Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

Interesting. I guess if they were going to split Goofy they had to do it soon while there is still time to train.
Ah...great point. I was wondering why they were pulling the trigger now. Though I guess it's still too late for people to start Galloway plans.
So the ugliest thing I have seen come out of this on the runDisney facebook page is the lady complaining about fundraising for the half because when it sold out she signed to run with a charity and now she HAS to pay that money and how she would have never done that if she knew that more slots were going to open up. I just can't.
That's just...gross. :grumpy:

LindsayLoves

I love how freaked out people are about the pricing being $200. It was $175 when it opened but since it sold out so fast they weren't able to utilize the tiered pricing. Now that its after August 20 the price is up to its highest level and people are *now* disgusted with how expensive runDisney races are. Yes that is a lot of money for a half (pretty par for the course for major big city marathons) but if you were bummed about missing out the first time around why be so bitter that you have to pay $25 for a second chance?

All comments made by that woman complaining about the charity and anyone who responded to her have been removed.

Someone reported that DVC is booked solid for marathon weekend, is this true?

Half, full, and Goofy are still sitting at 90% since they opened it yesterday.

Ariel484

I love how freaked out people are about the pricing being $200. It was $175 when it opened but since it sold out so fast they weren't able to utilize the tiered pricing. Now that its after August 20 the price is up to its highest level and people are *now* disgusted with how expensive runDisney races are. Yes that is a lot of money for a half (pretty par for the course for major big city marathons) but if you were bummed about missing out the first time around why be so bitter that you have to pay $25 for a second chance?
Right?? Fine, stop running the races, more open spots for meeeee!
All comments made by that woman complaining about the charity and anyone who responded to her have been removed.
I noticed that! I went to look for them and they weren't there...funny how that works. :rolleyes:
I have no idea. I rented points right somewhere in the 10-11 month mark and stopped thinking about/paying attention to what was going on with the resorts as soon as my reservation popped up in my MDE profile.

I saw comments about people asking why there are no resort discounts for Marathon Weekend - they rarely release discounts this early anymore. If they do release any I wouldn't expect them until late October or November.
Half, full, and Goofy are still sitting at 90% since they opened it yesterday.
Was Goofy at 85% before? I forget...sort of stopped paying attention.

LindsayLoves

I have no idea. I rented points right somewhere in the 10-11 month mark and stopped thinking about/paying attention to what was going on with the resorts as soon as my reservation popped up in my MDE profile.
I also stopped paying attention around that time. Anyone out there still looking for a room at this point? Are you finding decent availability?

Pretty sure you are right about that one it never got up to the 90% zone.

FerretAfros

I saw comments about people asking why there are no resort discounts for Marathon Weekend - they rarely release discounts this early anymore. If they do release any I wouldn't expect them until late October or November.
I agree that Disney never releases the discounts until a few months in advance (to get a feel of how popular those times will be, to determine how much to discount), but you can always make a reservation whenever and have them apply the discount at a later date. Though from what I recall last year, the discount didn't start until after Marathon Weekend was over, so there may not be one this year either

That said, I've booked through a race-affiliated travel agent (GetTravel) for several years now, since they have some great discounts on hotels and park tickets. Beginning with the 2014 races, Disney changed the booking rules so you must now get your race registration through the travel agent to get the special hotel pricing, but the cost of a 5K registration (even at the semi-inflated price) is more than offset by the savings over 5 nights. Even more so when you book multiple rooms!

It was somewhere in the 80's. I assume that the jump to 90% was to reflect that a certain number of the Goofy spaces were removed, meaning that a higher percentage of the remaining total registrations have already been sold

I don't think that 90% is completely accurate for any of the races. Assuming they use numbers similar to last year, there will be about 15,000 half-only and full-only spaces, and 5,000 Goofy-only spaces. Assuming they added another 10% to the half and full-only groups, that's 1,500 additional registrations; 1,500 registrations is 30% of Goofy's total, so something doesn't quite add up. At this point, I think it's more of a representation of "Yes, we still have some registration spaces available, but they're limited to act quickly!" than a hard percentage

Ariel484

Has anyone signed up for one of the half/marathon slots?

I just clicked on the registration link for the marathon (purely out of curiosity) and it has the price listed as $170, not $200. Is $170 the actual registration price right now? Hmm.

Doesn't look like many people are biting yet.

LindsayLoves

Goofy is *almost* sold out with the half not too far behind.

dreamfinder

Pretty close to it. My DSis and her husband registered the other day and asked me about DVC. I only checked studio & 1 BR, but I think I could only find studios at one resort for the 7th, and a few scattered one or two nights in a 1BR around property. Nothing that covered Thur-Sun, and I think Sat was fully booked.

LindsayLoves

Just to scare everyone I would like to point out that we are less than 100 days away from the 5k!

runDisney's official countdown is at 98 days, 14 hours and 6 minutes. I am not quite sure what exactly they are counting down to because I have my countdown app set to January 8 @6:15am for the start of the 5k and I am at 99 days and 20 hours.

FerretAfros

Just to scare everyone I would like to point out that we are less than 100 days away from the 5k!

runDisney's official countdown is at 98 days, 14 hours and 6 minutes. I am not quite sure what exactly they are counting down to because I have my countdown app set to January 8 @6:15am for the start of the 5k and I am at 99 days and 20 hours.
They count down to midnight the morning that the expo starts, not the actual expo starting time. I guess that's good enough to count as the start of the race weekend, but it seems a little strange that the time doesn't directly relate to when anything actually begins

LindsayLoves

They count down to midnight the morning that the expo starts, not the actual expo starting time. I guess that's good enough to count as the start of the race weekend, but it seems a little strange that the time doesn't directly relate to when anything actually begins

Thanks for cracking the case on that one. I was thinking it was the opening of the expo but that still didn't match up properly in my estimate.

Mad Stitch

The Castaway Cay Challenge medal has been revealed.

10484165_1019629644729664_2781402504013230174_o.jpg

Mad Stitch

I had forgotten about this challenge. You get this medal for finishing as little as two 5k's!? runDisney has jumped the shark. Nice medal though.

Ariel484

I had forgotten about this challenge. You get this medal for finishing as little as two 5k's!? runDisney has jumped the shark. Nice medal though.
I want to see the course. I thought I heard they were introducing a new course for the CC5K? That's the only way I'd pay to do the challenge. Still pretty freaking steep for a 5K though. And yes...as little as two 5Ks. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but calling that a "challenge" is a stretch.

FerretAfros

I agree that it's a real stretch to call it a "challenge", especially when the 5Ks are nearly a full week apart. Sure, it may be tiresome to do on post-Dopey legs, but the distance is just about right for a nice shakeout run

Then again, I still have a hard enough time calling a back-to-back 10K and Half Marathon a "challenge", so I guess it's no surprise that I don't see a ton of challenge in completing a fun run on a tropical cruise. The real challenge is finding the money and vacation time to support it all!

Ariel484

I agree that it's a real stretch to call it a "challenge", especially when the 5Ks are nearly a full week apart. Sure, it may be tiresome to do on post-Dopey legs, but the distance is just about right for a nice shakeout run

Then again, I still have a hard enough time calling a back-to-back 10K and Half Marathon a "challenge", so I guess it's no surprise that I don't see a ton of challenge in completing a fun run on a tropical cruise. The real challenge is finding the money and vacation time to support it all!
Agree with all of this. They are totally capitalizing on those of us that will pay to do multiple races (yours truly included). :greedy::greedy::greedy:

Ariel484

I got an email from runDisney today - "Welcome to the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend" in the subject line. :eek:

Basically it said that Proof of Time is due October 10 (1 week from tomorrow!) and had links to the course maps - which are the same as last year's, so no official changes to any of the courses yet. Otherwise it all looked like the usual stuff.

Getting closer...!

Kermit262

I got an email from runDisney today - "Welcome to the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend" in the subject line. :eek:

Basically it said that Proof of Time is due October 10 (1 week from tomorrow!) and had links to the course maps - which are the same as last year's, so no official changes to any of the courses yet. Otherwise it all looked like the usual stuff.

Getting closer...!

That's exciting! But I'm a bit disappointed there are no changes to the course - especially the marathon. I was hoping they'd shorten it a little. ;)

Ariel484

That's exciting! But I'm a bit disappointed there are no changes to the course - especially the marathon. I was hoping they'd shorten it a little. ;)
:hilarious:

In all seriousness I keep holding out hope that they'll go back to the old course - add in the early-morning Epcot portion and drop the WWoS portion. Oh well, I can dream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom