standard 2 tier so it has to be a bigger cake. I appreciate this but can it really double cost (whilst I was waiting fo Pat's response on pricing I e-mailed the CB with the picture and asked them how much it would cost with the light effect and they quoted $65)!

The cost of the aniversary cake is $59 and the ear toppers are $75. I could not believe that they cost more than the actual cake. They may be slightly bigger than the ears you get on regular mini cakes but as they both fit on the top of a 6" cake the difference can't be that much surely? Can't decide what to do now, still love the ears but not sure they are worth that. Pat is off now until Tuesda so have a couple of days to think. As for the birthday cake, I'm going to get that from Brian at the CB for our reservation at CRT instead.
WOWEE! And Holy smokes! I could see $75 for the entire cake, but $75 for the ears?!? Very cute but way over priced, inho...

Squigglove

MINI CAKE at Cinderella's Castle
$35 + tax & gratuity = $43.20

My son's 2nd Birthday. He tore this thing up! He's a cake monster and I'm so happy with this little cake. I didn't know the Mickey Ears were chocolate, I thought it was a plastic "souvenir" but he immediately broke off an ear and replied "ew." Then he ate it!
LOVE THE MINI CAKE !!!!!

For size reference:
21195527826_8403809e31_z.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

HOLY COW!!! $75 bucks for those ears?!??!?!? Dear LORD!!! I could EASILY make you edible chocolate ears for a fraction of that price. If I thought they'd survive the travel, I'd give you some tips on making them. The ones that go on the mini cakes are very tiny, but that's still a huge upcharge. For that price, I'd rather get a set of Lenox Minnie and Mickey mouse ears. That way it's at least a nice porcelain keepsake. Of course, the only ones I can find right now are the ornament version...but I'd still be more inclined to go that route.

I guess keep us posted on what you decide and how things go with Chef Brian.

LynnMc2015

HOLY COW!!! $75 bucks for those ears?!??!?!? Dear LORD!!! I could EASILY make you edible chocolate ears for a fraction of that price. If I thought they'd survive the travel, I'd give you some tips on making them. The ones that go on the mini cakes are very tiny, but that's still a huge upcharge. For that price, I'd rather get a set of Lenox Minnie and Mickey mouse ears. That way it's at least a nice porcelain keepsake. Of course, the only ones I can find right now are the ornament version...but I'd still be more inclined to go that route.

I guess keep us posted on what you decide and how things go with Chef Brian.

I know. My jaw dropped when she told me the price. I have found a few alternatives from cakes other posters have had and have e-mailed these to Pat and am waiting for her reply. We had Mickey and Minnie on our wedding cake so would love to have them incorporated again. If I wasn't worried about them breaking on the flight I'd just these. I'll let you know how I get on.

Attachments

• Wedding Cake.JPG
    Wedding Cake.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 52

LynnMc2015

I know. My jaw dropped when she told me the price. I have found a few alternatives from cakes other posters have had and have e-mailed these to Pat and am waiting for her reply. We had Mickey and Minnie on our wedding cake so would love to have them incorporated again. If I wasn't worried about them breaking on the flight I'd just take these. I'll let you know how I get on.

Ok - so now I am worried. It has been 2 days since I e-mailed Pat with my alternatives and I haven't heard back from her. She responded to all my other e-mails really quickly. Should I chase her? I'm worried that I'll annoy her :(

Good news too though. Ordered my other cakes through Magic Kingdom Bakery after liaising with Chef Brian and they are all confirmed:) 1 week to go!!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Ok - so now I am worried. It has been 2 days since I e-mailed Pat with my alternatives and I haven't heard back from her. She responded to all my other e-mails really quickly. Should I chase her? I'm worried that I'll annoy her :(

Good news too though. Ordered my other cakes through Magic Kingdom Bakery after liaising with Chef Brian and they are all confirmed:) 1 week to go!!!

I have had mixed results with Pat. Sometimes she's gotten back to me quickly and other times, it has taken several days. Considering you're at the 1 week mark...I say try and get in touch with her asap. I'm always so mixed with this...on one hand you don't want to be a pest, but on the other hand...you're the customer and you're wanting to spend $ with them. I guess the best approach is some balance. So, chasing her down, but just expressing that you're concerned since it's getting down to the wire and you're just nervous about not getting it all squared away before you travel.

Glad things went well with Chef Brian and the MK bakery.

LynnMc2015

I have had mixed results with Pat. Sometimes she's gotten back to me quickly and other times, it has taken several days. Considering you're at the 1 week mark...I say try and get in touch with her asap. I'm always so mixed with this...on one hand you don't want to be a pest, but on the other hand...you're the customer and you're wanting to spend $ with them. I guess the best approach is some balance. So, chasing her down, but just expressing that you're concerned since it's getting down to the wire and you're just nervous about not getting it all squared away before you travel.

Glad things went well with Chef Brian and the MK bakery.
Thanks. Did as suggested and she came back to me, but not with a response
I was hoping for. Rather than telling me if any of my suggested toppers would work she has offered me a 3" mini cake with a tiny printed image on top for $35! I don't understand how we have moved from a 6" fondant covered cake to this. Surely the ear hats or white chocolate figures can't be the only options available if you want Mickey and Minnie on your cake? I asked her to clarify and said I am open to suggestion on the topper as I still really want the original cake but she has asked to speak to me instead. This is now really difficult for me as we are at the weekend when my DH will be around so the surprise will be ruined. Honestly feel just like cancelling the whole thing. She didn't answer my question either about the Glass Slipper Dessert for DD's birthday. Feeling really frustrated now.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks. Did as suggested and she came back to me, but not with a response
I was hoping for. Rather than telling me if any of my suggested toppers would work she has offered me a 3" mini cake with a tiny printed image on top for $35! I don't understand how we have moved from a 6" fondant covered cake to this. Surely the ear hats or white chocolate figures can't be the only options available if you want Mickey and Minnie on your cake? I asked her to clarify and said I am open to suggestion on the topper as I still really want the original cake but she has asked to speak to me instead. This is now really difficult for me as we are at the weekend when my DH will be around so the surprise will be ruined. Honestly feel just like cancelling the whole thing. She didn't answer my question either about the Glass Slipper Dessert for DD's birthday. Feeling really frustrated now.

That makes no sense. Why would she shift to a 3" when you've clearly asked for a 6"?!!??! I wish I had some greater insight into her thinking in this or the course to take, but if it were me...I'd be frustrated too. If you were to cancel, do you have any other ADRs where a cake would work and would be serviced by another bakery? This just reminds me of how I felt with YC/BC. I wasn't getting anywhere, time was slipping away, and I wasn't confident that they'd get it right...so I changed plans.

LynnMc2015

That makes no sense. Why would she shift to a 3" when you've clearly asked for a 6"?!!??! I wish I had some greater insight into her thinking in this or the course to take, but if it were me...I'd be frustrated too. If you were to cancel, do you have any other ADRs where a cake would work and would be serviced by another bakery? This just reminds me of how I felt with YC/BC. I wasn't getting anywhere, time was slipping away, and I wasn't confident that they'd get it right...so I changed plans.
Thanks for your help. It's really good just to have a sounding board for this. I have been in touch with Pat an politely thanked her for her help but told her I would be looking for an alternative way to celebrate. In fairness to her she came back and asked me if I just wanted to have the cake that one of my topper suggestions had originally come from but the design is so far away from what I originally asked for. It is 6" but covered in bright red icing with a lot of additional decoration. The cake I want is white and simple with very little decoration but I just wanted a really special topper. She also offered some different printed images but again, this is just not what I envisaged. I feel we are just on totally different pages where this cake is concerned so I am going to look for an alternative. I have an ADR at Crystal Palace on our actual anniversary date but is when we are at MNSSHP and I didn't really want to carry leftover cake around all night which is why I chose 'Ohana as we got married at the Poly so it was close enough to be relevant. However, as I have such great dealings with Chef Brian and MK cake ordering I might see what they can do as I am more confident of getting something resembling my original idea. My other ADR's would involve different bakeries and it is just too near our trip now to be starting with someone new.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. It's really good just to have a sounding board for this. I have been in touch with Pat an politely thanked her for her help but told her I would be looking for an alternative way to celebrate. In fairness to her she came back and asked me if I just wanted to have the cake that one of my topper suggestions had originally come from but the design is so far away from what I originally asked for. It is 6" but covered in bright red icing with a lot of additional decoration. The cake I want is white and simple with very little decoration but I just wanted a really special topper. She also offered some different printed images but again, this is just not what I envisaged. I feel we are just on totally different pages where this cake is concerned so I am going to look for an alternative. I have an ADR at Crystal Palace on our actual anniversary date but is when we are at MNSSHP and I didn't really want to carry leftover cake around all night which is why I chose 'Ohana as we got married at the Poly so it was close enough to be relevant. However, as I have such great dealings with Chef Brian and MK cake ordering I might see what they can do as I am more confident of getting something resembling my original idea. My other ADR's would involve different bakeries and it is just too near our trip now to be starting with someone new.

It's unfortunate b/c the GF does put out some really great cakes. I know some people have had no issues with ordering cakes there, where others come back with a lot of frustration. I have dealt with both. I do really enjoy working with Chef Brian at the Contemporary and while carrying a cake around MNSSHP might not be ideal...it might be the best plan. I have heard of some people renting a locker to store leftover cake, but that doesn't work as well during the warmer months. I mean, it'll still be in the 80s in the evening and a locker would surely be warmer. On the flip side...it would make a great snack while you're waiting for Boo to You and Hallowishes. Sometimes things like that are great conversation pieces for character M&Gs...so that could be another fun opportunity. And while I do like cake plans squared away a couple of weeks in advance....Chef Brian has usually given me the "we could do this with as little as 48 hrs notice" spiel.

LynnMc2015

It's unfortunate b/c the GF does put out some really great cakes. I know some people have had no issues with ordering cakes there, where others come back with a lot of frustration. I have dealt with both. I do really enjoy working with Chef Brian at the Contemporary and while carrying a cake around MNSSHP might not be ideal...it might be the best plan. I have heard of some people renting a locker to store leftover cake, but that doesn't work as well during the warmer months. I mean, it'll still be in the 80s in the evening and a locker would surely be warmer. On the flip side...it would make a great snack while you're waiting for Boo to You and Hallowishes. Sometimes things like that are great conversation pieces for character M&Gs...so that could be another fun opportunity. And while I do like cake plans squared away a couple of weeks in advance....Chef Brian has usually given me the "we could do this with as little as 48 hrs notice" spiel.

I thought as my cake was quite a simple design and I hadn't asked for anything out of the ordinary in terms of flavour etc that I would have better luck. Never mind, I have heard back from Chef Brian who has quoted me $59 for the same 6" cake, decorated as requested with the Mickey and Minnie ear hats (the mini ones but that is fine, it's what I had asked for in the first place from Pat) :):):) I'm sure carrying the cake around won't be too bad, like the idea of having it whilst waiting the parade and fireworks. Thanks for all your help. Will post pics of all my cakes when we get back.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I thought as my cake was quite a simple design and I hadn't asked for anything out of the ordinary in terms of flavour etc that I would have better luck. Never mind, I have heard back from Chef Brian who has quoted me $59 for the same 6" cake, decorated as requested with the Mickey and Minnie ear hats (the mini ones but that is fine, it's what I had asked for in the first place from Pat) :):):) I'm sure carrying the cake around won't be too bad, like the idea of having it whilst waiting the parade and fireworks. Thanks for all your help. Will post pics of all my cakes when we get back.

I'm really glad to hear that Chef Brian is giving you a reasonable quote on the cake you wanted. Can't wait to see the cakes!!! Have an amazing trip :)

Rolly

Hi there! This is my first time posting after following the thread for quite a while. I was wondering about figurines brought from home on cakes made by Disney bakers. I've seen figurines on cakes before, but am wanting to learn more about how guests have managed it. Meaning, do you ask the baker (in my case, Pat) to leave room for the figurine? Do you just pop it on as soon as it comes to your table or do you work it out with a CM before the cake comes out?

I should give specifics on my situation. For one cake, I'd like to put a Lenox Winnie the Pooh figurine that I have on top of the cake. Do I email Pat a photo of the figurine? I'm sure the dimensions would be helpful at least. I know there are rules about Winnie the Pooh, but I was just hoping for a design that is inspired by the figurine--one with flowers or rain drops on the sides, something like that, in the colors of the statue (any recommendations are welcome). I guess I'm also just wondering if they are OK with the whole figurine thing, or if this is something you have to be sneaky about.

I know wedding cakes often have Lenox toppers and Disney bakers have accommodated those before, but I do wonder about the rules for these smaller occasion cakes.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi there! This is my first time posting after following the thread for quite a while. I was wondering about figurines brought from home on cakes made by Disney bakers. I've seen figurines on cakes before, but am wanting to learn more about how guests have managed it. Meaning, do you ask the baker (in my case, Pat) to leave room for the figurine? Do you just pop it on as soon as it comes to your table or do you work it out with a CM before the cake comes out?

I should give specifics on my situation. For one cake, I'd like to put a Lenox Winnie the Pooh figurine that I have on top of the cake. Do I email Pat a photo of the figurine? I'm sure the dimensions would be helpful at least. I know there are rules about Winnie the Pooh, but I was just hoping for a design that is inspired by the figurine--one with flowers or rain drops on the sides, something like that, in the colors of the statue (any recommendations are welcome). I guess I'm also just wondering if they are OK with the whole figurine thing, or if this is something you have to be sneaky about.

I know wedding cakes often have Lenox toppers and Disney bakers have accommodated those before, but I do wonder about the rules for these smaller occasion cakes.

Welcome :)

I have some experience with this and have seen a few stories from other people. I also have some experience with Lenox, so I have thoughts on that too.

As for how to do this...I've seen it go down 3 different ways...
1. You give the topper to them when you check in for your meal and they add it to the cake
2. You step away mid meal to work with the server to add the topper to the cake (this is usually you doing it just before the server presents it to the table)
3. You drop the topper off at private dining so they can add the topper to the cake before delivery (success with this varies and isn't always offered)

Now, as for my thoughts on Lenox...I collect Lenox porcelain ornaments, so I have a decent idea on weight, structure, construction, etc. So, this is what I think...
1. I think you should tell Pat since they may want to reinforce the top of the cake (sometimes means putting a small cake board under the fondant on top) to ensure the figure doesn't sink into the cake
2. Depending on your cake color and the bottom construction of the figurine, you may want them to add a white chocolate disc for the figurine. Colored fondant and frosting tends to lead to color transfer. I know some of my Lenox pieces have more of that rough finish (vs the sealed high gloss) and some are more rough at the base where they're hollowed out. I'm just thinking there's the possibility that the color of the fondant could alter the bottom color of the figurine if it's rough finish or resting on the hollowed out area. We have a couple of Lenox Pooh ornaments and I think they tend to be more rough than high gloss.
3. If it were me, option 2 of the "how to do this" is how I'd go. While they handle toppers with wedding cakes, and they do give a lot of care to custom cakes, I just don't know if I'd trust them with a nice topper on anything but a wedding cake. i.e. you keep it in your possession and add it just before it's brought out.

As for getting around the Pooh limitations...
1. I've seen Disney made cakes where people have added their own Pooh & Friends toppers. I think there's one on pg 1 or 2 of this thread with Eeyore.
2. Options 1 or 2 on how to do this would create the least concern. I mean, if it's never back in the bakery, they can't have an issue.

I would at least let Pat know you have a porcelain topper you are going to add to the cake and find out if there are any concerns, any other info she needs, or anything she thinks they'll need to do to ensure it doesn't present any issues with the cake. Pat can also tell you how they prefer to handle it if a guest provides their own topper. Now, I worked with a friend a couple of years ago to order a cake through the GF with a topper she brought from home. I believe Pat offered to have her bring it by private dining OR just bring it to the meal. In her case, she didn't have time to get to the GF, so she brought it to the meal and added it to the cake just before the cake was delivered to their table at 'Ohana. Her topper was also fairly heavy, but I don't think they did anything to reinforce the cake, so the weight of the figurine may not be a major issue. All in all...best to check with Pat, but all of this should guide you on the questions to ask. And the reality, my concerns may not be major concerns to her.

Let us know how it goes :)

2kidzmommie

I have finally returned from out Celebration week at Disney! We celebrated our 18th anniversary on 9/13 and both Kids had a birthday on 9/14. The Anniv cake I wasnt sure I was ordering til the last Minute. I emailed the Contempory Bakery 1 week before our dinner at Artist Point. I really wanted the 2 mickey ears toppers, but went with kissing mickeys some one else posted. I ordered a 6 in fresh strawberry and creme vanilla fondant cake. I was quoted $80. I had to tell 2 people about the cake at AP which ruined the surprise, but nothing usually goes as planned in our hectic life so we just moved on. Lol The manager threw in a Champange toast Yay! I ended up paying $50.00 plus tax and tip. The Birthday cakes also emailed through Contemporary Bakery for HOOP DE Doo. I was hooping for a Softball looking cake, I settled for yellow and red Trim. The Mini Cakes were too small, ooh well. They were surprised and slightly embarrassed, since no one else had special cakes. I was quoted and paid $88 for both including tax and tip. Thank You so much for all your help!
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG

Rolly

Welcome :)

I have some experience with this and have seen a few stories from other people. I also have some experience with Lenox, so I have thoughts on that too.

As for how to do this...I've seen it go down 3 different ways...
1. You give the topper to them when you check in for your meal and they add it to the cake
2. You step away mid meal to work with the server to add the topper to the cake (this is usually you doing it just before the server presents it to the table)
3. You drop the topper off at private dining so they can add the topper to the cake before delivery (success with this varies and isn't always offered)

Now, as for my thoughts on Lenox...I collect Lenox porcelain ornaments, so I have a decent idea on weight, structure, construction, etc. So, this is what I think...
1. I think you should tell Pat since they may want to reinforce the top of the cake (sometimes means putting a small cake board under the fondant on top) to ensure the figure doesn't sink into the cake
2. Depending on your cake color and the bottom construction of the figurine, you may want them to add a white chocolate disc for the figurine. Colored fondant and frosting tends to lead to color transfer. I know some of my Lenox pieces have more of that rough finish (vs the sealed high gloss) and some are more rough at the base where they're hollowed out. I'm just thinking there's the possibility that the color of the fondant could alter the bottom color of the figurine if it's rough finish or resting on the hollowed out area. We have a couple of Lenox Pooh ornaments and I think they tend to be more rough than high gloss.
3. If it were me, option 2 of the "how to do this" is how I'd go. While they handle toppers with wedding cakes, and they do give a lot of care to custom cakes, I just don't know if I'd trust them with a nice topper on anything but a wedding cake. i.e. you keep it in your possession and add it just before it's brought out.

As for getting around the Pooh limitations...
1. I've seen Disney made cakes where people have added their own Pooh & Friends toppers. I think there's one on pg 1 or 2 of this thread with Eeyore.
2. Options 1 or 2 on how to do this would create the least concern. I mean, if it's never back in the bakery, they can't have an issue.

I would at least let Pat know you have a porcelain topper you are going to add to the cake and find out if there are any concerns, any other info she needs, or anything she thinks they'll need to do to ensure it doesn't present any issues with the cake. Pat can also tell you how they prefer to handle it if a guest provides their own topper. Now, I worked with a friend a couple of years ago to order a cake through the GF with a topper she brought from home. I believe Pat offered to have her bring it by private dining OR just bring it to the meal. In her case, she didn't have time to get to the GF, so she brought it to the meal and added it to the cake just before the cake was delivered to their table at 'Ohana. Her topper was also fairly heavy, but I don't think they did anything to reinforce the cake, so the weight of the figurine may not be a major issue. All in all...best to check with Pat, but all of this should guide you on the questions to ask. And the reality, my concerns may not be major concerns to her.

Let us know how it goes :)

Thank you so much for this very informative response! I've called Pat and am just waiting for her to call me back, but in the meantime I wanted to share some photos of a cake I ordered for my brother and his girlfriend (it is her first time at Disney World) that they just enjoyed this morning. Their reservation was at Kona for breakfast, and my brother had to ask about the cake (it did not magically appear this time, unfortunately). They had to take it to go as they were in a bit of a rush and the cake took quite a while to come out, but his girlfriend LOVED the cake. She's a baker herself and was very surprised at the decorations and quality. My brother told me the fondant was excellent, the cake was moist, and that he rated it "10/10, would have at wedding", so that's wonderful!

The cake was supposed to have fresh strawberries, but it looks like Pat put extra decorations in, so that's fine by me. Stitch cake topper with gold accents, hibiscus flowers, and white chocolate surfboards, all on a fondant covered vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling. I just told her I wanted the Stitch topper with some tropical accents--I am SO pleased with how she interpreted this request. I believe the cake is 6" and $105.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I have finally returned from out Celebration week at Disney! We celebrated our 18th anniversary on 9/13 and both Kids had a birthday on 9/14. The Anniv cake I wasnt sure I was ordering til the last Minute. I emailed the Contempory Bakery 1 week before our dinner at Artist Point. I really wanted the 2 mickey ears toppers, but went with kissing mickeys some one else posted. I ordered a 6 in fresh strawberry and creme vanilla fondant cake. I was quoted $80. I had to tell 2 people about the cake at AP which ruined the surprise, but nothing usually goes as planned in our hectic life so we just moved on. Lol The manager threw in a Champange toast Yay! I ended up paying $50.00 plus tax and tip. The Birthday cakes also emailed through Contemporary Bakery for HOOP DE Doo. I was hooping for a Softball looking cake, I settled for yellow and red Trim. The Mini Cakes were too small, ooh well. They were surprised and slightly embarrassed, since no one else had special cakes. I was quoted and paid $88 for both including tax and tip. Thank You so much for all your help! View attachment 111067 View attachment 111068 View attachment 111069 View attachment 111070

That's too bad that they spoiled the surprise, but I really like the cake! The champagne toast was a nice perk :) I just got done with 6.5 hrs out at the softball fields, so I totally get the colors on the mini cakes. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thank you so much for this very informative response! I've called Pat and am just waiting for her to call me back, but in the meantime I wanted to share some photos of a cake I ordered for my brother and his girlfriend (it is her first time at Disney World) that they just enjoyed this morning. Their reservation was at Kona for breakfast, and my brother had to ask about the cake (it did not magically appear this time, unfortunately). They had to take it to go as they were in a bit of a rush and the cake took quite a while to come out, but his girlfriend LOVED the cake. She's a baker herself and was very surprised at the decorations and quality. My brother told me the fondant was excellent, the cake was moist, and that he rated it "10/10, would have at wedding", so that's wonderful!

The cake was supposed to have fresh strawberries, but it looks like Pat put extra decorations in, so that's fine by me. Stitch cake topper with gold accents, hibiscus flowers, and white chocolate surfboards, all on a fondant covered vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling. I just told her I wanted the Stitch topper with some tropical accents--I am SO pleased with how she interpreted this request. I believe the cake is 6" and $105.

View attachment 111097 View attachment 111096

I really like the Stitch cake! Love the Hidden Mickey at the bottom and nice to see the Hawaiian/Polynesian style chocolate patterning on the edible message. I do like their fondant as well, but am stumped on the brand. At one point, I thought they made their own, but last cake...Pat indicated it was a commercial brand. She said the brand they use carries a nut allergy warning, but the only fondant brands I know of that carry that warning are Wilton and Carma Massa Ticino Tropic. The fondant definitely doesn't taste or feel like Wilton and Carma Massa only comes in white, and what Disney uses looks like it's pre-dyed. So who the heck knows! But I like it...good taste and mouth feel. OK- probably more info on fondant than you really needed for this. LOL. Glad the cake turned out well!!! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I've been so bad about updates, but work and softball are ruling my life. Still, I will try and give you a cake update...and maybe I'll get the pics in a format that works since my last post a few weeks ago had half the pics go to nothing.

First up, a floral cake for $70 from the Contemporary Bakery

flower cake.jpg

This next one is a 8" delivered to Olivia's for $45

choccake.jpg

Next one was a $70 quote, but only charged $40 (AKL)

mickey ghost.jpg

These next two cakes were really pricey, and I can't figure out why. They were each about $200, which seems oddly high to me, but they were gluten free...so that could be the upcharge reason. The poster also said the cakes were bad.

bh6cakes.jpg

This is a new take on an HM cake. Nothing overly elaborate, but it's the first time I've seen the bride pic done as a full sized edible image covering the cake top. $44 from the Contemporary bakery.

hm1.JPG
hm2.JPG

Now a NBC cake that I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE! $136 from the Contemporary bakery.

nbccake.jpg

Now, a bit of a cake fail. They said the cake was tasty, but I guess the lettering was supposed to be emerald green instead of Elsa blue and there's a typo. It was $200.

cakefail.jpg

And now some Disney made wedding cakes...

40b9ec17808cdd1cdc652935a4146614.jpg

e337a3875e81ffad7b8213971831edc3.jpg

f0e08e7e3fb3a923ae0bd913d226dec5.jpg

749c1a2874ff877b62bf0643b10fdaf8.jpg
25da834d3a58dc943815bbb68a4159f5.jpg

So, that's it for now.

Kate Alan

@HouCuseChickie, maybe you can answer this for me, as I can't find the specific page I thought I saw it on. Will they allow a mix-and-match of characters on a single cake, or is it one-and-done? I was thinking about ordering a cake that would mix design elements from three different characters (the favorites of my travel companions and myself), but have a nagging feeling that I read somewhere on here that something like that wouldn't be possible. For example, adding a symbol from Peter Pan and from Lilo & Stitch to a cake (not the figures or images of the characters themselves), versus only allowing one character element.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom