Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

sedati

You're seeing all that complex fountain work, massive scale, two expensive, unique attractions and think it's "cheap"?

Meanwhile, Disney actually went for the cheapest option of copy and pasting a Silicon Valley corporate park into Epcot after spending 5 years and millions to play with dirt.

Celestial Park is certainly not cheap, which is readily, obviously evident through the photos.
Cheaper, not cheap. What's cheaper to execute, Tomorrowland's basic white forms or Pandora?

Jrb1979

What an odd park in how it really doesn't put it's best foot forward. We're greeted with a very "hotel" looking hotel, a nice but fairly Six Flags-looking coaster (though for comparison, check this out: https://www.themeparx.com/six-flags-qiddiya-city-saudi-arabia/ ) and a lovely "Celestial" park that I'm betting was the cheapest to execute of all themes pitched being fairly simple architectural shapes and fountains vs heavily themed buildings like Island of Adventure's entry portal. The core I fear will feel a lot more like a CityWalk with a more unified look than a theme park hub. *This may be by design as the original rumor had this area being public with the portals being the paid entry areas. So think a CityWalk/Hotel district ringed by four micro theme parks*
I for one love Universal does have thrill to their coasters with positive and negative G's. I think Celestial Park looks great.

Poseidon Quest

Cheaper, not cheap. What's cheaper to execute, Tomorrowland's basic white forms or Pandora?

Nothing about this is cheap. It's a World's Fair style complex of gardens with two really expensive attractions. It's going to have Bellagio style fountains and architecturally interesting restaurants and shops. Nothing about it is "cheaper" than an alternative. What could have made it more expensive?

The only point I agree on is that the hotel could look a bit more interesting. Universal's resorts could use more overt theming in their design.

lazyboy97o

I didn't say it looked cluttered and the statues were a pleasant surprise in the reveal a few months back. The fountains are certainly a plus, but they appear simple and modern which while lovely is a cheaper way to go than a similar concept but of a different time, place, or... theme. The carousel building looks great. The rest... I'll have to wait and see.
You compared it to Port of Entry which is very much of the theming through clutter school of design. It is something different.

The aesthetic of Celestial Park is not simple or modern.

It depends. Really good Modernism and minimalism is actually very expensive.

ToTBellHop

The least impressive part of Celestial Park for me is Starfall Racers. But the coasters look like they’ll be a great ride, at least. I think it’ll be a step-down from Velocicoaster, though.

UNCgolf

I really like Celestial Park -- it looks more interesting than HTTYD to me (although neither offer any attractions that look worth waiting for).

DKampy

I really like Celestial Park -- it looks more interesting than HTTYD to me (although neither offer any attractions that look worth waiting for).
I agree… I think Universal will be great theme wise while waking through the park… but the Attractions are not getting me very excited… the only ones that have my Interest is the one main attraction in both Monsters and Harry Potter

Epcot81Fan

I mean, sure it looks OK, but it's not this:

1712256958517.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial photo of a large crane placing the highest frame on top of Celestial Carousel in Epic Universe.Paint has started on the adjacent pond floor. Recently added rock work at the base is ready for paint.
1712349653087.png

In this aerial photo of Dark Universe 1 Paving at the portal 2 Scaffolding down this side of the village 3 Scaffolding mostly down at gated entrance to the featured attraction in the manor 4 A wagon is uncovered at the Curse of the Werewolf queue
1712349741956.png

A straight-down aerial photo of part of the Curse of the Werewolf roller coaster and The Burning Blade Tavern in Dark Universe.
1712349778289.png

Aerial photo of a large crane staged to place the barrel on top the lift hill of the Donkey Kong roller coaster in Super Nintendo World.
1712349827299.png

Aerial photo of the barrel that will be placed over the lift hill of the Donkey Kong roller coaster in Super Nintendo World.
1712349859614.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
Apr 6
Aerial overview of Epic Universe.
1712609022982.png

Aerial overview of Terra Luna construction South of Epic Universe.
1712609064660.png

Aerial look at construction of the raised traffic circle in the Epic Universe area.
1712609088882.png

Aerial photo of Celestial Carousel in Epic Universe.
1712609116050.png

Aerial photo of Starfall Racers and How To Train Your Dragon - Isle of Berk. In Epic Universe.
1712609139760.png

1712609160558.png

Aerial photo of construction of an electric bus depot near Epic Universe. Buses for Universal resort guests travelling to the park.
1712609193960.png

1712609223297.png

SJN1279

I agree… I think Universal will be great theme wise while waking through the park… but the Attractions are not getting me very excited… the only ones that have my Interest is the one main attraction in both Monsters and Harry Potter
I agree the attractions arent drawing me in yet.

When Islands of Adventure opened, I couldn't wait to check out Popeye and Dudley Do-Right. I don't have the same feeling yet for Epic.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I think we've gotten too invested in the idea that every ride needs a story with proper narrative structure, but they don't. Trying to shoehorn one in to every ride has actually been detrimental to some of them.

See: Gringotts: Did not need a conflict. A whimsical wild ride on the bank vault carts like we saw in the movie would have been enough. Instead, we are denied that whimsical ride in order to watch the conflict play out.

See also: Flight of Passage. No conflict, and the ride is tremendously better for it than if they had instead been like "Oh no, your flight has to be cut short because (whatever the bad guys are called) are attacking! We need your support!" (which is likely what Universal would have done).

And: Haunted Mansion. No narrative, but it does use the three act story structure in how it presents things to you.

In other words, rides need pacing but don't necessarily have to have a hard-defined narrative.

I'm a bit late to this, but a large part for me is really about pacing. Universal's Beijing's JP ride makes it 7 seconds into the opening serenity scene before things turn. Compare and contrast to River Journey.

The inability to ramp up or downward smoothly is often compounded by the 'great job' at the end with people clapping for us trope that lasts another few seconds or just the immediate dump off into unload. It's whiplash.

TalkToEthan

When Islands of Adventure opened, I couldn't wait to check out Popeye and Dudley Do-Right. I don't have the same feeling yet for Epic.

Back in turn of the century rides like those reached their zenith and were expected menu items at highly themed out parks……but over the years they have become old hat and out of fashion.

I’m very happy Epic will not recycle the tired and over tried circular “white water” raft down a trough trick nor use the cliche flume through the show scene to end in a splash drop……..those two conveyances should be retired.

WDWFREAK53

Back in turn of the century rides like those reached their zenith and were expected menu items at highly themed out parks……but over the years they have become old hat and out of fashion.

I’m very happy Epic will not recycle the tired and over tried circular “white water” raft down a trough trick nor use the cliche flume through the show scene to end in a splash drop……..those two conveyances should be retired.
you say that but I'd take a Splash Mt quality attraction like that over most of the attractions at Epic

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom