Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Mad Stitch

I'm guessing under 50%. They typically post how full the race is once it hits 50%. If you're really worried about it you could register now and then e-mail them with your new qualifying time later.

Ariel484

Does anyone know how full the marathon is yet? I have a 10k on the 20th and want to use the results for that to give an estimated time to Disney, but if its filling up quick i might just register now.

I'm guessing under 50%. They typically post how full the race is once it hits 50%. If you're really worried about it you could register now and then e-mail them with your new qualifying time later.

Yeah, they are fine with emailing times later. I am already registered and am planning on sending them an updated time soon. I did the same last year and they responded to let me know they had received it.

Has anyone seen people being swept? I'm terrified of the sweepers and that I won't get my medal.

I saw the sweepers this year...I had finished the race and taken the bus back to the Boardwalk. They were in front of Yacht & Beach behind the last few runners (so they were between miles 24 and 25). I've heard that they'll give you fair warning if you're in danger of being swept and that they don't sweep past a certain point (mile 23 or something?), but I am not sure if that is true. I do know that the sweep clock doesn't start until the very last person crosses the start line, so if you're not in the last corral you will have a bit of a cushion.

Don't let the fear of being swept hang over your head though...I am sure you will be fine! :) if you are already training for a 10K now, that is a great start.

Ariel484

A thought: do we think they are actually changing the marathon course, since the map isn't posted yet? I wonder if they are having the MK portion go through the new Fantasyland expansion area. :shrug: hmm...

Mad Stitch

A thought: do we think they are actually changing the marathon course, since the map isn't posted yet? I wonder if they are having the MK portion go through the new Fantasyland expansion area. :shrug: hmm...

I think the course is changing, otherwise they would have just taken the logo off the previous race map and posted it like they did with the other races. My thought is it has something to do with the mile 20 surprise. Consider this, in the WDW half marathon this past January from Epcot to MK was 6 miles. If they reversed the direction of the race and ran from Epcot, to Studios, to AK, to MK, that could place mile 20 at the castle. Then it's those 6 miles back to Epcot for the finish. Just my two cents.

MKCP 1985

Or using that logic, the mile 20 surprise in the new Fantasyland? (first race to run through that path)

just speculating.

dreamfinder

Has anyone seen people being swept? I'm terrified of the sweepers and that I won't get my medal.

Yes I have. Last January on our way back to AKL, we saw the last few stragglers leaving AK behind the guys on the bikes and knew they were going to be swept soon. Keeping the pace isn't that hard to do if you have been training for it. And the sweepers will often tell you things like "You need to be in front of me prior to that mile marker." Trying to help you to know where you need to be to be safe.

I think the course is changing, otherwise they would have just taken the logo off the previous race map and posted it like they did with the other races. My thought is it has something to do with the mile 20 surprise. Consider this, in the WDW half marathon this past January from Epcot to MK was 6 miles. If they reversed the direction of the race and ran from Epcot, to Studios, to AK, to MK, that could place mile 20 at the castle. Then it's those 6 miles back to Epcot for the finish. Just my two cents.

While that would be interesting to do, I can't see it happening. The way the course is set up now, the runners hit the parks that have wider walkways and are better able to handle crowds with runners. And they get to clear the MK of runners prior to the park actually opening it. Not to mention I can't see the people staying at the Yacht/Beach Club being very happy when thousands of runners go right outside their window at 6 am.

A course change perhaps, but I think the course setup now works to their advantage. I'd love to be called wrong and actually run through the castle during daylight.

Ariel484

Goofy's at 61%.

Really excited at the prospect of the full course possibly being re-routed through the new portion of Fantasyland. But I agree with dreamfinder that I definitely cannot see them changing it in such a way that MK would be later in the race during park hours. :shrug:

Witchy Chick

For anyone who has participated in past Marathon Weekends – how are the crowds (in the parks)? I know most of January (aside from the first week) is typically low crowds, but I was wondering if the influx of Marathon participants (and their families) causes any park crowding? Thanks!!

Witchy

Ariel484

For anyone who has participated in past Marathon Weekends – how are the crowds (in the parks)? I know most of January (aside from the first week) is typically low crowds, but I was wondering if the influx of Marathon participants (and their families) causes any park crowding? Thanks!!

Witchy

Hmm...well, this year, I do remember thinking that there were more people than I expected in the parks, but it wasn't insane. More crowded than Princess Half weekend in 2011 (late February) but less crowded than summer/Thanksgiving crowds we've endured over the past couple of years.

It might be less crowded in 2013 since the Marathon Weekend is sort of mid-month...i.e. further away from Christmas. :shrug:

Witchy Chick

Hmm...well, this year, I do remember thinking that there were more people than I expected in the parks, but it wasn't insane. More crowded than Princess Half weekend in 2011 (late February) but less crowded than summer/Thanksgiving crowds we've endured over the past couple of years.

It might be less crowded in 2013 since the Marathon Weekend is sort of mid-month...i.e. further away from Christmas. :shrug:

Thanks for the info. We'll be visiting Thurs - Tues (checking out/flying home). I'm thinking Fri-Sun might be a little more crowded, but Thurs and Mon should be good times in the park(s). :)

It's our first visit with the kiddos, so I don't want to spend too much time in lines with a 4.5 and almost-3 year old. haha

Witchy

lukacseven

Witchy

Park crowds are considerably less compared to summer. Friday/Saturday/Sunday are generally the most crowded of the days - Sunday not-as-much. Monday and Tuesday - there's a noticable decrease in park crowds. The weather also plays a major factor (locals on the weekend).

Back in 2010, when it was 30 degrees, the parks were empty (we walked striaght on ToT 3 times in a row and did stand-by for Soarin' - about 20 minutes). Last year because of the warm, sunny weather there were a lot more people on the weekend - that was also the earliest the race has been in about 6 years (compare ToT stand-by line at 30-45 minutes, we didn't make it on Soarin' because the wait was 2 hours and FP sowere all gone). The race weekend is much later in 2013, so I'm expecting slightly smaller crowds.

lukacseven

I've seen the sweepers on the half course. Around mile 9-10, people appoaching mile 3 were being trailed by several bikes, vans, and a very impressive clean-up crew caravan. They were loading people into the van at the mile marker by the race track.

lukacseven

If they were to do that, there are 2 issues. The castle is actually at mile 10 1/2 of the full course. They'd have to account for 4+ additional miles somewhere before MK. As someone else pointed out, they would also have to thin the race out before leaving Epcot, because the path is too narrow through the resorts on the way to DHS. Maybe they could use the same start line but have the course turn South on World Drive instead of North and go through DHS early, then on to AK and run the course backwards from there - have you enter Epcot the same point you do for the half, but go around World showcase, as well. Not sure where that puts mile 20. I'm not expecting a course change, but it sure would be fun.

Ariel484

I really think that if they change the course, it'll just be to re-route the MK portion through the new area of Fantasyland. That would be awesome. :D No clue on the Mile 20 surprise...it is definitely fund to speculate. :D

Witchy Chick

Grrrrrrr

So, we are booking our rooms (just rooms for now) for our Marathon Weekend 2013 trip.

There will be a total of 10 of us (me, DH, two small kids (ages 4 and 2 at time of trip); two sets of grandparents; my aunt and uncle). Probably looking at 3 or 4 rooms.

I called the Run Disney number this afternoon about getting quotes and possibly booking our rooms. For our first choice -- Contemporary -- there are no rooms available for our dates (Jan 10-15). Whaaaaat?

Second choice -- I asked about Bay Lake Tower. There are studio rooms available (not ideal, but whatever). I book room #1 for four adults (my parents, my aunt and uncle sharing a room). Book room #2 in my in-laws' names. Unable to book a room for me, DH, and kids -- now there are no more rooms available in BLT. Whaaaaaat?

Sooooo, I book room #3 at Poly for me, DH, and our two kids. I then have the first two BLT rooms changed to Poly. So, at least all of us are booked at the same resort now. (I know I'll have to specially request the same house, and hopefully close/connected rooms at check-in.)

My question (for anyone in the know) -- are the Run Disney discounted rooms allocated a percentage of the total rooms for each resort? i.e -- does Run Disney get 10% of the total rooms of Contemporary? If so, I could possibly still book Contemporary through the regular reservations # (obviously not getting the "marathon discount")? As rooms book via the Run Disney reservations, are they allocated additional rooms?

Does anyone know what the "marathon discount" is? Would it be comparable to booking through the regular number and use AAA discount (if possible)?

As it stands now, we have rooms booked -- but not in our choice resort. :( Oh well. (I want to stay on the MK monorail loop due to the kids, easy access to MK and (back to) resort for afternoon naps, etc. Contemporary is ideal since we can monorail or walk back to resort for naptime.)

This has given me a HUGE headache. I'm sure booking our ADRs will give me a HUGE headache as well. :zipit:

Thanks for any info anyone has!!!

Witchy

lukacseven

So, we are booking our rooms (just rooms for now) for our Marathon Weekend 2013 trip.

There will be a total of 10 of us (me, DH, two small kids (ages 4 and 2 at time of trip); two sets of grandparents; my aunt and uncle). Probably looking at 3 or 4 rooms.

I called the Run Disney number this afternoon about getting quotes and possibly booking our rooms. For our first choice -- Contemporary -- there are no rooms available for our dates (Jan 10-15). Whaaaaat?

Second choice -- I asked about Bay Lake Tower. There are studio rooms available (not ideal, but whatever). I book room #1 for four adults (my parents, my aunt and uncle sharing a room). Book room #2 in my in-laws' names. Unable to book a room for me, DH, and kids -- now there are no more rooms available in BLT. Whaaaaaat?

Sooooo, I book room #3 at Poly for me, DH, and our two kids. I then have the first two BLT rooms changed to Poly. So, at least all of us are booked at the same resort now. (I know I'll have to specially request the same house, and hopefully close/connected rooms at check-in.)

My question (for anyone in the know) -- are the Run Disney discounted rooms allocated a percentage of the total rooms for each resort? i.e -- does Run Disney get 10% of the total rooms of Contemporary? If so, I could possibly still book Contemporary through the regular reservations # (obviously not getting the "marathon discount")? As rooms book via the Run Disney reservations, are they allocated additional rooms?

Does anyone know what the "marathon discount" is? Would it be comparable to booking through the regular number and use AAA discount (if possible)?

As it stands now, we have rooms booked -- but not in our choice resort. :( Oh well. (I want to stay on the MK monorail loop due to the kids, easy access to MK and (back to) resort for afternoon naps, etc. Contemporary is ideal since we can monorail or walk back to resort for naptime.)

This has given me a HUGE headache. I'm sure booking our ADRs will give me a HUGE headache as well. :zipit:

Thanks for any info anyone has!!!

Witchy

I've never really understood the whole lodging situation for any of the races. I see a lot of people posting about official race resorts and discounts. I've never encountered either for the January race weekend.

I believe for DVC properties (BLT included), there are certain rooms that are blocked off and only available to members who were assigned that as their "home resort." I think the home resort can be booked 11 months in advance, but other DVC properties are 6 months. I'm not sure how booking a DVC property for non-members works, but it might be worth checking back in July to see of BLT units have come available.

dreamfinder

RunDisney does their room bookings as a travel agency that has a prenegotiated rate. At least that seems to be the case to me, as some of my past bookings through them came through as from Walt Disney Travel Company, which is more in line with booking a package, and not a room only reservations. But it works just like a normal AP/GP/FL Res discount, in that they only have so many rooms.

The discount they offer? Not such a discount. If I recall from past events where they posted the prices online, the discount ended up being less than 5%. So you can almost definitely do better with AAA, or most other discounts you may be eligible for. I'd call central reservations, and try to book the rooms you want using AAA and see how they compare pricewise. If you can't get them, or don't like the prices, either don't book them or cancel those. If you do like them, then call back RunDisney and cancel.

Ariel484

Excitement!

From the runDisney Facebook page:

Would you jump for joy if we released a video tomorrow showcasing the new Walt Disney World Marathon course?

:sohappy: Let the speculation begin! Er...continue!

lukacseven

Excitement!

From the runDisney Facebook page:

:sohappy: Let the speculation begin! Er...continue!

I saw that, too...

I actually think they can pull it off to have the start be the same (or the same as the half) and then turn left on World Drive and go through DHS (eliminate the loop through Epcot at the start) and the onto AK and run the rest of the course backwards - use the same entrance into Epcot as the half. The milegae looks close and they could use Osceola Pkwy to make up ground. It cuts out the part running through the resorts, but it also looks close to landing you in MK near mile 20.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom