WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

klocke2011

Hi! I've lurked on this forum for a long time and it's fantastic. I recently went to WDW for my birthday and ordered a custom cake, thanks to reading all the very helpful advice on here. The cake was Maleficent themed, a mini wedding cake. I ordered it for Ohana, so I worked with Pat at the GF bakery and she was great. They added glitter/sparkle to the icing and it really helped make the cake fantastic. It cost $70, $30 of which was the custom-made horns on top. The flavor was chocolate. Thanks again for all your help! P1100020.JPG P1100022.JPG P1100028.JPG

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
@HouCuseChickie, maybe you can answer this for me, as I can't find the specific page I thought I saw it on. Will they allow a mix-and-match of characters on a single cake, or is it one-and-done? I was thinking about ordering a cake that would mix design elements from three different characters (the favorites of my travel companions and myself), but have a nagging feeling that I read somewhere on here that something like that wouldn't be possible. For example, adding a symbol from Peter Pan and from Lilo & Stitch to a cake (not the figures or images of the characters themselves), versus only allowing one character element.

They won't permit mixing and matching outside of cartoons/movies. I asked to pair Donald with Stitch last year and was told this is a strict no-no. So,you could have Peter Pan with other Peter Pan characters and Lilo & Stitch with other characters from their respective movie, but they can't appear together on a single cake since they are from different Disney movies. I know it's frustrating since I have a number of family cake ideas where our faves appear. The only thing I could suggest is to pick the character scheme you'd prefer they cover...go for a cake design that might work for both...and then toss on some elements from home for the other character when the cake is to be brought out to your table.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi! I've lurked on this forum for a long time and it's fantastic. I recently went to WDW for my birthday and ordered a custom cake, thanks to reading all the very helpful advice on here. The cake was Maleficent themed, a mini wedding cake. I ordered it for Ohana, so I worked with Pat at the GF bakery and she was great. They added glitter/sparkle to the icing and it really helped make the cake fantastic. It cost $70, $30 of which was the custom-made horns on top. The flavor was chocolate. Thanks again for all your help! View attachment 113709 View attachment 113710 View attachment 113711

Wow! I really like the glitter in the icing...it has a really cool texture! I know the custom horns are a significant upcharge, but they totally make the cake! Thanks for sharing :)

Kate Alan

They won't permit mixing and matching outside of cartoons/movies. I asked to pair Donald with Stitch last year and was told this is a strict no-no. So,you could have Peter Pan with other Peter Pan characters and Lilo & Stitch with other characters from their respective movie, but they can't appear together on a single cake since they are from different Disney movies. I know it's frustrating since I have a number of family cake ideas where our faves appear. The only thing I could suggest is to pick the character scheme you'd prefer they cover...go for a cake design that might work for both...and then toss on some elements from home for the other character when the cake is to be brought out to your table.

That's what I thought - thanks! I'll try to come up with something else :)

Rolly

I have a few cakes from our trip--two for my birthday, one for my mom. I ended up with two cakes because we were sure the Pooh cake was not going to work out (Pat had not called me back, and we were dangerously close to my birthday). My mom insisted I get a 'back up' cake, so I opted for one of mini cakes from the Contemporary. I figured that way I could keep the cost down, in case the Pooh cake still ended up happening. The Pooh cake DID happen on my birthday, so that was wonderful. We also enjoyed a cake that I ordered to say thank you to my mom for, you know, giving birth to me and raising me and being the best for forever, and it was such a lovely surprise for her. It was a very cake-heavy trip, but we never needed to order any breakfast or dessert! Anyway, here are the cakes:

Rolly cake from the Contemporary. It's a mini wedding cake--I asked for no topper, black spots, and red at the bottom of each tier. We were staying at the Contemporary, so had the cake delivered to our room. I put a Rolly figurine on top. The cake itself is vanilla, the filling is white chocolate mousse, and the frosting is vanilla buttercream (basically the standard vanilla option for the mini wedding cake). Cost was $47--I'm thinking this is with tax and maybe room delivery, as it is listed on my bill as Room Service.

IMG_2811.JPG IMG_2802.JPG

Pooh Singin in the Rain cake from GF Bakery. Had dinner at Narcoossee's. We put the figurine on when on the cake when it arrived at the table. It's a Lenox that I brought in its box. As HouCuseChickie recommended, I told Pat about the figurine and we opted to do fondant to support the figurine/keep the figurine clean. Pat checked out the photo of the figurine that I sent her, and matched up cake colors accordingly. It was a 6 or 8" yellow cake (I want to say 6"), with strawberries and custard filling and vanilla buttercream. It was $65.

IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2789.JPG

Pegasus cake from GF Bakery. My mom is a fan of Pegasus from Hercules, so I got a figure off of eBay. I asked Pat to put some swirly clouds somewhere on the cake, because the base of the figurine has clouds. Again, I sent her a photo of the figurine, and she matched up the colors and cloud design. We had Afternoon Tea at the GF, and they were nice and sneaky about the cake. I was able to slip the figurine to our server, and she delivered the cake soon after. It's the mini castle cake, but without the castle. It's vanilla cake, with strawberry mousse filling and vanilla buttercream. I can't find the receipt right now but I want to say it was somewhere below or around $30. I just mostly remember our bill being pretty low.

IMG_2829.JPG

Sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully this is helpful to anyone that might want to bring a figurine from home. I thought it was a really great way to get the cakes and characters I wanted. Admittedly, these cakes were pretty simple without the figurine, but the prices weren't too bad.

LynnMc2015

Back from our recent trip and time to post pics of all the wonderful cakes we had. All were made by the Contemprary and I liaised with Chef Brian and Magic Kingdom Cakes, both of whom were fabulous.

These first 2 cakes were served on our first day at The Plaza in MK. I had to ask our server about them rather than them being brought out automatically at the end of the meal but it didn't spoil the surprise.

The Lilo and Stitch one was chocolate cake with chocolate filling (buttercream I think) and cost $55. The Mickey one was marble cake with dark chocloate mousse filling and cost $35. Both were great.
Our 2nd Magical Disney Adventure 025.JPG
Our 2nd Magical Disney Adventure 026.JPG

The next cake was served at The Crystal Palace and was for our 10th Anniversary. They knew about this cake but the order form was on our table when we sat down but DH didn't notice (it was supposed to be another surprise!). Again, this was chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling to match our wedding cake and tasted great. The cost was $59. If you have read any of my previous posts you will recall that this was the cake I was originally struggling with the GF bakery over and ended up having to change our plans at the last minute in order to get this. I was really pleased with it. Our server said the touching candles were to represent '2 hearts but one life' which I thought was sweet.
Our 2nd Magical Disney Adventure 238.JPG

The final cake was served at Cinderella's Royal Table and they knew all about this one and was a big surprise for my DD. This was chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse filing and cost $65. She loved it, especially the lit up castle.
Our 2nd Magical Disney Adventure 309.JPG

Chef Brian and his team did a fantastic job and am so grateful to them. We also got our DD the Glass Slipper Dessert at 1900 Park Fayre which was $15 - she loved this too!
Our 2nd Magical Disney Adventure 412.JPG

A big Thank You to everyone on this thread who has provided ideas and been so helpful. It is really appreciated.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I have a few cakes from our trip--two for my birthday, one for my mom. I ended up with two cakes because we were sure the Pooh cake was not going to work out (Pat had not called me back, and we were dangerously close to my birthday). My mom insisted I get a 'back up' cake, so I opted for one of mini cakes from the Contemporary. I figured that way I could keep the cost down, in case the Pooh cake still ended up happening. The Pooh cake DID happen on my birthday, so that was wonderful. We also enjoyed a cake that I ordered to say thank you to my mom for, you know, giving birth to me and raising me and being the best for forever, and it was such a lovely surprise for her. It was a very cake-heavy trip, but we never needed to order any breakfast or dessert! Anyway, here are the cakes:

Rolly cake from the Contemporary. It's a mini wedding cake--I asked for no topper, black spots, and red at the bottom of each tier. We were staying at the Contemporary, so had the cake delivered to our room. I put a Rolly figurine on top. The cake itself is vanilla, the filling is white chocolate mousse, and the frosting is vanilla buttercream (basically the standard vanilla option for the mini wedding cake). Cost was $47--I'm thinking this is with tax and maybe room delivery, as it is listed on my bill as Room Service.

View attachment 113733 View attachment 113734

Pooh Singin in the Rain cake from GF Bakery. Had dinner at Narcoossee's. We put the figurine on when on the cake when it arrived at the table. It's a Lenox that I brought in its box. As HouCuseChickie recommended, I told Pat about the figurine and we opted to do fondant to support the figurine/keep the figurine clean. Pat checked out the photo of the figurine that I sent her, and matched up cake colors accordingly. It was a 6 or 8" yellow cake (I want to say 6"), with strawberries and custard filling and vanilla buttercream. It was $65.

View attachment 113736 View attachment 113735

Pegasus cake from GF Bakery. My mom is a fan of Pegasus from Hercules, so I got a figure off of eBay. I asked Pat to put some swirly clouds somewhere on the cake, because the base of the figurine has clouds. Again, I sent her a photo of the figurine, and she matched up the colors and cloud design. We had Afternoon Tea at the GF, and they were nice and sneaky about the cake. I was able to slip the figurine to our server, and she delivered the cake soon after. It's the mini castle cake, but without the castle. It's vanilla cake, with strawberry mousse filling and vanilla buttercream. I can't find the receipt right now but I want to say it was somewhere below or around $30. I just mostly remember our bill being pretty low.

View attachment 113737

Sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully this is helpful to anyone that might want to bring a figurine from home. I thought it was a really great way to get the cakes and characters I wanted. Admittedly, these cakes were pretty simple without the figurine, but the prices weren't too bad.

LOVE the cakes!!! Such a cute Lenox Pooh piece :) The raindrops on the side of the cake are such a cute touch. I also really like how they did the frosting around the base of Pegasus.

Back from our recent trip and time to post pics of all the wonderful cakes we had. All were made by the Contemprary and I liaised with Chef Brian and Magic Kingdom Cakes, both of whom were fabulous.

These first 2 cakes were served on our first day at The Plaza in MK. I had to ask our server about them rather than them being brought out automatically at the end of the meal but it didn't spoil the surprise.

The Lilo and Stitch one was chocolate cake with chocolate filling (buttercream I think) and cost $55. The Mickey one was marble cake with dark chocloate mousse filling and cost $35. Both were great.View attachment 113915 View attachment 113916

The next cake was served at The Crystal Palace and was for our 10th Anniversary. They knew about this cake but the order form was on our table when we sat down but DH didn't notice (it was supposed to be another surprise!). Again, this was chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling to match our wedding cake and tasted great. The cost was $59. If you have read any of my previous posts you will recall that this was the cake I was originally struggling with the GF bakery over and ended up having to change our plans at the last minute in order to get this. I was really pleased with it. Our server said the touching candles were to represent '2 hearts but one life' which I thought was sweet.
View attachment 113917

The final cake was served at Cinderella's Royal Table and they knew all about this one and was a big surprise for my DD. This was chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse filing and cost $65. She loved it, especially the lit up castle.
View attachment 113918

Chef Brian and his team did a fantastic job and am so grateful to them. We also got our DD the Glass Slipper Dessert at 1900 Park Fayre which was $15 - she loved this too!
View attachment 113919

A big Thank You to everyone on this thread who has provided ideas and been so helpful. It is really appreciated.

Wow! Everything turned out so nice!!! I'm really happy the Contemporary was able to create the anniversary cake for you without charging an insane amount for the mouse ears. Also love that the mini wedding cake with the castle was done with the dark blue. It really gives it a nice pop with the accent colors. So glad all of your cakes worked out :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Has anyone ever done a Wreck It Ralph Cake? Going back down for my daughters birthday and that's what she wants. Any pics? Thanks.

I know there is one somewhere in the thread...the questions is- Where? I'm pretty sure it involved edible 2d images of Ralph and Vannelope, but I'll have to dig for it a little bit later and post again. I think there was also a wedding cake somewhere in here with more of the brick game theme between Ralph and Fix it Felix. I'll try and find the pics and post later today.

bjb1124

So, I've got a mix of things to share.

Ultimately, I called...went over some basics and details with a CM...he took my ideas and contact info...then someone else emailed me with the images. He said they'd email me within a few hours, but the email came within minutes. I replied with all of my cake specifics and shortly after that, I received a reply in a matter of minutes saying that my request would be sent over to the bakery and they'd get back with me as soon as they had a quote. I'll have to call again to formally place the order once the quote is sent to me.

I asked for a 6" chocolate cake covered in fondant with chocolate buttercream under the fondant - simple enough, but my #1 filling choice was cannoli cream - if it's nut free. #2 was apricot mousse and #3 was mocha mousse. So, we'll see if they can accommodate this.

I'll keep everyone posted, but for the most part...it's been pleasant working with this bakery. Convo was a little more awkward than the Contemporary bakery, but still decent.

OK- that's it for now. :)

Hi all-
I have been trying to envision a cake for my brother-in-law. We will be on a family vacation in early December so will be celebrating his birthday during the trip. He is NOT a big Disney fan, so I am trying to do extra things to make is special for him.

Anyway, he is a retired Chief Petty Officer. For his daughter's wedding this year, she asked him to wear his dress blues. So you see it still runs in his veins. I found the following idea for a nautical 70th birthday. While reviewing this and another board for Disney cakes, I saw the following sketch, which would fit well with my nautical idea. I didn't see the final cake, though. Were they able to fulfill your idea? I don't want to steal your artwork but it will go perfectly for DBIL Would love to know if they were able to capture your inspiration!
vintage 1945.png
donald duck cake sketch.jpg

Updated: I did find where the bakery wasn't getting back to you so you went with another bakery. I hope you don't mind if I utilize your idea/sketch to communicate what we want for the cake. We're going to be using CB so hopefully you may see a close replication of your fabulous image.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi all-
I have been trying to envision a cake for my brother-in-law. We will be on a family vacation in early December so will be celebrating his birthday during the trip. He is NOT a big Disney fan, so I am trying to do extra things to make is special for him.

Anyway, he is a retired Chief Petty Officer. For his daughter's wedding this year, she asked him to wear his dress blues. So you see it still runs in his veins. I found the following idea for a nautical 70th birthday. While reviewing this and another board for Disney cakes, I saw the following sketch, which would fit well with my nautical idea. I didn't see the final cake, though. Were they able to fulfill your idea? I don't want to steal your artwork but it will go perfectly for DBIL Would love to know if they were able to capture your inspiration!
.View attachment 116092 View attachment 116093

Updated: I did find where the bakery wasn't getting back to you so you went with another bakery. I hope you don't mind if I utilize your idea/sketch to communicate what we want for the cake. We're going to be using CB so hopefully you may see a close replication of your fabulous image.

I just messaged you. As I said in the message, I am perfectly fine with you using it. At least it can be put to use for someone and I can't wait to see what the Contemporary bakery could do with it. I think it's a great idea and fit for your plans. Can't wait to see what they can do with this :)

ladyelenawf

I am so beyond angry right now. I sent an email to Pat @ GFRS about remaking my Disneymoon cake on 26SEP. She never replied. Ok, whatever. I just shifted to Chef Brian @ Contemporary. He replied within 48 hours. He could not only remake the cake, but would do it for $40 (instead of the original $65) b/c I wanted simpler decorations! Sooo...I ordered two. 1 at the end of the trip with my mom to take to DH as a thank you gift & 1 for my upcoming anniversary trip w/ DH. Well, Saturday 24OCT Pat emails me. Not only a month late, but to tell me that the cake can be done for $90. She just needs a credit card to process it. Since when do they do that? I thought it was purchased through the restaurant. I know it might make sense on some level, but I am seriously too ticked to process it right now. Emailing guest services after this. I just needed to vent where folks would understand. So I don't come across as crazy to GS. DH said, "You aren't ordering from her anyway, so why does it matter?" Grrrrrrrr...not the point! I did reply that email of hers less than 30 min after she sent it (at 10pm!!). I'm just now getting any automated response that she's out of the office on sun/mon. Not feeling any less peeved.

***EDIT***
Called the private dining # listed in the automated reply. A nice CM listened. She was so sweet, then she got me over to the Bakery. I talked w/ a very sympathetic Monica. Seems all the main chefs were either out or busy. She seemed very concerned as well. She's going to relay this to Chef Eric later when he is free & Chef Christine tomorrow when she gets in. She asked if it'd be okay for Chef Christine to call me tomorrow. I said it was & and reiterated that I didn't want anything as I've already got my cakes taken care of. My main issues were delayed response, $25 up-charge, & wanting of my CC to process the order. Monica sounded genuinely concerned about this too. So at least I feel better & I don't have to email GS & wait on them either.

Thank you for reading all this.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I am so beyond angry right now. I sent an email to Pat @ GFRS about remaking my Disneymoon cake on 26SEP. She never replied. Ok, whatever. I just shifted to Chef Brian @ Contemporary. He replied within 48 hours. He could not only remake the cake, but would do it for $40 (instead of the original $65) b/c I wanted simpler decorations! Sooo...I ordered two. 1 at the end of the trip with my mom to take to DH as a thank you gift & 1 for my upcoming anniversary trip w/ DH. Well, Saturday 24OCT Pat emails me. Not only a month late, but to tell me that the cake can be done for $90. She just needs a credit card to process it. Since when do they do that? I thought it was purchased through the restaurant. I know it might make sense on some level, but I am seriously too ticked to process it right now. Emailing guest services after this. I just needed to vent where folks would understand. So I don't come across as crazy to GS. DH said, "You aren't ordering from her anyway, so why does it matter?" Grrrrrrrr...not the point! I did reply that email of hers less than 30 min after she sent it (at 10pm!!). I'm just now getting any automated response that she's out of the office on sun/mon. Not feeling any less peeved.

***EDIT***
Called the private dining # listed in the automated reply. A nice CM listened. She was so sweet, then she got me over to the Bakery. I talked w/ a very sympathetic Monica. Seems all the main chefs were either out or busy. She seemed very concerned as well. She's going to relay this to Chef Eric later when he is free & Chef Christine tomorrow when she gets in. She asked if it'd be okay for Chef Christine to call me tomorrow. I said it was & and reiterated that I didn't want anything as I've already got my cakes taken care of. My main issues were delayed response, $25 up-charge, & wanting of my CC to process the order. Monica sounded genuinely concerned about this too. So at least I feel better & I don't have to email GS & wait on them either.

Thank you for reading all this.

Sounds like you had quite the headache. I know the credit card is usually taken to cover the charges for the cake in case you are a no show. Minus a few rare cases of being charged in advance, the cake would be tacked on to your bill for your meal or charged to your room if delivered to your room after check in. As for the upcharge...I still can't figure out pricing. I mean, I have rough ideas, but I'm never 100%. The GF is notorious for being more $ than the other bakeries, but it's usually only a few dollars more. That's a HUGE pricing difference.

ladyelenawf

The CC covering for no shows makes sense, but the over an email part bothers me. I get that GF makes wedding cakes & that equals an upcharge. It just kills me that she upcharged a previously made cake. I haven't heard anything from them, but I hope it's at least being addressed. I've read though the previous posts, maybe she's just tired of her job. I mean $75 for mini-ears? She's clearly lost it.

sandam1

Due to a bunch of unexpected roadblocks, I feel like I am seriously behind on making final decisions and ordering a cake for my upcoming vacation (11/10-11/13). I am staying at the Wilderness Lodge. The cake is for my 40th birthday, which I am celebrating early due to my work schedule. But I have a few questions first.
  1. I'm going back and forth between having it delivered to the room the day we check in, so we can enjoy it when we get back to the room from an evening at Hollywood Studios OR the next evening when we are having dinner at Whispering Canyon. While it seems more special to have it delivered at the restaurant, it would a nice late night snack on our arrival day.
  2. It appears that there are 2 sizes that might work for us - a mini cake or a 6". There are only two of us on this trip, but again, I want some leftovers, but not too much. Thoughts?
  3. If I do have it delivered to the room, the guidelines mentioned that you have to already be checked in to your room. Does on-line check-in count or do you have to have physically arrived? This shouldn't be a problem, but I always like to have a Plan B.
I think that's it for now. Thanks!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Due to a bunch of unexpected roadblocks, I feel like I am seriously behind on making final decisions and ordering a cake for my upcoming vacation (11/10-11/13). I am staying at the Wilderness Lodge. The cake is for my 40th birthday, which I am celebrating early due to my work schedule. But I have a few questions first.
  1. I'm going back and forth between having it delivered to the room the day we check in, so we can enjoy it when we get back to the room from an evening at Hollywood Studios OR the next evening when we are having dinner at Whispering Canyon. While it seems more special to have it delivered at the restaurant, it would a nice late night snack on our arrival day.
  2. It appears that there are 2 sizes that might work for us - a mini cake or a 6". There are only two of us on this trip, but again, I want some leftovers, but not too much. Thoughts?
  3. If I do have it delivered to the room, the guidelines mentioned that you have to already be checked in to your room. Does on-line check-in count or do you have to have physically arrived? This shouldn't be a problem, but I always like to have a Plan B.
I think that's it for now. Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply...

I would go for a 6" over a mini if you're looking for something to snack on. As for restaurant vs room delivery, it's my understanding online check-in does not count. Now, you may be able to work with the bakery for a later delivery to ensure you get it on that arrival day, but it's iffy. Still, for a shorter trip, I could see why you'd want cake on that arrival day. Personally, I would call the cake # for WL tomorrow morning and see what they have to say.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I know...it's been a while, but things have been insanely busy..and now that tings have calmed down a bit..well...my motivation is lacking. I will do posts at a later time with regular cakes and even some Disneyland cakes. But....for now, enjoy some wedding cakes made by the Disney bakeries (and I apologize if there are any duplicates).

fbe8df937c8ed4e6399596bcf6c2e866.jpg

upload_2015-11-12_22-0-0.jpeg

4531a668e734838db323066474bf45cb.jpg

b9dd2e4a9034c3a5cc5efcbd11c90c18.jpg

0171a386a5f8180294dcbc3c4c362a18.jpg

dc039bff5fcb8297f70aeb087f172b5f.jpg

40b9ec17808cdd1cdc652935a4146614.jpg

e337a3875e81ffad7b8213971831edc3.jpg

749c1a2874ff877b62bf0643b10fdaf8.jpg

f0e08e7e3fb3a923ae0bd913d226dec5.jpg

I think I posted this one before...but not sure...
d48b50044cb7fa7017ca5d474046b041.jpg

OK...that's it. Like I said...I'll try and post more soon :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom