Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

AUPr8Hd

As of today, Goofy was sitting at 72%

I'm still baffled it hasn't sold out. But, it just means the $300+ remains in my pocket for a while longer :D

JasonDeyoung

Welcome to the party, with one marathon weekend under my belt I can tell you it will be a great time!

216 days until Dopey begins!

I can't wait! I was suppose to run this year but had to defer :/ I was at wdw two years ago during it but just on vacation and everyone looked like they were having so much fun it was that which got me hooked on rundisney just did EEC so I'm ready for the next one! Def not doing dopey haha but good luck to you

Ariel484

Anyone have any idea when 2015 booking prices will be announced? I want to book a room, but prefer to do so online...
Hmm, I wanna say August? I know you said you prefer to book online but if you really want a room before then you can call and do room-only, then move it to a package later.

Ariel484

Someone sent me a PM about this so I thought I'd just go ahead and post these here for us to dissect and drive ourselves nuts over :D...these are the corrals from last year. From recent races I'd expect them to be similar, but with slight adjustments based on what times other runners submit.*

I'm guessing they will still corral for the 5K and 10K, but that will be based on the estimated times people put in when they registered (which is what they have been doing for awhile now).* Here's hoping they solve the corralling issues Dopey had last year - maybe one bib for the 5K/10K (with corrals for both on the bib) and a second bib for the half marathon/marathon (with two different corrals printed on the bib for the two races, similar to what they did for this year's Glass Slipper Challenge).

half.jpg

full.jpg

Goofy.jpg

Dopey.jpg

*In my not-expert-at-all opinion...take it with a LARGE grain of salt. :D

Texas84

Got OKW booked for Dopey. Just short of points for Beach Club, my first choice. Now more family members are inviting themselves and we don't have room. I might go get myself a value. Maybe I can request a room far from a pool so I can sleep.

LindsayLoves

@Ariel484 - Ok so from what I see the charts for the Full/Goofy/Dopey are all the same - the only variation comes in for the half. For example I am using an updated half time of 1:48:50 which I submitted to TrackShack and they said my predicted full time is 3:43. I am glad I was able to update my time to get that info from them in black and white, no guessing what they would interpret my time as.

Based on those charts:
If I was only doing the half I would be in B, C or maybe D
For the full/goofy/dopey I would be in either D or E

FerretAfros

@Ariel484 - Ok so from what I see the charts for the Full/Goofy/Dopey are all the same - the only variation comes in for the half. For example I am using an updated half time of 1:48:50 which I submitted to TrackShack and they said my predicted full time is 3:43. I am glad I was able to update my time to get that info from them in black and white, no guessing what they would interpret my time as.

Based on those charts:
For what it's worth, my proof of time last year was 1:50:12, and I was placed into corral B for Dopey (A for the 5K/10K). I'm not sure what I put for my estimated finish time, but it was something optimistic-yet-plausible given my half time, so I would expect you'll be in a similar position assuming the field is similar

Ariel484

Got OKW booked for Dopey. Just short of points for Beach Club, my first choice. Now more family members are inviting themselves and we don't have room. I might go get myself a value. Maybe I can request a room far from a pool so I can sleep.
Well...yay for getting a room but boo that you may have to switch. :(
@Ariel484 - Ok so from what I see the charts for the Full/Goofy/Dopey are all the same - the only variation comes in for the half.
Right, and I think I heard that this was the problem people had with the corralling last year (that and non-Dopey runners felt like the Dopey runners were mowing them over in the 10K). So I'm not sure if they will switch things up this time.
For example I am using an updated half time of 1:48:50 which I submitted to TrackShack and they said my predicted full time is 3:43. I am glad I was able to update my time to get that info from them in black and white, no guessing what they would interpret my time as.

Based on those charts:
Similarly for me...

For Wine & Dine in 2013 I was in the "< 2:15" corral. I submitted a similar time for Goofy in 2013 and I am pretty sure I remember them saying my estimated finish time was 4:30. So for me that's (I guess) F/G for the half and H/I for the full.

I read somewhere that for the Disneyland Half Marathon this year there is a webpage set up where you can enter your name and it will show you what time you have submitted to them and what your predicted finish time is - that way you can send updates if you want/need to. I wonder if they will do this for the other races going forward?
For what it's worth, my proof of time last year was 1:50:12, and I was placed into corral B for Dopey (A for the 5K/10K). I'm not sure what I put for my estimated finish time, but it was something optimistic-yet-plausible given my half time, so I would expect you'll be in a similar position assuming the field is similar
Did Dopey runners even submit estimated finish times for the 5K/10K? I forget.:confused:

LindsayLoves

@FerretAfros - hmm interesting and very good to know, thanks.

@Ariel484 - oops totally mis-intrepreted your question, it doesn't look like you submit PoT for the 5k or 10k

Also I just remembered, I submitted a 1:45:48 half time as my updated time, not 1:48 and using their pacing chart and I figured I would be close to their predicted 3:30 marathon time but since I was over 1:45:00 (by 48 seconds) they bumped me back to 3:43 marathon group.

1:38:00 -3:17:00
1:45:00 -3:30:00
1:51:00 -3:43:00
1:58:00 - 3:56:00

Last edited:

lukacseven

So...what do they base it on - your proof of time? or you estimated finish time? I sent in a proof of time from a half, but the projected time for Dopey was for a full. My half time would put me in B or C which is usually where I've been for past races (half, full and Goofy). But the chart says for Dopey I'd be in H or I based on a 4:30 projection.

FerretAfros

I read somewhere that for the Disneyland Half Marathon this year there is a webpage set up where you can enter your name and it will show you what time you have submitted to them and what your predicted finish time is - that way you can send updates if you want/need to. I wonder if they will do this for the other races going forward?
Here's the link to the Track Shack site, but it no longer works. The runDisney site still says that you should email them if you have an updated time, like what has been done for years
http://trackshack.com/disneysports/proof/dl/proof.php

I looked at that site before the link died, and it was really nice. It was set up as a form, with boxes for the race name, date, location, distance, finish time, etc. I always feel like I'm missing something when I have to put all that info into one tiny textbox on the Active page, so it was great to have it all clearly laid out like that
Did Dopey runners even submit estimated finish times for the 5K/10K? I forget.:confused:
Nope, Dopey runners just submitted an estimated marathon time, and both the 5K/10K and half/full corral placements were extrapolated from that
So...what do they base it on - your proof of time? or you estimated finish time? I sent in a proof of time from a half, but the projected time for Dopey was for a full. My half time would put me in B or C which is usually where I've been for past races (half, full and Goofy). But the chart says for Dopey I'd be in H or I based on a 4:30 projection.
With the old system, your corral placement was based entirely on your anticipated finish time. You had to have a reasonable proof for the time (aka 3:00 half won't support your 3:30 marathon projection), but they seemed to give you the benefit of the doubt. Now that they've switched to the McMillan calculator, I would assume that the calculated time will be used for your anticipated time

LindsayLoves

They have decided based on my submitted half time (1:45:48) what my anticipated finish time will be, it looks like they do a wide grouping, anyone with 1:45:01 to 1:50:59 all fall into the 3:43 marathon predicted finish group. Hopefully this is the same step they are taking with everyone in terms of fairness. This is the email response I got from trackshack when I sent them my updated time.

Hello Lindsay,

Thank you for the information. Your runDisney race registration has been updated with the provided proof of time. Your corral assignment at the event will reflect this information; your anticipated finish time is 3:43.

Ariel484

Well, I thought for sure Goofy will sell out before the first price increase. Yet here we are with the price set to jump starting Wednesday and and registration is still sitting at 72%! Very surprising.

dreamfinder

Have we seen/heard anything about the numbers for each race type? I'd be interested to see if they got even greedier and added more Goofy/Dopey slots which is why Goofy hasn't sold out yet.

FerretAfros

I agree that it's surprising that there are still so many (any!) Goofy spots left, considering how long ago everything else filled up. And this is Goofy's 10th anniversary, right? That makes it even more surprising that it hasn't filled up!

We haven't been told anything about the number of spaces available in each race, but I would be surprised if they increased the Goofy spaces. The 'bottleneck' is the half marathon registration, since it's the most popular race and also has spots allocated to Goofy and Dopey. I can't imagine they would reduce the half-only capacity any further than they've already done. I guess it's just that lots of people who want to do Goofy upgrade to Dopey since there's not much more training involved

Ariel484

Goofy's sitting at 74%. Crazy!

Anyone made ADRs yet or started training? I think the Galloway programs started recently.

I'm using a Higdon plan so I won't officially start training until mid-September (though I am sort of pre-training now to get in good enough shape to actually start that training plan...). My ADR day is TOMORROW! :) I hope the site cooperates!

LindsayLoves

Goofy's sitting at 74%. Crazy!

Anyone made ADRs yet or started training? I think the Galloway programs started recently.

I'm using a Higdon plan so I won't officially start training until mid-September (though I am sort of pre-training now to get in good enough shape to actually start that training plan...). My ADR day is TOMORROW! :) I hope the site cooperates!

Yes on ADRs, we are checking in late on Monday night so we got to book everything yesterday. We are going down so early because I am 100% paranoid about a storm causing a weather delay which will give us plenty of time to make it down even if there are issues. As for booking ADRs things went ok, I had more problems booking dining than I did registering for Dopey, but we did get everything we wanted so all is well. Good luck with your ADRs Shannon!

Currently training for my fall marathon which has some good Dopey training incorporated into it. Last week I did 5m on Friday at marathon goal pace and then 10 on Saturday at an easy pace, my legs felt great on Sunday. Eventually it will build to 10m at MGP on Friday and 20m on Saturday.

The wildcard that will be impossible to train for will be the time spent between races in the parks on my feet. Even with logging all those miles on training runs I am typically not walking more than 4 miles around the neighborhood afterwards (my favorite local brewery is a 3 mile round trip walk from my house so I will have more excuses to head up there to help simulate walking around the parks between races :happy:). I have already mentally built breaks into the park time for myself but man it is going to be hard to 'take it easy' while down there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom