Trip Report Trip Report: Just back from a week at SSR

Great Trip, Kids loved it, however a few observations:
Resort: I am an RCI Member and was treated as such. Since I traded RCI points for DVC points, it seems there is an agreement to lesson the privileges of RCI members. So, I did not get regular made service, it was going to cost me extra for Towels, Linens, etc. I was very annoyed since I am a premium member of RCI.
The resort itself was just OK. The food choices, gift shop were substantially smaller then that of the moderate resorts. That was very disappointing.
Generally speaking, the resort was clean and the staff was nice.

Transportation: The buses were mostly a positive experience save for two trips. One was a before part hours trip to the Poly. The SSR cast members misinformed us on several fronts on what the proper procedure was for getting to the Polynesian Resort. We were told 3 different things. One was there was a bus with a character's name on it that would show up at the bus stations and we could tell them where we wanted to go and he/she would take us there directly. The second was that we could get a regular bus to the Magic Kingdom and then we could take a Monorail to the Poly. The third was that we could get regular bus to the TTC and we could take the Monorail to the Poly. Well we managed to get a bus to the Magic Kingdom and then when we got there the monorail was down for maintenance. A cast member said take a boat, but there weren't any boats at the dock, nor were there any coming. We found a Poly bus dropping off people, so the guy let us jump on board and he took us over there.
The second issue was a Magic Kingdom bus was 40 minutes late picking up at SSR. I was concerned that I was going to miss HDDR, but we actually gave ourselves 2.5 hours because it was a bus and boat ride.

Parks: Mostly a great experience here. The parks are not kept as clean as I remember, Lots of stuff on the ground in the parks, some stuff floating in some waterways etc. Sort of disappointing. There were many rides with broken down parts. For example, IASW seemed like there were several dolls either missing or not working. The sun didn't spin, the doll rolling on the wire wasn't even on the wire. Generally speaking, the parks were great, but not nearly as clean or working as well I expected. That expectation was set in 1981 and 1983.

Magical Express: No complaints, all worked perfectly!

Restaurants: No complaints, food was great everywhere we ate albeit with far fewer selections in some places.

General comments would be that the cost cutting measures of recent years has become very obvious!

epcotisbest

Disney Deluxe resorts and Deluxe Villa resorts always have fewer QS dining options than the Moderate and Value resorts. The reason being, it's assumed that Deluxe resort guests are more likely to eat at sit-down meals. At Saratoga Springs, I think the relative lack of QS dining options is offset by the close proximity to Disney Springs.

I agree that Saratoga probably has the least robust theming of the deluxe resorts, but it's also half the price of what you'd pay for something like the Poly.
Right...lots of options for dining right there at DS. As for the SSR theme, the grounds and landscaping have what I would describe as an understated elegance. I like that.

montyz81

Original Poster
Did you consider the value of an RCI exchange fee for the entire week vs. even one night at any other moderate, deluxe or villa accommodations?
By the way, we have stayed at almost every Disney resort and I guess I am too addicted to the pixie dust as we have thus far liked them all.
I did. I do not just include my RCI Membership fee, platnum membership fee and exchange fee in that exchange. I also add in my yearly maintenance fee which stands at about $1200. So 1200 + 95 + 275 + 125. For $1695 I know what I could get at other Disney resorts. I am still trying to see the value of Timeshares in general.

CaptainAmerica

I am still trying to see the value of Timeshares in general.
I'm with you on this one. Most of them are overpriced depreciating assets that lock you into maintenance fees out of your control for decades. There are many that you literally can't give away for free if you want to get out of them.

That said, DVC is probably the most financially prudent timeshare product, considering it trades strongly, has reasonable controls over maintenance fees, and you can actually sell it if you need to.

montyz81

Original Poster
I'm with you on this one. Most of them are overpriced depreciating assets that lock you into maintenance fees out of your control for decades. There are many that you literally can't give away for free if you want to get out of them.

That said, DVC is probably the most financially prudent timeshare product, considering it trades strongly, has reasonable controls over maintenance fees, and you can actually sell it if you need to.
I could probably get back what I put into my resort, (On the beach in St. Martin during April school break). I have thought about selling it, but my wife feels differently. She says it forces us to go on vacation. I must say she is right because before we bought it, we did not go on vacation much at all.

epcotisbest

I did. I do not just include my RCI Membership fee, platnum membership fee and exchange fee in that exchange. I also add in my yearly maintenance fee which stands at about $1200. So 1200 + 95 + 275 + 125. For $1695 I know what I could get at other Disney resorts. I am still trying to see the value of Timeshares in general.
Ok, I see that, but here is the thing, your RCI membership fee, Platinum membership, and yearly maintenance fee are due and payable whether you exchange the week to Disney, somewhere else, or go to your home resort instead of exchanging it. Factor those out and you got a week at WDW in a nice resort for the cost of exchange.
Yes, you had to pay all those other fees, but you had to pay them anyway. For us, we enjoy our timeshares and DVC. And while I am happy to trade RCI for any Disney, and have, including Vero Beach and HHI, I would never trade a DVC for RCI.

epcotisbest

We love ours and really enjoy the many very nice places we have traded to through the years. We have reasonable maintenance fees too. I know many people don't like timeshares. We have been, and still are, happy with ours.

epcotisbest

Yes! We love the parking under Kidani but can be a long walk but covered parking anywhere in the south is a plus! Haha! :p
Yeah, but it would be a long walk to the busses too if you were not driving.
Oh wait, this reminds me of a towel discussion I had this one time.

montyz81

Original Poster
Totally agree! Another perk I like about SSR I forgot to mention is being able to park right at your building and having your car right there. :)
We didn't rent a car this time. First ever for my family. Other then the two bad experiences we had with the bus service, overall, I was impressed with the prompt, timely services that was provided. I still would prefer the Monorails though, even if I have to get out and push!

epcotisbest

We didn't rent a car this time. First ever for my family. Other then the two bad experiences we had with the bus service, overall, I was impressed with the prompt, timely services that was provided. I still would prefer the Monorails though, even if I have to get out and push!
Only RCI members have to push. DVC members get to stay on and shout encouragement to the RCI folks.

BigRedDad

We stayed SSR and loved the resort. We rented through an RCI owner. We knew maid service was only on the 4th day. In the closet by the bathroom is a Washer/Dryer combo. Use the towels, toss them in, and they are clean. The shop is very small and I think that is due to DtD a 10 minute walk away. The same goes for restaurant options.

montyz81

Original Poster
Very wasteful! That's something that my children would get into big trouble for. :eek:
Poor kids. It isn't wastefull at all if people in your family have ultra sensitive skin. Please keep your political views to yourself. I bet you are going to vote for Hilary too!

DfromATX

Poor kids. It isn't wastefull at all if people in your family have ultra sensitive skin. Please keep your political views to yourself. I bet you are going to vote for Hilary too!

I know, that's what I was thinking "poor kids" and the lessons they are (not) being taught, but I am not referring to my kids. And no, not voting for Hillary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom