News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Mexico becomes Coco themed
Morocco becomes Agrabah
Norway becomes Arendelle or Asgard
Italy becomes Luca or Pinocchio themed
UK already has hosted Pooh, Poppins & Alice - make it Disney UK themed
France themes to Ratatouille and Aristocats
American Pavilion becomes "Walt's America"
Canada themes to Turning Red
China themes to Mulan
Japan to Big Hero 6
Germany to Snow White
This is disturbing.

American Pavilion should be Home on the Range.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
But there is of course a very simple 'fix' to having Wakanda at EPCOT - and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen by EPCOT's 50th - give in to the IP and change World Showcase to "Disney Worlds Showcase". Done.

Morocco becomes Agrabah
China themes to Mulan
Japan to Big Hero 6
Germany to Snow White

And then you add Wakanda Pavilion in the World Showplace or an empty extension pad

Easy. Give up tourism and education for fantasy and it would be more popular than the current version of World Showcase.

*ducks under the torches and pitchforks to escape*
It honestly wouldn't shock me if this idea had been brought up (with at least some level of consideration) internally at Disney...

In addition to Wakanda, you fill the other empty pavilions with places like Zootopia or Atlantis...

Chang it from World Showcase to Disney's World Showcase...

No Name

I think there’s not a chance this would go in World Showcase for multiple reasons, but especially when there’s an unused building right next to Guardians for a conceptually-similar attraction about Vibranium-powered technology.

mickEblu

This isn’t really my wheelhouse and it’s probably already been discussed but can we take the fact that there is no Marvel going into Epic Universe as a sign Disney and Comcast might be working something out?

MagicHappens1971

This isn’t really my wheelhouse and it’s probably already been discussed but can we take the fact that there is no Marvel going into Epic Universe as a sign Disney and Comcast might be working something out?
I don’t think this means anything. Why would Universal further invest in an IP that they have to license? Also I don’t know all the specifics but I think the contract is only good for Islands anyway

Incomudro

To your sensibilities relative to theme park design and, more specifically, what you feel belongs in EPCOT. Surely that’s an order of magnitude lower than being broadly culturally offensive?

To your sensibilities relative to theme park design and, more specifically, what you feel belongs in EPCOT. Surely that’s an order of magnitude lower than being broadly culturally offensive?
I'm talking about Wakanda in World Showcase - fake countries don't belong there.
Wakanda was nothing special in the films anyway - just another high tech futuristic city that we've seen a million times.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The absolute BEST costumed group I saw at Oogie Boogie Bash recently were Queen Ramonda, Shuri, Ironheart, Winter Soldier and Everett Ross. They were so amazing looking, the CM's actually went and brought Black Panther (T'Challa) onstage for a special meet & greet and photo shoot.

Add Okoye and the Dora Milaje, Nakia, M'Baku - even without T'Challa that would be a hugely popular meet and greet (or Wakandan royal dining experience?). 😍

And since Avengers Campus has included multiple characters no longer with us onscreen, I think people would lose their minds for a N'Jadaka visit. :D
I just have one question. Did you have to Google those character names for correct spelling or did you already know them? 😁

James Alucobond

I'm talking about Wakanda in World Showcase - fake countries don't belong there.
Wakanda was nothing special in the films anyway - just another high tech futuristic city that we've seen a million times.
Oh ... I thought the post you replied to was saying the same thing—that Wakanda doesn't belong in the World Showcase but could potentially be worked in elsewhere.

Tha Realest

I actually really like how Wakanda is realized in the films. I think it’s the best world building the MCU did. I just don’t like the idea of a fictional African country plopped in the middle of actual (primarily) European ones because of what it implies relative to the actual cultural contributions and achievements of Africans and the African diaspora.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Star Tours could easily become a Wakanda ride. You walk through the town (inside, outside and even a Savanna-clay based gift shop to hide their technology), then board one of their ships with Iron Heart piloting and Shuri on the screen giving pre-flight advice.

View attachment 744039

From the GPT:

Wakanda: The Journey
Welcome to "Wakanda: The Journey," a thrilling, one-of-a-kind motion simulator ride experience that takes you on a riveting tour of the fictional African nation of Wakanda, as seen in the Marvel Universe. Assisted by S.H.I.E.L.D. government agency, you'll embark on a breathtaking journey that offers an immersive tour of Wakanda’s cityscapes, lush landscapes, and diverse ecosystems.

Ride Synopsis
The ride begins in the queue, where guests are introduced to the story. You've been selected by S.H.I.E.L.D. for a special mission: a diplomatic tour of Wakanda, the technologically advanced nation hidden in the heart of Africa. As you wait, you receive a briefing from S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, who explain the importance of the mission and familiarize you with Wakandan customs and technology. Next, you board the state-of-the-art motion simulator vehicle, a high-tech aircraft developed by S.H.I.E.L.D. in collaboration with Wakanda's top scientists.

The ride experience is divided into five main parts:

1. Take-off: You'll lift off from the Los Angeles-based S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters, soaring high above the bustling streets of Hollywood, before heading towards the African continent.​
2. Journey to Wakanda: As you approach Wakanda, the ride will simulate the exhilarating feeling of diving through the cloaking technology that keeps Wakanda hidden from the world.​
3. Tour: You'll fly over various Wakandan landscapes and lush mountainous regions. You'll also pass over Wakanda's Vibranium mines, and see the country's advanced technology in action.​
4. Detour: Suddenly, an alert from S.H.I.E.L.D. — there's been an unexpected disturbance. Your tour takes a thrilling turn as you're tasked to assist in resolving a developing Wakandan situation. This could range from a threat by H.Y.D.R.A agents, a natural disaster, or an internal conflict.​
5. Resolution and return: After successfully dealing with the crisis, you'll return to the capital for a celebratory fly-through before heading back to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters for debriefing.​

To enhance the ride's repeatability, each of these sections could have multiple variations, determined randomly for each ride. This "storytelling slot machine" approach will make every ride feel unique, offering guests a different experience each time.

Last edited:

flyerjab

Woah…1985 called…
That’s all done

The internet killed that “tourism board” stuff…there’s a 1:1 correlation in many ways. No mystery on the planet now
A little late responding to this but I am of the belief that instant access to everything on your phone, tablet, etc. has made classic Epcot harder to maintain. I am old enough to remember looking through my parent’s Worldbook encyclopedias when working on book reports for school. Having to go to the school library’s card catalogue to find the right books to add to the info I would find from the encyclopedias at home. Learning was more exploratory and time consuming. Going to Epcot in the early 80s was most likely more of an adventurous experience. People didn’t mind sitting through a 45 minute edutainment attraction about Energy. This slower unraveling of story and theme was amenable to that period of time. It was more synergistic to how people went about learning at home.

For me personally, I don’t mind long, slow people mover rides. Then again, I also love Cosmic Rewind - and I truly mean love. And under the sweater’s mandate, IP all day everyday. And I can handle it. I don’t clutch my Epcot pearls with an Avengers ride in World Discovery. If this is the new normal, I can deal: the ‘unreal’ aspects of a superhero world with science fact interspersed throughout the queue. Similar approach with Moana JoW. Facts about the cycle of water mashed up with nods from Moana seems to work fairly well. Too often on the ascent in SSE do I see people’s heads silhouetted against the light of their phone throughout the ride. This is Imagineering’s challenge. Under Bob’s limited vision, IP and popular characters are maybe one way to combat this? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knows. Many in these forums see this as Bob’s intellectual cowardice. He’s afraid to gamble that Imagineers are creative enough to use real world science to make a compelling enough attraction to pull people in. I don’t think that is necessarily true but I do believe it makes things tougher.

DCLcruiser

You’re describing the World Showcase model as it was originally conceived, not as it really operates today. And even if that model still prevailed, there are plenty of African countries that would fit the bill.
All of the country videos are tourism board advertisements.

Go watch the brand new Canada Far and Wide video. It’s literally an advertisement for visiting, with the voices of the Schitt’s Creek parents.

LittleBuford

All of the country videos are tourism board advertisements.

Go watch the brand new Canada Far and Wide video. It’s literally an advertisement for visiting, with the voices of the Schitt’s Creek parents.
Even if that were true, plenty of sub-Saharan African countries are capable of safely welcoming tourists. There is no good reason for World Showcase not to include a pavilion representing one of these countries.

Ghost93

But there is of course a very simple 'fix' to having Wakanda at EPCOT - and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen by EPCOT's 50th - give in to the IP and change World Showcase to "Disney Worlds Showcase". Done.

Morocco becomes Agrabah
China themes to Mulan
Japan to Big Hero 6
Germany to Snow White

And then you add Wakanda Pavilion in the World Showplace or an empty extension pad

Easy. Give up tourism and education for fantasy and it would be more popular than the current version of World Showcase.

*ducks under the torches and pitchforks to escape*
Sounds good. While we are at it, we could easily replace outdated Future World attractions like Soarin and Living with the Land with Strange World and Lightyear rides.

DCLcruiser

Even if that were true, plenty of sub-Saharan African countries are capable of safely welcoming tourists. There is no good reason for World Showcase not to include a pavilion representing one of these countries.
Never meant there weren’t. I just meant the pavilion needs to promote tourism (which is spurred on by showcasing history, culture, food, modern cities, and wild landscapes). Not just The Lion King book report ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom