Trip Report Trip Report: Just back from a week at SSR

Great Trip, Kids loved it, however a few observations:
Resort: I am an RCI Member and was treated as such. Since I traded RCI points for DVC points, it seems there is an agreement to lesson the privileges of RCI members. So, I did not get regular made service, it was going to cost me extra for Towels, Linens, etc. I was very annoyed since I am a premium member of RCI.
The resort itself was just OK. The food choices, gift shop were substantially smaller then that of the moderate resorts. That was very disappointing.
Generally speaking, the resort was clean and the staff was nice.

Transportation: The buses were mostly a positive experience save for two trips. One was a before part hours trip to the Poly. The SSR cast members misinformed us on several fronts on what the proper procedure was for getting to the Polynesian Resort. We were told 3 different things. One was there was a bus with a character's name on it that would show up at the bus stations and we could tell them where we wanted to go and he/she would take us there directly. The second was that we could get a regular bus to the Magic Kingdom and then we could take a Monorail to the Poly. The third was that we could get regular bus to the TTC and we could take the Monorail to the Poly. Well we managed to get a bus to the Magic Kingdom and then when we got there the monorail was down for maintenance. A cast member said take a boat, but there weren't any boats at the dock, nor were there any coming. We found a Poly bus dropping off people, so the guy let us jump on board and he took us over there.
The second issue was a Magic Kingdom bus was 40 minutes late picking up at SSR. I was concerned that I was going to miss HDDR, but we actually gave ourselves 2.5 hours because it was a bus and boat ride.

Parks: Mostly a great experience here. The parks are not kept as clean as I remember, Lots of stuff on the ground in the parks, some stuff floating in some waterways etc. Sort of disappointing. There were many rides with broken down parts. For example, IASW seemed like there were several dolls either missing or not working. The sun didn't spin, the doll rolling on the wire wasn't even on the wire. Generally speaking, the parks were great, but not nearly as clean or working as well I expected. That expectation was set in 1981 and 1983.

Magical Express: No complaints, all worked perfectly!

Restaurants: No complaints, food was great everywhere we ate albeit with far fewer selections in some places.

General comments would be that the cost cutting measures of recent years has become very obvious!

montyz81

Original Poster
That is funny. So did you forget to wash those areas before you dry them, or are they just disgusting in general?
I guess I have to explain my cleaning habits to everyone. I use a hand towel to clean said areas and then I used a towel to dry them rendering both sets of towels unavailable for reuse. They go to the laundry and then back to my linen closet. I expect the same at a resort I go to.

CaptainAmerica

I guess I have to explain my cleaning habits to everyone. I use a hand towel to clean said areas and then I used a towel to dry them rendering both sets of towels unavailable for reuse. They go to the laundry and then back to my linen closet. I expect the same at a resort I go to.
I promise I'm not trying to pile on, I'm honestly curious.

Was your assumption before now that this was common practice, or did you know that you were in the minority with this behavior?

epcotisbest

I'm just funning you. Don't get all butt hurt. It is absolutely none of my business how many towels you use or even how you use them.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
And no one is really downing how you clean that's a personal decision, but the fact you think less of a resort that only followed the DVC housekeeping rules as all do including Grand Floridian! Lol No ifs ands or butts it's every 4th day for towels no matter where you stay with DVC. Also like I mentioned we usually have enough to not have to reuse any before they come on the 4th day. :)

epcotisbest

Eh, that's kind of a fraud. The hotels are trying to reduce their laundry bills, not be green.

But no, not disgusting. When I dry my butt, it's a clean, freshly showered butt.
Sure, if they want to claim being green, when they are really just trying to save money that is ok with me. I still know they used a little less water and electricity with each load of laundry they don't have to do.

montyz81

Original Poster
And no one is really downing how you clean that's a personal decision, but the fact you think less of a resort that only followed the DVC housekeeping rules as all do including Grand Floridian! Lol No ifs ands or butts it's every 4th day for towels no matter where you stay with DVC. Also like I mentioned we usually have enough to not have to reuse any before they come on the 4th day. :)
Actually, we didn't have enough for even one day. 4 people in a 1 bedroom condo.
This wasn't the reason I looked down on the resort. The real reason as that I felt like I got more staying at POR then I got here. The restaurant had more choices there, the gift shop had more choices there. Granted they had two feature pools, but all in all, it felt more like another resort hotel then it did a Disney resort hotel. That was really my issue. I would have rather stayed at PVR, or WL, or AKL, but they were not available. With my Disney mindset in place, I would have thought they could have done a better job with the theme. Maybe I am just being too critical.

sxeensweet

I stayed at an RCI resort recently and did not get towel service; must have known I was a Disney Vacation Club Member. Just like Disney the room had a washer and dryer and we washed the towel when needed.

Yep that is always an option to wash them being the rooms have washers and dryers in all the rooms besides studios. :)

CaptainAmerica

Actually, we didn't have enough for even one day. 4 people in a 1 bedroom condo.
This wasn't the reason I looked down on the resort. The real reason as that I felt like I got more staying at POR then I got here. The restaurant had more choices there, the gift shop had more choices there. Granted they had two feature pools, but all in all, it felt more like another resort hotel then it did a Disney resort hotel. That was really my issue. I would have rather stayed at PVR, or WL, or AKL, but they were not available. With my Disney mindset in place, I would have thought they could have done a better job with the theme. Maybe I am just being too critical.
Disney Deluxe resorts and Deluxe Villa resorts always have fewer QS dining options than the Moderate and Value resorts. The reason being, it's assumed that Deluxe resort guests are more likely to eat at sit-down meals. At Saratoga Springs, I think the relative lack of QS dining options is offset by the close proximity to Disney Springs.

I agree that Saratoga probably has the least robust theming of the deluxe resorts, but it's also half the price of what you'd pay for something like the Poly.

epcotisbest

Did you consider the value of an RCI exchange fee for the entire week vs. even one night at any other moderate, deluxe or villa accommodations?
By the way, we have stayed at almost every Disney resort and I guess I am too addicted to the pixie dust as we have thus far liked them all.

montyz81

Original Poster
What is interesting is that Bonnet Creek has 5 feature pools/ lazy rivers all with themes that were on par with Disney. The difference is that the themes do not match the resort where as at the Disney resorts, the themes all tie in with the resort. At SSR, it didn't feel as much so. The theme is a turn of the century resort in upstate New York heavily influenced by horse racing. Neither one of the pools seemed to match that. Look at Corinado's feature pool. Look at Caribbean Beach Resort's pool, etc. They all tie together. It just felt like SSR was a half baked approach to their theme. Please don't get me wrong, it is a nice resort and i would stay there again if given a choice of on property or off property, but just didn't feel as Disneyish as other resorts. Ok, maybe now I am being too critical

sxeensweet

SSR was not meant to be heavily themed like say all the values and most moderates. Yes Kidani (our home) , VGF, Boardwalk (not heavily themed either) etc I rather over SSR but really for no specific reason why. And if you stayed as a cash guest you would get daily mousekeeping and not of had to reuse towels there. We first stayed at SSR before we joined DVC and got the usual daily service. We really enjoyed it there just like all Deluxes over the years. Yes choices at the QS are not as great at SSR compared to POR but POR has one of the best QS locations on property even over a lot of the Deluxes, so I think your just used to that and maybe judged SSR a little to harshly. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom