Trip Report Trip Report: Just back from a week at SSR

Great Trip, Kids loved it, however a few observations:
Resort: I am an RCI Member and was treated as such. Since I traded RCI points for DVC points, it seems there is an agreement to lesson the privileges of RCI members. So, I did not get regular made service, it was going to cost me extra for Towels, Linens, etc. I was very annoyed since I am a premium member of RCI.
The resort itself was just OK. The food choices, gift shop were substantially smaller then that of the moderate resorts. That was very disappointing.
Generally speaking, the resort was clean and the staff was nice.

Transportation: The buses were mostly a positive experience save for two trips. One was a before part hours trip to the Poly. The SSR cast members misinformed us on several fronts on what the proper procedure was for getting to the Polynesian Resort. We were told 3 different things. One was there was a bus with a character's name on it that would show up at the bus stations and we could tell them where we wanted to go and he/she would take us there directly. The second was that we could get a regular bus to the Magic Kingdom and then we could take a Monorail to the Poly. The third was that we could get regular bus to the TTC and we could take the Monorail to the Poly. Well we managed to get a bus to the Magic Kingdom and then when we got there the monorail was down for maintenance. A cast member said take a boat, but there weren't any boats at the dock, nor were there any coming. We found a Poly bus dropping off people, so the guy let us jump on board and he took us over there.
The second issue was a Magic Kingdom bus was 40 minutes late picking up at SSR. I was concerned that I was going to miss HDDR, but we actually gave ourselves 2.5 hours because it was a bus and boat ride.

Parks: Mostly a great experience here. The parks are not kept as clean as I remember, Lots of stuff on the ground in the parks, some stuff floating in some waterways etc. Sort of disappointing. There were many rides with broken down parts. For example, IASW seemed like there were several dolls either missing or not working. The sun didn't spin, the doll rolling on the wire wasn't even on the wire. Generally speaking, the parks were great, but not nearly as clean or working as well I expected. That expectation was set in 1981 and 1983.

Magical Express: No complaints, all worked perfectly!

Restaurants: No complaints, food was great everywhere we ate albeit with far fewer selections in some places.

General comments would be that the cost cutting measures of recent years has become very obvious!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Anyone staying on points as DVC members or RCI gets the same mousekeeping schedule of every 4th day only. You only have to pay for towels and such if you need some before the 4th day when they come. Only people who book a DVC room as a regular cash guest (or DVC member who pays cash for a room as we have added days we paid cash and got daily mousekeeping for that portion of our stay) gets daily mousekeeping.
So you did not get less than a DVC member gets when it comes to mousekeeping. :cat:

montyz81

Original Poster
Anyone staying on points as DVC members or RCI gets the same mousekeeping schedule of every 4th day only. You only have to pay for towels and such if you need some before the 4th day when they come. Only people who book a DVC room as a regular cash guest (or DVC member who pays cash for a room as we have added days we paid cash and got daily mousekeeping for that portion of our stay) gets daily mousekeeping.
So you did not get less than a DVC member gets when it comes to mousekeeping. :cat:
That is interesting. I called the front desk and they told me: "Due to the contract with RCI, you have to pay extra for this stuff". Honestly, we thought someone came in and folded the towels onto the racks, but they didn't appear to be new and the condo wasn't cleaned at all. I would think as a DVC member you would get more then a cash paying guest. I'd be ed that I am paying annual dues and don't get housekeeping. I am really trying to see the value of DVC over RCI or the value of timeshares in general.

CaptainAmerica

That is interesting. I called the front desk and they told me: "Due to the contract with RCI, you have to pay extra for this stuff".
RCI traders and DVC members get the same housekeeping schedule. This was clearly explained in the documentation you received from RCI (source: I'm staying at SSR using RCI in a week and I'm looking at the exact same information). A cash-paying guest at SSR would receive daily housekeeping.

Honestly, we thought someone came in and folded the towels onto the racks, but they didn't appear to be new and the condo wasn't cleaned at all. I would think as a DVC member you would get more then a cash paying guest. I'd be ****ed that I am paying annual dues and don't get housekeeping. I am really trying to see the value of DVC over RCI or the value of timeshares in general.
That's what "vacation ownership" means. You're not a guest, you're an owner and treated as such.

sxeensweet

That is interesting. I called the front desk and they told me: "Due to the contract with RCI, you have to pay extra for this stuff". Honestly, we thought someone came in and folded the towels onto the racks, but they didn't appear to be new and the condo wasn't cleaned at all. I would think as a DVC member you would get more then a cash paying guest. I'd be ****ed that I am paying annual dues and don't get housekeeping. I am really trying to see the value of DVC over RCI or the value of timeshares in general.

I'm a DVC member and love DVC! You do get mousekeeping but it's every 4th day as a DVC member. Also you start off with the amount of towels alloted for each room and they replace them on every 4th day and so on. Plus we never found our towels given were "old"! We stayed as regular cash guests at Deluxe and Deluxe DVC properties long before joining and never noticed any difference in towels! Lol.
We personally don't need it everyday because we are not messy etc so it's no big deal to get it every 4th day. Yes it's nice to get it daily but not necessary for us personally. Plus the room would of been clean when you arrived and if not that's not normal. Also you mentioned dues they are not that much and it's to keep up the property and for taxes NOT to get daily mousekeeping. We pay about $1300 a year for 220 points at AKV's and our 2 week stays if we paid cash would be 10 times what our yearly dues are to stay in the rooms we stay In (1or 2 bed villas) for 2 weeks!! We love SSR but our home is Kidani and stay at Kidani, VGF, Boardwalk, and others as well but do enjoy SSR as well. Sorry you did not care for it. :oops:

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Great Trip, Kids loved it, however a few observations:
Resort: I am an RCI Member and was treated as such. Since I traded RCI points for DVC points, it seems there is an agreement to lesson the privileges of RCI members. So, I did not get regular made service, it was going to cost me extra for Towels, Linens, etc. I was very annoyed since I am a premium member of RCI.
When you trade into Disney, you are trading into DVC. You obviously did not understand that you receive the same service that we as DVC members receive. You weren't treated any differently. Disney couldn't care less that you are an RCI premium member. You get Trash & Towel on day 4, and full cleaning on day 8. Just like the rest of us. Sorry that you were confused on what you were getting.

epcotisbest

That is interesting. I called the front desk and they told me: "Due to the contract with RCI, you have to pay extra for this stuff". Honestly, we thought someone came in and folded the towels onto the racks, but they didn't appear to be new and the condo wasn't cleaned at all. I would think as a DVC member you would get more then a cash paying guest. I'd be ****ed that I am paying annual dues and don't get housekeeping. I am really trying to see the value of DVC over RCI or the value of timeshares in general.
Kinda curious how long you have been an RCI member and how many exchanges you have made where maid service was included?

montyz81

Original Poster
I'm a DVC member and love DVC! You do get mousekeeping but it's every 4th day as a DVC member. Also you start off with the amount of towels alloted for each room and they replace them on every 4th day and so on. Plus we never found our towels given were "old"! We stayed as regular cash guests at Deluxe and Deluxe DVC properties long before joining and never noticed any difference in towels! Lol.
We personally don't need it everyday because we are not messy etc so it's no big deal to get it every 4th day. Yes it's nice to get it daily but not necessary for us personally. Plus the room would of been clean when you arrived and if not that's not normal. Also you mentioned dues they are not that much and it's to keep up the property and for taxes NOT to get daily mousekeeping. We pay about $1300 a year for 220 points and our 2 week stays if we paid cash would be 10 times what our yearly dues are to stay in the rooms we stay In (1or 2 bed villas) for 2 weeks if we paid cash!! We love SSR but our home is Kidani and stay at Kidani, VGF, Boardwalk, and others as well but do enjoy SSR as well. Sorry you did not care for it. :oops:
We never reuse towels. That is just disgusting. We use hand cloths to wash our bodies, i could never imagine reusing that towel until cleaned. We made heavy use of the washer/dryer in the room. Also, as an RCI member, staying at Bonnet Creek, our rooms were not cleaned everyday, but we were given new towels. That is a company supporting it's membership since RCI and Bonnet Creek are both owned by Wyndham.

I should qualify that the towel and room thing were disappointing. They did not detract from our experience or ruin our vacation in anyway. The resort was nice, just not as nice as most of the rest of the Disney resorts. I would even venture to say it wasn't as nice as Bonnet Creek. Bonnet Creek doesn't have the themeing, but is certainly on par with or better then the Grand Floridian or BLT from a room perspective. The restaurants at the Grand Floridian are however second to none!

epcotisbest

Yup. We've traveled with my in-laws several times, usually with Hilton Grand Vacations but other times with RCI trades. We've never once had daily housekeeping services.
I have been an RCI member since 1983. We own at two different resorts, one week at each, exchange each one every year, also take advantage of extra vacations and last calls and we too have never received daily maid service. Been to HGVCs, Marriotts, Hyatts and every other level of exchanges at places I could have never afforded to stay at rack rate or even discounted rates. Been very happy. Happy with DVC too.
We are also members with Interval International. Sometimes exchange through them too and often do their Getaway Weeks. Again, no daily maid service.

epcotisbest

We never reuse towels. That is just disgusting. We use hand cloths to wash our bodies, i could never imagine reusing that towel until cleaned. We made heavy use of the washer/dryer in the room. Also, as an RCI member, staying at Bonnet Creek, our rooms were not cleaned everyday, but we were given new towels. That is a company supporting it's membership since RCI and Bonnet Creek are both owned by Wyndham.

I should qualify that the towel and room thing were disappointing. They did not detract from our experience or ruin our vacation in anyway. The resort was nice, just not as nice as most of the rest of the Disney resorts. I would even venture to say it wasn't as nice as Bonnet Creek. Bonnet Creek doesn't have the themeing, but is certainly on par with or better then the Grand Floridian or BLT from a room perspective. The restaurants at the Grand Floridian are however second to none!
Been to SSR multiple times. Always enjoyed it. Enjoyed Wyndham Bonnett Creek as well.

montyz81

Original Poster
Yup. We've traveled with my in-laws several times, usually with Hilton Grand Vacations but other times with RCI trades. We've never once had daily housekeeping services.
I should have stated that we don't usually have housekeeping in our RCI resorts. We did get regular towel service. I guess I was more miffed that they went out of their way to tell me it was part of an RCI and DVC agreement. When I asked, the cast member told me to hold while she looked something up, she then came back and told me that as part of the RCI and DVC contract, I would have to be charged for the extras. That annoyed me I guess, but again, still didn't take away from my vacation at all. It was just an annoyance and disappointment. I really only wanted a few extra towels as there already were not enough in the room for everyone. And really, there were not enough hand towels, we actually had enough full size towels. I suppose I should edit my original post to state that. I did solve the problem by taking a few extra hand towels from the big green carts that they wheel around the resort.

sxeensweet

They give you enough where you don't really have to reuse a towel. And how is it disgusting if you just took a bath or shower and are now clean!!! Lol. Grand Floridian in their DVC rooms and BLT do the same thing as SSR. I have also stayed at GF and it's no different where it comes to mousekeeping. The table service restaurant at SSR The Turf Club is a hidden gem and we enjoy it as much as some of the signatures on property etc. Frankly GF we don't care for the QS restaurant there at all but yes they have more offerings for dining because it's the Flagship resort at WDW.
Sorry you have such a poor view of SSR. But having stayed at VGF (which is a 5 star resort so can't be compared to any other resort on property! Lol), and many others you are not getting sub par just because you stayed at SSR. :rolleyes:

montyz81

Original Poster
You either shower or dry off very differently than I do.

Do you do this at home, too? You must do three loads of laundry a day.
My family does this at home. Sorry, I like to make sure that between my toes are dry and of course other areas closed to air are dry before I get dressed. Yes, we go through a lot of laundry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom