Train refurb in Germany?

MonorailLover

Here's a good look at the shrubs blocking it off and a peek through at the 8:10 mark of the Tim Tracker's video below.

When looking at this video, all I can say to comment is the trench that is easily seen at the bottom of the camera when he peeks the camera in the shrub, is commonly used to hold the ballast for LGB track, at least up north in Canada. Its used to hold a large amount of gravel so is any washes away, there's still inches left under it. I kind of see this as a good sign, since it hasn't been filled in, but at the same time, they could be just not doing any work at the moment. With all this work, I can see if really looking nice if they do relay everything. I' moving to Orlando from January to March, so im excited to see what they do.

Here's a picture of a trench that's commonly dug in the G scale train industry:

track-trench2.jpg

chiefs11

Lets just remind ourselves, that Marklin purchased LGB after their bankruptcy, and is still in business. LGB went bankrupt for a second time after sending their molds to China, but has brought them back to Goppingen. They're still a German brand, and much better than Piko.
I wasn't aware of that, that's good to know. :)

Monorail_Orange

They are still ok quality, but noting compared to from the Chesterfield, Michigan plant. I think @lazyboy97o was trying to get the point around that an American brand would not work with the German pavilion. This is also the point that I was trying to make when someone said Bachmann could work as a sponsor.
Yes, I considered that too, but was wondering exactly how much control Germany would have over that display versus Disney. Because, honestly, if another non-German brand were willing to step in and pay for it, I could totally see TDO saying, now what guest would notice. (Obviously ignoring the significant number of model train enthusiasts on this board) :)

mcjaco

Lets just remind ourselves, that Marklin purchased LGB after their bankruptcy, and is still in business. LGB went bankrupt for a second time after sending their molds to China, but has brought them back to Goppingen. They're still a German brand, and much better than Piko.

I am in daily contact with one of LGB's consumer product's heads, and there is no news from Disney for sponsors OR new products. Since their last run, there's been no contact between each other, probably because of the 2 bankruptcies.

If anyone wants a reference, I buy and sell G scale products, and I know everything about these companies, and do professional installations of DCC decoders in their engines.

@mcjaco , parts are easy to find. Try: http://www.trainli.com/ OR IF DESPERATE: https://www.champex-linden.de/
The gears need to be packed with grease, but LGB engines are hard to strip the gears, at least with my use.

I know my use is different to the botanical gardens, but LGB engines are made for the specific abuse that Disney's layout provides:
-Close water features (oxidation to brass track)
-steep inclines and declines (should only be 2% grade MAX)
-Weather(water proof, easily useable in the winter)

Thanks for the info. I don't follow G scale much, since my days of working in a hobby shop back in college. I'm in N scale now (modutrak.com), but my Dad works many hours at the Chicago Botanical Gardens railway exhibit, and I hear the horror stories of lack of parts for many models. We're talking locomotives that are running 10 hours a day seven days a week. The guys at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, report the same issues with their HO scale locos. I will pass on your links to them!

Personally, I hope they bring back the display as it was a nice exhibit for all ages. My kids love it......and maybe me too. :)

MonorailLover

Yes, I considered that too, but was wondering exactly how much control Germany would have over that display versus Disney. Because, honestly, if another non-German brand were willing to step in and pay for it, I could totally see TDO saying, now what guest would notice. (Obviously ignoring the significant number of model train enthusiasts on this board) :)

I understand that it seems that the TDO would just say who would notice, but I still do not believe that they will get a sponsor. I frankly just consider Germany as the sponsor... Lol. all I see happening is either they rip it out and make it a garden, or make it EXACTLY as it was before, and just refurbed, that's the cheapest option.

Monorail_Orange

I understand that it seems that the TDO would just say who would notice, but I still do not believe that they will get a sponsor. I frankly just consider Germany as the sponsor... Lol. all I see happening is either they rip it out and make it a garden, or make it EXACTLY as it was before, and just refurbed, that's the cheapest option.
Oh I agree a sponsor is highly unlikely, especially with the additional information you shared about the trench foundation appearing to remain intact. Hopefully it's going back in as it was, at a minimum, but restored to full operation. In retrospect, my point was perhaps best described as wishful thinking.

MonorailLover

Good job breaking all of this down. I have collected LGB since before my memory allows me to recollect. Great to see another model enthusiast in here explaining everything. I am learning a thing or two, as well!

Yeah, it's honestly soothing to know that there is a couple more fans out there. Honestly, this is the layout that inspired me to have my own layout in my backyard, so I feel that this is sort of my way to give back to it. People ought to know the truth about what's going on in Germany, the country and the pavilion.

I was surprised to find that people weren't aware hat LGB was purchased by Marklin! It's a good thing though, it allows places like the German pavilion to sell both large and small scale models easily.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Yeah, it's honestly soothing to know that there is a couple more fans out there. Honestly, this is the layout that inspired me to have my own layout in my backyard, so I feel that this is sort of my way to give back to it. People ought to know the truth about what's going on in Germany, the country and the pavilion.

I was surprised to find that people weren't aware hat LGB was purchased by Marklin! It's a good thing though, it allows places like the German pavilion to sell both large and small scale models easily.

I agree completely. I love the train display there and miss the one that used to be around the USA pavilion tree at the holidays. These model trains made in Germany are produced with so much pride it is unreal. I have my first LGB set from '95 that still runs like new. A good friend's grandparents own a model train shop locally. I remember the day I got a call saying that LGB was back in business.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Good job breaking all of this down. I have collected LGB since before my memory allows me to recollect. Great to see another model enthusiast in here explaining everything. I am learning a thing or two, as well!
@ScoutN You collect Trains too? (It's a small world after all).
I agree completely. I love the train display there and miss the one that used to be around the USA pavilion tree at the holidays. These model trains made in Germany are produced with so much pride it is unreal. I have my first LGB set from '95 that still runs like new. A good friend's grandparents own a model train shop locally. I remember the day I got a call saying that LGB was back in business.
All celebrated when LGB was back in business.

MonorailLover

Ok guys, here's my update. I was able to get the best view to the left of the layout. Best access was to the LEFT of the water fountains outside the Germany bathrooms. The bridges are still there, and what looked like trenches is actually poured concrete. I was able to take probably 20 pictures, and will dump them here tomorrow when I get home, but here's a little preview:

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom