Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Tom Morrow

People are always going to enjoy rides that get you wet on hot days. I don't think that will ever go "out of style".

I'm a bit late to this, but a large part for me is really about pacing. Universal's Beijing's JP ride makes it 7 seconds into the opening serenity scene before things turn. Compare and contrast to River Journey.

The inability to ramp up or downward smoothly is often compounded by the 'great job' at the end with people clapping for us trope that lasts another few seconds or just the immediate dump off into unload. It's whiplash.

Actually, just compare to Jurassic Park River Adventure (or is that what you meant?). Attraction pacing is absolutely something Universal has often not gotten right in their more recent efforts, more often opting to hit you with chaos right from the start (though this is obviously fine for roller coasters). Pacing is what separates experiences resonating with you vs. feeling like whiplash. For instance, Spider-Man has pretty solid pacing, whereas Transformers is amped up from the beginning. Spider-Man always scores higher and resonates stronger with first time riders than Transformers. I DO like Transformers a lot, but I had to ride it a few times before I appreciated it.

Kong is a more recent example of them getting pacing right, but only if the ride uses the outside portion, which it has been skipping for quite some time. Without it, you use a lot of narrative setup and buildup and, like many other attractions, go straight into peril.

TalkToEthan

. I don't think that will ever go "out of style".

It’s(the flume with drench drop and “white water” round rafts) most definitely on a downward trend from its high water mark from 2000 to 2010.

Do you really believe if IOA were created today it would have had 3 drenchers(2 drop flumes and 1 rapids)?

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

At center of this aerial photo is the extended queue of the featured attraction in Epic Universe. Pavement seems complete and landscaping continues. The berm at left recently got a lawn.
1712956948053.png

Aerial look at the village in Dark Universe. Classic Universal monsters land in Epic Universe.
1712956983925.png

Aerial photo of workers adding pavement stone lines to concrete in Epic Universe. Note also the scale in this area between the village and the gate to the featured attraction in the land.
1712957007520.png

Aerial look at the portal of Dark Universe and the village. In Epic Universe.
1712957032364.png

A nearly straight-down aerial look at colorful patterned concrete in front of the portal of Dark Universe.CelesTiki bar to be at the circular frame just to the right of the colorful circle.In Epic Universe.
1712957060601.png

Aerial photo of where a W Hotel is planned. 400 rooms, 22 floors. At Universal Blvd and Destination Pwy.At top left is Stella Nova resort.At top center is Helios Grand Hotel and Epic Universe.
1712957103143.png

Aerial look at the trees and landscaping so far near The Burning Blade Tavern in Dark Universe.
1712957149147.png

Aerial look at landscaping of the terraced hillside at The Burning Blade Tavern in Dark Universe.
1712957174998.png

Aerial look at the extended queue of the featured attraction in Dark Universe. Behind the manor.Arrow at a themed crypt in the queue.
1712957199795.png

At center of this aerial photo is the extended queue of the featured attraction in Epic Universe. Pavement seems complete and landscaping continues. The berm at left recently got a lawn.
1712957322438.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial look at the manor in Dark Universe. Scaffolding has returned at left. A crane is also at work at top back of the roof.
1712957366815.png

Aerial photo of theming in progress at base of the manor in Dark Universe. The featured attraction in the land.
1712957396644.png

Aerial look at the manor in Dark Universe. The featured attraction of the land is in the show building at right.
1712957426953.png

Aerial look across the village in Dark Universe. Workers at top center are etching pavement stone lines in concrete.
1712957466484.png

Aerial look at one side of the street in the village at Dark Universe.
1712957508362.png

Aerial look at one side of the street in the village at Dark Universe.
1712957545375.png

Aerial look at the portal of Dark Universe and the village. In Epic Univers
1712957585385.png

Aerial overview of the portal to Dark Universe. Just to the right of the tower is a crypt with an inscription. Gravestones line the path into the village. Many trees were recently placed here.Exit from the land is at left.
1712957614508.png

A nearly straight-down aerial look at colorful patterned concrete in front of the portal of Dark Universe. CelesTiki bar to be at the circular frame just to the right of the colorful circle. In Epic Universe.
1712957655966.png

At Epic Universe, just on opening day there will be:

In Dark Universe:
An e-ticket Monsters dark ride, like Forbidden Journey but all physical sets instead of screens and with the benefit of 14 years of technology improvements.
A spinning family coaster very similar to Cosmic Rewind featuring show scenes and a massive Werewolf animatronic.

In How to Train Your Dragon:
A really fun looking and well themed family coaster with a water section.
A competitive shooter/boat ride hybrid with water cannons.
A high capacity flat ride, not super interesting but will add lots of kinetic energy and take a ton of guests.

In Super Nintendo Land:
Mario Kart: one of a kind, really fun, and extremely re-rideable.
Yoshi, a cute slow moving dark ride.
Donkey Kong, a highly themed coaster with dark ride sections and a completely unique ride system.

In Harry Potter:
An E+ Ticket ride. Details are light right now, but it's being billed as "Universal's answer to ROTR". IMO ROTR is missed potential, and from the way they talk about this ride and the budget it had, I could see this being the literal greatest ride in the world, or at least top 5.

In Celestial Park:
An incredible looking coaster, likely on par with Velocicoaster with completely original elements.
A carousel, just a carousel but definitely a cool looking one.

This isn't mentioning that each land will have walk-around characters and meet and greets running from opening to close, constantly. Also not mentioning playgrounds, all of the stuff there is to do at Nintendo, the world class theming in the lands, and the fact that they all have dedicated full size restaurants.

It really seems like there will be something for everyone at Epic. I also really can't wait for the HP dining hall and Luigi's Mansion additions

celluloid

In Celestial Park:
An incredible looking coaster, likely on par with Velocicoaster with completely original elements.

You did a great job and bring up good points with that list. I just wanted to add.
I don't consider it just a carousel. It is of course definitely a flat ride. But a fairly unique one. Carosuess-el was unique for its time and is still a unique beautiful spin on the tradition.

This is going to have two turntables and I believe the attraction figure 8's them.

The center fountain I think will really be impressive in scale and a Fountain of Nations times 20 and be quite a beautiful venue in itself.

And the park is opening with one large scale show in that How to Train your Dragon venue.

If ready opening day, Potter will have a live show as well.

BrianLo

Actually, just compare to Jurassic Park River Adventure (or is that what you meant?).

Sorry, that’s exactly what I meant, said the wrong attraction name. 😂

It’s not a problem Universal used to have. Really no one understood how to execute attractions well for about ten years there, with a few exceptions. Not a something wrong issue, but actually just a straight issue with pacing.

I’m very, very curious what the ultimate Epic design mentality is springing from. Beijing seemed to be still stuck in the old tropes, though new parks come from a longer developmental cycle. So hopefully we’re seeing the new teams.

strictfoo

A high capacity flat ride, not super interesting but will add lots of kinetic energy and take a ton of guests.
They have one of those at the Mall of America (it's TMNT themed). It's a surprisingly long wait to get on it and definitely isn't a high capacity ride.

It looks great though. Two of them side by side will look even better.

Rich Brownn

At Epic Universe, just on opening day there will be:

In Dark Universe:
An e-ticket Monsters dark ride, like Forbidden Journey but all physical sets instead of screens and with the benefit of 14 years of technology improvements.
A spinning family coaster very similar to Cosmic Rewind featuring show scenes and a massive Werewolf animatronic.

In How to Train Your Dragon:
A really fun looking and well themed family coaster with a water section.
A competitive shooter/boat ride hybrid with water cannons.

In Super Nintendo Land:
Mario Kart: one of a kind, really fun, and extremely re-rideable.
Yoshi, a cute slow moving dark ride.
Donkey Kong, a highly themed coaster with dark ride sections and a completely unique ride system.

In Harry Potter:
An E+ Ticket ride. Details are light right now, but it's being billed as "Universal's answer to ROTR". IMO ROTR is missed potential, and from the way they talk about this ride and the budget it had, I could see this being the literal greatest ride in the world, or at least top 5.

In Celestial Park:

This isn't mentioning that each land will have walk-around characters and meet and greets running from opening to close, constantly. Also not mentioning playgrounds, all of the stuff there is to do at Nintendo, the world class theming in the lands, and the fact that they all have dedicated full size restaurants.

It really seems like there will be something for everyone at Epic. I also really can't wait for the HP dining hall and Luigi's Mansion additions
You forgot the stage show at Dragons... which will blow away nearly every theme park show in Florida.

Rich Brownn

You did a great job and bring up good points with that list. I just wanted to add.
I don't consider it just a carousel. It is of course definitely a flat ride. But a fairly unique one. Carosuess-el was unique for its time and is still a unique beautiful spin on the tradition.

This is going to have two turntables and I believe the attraction figure 8's them.

The center fountain I think will really be impressive in scale and a Fountain of Nations times 20 and be quite a beautiful venue in itself.

And the park is opening with one large scale show in that How to Train your Dragon venue.

If ready opening day, Potter will have a live show as well.
There are 3 turntables within the main turntable The figure 8 was a patent but not used for this ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom