News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

mattpeto

You mean replacement for RnRC and Launch Bay with a modest expansion inbetween? That’s the next major area of development there. But it’s a ways off and the IP could change 8 times.
Car Yes GIF by Bluey

LittleBuford

Israel was considered for World Showcase, then it wasn’t because of its issues. The same issue could arise for any African country.

The other bit was me saying (or hoping) most people wouldn’t care if Israel was added and it wouldn’t cause a stir.
Thanks for explaining. Israel is a very particular case, and I don’t think there are any African countries that would raise comparable security concerns.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If the demographics of those who built up the US is what you’re going to invoke to justify the current configuration of World Showcase, then you should be all for sub-Saharan African representation.
….I…see…what…you…did…there…

We all love Charlize

The interesting thing about a Wakanda land is that previously all Marvel based theme park additions were self aware of existing within a theme park. Ideally, a Wakanda land built as a themed destination would break that mold.
Dude…it ain’t happening…no need to script a podcast over it 😉

MrPromey

Oh I was just talking about hubbub online not security.
It wouldn't have even been that much of an online concern back in the day when Israel wanted it. I mean, yeah, it would have been all over message groups but most of the world wasn't paying attention to that sort of thing back then yet.

Whole countries would likely have boycotted all of the Disney Co. over such a move, though.

It was a miracle they made it into the Worldshowplace Pavilion for the Millennium Celebration where they clearly outspent every other country represented in that space and even then, their attraction bent over backwards to take the focus off Israel the country and focus entirely on the place and its global significance to multiple cultures, instead... and even with that, I remember they managed to raise a few eyebrows at the time.

ToTBellHop

We're all trying nudge and be like "you get it, right?.. right?".

Meanwhile he comes charging on in going "what china shop?!"

🙃
What do I have to lose by being honest? Some Americans like to look down on the Chads and Haitis of the world as though democracy is a done deal in America. The irony reaches a boiling point when you are talking about the Disney resort in Florida, in particular.
1695351581768.gif

MrPromey

What do I have to lose by being honest? Some Americans like to look down on the Chads and Haitis of the world as though democracy is a done deal in America. The irony reaches a boiling point when you are talking about the Disney resort in Florida, in particular.
View attachment 744258
No argument, here.

As I used to say to my more adventurous friends in highschool, "I stand behind you 100%!.. It may be ten or twelve feet behind you but you can be sure I'm back there!"

;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Make pavilion for real African nation
That's not how EPCOT national pavilions come about. It has to be that nation or a big corporation or NGO from that country that foots the bill for that national pavilion.

If it were up to Disney to pay for a new pavilion, it will sure as heck be sponsored by Disney, as in Disney IP, as like, e.g., Wakanda.

If Disney wanted a Spain or a Korea or a Brazil or a Namibia pavilion, it would have been built already. Disney barely staffs the Moroccan pavilion that was dumped into its lap when it's renters went broke.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yeah and how are they going to staff it? Are they really going to have an explicitly race-segregated theme park land? I can't imagine that. I also can't imagine them staffing a Wakanda with white people. There are landmines all over this idea, operationally.

You can staff it based on the policy that CMs are 'on stage' and, thus, you can typecast for the role (if one chooses to). It's why M&G face characters can be auditioned based on looks, which includes skin color. This would be the case for a Wakanda land in DL.

As a national pavilion in EPCOT, yes, there are no international CMs from Wakanda to staff it, but there are from Africa. Wakanda is an African nation and so people from Africa can staff it. Of course, since in the MCU, Wakanda is supposed to be 'opening up,' they could certainly hire EPCOT locals to also staff their mission/land.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Didn't one of the early renderings that went along with Disneyland Forward seem to suggest the giant carved black panther statue that is at the entrance to Wakanda suggesting a potential Black Panther/Wakanda attraction in Disneyland? I know those initial renderings/images were solely blue-sky, but it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see this as something planned for California (not to say they wouldn't just duplicate things and put something in Orlando as well).

Maybe do a little more to convert "Africa corner" between China and Germany?

Yes. The DL Forward concept art had a Wakanda mini-land.

Which fit into the African outpost rather well (see quoted posts above).

Using Wakanda in Epcot has been on and off the table for a while now...

I can confirm that Wakanda has been thought of for Epcot and is indeed a top runner for the park after Brazil. I’ve not heard ANYTHING at all about the company trading any rights for it, especially anything regarding Alien.

Since some of you were wondering what is on the table and what isn't, here's the latest update from a friend. Take it with a grain of salt, but this particular source has been mostly accurate in the past.

Status of Active Projects

Epcot:

Wakanda - Infinitely Delayed, then talked about again recently. Not sure on status now

@TheVisionarySoul would you happen to know of the proposed location of a wakanda addition to Epcot that you mentioned?

Supposedly next to Germany. Brazil was supposed to go between Germany and Italy.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Remember folks, the Marvel agreement in Orlando has been updated and we don't know the contents of the most recent agreement.

Not to mention the original agreement was super vague. For example what is a 'family'? In the Marvel universe almost every single character of note did a stint with the Avengers, which would mean Universal has a lock on all Marvel characters. But the contract makes clear that that isn't the case.

Vague.

Also, as mentioned above, Shuri has taken the mantle of The Black Panther. But Shuri's Black Panther isn't an Avenger.

And because Black Panther was an Avenger doesn't necessarily mean his 'family' is off the table. It's the Avenger's family that's off the table.

But this rumination is all based on the vagaries original contract which is now superseded by a newer one that we haven't seen.

And it would be odd for Disney to be thinking about Wakanda for Epcot for the past five or so years if they weren't allowed to do it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We have to accept the “IP Flood” at Epcot as somewhat inevitable - especially as long as the has been dictator is in charge…

…but this is beyond stupid. Guardians was dumb…but the ride is good.
This would be beyond comparison of dumbing down/carnivalizing it off theme.

And it’s not happening.

But its good we can dig up all past rumors That we’re “gonna happen” with zero chances of ever happening 👍🏻

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom