Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LindsayLoves

D for Dopey! How appropriate :D

Can anyone make sense of the new Goofy/Dopey procedure? Looks like no wristbands this year....

From the event guide:
Dopey Challenge & Goofy’s Race And A Half Challenge
In an effort to enhance our runners’ check-in process, we ask that all Dopey and Goofy Challenge participants have their photo taken with their race bibs. This photo will be used at the finish line of each race to expedite the finish line experience.

After completing the 5K on Thursday, 10K on Friday, Half Marathon on Saturday, and Full Marathon on Sunday, please check in at the Dopey Challenge tent located after the Finish Line. Participants must wear the appropriate Dopey Challenge Bib for the 5K/10K and the Half Marathon/Full Marathon.

After completing the 5K, Dopey participants must visit the Dopey Challenge tent where your official results will be reviewed by race staff.
repeat for the 10k, half, and full.

I think they might be checking to see if people are actually crossing the start line and hitting certain check points so they aren't cheating (particularly in the full) in order to get the Goofy/Dopey medal. I mean how easy would it be to blend into the pack around the Boardwalk with your bib on pretending you just ran the entire full to get the Goofy and Dopey medals? I wonder if people were showing up fresh as a daisy at the end of the race with all their wristbands and getting the Goofy/Dopey medal or even transferring the wristbands to another person for the full (hence the photo). Just my guesses...

FerretAfros

D for Dopey! How appropriate :D

Can anyone make sense of the new Goofy/Dopey procedure? Looks like no wristbands this year....
I'm also in D for Dopey!

As for the procedure, it sounds like what they started doing for Coast to Coast at Avengers. They take a photo of you when you pick up your bib (since you can't have a proxy pick it up any more), and then confirm that it's the same person after the race. Presumably for Goofy and Dopey, the photo will be confirmed and checked off after each race (or perhaps they'll take a new photo after each race), which will eliminate the need for wristbands

I assume as part of this review, they will check to make sure you crossed all the timing mats and/or that your times make sense if one of them didn't register for some reason (which is not uncommon)

They tested the photo procedure at Avengers, and it had mixed results. Despite there being relatively few C2C participants (due to how late the race was announced), they still encountered delays with the system, since each person needs to be checked against their photo. Even if there are no technical difficulties, this will obviously take longer than putting on an extra wristband. I'm very curious to see how this works out with the huge number of Goofy and Dopey participants, and what changes they make as it progresses (like how the wristband queues switched after the 5K last year to much success)

I also think it's funny that the event guide's map of the Jostens Center shows which aisles of the Disney merchandise are for which race. Apparently that was a popular question! :)

LindsayLoves

@Kermit262 - I for Iago, I like that :)

@FerretAfros - thanks for the info. I am kind of happy that this is not the first time they are using this system but with 7000 Dopey runners I am prepared for things to go not-so smoothly, especially for the 5 and 10ks which is when they work out the kinks and there won't be that wide of a gap between finishers.

HVRNCRUZ

Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna
2013 Marathon Weekend - January 10-13, 2013
http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wdw-marathon/

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend
January 5 - 8 2012

Are you taking part? Ask questions, post reports, and anything else to do with this event.
My wife and I are planning to run the WDW Half marathon next month. However, we are only able to purchase/find TWO female bibs. Will there be an issue with me using a female bib? Thank you for you thoughts!

LindsayLoves

@HVRNCRUZ - some issues you might run into...
- The seller(s) will have to pick up the bibs and give them to you, hopefully you have already arranged this part of it.
- The seller(s) name will be on the bib - it might be pretty obvious if your bib has a woman's name on it.
- Please don't run super fast, you will mess up standings and make it very obvious if you come in second woman overall and are not a woman. You and the bib seller will get DQ'ed from all future runDisney races, this happened recently at the DL half.

@Texas84 - they've got to leave something as a surprise for us when we get there, right?

atrus79

K for Kanga here for the Dopey ... was hoping to be in J but it looks like I just missed the cutoff. Oh well ... either way it will be a blast!

Did anyone find it interesting that there is no listing for the 5K? My wife is running with me for the 5k and now I wonder how close or far away she will be in regards to corrals. Does anyone know how many corrals they usually have for the 5K? I'm assuming its the same number as the 10K ...

Kermit262

@atrus79 -- I'm in the same situation. My wife is also running in the 5K. I plan to be with her for the whole race. I hope that's not a problem. If I can't start with her then I'll just have to run really slowly until she catches up.

LindsayLoves

@atrus79 -- I'm in the same situation. My wife is also running in the 5K. I plan to be with her for the whole race. I hope that's not a problem. If I can't start with her then I'll just have to run really slowly until she catches up.

If she is assigned a slower corral than yours you can always drop back and run with her. For example I am in D and will drop back to I for the half to run with my brother. You can only move backwards, my brother would not be allowed to come up and join me in D.

Texas84

K for Kanga here for the Dopey ... was hoping to be in J but it looks like I just missed the cutoff. Oh well ... either way it will be a blast!

Did anyone find it interesting that there is no listing for the 5K? My wife is running with me for the 5k and now I wonder how close or far away she will be in regards to corrals. Does anyone know how many corrals they usually have for the 5K? I'm assuming its the same number as the 10K ...

Another K Dopey runner here! I submitted a 2:06 half though. That's OK. Just trying to beat 5 hours in the full.

Texas84

- The seller(s) will have to pick up the bibs and give them to you, hopefully you have already arranged this part of it.
- The seller(s) name will be on the bib - it might be pretty obvious if your bib has a woman's name on it.
- Please don't run super fast, you will mess up standings and make it very obvious if you come in second woman overall and are not a woman. You and the bib seller will get DQ'ed from all future runDisney races, this happened recently at the DL half.

@Texas84 - they've got to leave something as a surprise for us when we get there, right?

Us Dopeys get to go first, right? ;)

Kermit262

If she is assigned a slower corral than yours you can always drop back and run with her. For example I am in D and will drop back to I for the half to run with my brother. You can only move backwards, my brother would not be allowed to come up and join me in D.
Excellent to hear this. Just what I was hoping. Thanks. :happy:

HVRNCRUZ

OK, thanks for the info. We have made the proper arrangements to ensure they pick up the bibs for us. Luckily, her name is not an obvious woman's name, it will work for me. There will be no concerns about me breaking any land speed records for sure :)

Mad Stitch

Please don't run super fast, you will mess up standings and make it very obvious if you come in second woman overall and are not a woman. You and the bib seller will get DQ'ed from all future runDisney races, this happened recently at the DL half.

I didn't hear that story out of the DL half. Ha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom