WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

DizneyPryncess

@HouCuseChickie Do you happen to know what the cost was on this one from a while back? And also if you know which bakery did this that would be awesome! I want to get a mini cake for my daughter's 4th birthday. This was the picture she went nuts over, since she loves the Little Mermaid. I want to see if they can add an Ariel somewhere. I just don't know if all bakeries will do it. I wanted to have it delivered to Be Our Guest if possible, but I'm not sure which bakery to contact. Thanks so much for the continuation of this thread!! =)

20140312_163919_zpsgx6qohof.jpg

DizneyPryncess

So I can't decide. Do we get a mickey face cake, the frosted mini or the cake with the ears with Colin's name on it. I'm totally stumped! Any input?? This is a smash cake so I am thinking more of a 6" round. But then I don't want Colin to make a huge mess. So I am leaning towards the frosted mini. And there is something about the cuteness. I could then do a mickey hat topped cake for his 1st bday party. UGH! I can't decide. Can anyone help me choose? Thank you!

I would do the frosted mini - how cute would that be as a smash cake!? Then you can go all out & get a big cake for his party. However you decide though, it will be adorable! So excited to follow your trip. :)

Betsyboo

So I can't decide. Do we get a mickey face cake, the frosted mini or the cake with the ears with Colin's name on it. I'm totally stumped! Any input?? This is a smash cake so I am thinking more of a 6" round. But then I don't want Colin to make a huge mess. So I am leaning towards the frosted mini. And there is something about the cuteness. I could then do a mickey hat topped cake for his 1st bday party. UGH! I can't decide. Can anyone help me choose? Thank you!

If it was me I'd go with the smaller frosted mini only because of the venue and the possible mess.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I would do the frosted mini - how cute would that be as a smash cake!? Then you can go all out & get a big cake for his party. However you decide though, it will be adorable! So excited to follow your trip. :)

Thanks!! I think the frosted mini is the way to go!! :) I love the littler mermaid one you found a pic of!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I ordered a cake last year and they never brought it out. The surprise wasn't the same after tracking it down. I wouldn't order another

That's too bad. I know it does happen though...even when you call and confirm. Which bakery/restaurant was it?

Sorry about that! This should do it!

Nice! Thanks for posting! One of these days, I'm going to do a villain cake.

I agree on the Marry Poppins idea. I thought the one with just the windows with the windowboxes and flowers really could be Cherry Tree Lane if they added blossoms to the trees etc.

I'm sure they designed it with that in mind too. Funny how such a detailed cake can also be such a blank slate to fit a few Disney movies.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

You could do a mini topped with the mini ears. They can still spell his name out on the cake board.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
@HouCuseChickie Do you happen to know what the cost was on this one from a while back? And also if you know which bakery did this that would be awesome! I want to get a mini cake for my daughter's 4th birthday. This was the picture she went nuts over, since she loves the Little Mermaid. I want to see if they can add an Ariel somewhere. I just don't know if all bakeries will do it. I wanted to have it delivered to Be Our Guest if possible, but I'm not sure which bakery to contact. Thanks so much for the continuation of this thread!! =)

20140312_163919_zpsgx6qohof.jpg

I can't be 100%, but with the writing style on the plate...I'm leaning towards thinking this was made by BW or YC/BC. Still, I know GF will also make a cake like this. Unfortunately, BOG is serviced by the Contemporary bakery and they stopped doing custom minis back in fall/early winter of 2013. You can reach out to them to see how much they'd be willing to do, but they might make you bump up to a 6".

I suspect this cake was in the $55-65 range...possibly closer to $70 because of the shells and dinglehopper. At those prices, it would be worth to compare pricing for a 6". It will probably be a little more if they add the character, but they should be able to do a 2d edible standup image of Ariel. There is the 3d white chocolate Ariel, but that will add a significant cost to the cake.

DizneyPryncess

I can't be 100%, but with the writing style on the plate...I'm leaning towards thinking this was made by BW or YC/BC. Still, I know GF will also make a cake like this. Unfortunately, BOG is serviced by the Contemporary bakery and they stopped doing custom minis back in fall/early winter of 2013. You can reach out to them to see how much they'd be willing to do, but they might make you bump up to a 6".

I suspect this cake was in the $55-65 range...possibly closer to $70 because of the shells and dinglehopper. At those prices, it would be worth to compare pricing for a 6". It will probably be a little more if they add the character, but they should be able to do a 2d edible standup image of Ariel. There is the 3d white chocolate Ariel, but that will add a significant cost to the cake.

Thank you so much!! I'd be willing to do a 6", I was on the fence between the two. If they can't do it, I can ask the Boardwalk Bakery to do it, and deliver to POFQ rather than to dinner. Or I can have it brought to another dinner, I am having a hard time finalizing my ADR's this time around. The 2d standup would be perfect - I don't think DD will eat the white chocolate figurine and it is so much more. Hopefully this works out! I am planning way ahead, so I won't have any updates until fall. But I promise I will come back & post photo's of whatever we end up with!! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thank you so much!! I'd be willing to do a 6", I was on the fence between the two. If they can't do it, I can ask the Boardwalk Bakery to do it, and deliver to POFQ rather than to dinner. Or I can have it brought to another dinner, I am having a hard time finalizing my ADR's this time around. The 2d standup would be perfect - I don't think DD will eat the white chocolate figurine and it is so much more. Hopefully this works out! I am planning way ahead, so I won't have any updates until fall. But I promise I will come back & post photo's of whatever we end up with!! :)

And if the cost of a fondant covered 6" winds up being more than you want to spend, you could always ask them about doing a special buttercream. There are at least 1 or 2 Ariel cakes in this thread where it looks like they used a crusting buttercream, worked in a few colors at the end to achieve a water look, etc. It should be a cheaper route.

Let us know what they have to say/how it goes :)

DizneyPryncess

And if the cost of a fondant covered 6" winds up being more than you want to spend, you could always ask them about doing a special buttercream. There are at least 1 or 2 Ariel cakes in this thread where it looks like they used a crusting buttercream, worked in a few colors at the end to achieve a water look, etc. It should be a cheaper route.

Let us know what they have to say/how it goes :)

Thank you for the advice! I will check the price on them all and see which ends up being the best. I definitely will update with pictures & prices!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It was the GF bakery

Well, hopefully you complained and I'm assuming they didn't try and do any auto charges on your card. Sadly, the GF is usually the bakery that comes up when I hear stories of cakes being forgotten. I'm sorry this happened to you guys...not cool! :(

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Small update...

Saw this on the Disney wedding blog-
f7444bc7da27ecc78e1f6b5c5778ca62.jpg

And while not something we haven't seen before...they posted a progression from sketch to cake of one of the projection cakes. Pretty much rule of thumb that all cakes start with a sketch...I do it, most caking people I know do it, and so does Disney. This is from the GF crew...

Sketch
upload_2015-3-19_23-30-11.jpeg

Digital
upload_2015-3-19_23-30-30.jpeg

Actual Cake
9e4b639c41b72b5233a1f1ba208c1b5f.jpg

Now a few non-wedding cakes...

This was made by the Contemporary bakery for $45. I'm not sure if they're bending on the no elaborate mini cake policy or if it's because it was for Carrie/Lurkyloo.

IMG_3449.jpg

Now here's a first...cakes from the Four Seasons. $45 each...

IMG_3137.jpg

OK- back to a wedding cake. This was from Aulani

gallery_hawaii_wishes_cakes_7.jpg

This was $63 from the Contemporary bakery, and I think it was inspired by Pooh's bday cake...

IMG_6626.jpg

Well, that's it for now :)

kirari

oh, okay. I wouldn't have guessed it.

I was wondering, what red velvet tastes? I don't know that here, And I've seen a lot of cake with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom