WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
OK- didn't fit in one thread- so a continuation :)
aug stitch cake.jpg
aug treasure chest.jpg

WDW_Jon

:)Hi!

Does anyone have pics of any monsters inc themed cakes from WDW?
We think this is what our 4 year old is going to want for his birthday so just wondering what they have produced before?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
:)Hi!

Does anyone have pics of any monsters inc themed cakes from WDW?
We think this is what our 4 year old is going to want for his birthday so just wondering what they have produced before?

This is the only one I can remember...

37088B32-6F41-4A5F-9A91-A433E7C67CE6-4582-000001D23158E305_zps79fee07b.jpg

This was from 2013 and made by the BW bakery, according to my notes. I think it was around $65 back then. There may have been others, but this is the only one jumping out in my mind.

WDW_Jon

This is the only one I can remember...

37088B32-6F41-4A5F-9A91-A433E7C67CE6-4582-000001D23158E305_zps79fee07b.jpg

This was from 2013 and made by the BW bakery, according to my notes. I think it was around $65 back then. There may have been others, but this is the only one jumping out in my mind.

Thanks!

We've contacted the contemporary and thy supplied an approved image that can be printed on a basic cake so may go with that but we will see!

Thanks again :)

LynnMc2015

Love this thread and am hoping you can help me once again. Does anyone know how much the small chocolate Mickey/Minnie ear toppers are? I have seen them on mini cakes and they don't seem to have made much difference to the price, but someone told me they asked for them on an anniversary cake and were quoted a crazy price for them. They were advised to go for the white chocolate figures instead which I don't want as we are not lovers of white chocolate!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Love this thread and am hoping you can help me once again. Does anyone know how much the small chocolate Mickey/Minnie ear toppers are? I have seen them on mini cakes and they don't seem to have made much difference to the price, but someone told me they asked for them on an anniversary cake and were quoted a crazy price for them. They were advised to go for the white chocolate figures instead which I don't want as we are not lovers of white chocolate!

Are you looking for the smaller ears or the full sized ones? The smaller ears that fit the mini-wedding cakes rarely result in an upcharge. Every time I see them on a Mickey delight mini wedding cake, the cake cost seems to be $35...which seems to be the base price on all minis. I think you're going to see a variety of prices on the larger ones, but I've seen them add about $20-40 to a 6" or larger cake. There are a few figures that come in dark chocolate, but I don't think it would be anything good for an anniversary cake. I swore I'd seen both a white and dark chocolate version of the Mickey/Minnie anniversary topper, but I can't find any pics to prove myself right...so maybe I'm wrong. Curious which bakery is quoting a high figure on the mini ears.

Oh, and I agree on the not loving white chocolate...yet, for some strange reason, it still manages to get consumed in our house. Case in point, I've been snacking on my broken castle. Oooops! :oops:

LynnMc2015

Are you looking for the smaller ears or the full sized ones? The smaller ears that fit the mini-wedding cakes rarely result in an upcharge. Every time I see them on a Mickey delight mini wedding cake, the cake cost seems to be $35...which seems to be the base price on all minis. I think you're going to see a variety of prices on the larger ones, but I've seen them add about $20-40 to a 6" or larger cake. There are a few figures that come in dark chocolate, but I don't think it would be anything good for an anniversary cake. I swore I'd seen both a white and dark chocolate version of the Mickey/Minnie anniversary topper, but I can't find any pics to prove myself right...so maybe I'm wrong. Curious which bakery is quoting a high figure on the mini ears.

Oh, and I agree on the not loving white chocolate...yet, for some strange reason, it still manages to get consumed in our house. Case in point, I've been snacking on my broken castle. Oooops! :oops:

It's the small ones I am after. I am hoping to order a cake similar to this one and the ears on that look small to me but maybe I am misjudging the size of the cake?

anniversarycake-jpg.94345

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It's the small ones I am after. I am hoping to order a cake similar to this one and the ears on that look small to me but maybe I am misjudging the size of the cake?

anniversarycake-jpg.94345

These are bigger than the ones I was thinking of. They may also have an additional increase because they are mainly used for wedding cakes. While I've never tracked this with Disney, I remember looking at price differences when planning my own wedding. It's been a number of years, but I found serious price inflation for anything labeled as wedding goods/services. While cakes were one area where I saw this...ex. a 3 tier special occasion cake vs. a 3 tier wedding cake with comparable decorations (from a labor and materials perspective) often resulted in a $300-700+ price difference. Receptions were worse. I priced 5 different banquet halls/hotels and would get quotes on wedding prices vs. prices for a Bar/Bat Mitzvah. The package inclusions were pretty much identical, but the price differences ranged from $2,000-5,000 more for the wedding. So, I'm wondering if they're doing this with these toppers.

Now, as for Disney topper prices...I know the standard white chocolate castle costs about $100 before adding and embellishments and I've paid $25-45 for 3D character toppers. The ears pictured may require some construction and embellishment work from the pastry team, so that could also be a factor, although it still seems off that they'd cost so much more since I know people have ordered 6" cakes with the large mouse ears and there's been very little upcharge.

LynnMc2015

These are bigger than the ones I was thinking of. They may also have an additional increase because they are mainly used for wedding cakes. While I've never tracked this with Disney, I remember looking at price differences when planning my own wedding. It's been a number of years, but I found serious price inflation for anything labeled as wedding goods/services. While cakes were one area where I saw this...ex. a 3 tier special occasion cake vs. a 3 tier wedding cake with comparable decorations (from a labor and materials perspective) often resulted in a $300-700+ price difference. Receptions were worse. I priced 5 different banquet halls/hotels and would get quotes on wedding prices vs. prices for a Bar/Bat Mitzvah. The package inclusions were pretty much identical, but the price differences ranged from $2,000-5,000 more for the wedding. So, I'm wondering if they're doing this with these toppers.

Now, as for Disney topper prices...I know the standard white chocolate castle costs about $100 before adding and embellishments and I've paid $25-45 for 3D character toppers. The ears pictured may require some construction and embellishment work from the pastry team, so that could also be a factor, although it still seems off that they'd cost so much more since I know people have ordered 6" cakes with the large mouse ears and there's been very little upcharge.

Thanks. I have found a few other alternatives from cakes on here so hopefully I will get something cute. Really love the ears but don't want to double the price of the cake just to have them. We'll see what Pat says when I speak to her!

phxbbw6ft1

Thanks. I have found a few other alternatives from cakes on here so hopefully I will get something cute. Really love the ears but don't want to double the price of the cake just to have them. We'll see what Pat says when I speak to her!
Lynn, I'm on the same page as you on this one. What have you found that you like?

seafoodbuffet

I thought I'd throw our experience into the mix as well. We ordered a cake at Ohana and basically only requested "Haunted Mansion"-themed. As per others' experiences, no mention of the cake was made when we sat down and when our meal was done, the cake magically appeared to the surprise and delight of all. I loved that the purple led behind the ghosts gave the entire thing an eery glow, that was just perfect. Those are chocolate rocks in the graham-cracker graveyard too, amazing.

Sorry about the mess in the background, we were marveling the cake and didn't even think to clean it up for the photo. This is a 2-tier mini cake and despite multiple warnings that it would be a very small cake, it was plenty for four of us (granted we're not big into eating huge slices of cake).

IMG_1796.JPG

LynnMc2015

Need to order my cakes with GF for 27th and 28th Sept. Is today too soon to call Pat to try and arrange these? As these cakes are surprises for my DD and husband I am limited as to when I can call when they are not around. Also calling from the UK so the time difference makes it more awkward. Any advice appreciated!:)

NonnaT

I have a cake/slipper question... I have a dear friend coming to WDW to celebrate his 35th wedding anniversary and I leave the world 2 weeks before they arrive. Is there a way (knowing their ADRs of course) that I can arrange a cake and magical moment for them? I did it before but had stuff delivered to a room, and it wasn't cake. I really really really want to surprise them. Is it possible without giving it away? (ie: have the cake brought to their table without the hostess reminder that seems to be needed) TIA!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Need to order my cakes with GF for 27th and 28th Sept. Is today too soon to call Pat to try and arrange these? As these cakes are surprises for my DD and husband I am limited as to when I can call when they are not around. Also calling from the UK so the time difference makes it more awkward. Any advice appreciated!:)

I'd call now...especially since it may take you longer being in the UK. While the GF is definitely one of the ones that's better at working things out with less time, there's peace of mind in getting it done. I know it's harder to pull this off when you're outside of the US, but here are a few points that might help...

1. I can't quite figure out the hours when Pat is in. Sometimes I can get her in around lunch time in the US (eastern time zone) and sometimes I get the voicemail. When she's called me back, it's been anywhere from mid-afternoon to dinner time to oddly late. Seriously, I got a call from her on this last cake around 8:15pm ET. But based on all of this, I'd try calling on the later side to boost your odds of getting her in.
2. IF you don't get Pat in...there is a # for private dining that she leaves in her voicemail. It's really more for last minute cakes at the GF, but you may be more likely to get one of them on the phone. So, if you get Pat's voicemail, get ready to copy down the number she has on there for private dining so you can reach out to them.

Let us know how it goes. :)

I have a cake/slipper question... I have a dear friend coming to WDW to celebrate his 35th wedding anniversary and I leave the world 2 weeks before they arrive. Is there a way (knowing their ADRs of course) that I can arrange a cake and magical moment for them? I did it before but had stuff delivered to a room, and it wasn't cake. I really really really want to surprise them. Is it possible without giving it away? (ie: have the cake brought to their table without the hostess reminder that seems to be needed) TIA!

I've seen it done with mixed success. The best thing you can do is call the resort bakery corresponding to the restaurant where they have their ADR and see if they can work with you. Keep us posted.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I've been bad about cake updates, but things have been busy.

This is a 6" from he GF for- quote was $60

ryan-bday-cake-jpeg.120894

The next 2 were from the Contemporary bakery-$60 each...

starwars-cake-jpg.121133

lilo-stich-cake-jpg.121134

They even put a hidden Mickey on the Star Wars cake...

hidden-mickey-jpg.121132

Contemporary made this Big Hero 6 themed cake for $74...

image-jpg.120500

image-jpg.120501

I can tell from the filling that it's fresh fruite, so that obviously increased the price.

Now some wedding cakes. They call this rustic sunflower...

3235251707c17bd38274c10e1d959cd1.jpg

57510faef0344f60dacb93a294becf69.jpg

Looks like someone handed over the big bucks for the projection cake...

146e47275c999b0ef89d24b78111fa95.jpg
4b4eff609feeebe5cfa7b8cb5d61d1c2.jpg

A cute Peter Pan concept...

d48b50044cb7fa7017ca5d474046b041.jpg
\

Looks like they are pitching the projection cake for villain based after parties...

upload_2015-9-5_11-58-11.jpeg

Finally, I can't remember if I shared this one or not.

superhero cake.jpg

It wasn't Disney-made, but it could be...well, at least the Marvel ones. Wedding on the front and super hero on the back.

NonnaT

I'd call now...especially since it may take you longer being in the UK. While the GF is definitely one of the ones that's better at working things out with less time, there's peace of mind in getting it done. I know it's harder to pull this off when you're outside of the US, but here are a few points that might help...

1. I can't quite figure out the hours when Pat is in. Sometimes I can get her in around lunch time in the US (eastern time zone) and sometimes I get the voicemail. When she's called me back, it's been anywhere from mid-afternoon to dinner time to oddly late. Seriously, I got a call from her on this last cake around 8:15pm ET. But based on all of this, I'd try calling on the later side to boost your odds of getting her in.
2. IF you don't get Pat in...there is a # for private dining that she leaves in her voicemail. It's really more for last minute cakes at the GF, but you may be more likely to get one of them on the phone. So, if you get Pat's voicemail, get ready to copy down the number she has on there for private dining so you can reach out to them.

Let us know how it goes. :)

I've seen it done with mixed success. The best thing you can do is call the resort bakery corresponding to the restaurant where they have their ADR and see if they can work with you. Keep us posted.
Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom