WDWFreak53, car discussion

WDWFREAK53

Omg you got it?!

Yep.

I work at the end of a private way. It's parked right outside my office window (I'm on the ground floor). 7 cars have already stopped and the drivers have got out and walked all around it. One guy came by twice! :lol:

This car is a Rockstar. Great job GM...GREAT JOB!

I'm letting her break in before I really put her through the paces...but the Brembos are the best brakes I've ever had on a car (I didn't have the Brembos on the Z). Also, the giddyup is awesome...it's really quiet for a muscle car...at idle...but give it some gas and you can hear her come to life.

I've only found two flaws...and I may be really nitpicky with one of them.

1. The paint doesn't match. The very front fascia is just a twinge off from the rest of the car. (The rear fascia is the same way...just not as noticeable). I looked it up and it's a flaw with the orange and the dark blue and it has to do with the paint reacting differently from the plastic and the metal. You really can't notice it unless you're looking for it.

2. Skip Shift. WTH is this all about?!?!?!? The car literally goes from 1st to 4th. There's a bridge that doesn't allow you to go into 2nd from 1st. It doesn't happen all the time...it depends on how the car is being shifted. If I'm going slow, starting off in 1st...and then try to shift into 2nd (like at a stop light when there is traffic in front of you) it automatically blocks you from 2nd and throws you into 4th. Now, in regular driving conditions it doesn't happen...1st to 2nd no problem. (It's not that I'm shifting it wrong either...because a graphic comes up on the Driver Information Center that says, "SKIP SHIFT 1ST-4TH" I guess they've had this in the Vettes for a long time.

I guess there's a chip that will turn this feature off...I'm gonna get it.

EDIT: Ok, I've obviously driven it some more and now that I'm getting comfortable with the shifting, the skip shift doesn't really bother me. This morning on the ride in to work it didn't happen at all.

Leaving work yesterday it caused an accident :lol: A guy was at a stop light next to me...and he was looking over at it and I don't think he knew he was rolling forward and bumped into the car in front of him :lol: Another guy actually followed me (for quite a distance) until he could pull up to me at a stoplight and talk to me about it. (Yes Jerry, this guy (and wife) had a mullet.)

For the amount of weight this car has...it doesn't feel heavy. It's very nimble (not as nimble as my Z though) for its size.

It's raining out so the good pics will have to wait (the rain is ending tonight and I'll be giving her a bath tomorrow morning)...but here's one that was taken at the dealership.

Attachments

• Mine06.jpg
    Mine06.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I've heard there are ways to get around the skip shift, but I don't remember any details. The whole concept seems barbaric to me and it should be optional and something you have to add rather than the other way around.

I guess we can blame CAFE for it.:rolleyes:

WDWFREAK53

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I've heard there are ways to get around the skip shift, but I don't remember any details. The whole concept seems barbaric to me and it should be optional and something you have to add rather than the other way around.

I guess we can blame CAFE for it.:rolleyes:

It's kind of funny..on the display it says, "SHIFT DENIED" LOL Is this a Soviet car? LOL.

WDWFREAK53

Brian... you can bypass/hack CAGS...

http://xse.com/leres/ss/cags.html

oooOOooo Thanks! I'm going to give it a little while and see if it even is noticed. I've been driving it a lot and it hasn't done it all that much.

You can't go anywhere without it taking forever now. I just went to Dunks and I was there for 15 minutes to a guy that stopped me...and then of course, I pulled over to talk to him and more people came out. I remember you saying something about this with your Z Gary. It happened when I got my Beetle...but not this bad.

I kinda think with all of the "blend in" eco-boxes out there...people really want to see something with some power and style.

WDWFREAK53

..I'm putting more up on facebook...but here are a few.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0

WDWFREAK53

I have an audio question.

The Camaro has a USB port. What is the best device to use to play music through it? (It has an Aux port also but the USB allows the device to be controlled using the stereo controls and the steering wheel controls).

I have a 4th Gen iPod and it won't work. The USB port will charge the iPod but it will not play any music. I plug my iPhone in...and it works fine.

I went out and bought an 8GB Flash Drive and attempted to put music onto it... It appears that all of my music is there but when I play it in the car only one song shows up. After trying to see what was up with that, I found out that that one song is the only mp3 that was on the flash drive. Plenty of music files, but only one mp3. Can iTunes songs be converted into mp3 form? If so, won't quality be lost because you're going from an uncompressed version to a compressed version? I just don't understand how the same songs will play with the iPhone plugged in, but not the flash drive. I'm assuming the iPhone/iPods convert them before sending the music out to the speakers.

I'd use the iPhone but I don't want to constantly be plugging it in and unplugging it everytime I get in and out of the car. It's my cellphone. Ideally I want something that I can just leave in the car and only take it out to update the music. I'm not really into the idea of spending another $149 on a new iPod either.

The car also supports Bluetooth Music. How is the quality with that? (I can't try it out until the next software update comes out for the iPhone). If I decide to use the Bluetooth music...would I still be able to control it on the stereo or will it still need to be controlled by the iPhone?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I have an audio question.

The Camaro has a USB port. What is the best device to use to play music through it? (It has an Aux port also but the USB allows the device to be controlled using the stereo controls and the steering wheel controls).

I have a 4th Gen iPod and it won't work. The USB port will charge the iPod but it will not play any music. I plug my iPhone in...and it works fine.

I went out and bought an 8GB Flash Drive and attempted to put music onto it... It appears that all of my music is there but when I play it in the car only one song shows up. After trying to see what was up with that, I found out that that one song is the only mp3 that was on the flash drive. Plenty of music files, but only one mp3. Can iTunes songs be converted into mp3 form? If so, won't quality be lost because you're going from an uncompressed version to a compressed version? I just don't understand how the same songs will play with the iPhone plugged in, but not the flash drive. I'm assuming the iPhone/iPods convert them before sending the music out to the speakers.

I'd use the iPhone but I don't want to constantly be plugging it in and unplugging it everytime I get in and out of the car. It's my cellphone. Ideally I want something that I can just leave in the car and only take it out to update the music. I'm not really into the idea of spending another $149 on a new iPod either.

The car also supports Bluetooth Music. How is the quality with that? (I can't try it out until the next software update comes out for the iPhone). If I decide to use the Bluetooth music...would I still be able to control it on the stereo or will it still need to be controlled by the iPhone?

I haven't studied it much, so I'm going to make a bunch of guesses and maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to step in.

Personally, I've avoided I-Pods and MP3 players because the idea of losing any quality bothers me . . . but when I started running I picked up a cheap MP3 player and it's sort of fun to put a bunch of songs on and shuffle them etc.

My guess is that the USB is purely set up to control the I-Pod functions and not output music. You probably still have to plug the little 1/8 inch jack into your "AUX" input to get any music . . . and that sucks because you're converting the digital signal to analog when you do that.

I have no idea about converting I-Tunes to MP3's (I sort of thought that's the format they used:shrug:). If they do have their own format, I'm guessing they do that to prevent people from copying them and it may be difficult to convert. I think it's a logical assumption that your car audio system can't handle anything other than MP3 format. It makes sense that you can play from the I-Pod because it's tranlating the signal and outputting a simple analog signal (through the auxilliary input).

As for the Blue-Tooth (continuing to guess here) I'd guess that the quality might actually be better since I'd assume it is sending a true digital signal to the audio system (as opposed to the analog signal from the auxilliary).

. . . and since digital signals basically work or don't, you won't get the sort of partial degredation you might with a transmitted analog signal.

All that is some guessing based on some general technical knowledge I have but very little real practical knowledge or understanding of these new systems, so take it for what it's worth.:wave:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I think I've made a decicion on what to do with the insurance money from the Acura.

Yes or no: 2001 BMW M3... Laguna Seca Blue

Like this one:
E46M3LagunaSecaBlue.jpg

A doctor friend of a friend is selling it for a shiny new M3, and the price is too good to pass up ($17k)

WDWFREAK53

I haven't studied it much, so I'm going to make a bunch of guesses and maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to step in.

Personally, I've avoided I-Pods and MP3 players because the idea of losing any quality bothers me . . . but when I started running I picked up a cheap MP3 player and it's sort of fun to put a bunch of songs on and shuffle them etc.

My guess is that the USB is purely set up to control the I-Pod functions and not output music. You probably still have to plug the little 1/8 inch jack into your "AUX" input to get any music . . . and that sucks because you're converting the digital signal to analog when you do that.

I have no idea about converting I-Tunes to MP3's (I sort of thought that's the format they used:shrug:). If they do have their own format, I'm guessing they do that to prevent people from copying them and it may be difficult to convert. I think it's a logical assumption that your car audio system can't handle anything other than MP3 format. It makes sense that you can play from the I-Pod because it's tranlating the signal and outputting a simple analog signal (through the auxilliary input).

As for the Blue-Tooth (continuing to guess here) I'd guess that the quality might actually be better since I'd assume it is sending a true digital signal to the audio system (as opposed to the analog signal from the auxilliary).

. . . and since digital signals basically work or don't, you won't get the sort of partial degredation you might with a transmitted analog signal.

All that is some guessing based on some general technical knowledge I have but very little real practical knowledge or understanding of these new systems, so take it for what it's worth.:wave:

Nope, I don't need to plug it into the Aux Port. It plays right through the USB port (which is why the mp3 played directly off of the flash drive). I believe the iTunes music is in digitial (and not a compressed mp3 format) so going through the USB provides a true digital sound.

I'm actually curious about the Bluetooth Music because I can control the phone through the steering wheel using Bluetooth (hang up, dial, etc.)...so I wouldn't be surprised if I could also control the music. (Of course, my first gen iPhone...even with the new software update...doesn't support Bluetooth Music)

No, iTunes uses a different format because mp3 is compressed and you're getting a digital copy when you download from iTunes.

WDWFREAK53

...ok, these are the last of them...(unless I get the custom stripes done...I'm meeting with them tomorrow)

Some pics after her wash, clay barring, and 2 coats of wax. (Now Biff.... hehe.)

The orange really shows in these pics. I've noticed that the gold flake really pops in direct sunlight and the "orange" shows more when it's slightly overcast. It's a tomato color at night.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 1

oakback

I think I've made a decicion on what to do with the insurance money from the Acura.

Yes or no: 2001 BMW M3... Laguna Seca Blue

Like this one:
E46M3LagunaSecaBlue.jpg

A doctor friend of a friend is selling it for a shiny new M3, and the price is too good to pass up ($17k)
YES YES YES

Just be sure to drive it like it was meant to be driven. Try out autocross or a track day.

WDWFREAK53

Great pics Bri! :sohappy:

Did you hack CAGS yet? :confused: :lookaroun

No I didn't...but I also haven't even had it happen since the 2nd day. :shrug: I'm really comfortable with it now and I was babying it at first...so I'm guessing that's why I kept having it happen. I really have to "try" to get it to happen now.

I can't WAIT to try out "Launch Mode" hehe. (Still breakin' her in though :) )

WDWFREAK53

Some night shots of the interior...

I love how this looks at night.

Pardon the dirtiness of the interior...it's been pretty nasty out so the floor needs to be vacuumed.

First pic is the Inferno Orange Ambient Lighting in the doors
Second pic is the Inferno Orange Ambient rings around the gauges before you start the car.
Third is the center stack (Jer, notice what I was listening to?)
Fourth is the gauges...and I love how it all reflects.
Fifth is to show the cool badges I got to pay homage to the main reason the car is a success.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 4

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom