Walt Disney Imagineering move Scott Trowbridge to a new dedicated Star Wars Studio at WDI

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh really? Avatar was announced in 2011 it's 2014 and work has barely just begun for a vague 2017 opening. Cars Land plans were finalized in 2006, announced in 2007 and did not open until Summer 2012.

Even Wizarding World of Harry Potter didn't open until 3-4 years after the announcement was made and Universal is considered the fast one.
I agree it would likely take 5 or more years before opening. In your original post you said 3-5 years for an announcement. That seems a little long.

RSoxNo1

The thing is, DHS likely needs something substantial even before a Star Wars Land, a D ticket at minimum to bridge the gap and save it from dropping below the Universal parks in attendance. Alternatively, a significant refurb to The Great Movie Ride and replacement shows for Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast could help as well.

Captain Neo

I agree it would likely take 5 or more years before opening. In your original post you said 3-5 years for an announcement. That seems a little long.

If they are only recently putting the team together it's going to take them time to blue sky, show projects to the leadership team, get approved, and then go through pre-production. All of that needs to happen before an announcement is given unless they are just going to repeat the Avatar fiasco by making a vague announcement and then going 2 years of no information while all kinds of misinformation about the project being cancelled and internal conflict fills up the internet.

The only way I see the announcement happening in the next two years is if they already have a concrete outline in place but then why put together a Star Wars projects team now if the first massive project is already pretty much designed?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they are only recently putting the team together it's going to take them time to blue sky, show projects to the leadership team, get approved, and then go through pre-production. All of that needs to happen before an announcement is given unless they are just going to repeat the Avatar fiasco by making a vague announcement and then going 2 years of no information while all kinds of misinformation about the project being cancelled and internal conflict fills up the internet.

The only way I see the announcement happening in the next two years is if they already have a concrete outline in place but then why put together a Star Wars projects team now if the first massive project is already pretty much designed?
Disney bought Lucas in 2012. Iger publicly stated several times shortly after that there would be an increased presence of Star Wars in the parks. I'm assuming WDI has been working on plans for the better part of 2 years now. They should have a pretty good idea what they would like to build. Getting the budget approved is another story. It won't take them 3-5 years before an announcement unless the project really is on hold and stays on hold for a long while. Once they break ground they will have to announce something to explain why half of DHS is a construction site.

bubbles1812

no im talking DHS expansion completion
announce 2015
ground break 2016
complete 2019
Definitely 2019 at the earliest... At the speed Disney builds, I wouldn't honestly expect things before 2020 depending on what they decided to do. Guess it would depend on if they decided to open in phases ala NFE (And God, do I think that was a poor strategy... Took all the momentum and excitement out of it IMO.).

Though honestly, still only cautiously optimistic Disney will build anything any time soon with SW. I think about all the other issues still going on with MM+ (not like that isn't still a money pit at the moment), and that they are working on Avatar, albeit at the world's slowest pace...wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed past that tentative 2017 opening date. Guessing a lot of this will be contingent on how the new movie(s) do. I would not be expecting any substantial announcements for the parks before that time.

WDW1974

I see no conceivable way that any Star Wars property opens at WDW (and likely DL at this point) before 2018-19 at the earliest.

Again, they took more time to build a simple kiddie coaster then WDP took to build EPCOT Center with 1980 technology. Why anyone would think they'd suddenly adopt the UNI model of getting things done is a bit over my head.

Captain Neo

Disney bought Lucas in 2012. Iger publicly stated several times shortly after that there would be an increased presence of Star Wars in the parks. I'm assuming WDI has been working on plans for the better part of 2 years now. They should have a pretty good idea what they would like to build. Getting the budget approved is another story. It won't take them 3-5 years before an announcement unless the project really is on hold and stays on hold for a long while. Once they break ground they will have to announce something to explain why half of DHS is a construction site.

Who said anything about DHS? There are absolutely no plans under consideration right now that would make "half of DHS a construction site". The only Star Wars projects under consideration are for the Disneylands in California, Japan, Paris, and Shanghai with a vague plan to import some of the more inexpensive stuff to WDW sometime in the far future (2020 or possibly beyond). New Fantasyland, my magic+, and Avatar Land are the big investments for WDW for this decade.

articos

Who said anything about DHS? There are absolutely no plans under consideration right now that would make "half of DHS a construction site". The only Star Wars projects under consideration are for the Disneylands in California, Japan, Paris, and Shanghai with a vague plan to import some of the more inexpensive stuff to WDW sometime in the far future (2020 or possibly beyond). New Fantasyland, my magic+, and Avatar Land are the big investments for WDW for this decade.
Not the case.

Malin

I honestly wouldn't expect anything Star Wars related for DHS to even begin construction until at least Disney Springs is completed and maybe even sections of Avatar. Can't imagine WDW going ahead with another construction project on the scale of Springs and Avatar during this time. The disruption to Guests would be to much in the eyes of WDW Management. Avatar might be in the old Camp Minnie-Mickey section. But the Tree of Life which is located in the middle of the park is rumoured to be going through a massive refurbishment soon to prepare for the new night-time show. That's what I've heard anyway.

Last edited:

Since1976

This is awesome news!

Perhaps the only thing that bums me out is that it sounds like they're just getting started -- whereas I thought that would have stood up something like this a couple of years ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Most of the insiders here have said it. It's fine if it's your opinion that it's not coming to DHS. We can agree to disagree on that. The fact is neither of us knows anything for sure. We are both speculating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom