Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Texas84

Goofy's sitting at 74%. Crazy!

Anyone made ADRs yet or started training? I think the Galloway programs started recently.

I'm using a Higdon plan so I won't officially start training until mid-September (though I am sort of pre-training now to get in good enough shape to actually start that training plan...). My ADR day is TOMORROW! :) I hope the site cooperates!

Starting early in August because of Wine & Dine. Just doing 10-milers until then. My ADR day for Marathon is also tomorrow. I've got a support crew of about six so I have to get on that. Did you get the magnet with all the dates?

Texas84

The wildcard that will be impossible to train for will be the time spent between races in the parks on my feet. Even with logging all those miles on training runs I am typically not walking more than 4 miles around the neighborhood afterwards (my favorite local brewery is a 3 mile round trip walk from my house so I will have more excuses to head up there to help simulate walking around the parks between races :happy:). I have already mentally built breaks into the park time for myself but man it is going to be hard to 'take it easy' while down there.

Yeah, I'll be lounging at OKW after the half. Maybe go jump in the pool. No parks the day before Marathon. Maybe a boat ride to Downtown to eat or just Olivia's.

Ariel484

Yes on ADRs, we are checking in late on Monday night so we got to book everything yesterday. We are going down so early because I am 100% paranoid about a storm causing a weather delay which will give us plenty of time to make it down even if there are issues. As for booking ADRs things went ok, I had more problems booking dining than I did registering for Dopey, but we did get everything we wanted so all is well. Good luck with your ADRs Shannon!
Lucky you, checking in on Monday. I'm not getting in until Wednesday...ugh, I hope the weather cooperates!
Currently training for my fall marathon which has some good Dopey training incorporated into it. Last week I did 5m on Friday at marathon goal pace and then 10 on Saturday at an easy pace, my legs felt great on Sunday. Eventually it will build to 10m at MGP on Friday and 20m on Saturday.
Can't wait to hear about your marathon. You are going to kill it!!
The wildcard that will be impossible to train for will be the time spent between races in the parks on my feet. Even with logging all those miles on training runs I am typically not walking more than 4 miles around the neighborhood afterwards (my favorite local brewery is a 3 mile round trip walk from my house so I will have more excuses to head up there to help simulate walking around the parks between races :happy:). I have already mentally built breaks into the park time for myself but man it is going to be hard to 'take it easy' while down there.
Yeah, I've been pretty stupid about this in the past. We're staying at the Boardwalk so I'm thinking we'll spend most of our park time in Epcot/DHS, so at least we won't have to travel far. Hoping to take advantage of nearby dining too.
Starting early in August because of Wine & Dine. Just doing 10-milers until then. My ADR day for Marathon is also tomorrow. I've got a support crew of about six so I have to get on that. Did you get the magnet with all the dates?
The dumbo magnet? Yep, I slapped it on the fridge and sort of forgot about it. o_O I guess at some point I should probably think about FP+...

Nice-sized support crew! That is pretty sweet.
Yeah, I'll be lounging at OKW after the half. Maybe go jump in the pool. No parks the day before Marathon. Maybe a boat ride to Downtown to eat or just Olivia's.
Sounds like a solid plan. DTD would turn into too much walking for me because I like to shop too much. :D

atrus79

Anyone made ADRs yet or started training? I think the Galloway programs started recently.

I'm using a Higdon plan so I won't officially start training until mid-September (though I am sort of pre-training now to get in good enough shape to actually start that training plan...). My ADR day is TOMORROW! :) I hope the site cooperates!

Started Galloway's training on July 1 ... in between now and the Dopey, I have a half marathon in November in Princeton, NJ ... so the early start was a good thing ... pushed me to prep for November :)

I'm ready for 6am tomorrow ... spreadsheet itineraries ready to go, hopefully I'll be able to get all the ADR's we want :)

Ariel484

Started Galloway's training on July 1 ... in between now and the Dopey, I have a half marathon in November in Princeton, NJ ... so the early start was a good thing ... pushed me to prep for November :)
How do you like the Galloway plan so far?
I'm ready for 6am tomorrow ... spreadsheet itineraries ready to go, hopefully I'll be able to get all the ADR's we want :)
Haha, I've got my spreadsheet ready too! :) Good luck!!!

dreamfinder

Jealous. But it sounds like a plan. Do your long run Sat AM, and then walk over for refreshments afterwards. I'd bet @Donald Duck would join in with that post training regimen. Alternately, if they do sampler flights, start doing laps, and grab the next taste on the next lap..... I'm sensing a fun idea for a half marathon. A 3oz pour every 2.5 miles!

atrus79

How do you like the Galloway plan so far?

Haha, I've got my spreadsheet ready too! :) Good luck!!!

The Galloway plan is going good ... usually I never use a plan, I just run, but I've also never raced four days in a row, so I figured it was in my best interest to make sure my body could run day over day over day. When the time comes, my plan is to enjoy the race ... I'm not looking to break nay records ... just finish vertically and celebrate the accomplsihement!

How did it go? ... Did you get what you wanted? I was on the PC at 6am and got every ADR we wanted, including BOG (last night celebration dinner) and Ohana (first early evening), so it was a great start to the day. Now that ADR's are set, it's time to train, train train! ;)

Ariel484

I'm sensing a fun idea for a half marathon. A 3oz pour every 2.5 miles!
I can't decide if that sounds fun or awful...:eek: :D
The Galloway plan is going good ... usually I never use a plan, I just run, but I've also never raced four days in a row, so I figured it was in my best interest to make sure my body could run day over day over day. When the time comes, my plan is to enjoy the race ... I'm not looking to break nay records ... just finish vertically and celebrate the accomplsihement!
Good, glad you like it so far. I'm the opposite of you, I ALWAYS use some kind of training plan...I always feel like I need some sort of schedule to follow. But yeah, I think if there was a time to start using one, the time is NOW! :D

Your race strategy sounds exactly like mine! :D I'm planning on taking lots of character photos as usual, no PRs here!
How did it go? ... Did you get what you wanted? I was on the PC at 6am and got every ADR we wanted, including BOG (last night celebration dinner) and Ohana (first early evening), so it was a great start to the day. Now that ADR's are set, it's time to train, train train! ;)
It went...okay. I DID get everything I wanted, but Disney's system is so frustrating. I kept getting "Stitch ate the page!" or "We can't search for tables at this time" or something similar. I wasn't going for any super tough-to-get ADRs (i.e. BOG - congrats on getting that one! - 'Ohana, etc.) so I didn't freak out or anything, but it was annoying. I did the ones I was most nervous about first (Beaches & Cream - because they have so little seating, and Via Napoli - because I'm sure that one is popular during Marathon Weekend) and once I got those I figured I was fine. I just finally got the last one to work. :D

6 months to go!!!

LindsayLoves

Jealous. But it sounds like a plan. Do your long run Sat AM, and then walk over for refreshments afterwards. I'd bet @Donald Duck would join in with that post training regimen. Alternately, if they do sampler flights, start doing laps, and grab the next taste on the next lap..... I'm sensing a fun idea for a half marathon. A 3oz pour every 2.5 miles!

I like that idea better than the beer mile. The thought of drinking 12oz of beer every 200m while trying to run fast makes me realize what my version of hell would look like.

Can't wait to hear about your marathon. You are going to kill it!!

Aw thanks friend.

It went...okay. I DID get everything I wanted, but Disney's system is so frustrating. I kept getting "Stitch ate the page!" or "We can't search for tables at this time" or something similar. I wasn't going for any super tough-to-get ADRs (i.e. BOG - congrats on getting that one! - 'Ohana, etc.) so I didn't freak out or anything, but it was annoying. I did the ones I was most nervous about first (Beaches & Cream - because they have so little seating, and Via Napoli - because I'm sure that one is popular during Marathon Weekend) and once I got those I figured I was fine. I just finally got the last one to work. :D

Sounds exactly like my experience with the reservation system on Wednesday.

I was most nervous about getting Via Napoli for marathon eve because in my mind that is the single most important ADR for that week because pizza and a glass of wine has slowly been turning into my ritual pre-race meal since dining at Via Napoli before the 2013 marathon. Not getting that ADR would've wrecked my mental game big time so when it was telling me "we can't find any tables at this time" I nearly lost my mind. I got one for BOG as well, which was way less stressful.

Ariel484

I like that idea better than the beer mile. The thought of drinking 12oz of beer every 200m while trying to run fast makes me realize what my version of hell would look like.
Yeah, there's no way I wouldn't collapse on the ground writhing around in pain at some point (and let's face it, no way the beer would stay down)...it just would not be pretty.
Aw thanks friend.
:happy: I need a cheerleading emoji!
Sounds exactly like my experience with the reservation system on Wednesday.

I was most nervous about getting Via Napoli for marathon eve because in my mind that is the single most important ADR for that week because pizza and a glass of wine has slowly been turning into my ritual pre-race meal since dining at Via Napoli before the 2013 marathon. Not getting that ADR would've wrecked my mental game big time so when it was telling me "we can't find any tables at this time" I nearly lost my mind. I got one for BOG as well, which was way less stressful.
Yep, Via Napoli is my pre-marathon dinner of choice too. If I hadn't gotten that one I would have probably thrown my computer against the wall.

There's a thread somewhere on the boards from the last day or so where people were talking about trouble with the reservation system, so luckily I'd read that beforehand and knew that it was just the system sucking, and most likely there were still tables available...so I would probably just have to call at 7. The Via Napoli one worked on the first try for me though.

Kermit262

Ariel - glad to see someone else is using the Higdon plan. I also plan to use it. It appears to prepare you well for the Dopey. I've been training all year and so will hit the ground running on week 1 of the program.

Ariel484

Ariel - glad to see someone else is using the Higdon plan. I also plan to use it. It appears to prepare you well for the Dopey. I've been training all year and so will hit the ground running on week 1 of the program.
I think @Texas84 was thinking of using that plan, too. I like how the weekly mileage isn't too high and that every other week is a step-back week. Not sure how I will handle 5-day running weeks or midweek 8-milers though...:eek:

Kermit262

I think @Texas84 was thinking of using that plan, too. I like how the weekly mileage isn't too high and that every other week is a step-back week. Not sure how I will handle 5-day running weeks or midweek 8-milers though...:eek:
I share your same concerns. I've never run more than 4 times a week, and before March of this year never more than 3 times. Plus this plan has you running 13 miles on the first week! But it's the Dopey, so time to step up.

dreamfinder

Hah. That seems a little excessive. 8 beers in a mile? I don't drink that much in a week, never mind over the span of minutes. There is a 5k somewhere around me (read about it someplace) where every mile marker is a beer/hot dog station. You need to chug a full beer and eat a whole hot dog before starting to run again.

Plus this plan has you running 13 miles on the first week! But it's the Dopey, so time to step up.

I'd imagine they are hoping you already have some base distance down?

Texas84

I am. I did the 5 mile Wednesday runs with the Higdon half plan for the Dumbo. I survived. :)

Actually looking forward to the training. Higdon had me prepared for Dumbo. Even had a PR for the half.

Ariel484

I share your same concerns. I've never run more than 4 times a week, and before March of this year never more than 3 times. Plus this plan has you running 13 miles on the first week! But it's the Dopey, so time to step up.
Agreed. I'd hate myself if I came into the weekend under-prepared.
I'd imagine they are hoping you already have some base distance down?
I think so. Higdon states it's not for beginners. I'm doing Saturday 10-milers until training starts in September. I'll ramp up with 11 and 12 milers end of August.

http://www.halhigdon.com/writing/57107/Dopey Challenge Training Guide
What @Texas84 said. Here's a direct quote:
Hal Higdon said:
Don't kid yourself. Dopey is not for first-timers. It is a hard-core and in-your-face challenge. Only experienced runners need apply, meaning: those of you with more than a few half marathons and full marathons under your belts, not to mention a few 5-K's and 10-K's too.
I have a half marathon scheduled for September 7, and the Dopey training starts the next day, so I should be ready for that first 13-miler. I would have preferred having a lower-mileage week before starting Dopey training, but whatever.
I am. I did the 5 mile Wednesday runs with the Higdon half plan for the Dumbo. I survived. :)

Actually looking forward to the training. Higdon had me prepared for Dumbo. Even had a PR for the half.
Despite the fact that I'm nervous, I'm sort of looking forward to it too. I've used his Novice 1 marathon plan twice (first for the 2012 marathon and then for goofy in 2013) and felt good both times, so I know his plans are the real deal. It'll be worth it in January. :)

LindsayLoves

Hah. That seems a little excessive. 8 beers in a mile? I don't drink that much in a week, never mind over the span of minutes. There is a 5k somewhere around me (read about it someplace) where every mile marker is a beer/hot dog station. You need to chug a full beer and eat a whole hot dog before starting to run again.

Ok so my math was very off its a beer every 400m, not 200m, which makes it slightly less ridiculous...
The guy below holds the "world record" in this event, coming in at 4:57.Skip 2 minutes into the video to see him do it, no one needs to hear how he trained for this..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom