Train refurb in Germany?

MonorailLover

I will be there next week. I will try to take pictures. Frankly, it was in dire need of repair. IF it was my layout, it would be ripped apart, similarly to what we hope they're doing now, annually. Now, that would also allow me to have cars behind the engines, but they cant do that anymore... probably because of potential to wreck one loop if the coupler gave way, or it derailed.

If anyone would like to look into the company that's products are used: http://www.lgb.de/de/
Unfortunately, there haven't been any ties with Disney for like 10 years, so no products will be Disney.

roj2323

I will be there next week. I will try to take pictures. Frankly, it was in dire need of repair. IF it was my layout, it would be ripped apart, similarly to what we hope they're doing now, annually. Now, that would also allow me to have cars behind the engines, but they cant do that anymore... probably because of potential to wreck one loop if the coupler gave way, or it derailed.

If anyone would like to look into the company that's products are used: http://www.lgb.de/de/
Unfortunately, there haven't been any ties with Disney for like 10 years, so no products will be Disney.

If I had to take a guess I think the exhibit will return sponsored by Märklin(owns LGB), Atlas or possibly Bachman. I don't think LGB will be back as the sponsor as the brand is simply not large enough anymore to support a sponsorship.

a2grafix

This would make sense. Back in June, the train itself wasn't there, but the tracks were still out. I was wondering what happened...

Back at the end of June and start of July (Fourth of July weekend) me and my family noticed that the trains were operating but I could only see one or two locomotives and one extra piece. They were not whole trains.

MonorailLover

If I had to take a guess I think the exhibit will return sponsored by Märklin(owns LGB), Atlas or possibly Bachman. I don't think LGB will be back as the sponsor as the brand is simply not large enough anymore to support a sponsorship.
Yes, Marklin is the owner, but I do not believe that they will be a sponsor, nor do I think there will be a sponsor. The current issue is that the store at Germany, within the last 5 years, has sold both LGB starter sets and Marklin sets, but at least to me, not many were sold. I think Marklin wouldn't sponsor unless they were to increase the shelf space, and improve the amount of sales.

The Train doesn't need a sponsor either. They already have everything for a nice layout, and do not need to spend anymore money than to refurb it all.

MonorailLover

Back at the end of June and start of July (Fourth of July weekend) me and my family noticed that the trains were operating but I could only see one or two locomotives and one extra piece. They were not whole trains.
Yeah, there haven't actually been cars on the tracks behind the engines for ATLEAST 5 years. Last I remember were the Arosa cars.
maxresdefault.jpg

roj2323

Yes, Marklin is the owner, but I do not believe that they will be a sponsor, nor do I think there will be a sponsor. The current issue is that the store at Germany, within the last 5 years, has sold both LGB starter sets and Marklin sets, but at least to me, not many were sold. I think Marklin wouldn't sponsor unless they were to increase the shelf space, and improve the amount of sales.

The Train doesn't need a sponsor either. They already have everything for a nice layout, and do not need to spend anymore money than to refurb it all.

Sometimes sponsorship is more about the tax write off or word of mouth than actual in-park sales.

MonorailLover

Sometimes sponsorship is more about the tax write off or word of mouth than actual in-park sales.

Yes, I agree, at least on Disneys side. However, I do not believe that any model train company would currently sponsor Disney. Even Marklin, I just don't see it.

Also, to these train companies, in-park or Products related to the sponsor are what they're all about. Many of these companies are already full to the brim with new products that won't come out for 5 years.

Unless these companies were able to make Disney products, and fast, they won't see the appeal.

raymusiccity

Disney and Lionel had a long lasting relationship. It would be great to have some Disney rolling stock made part of this layout. If they are only going to run a single engine, they should send out this work crew in the interim!

image.jpg

mcjaco

LGB went out of business a few years back. Parts are next to impossible to get right now, which is why many of the trains simply disappeared, or were down to one locomotive.

My Father is a "engineer" at the Chicago Botanical Society's G Scale outdoor layout, the amount of abuse these models take on a daily basis just running, is unreal. Gears literally strip the teeth from continuous running. And the maintenance on the layout on a daily basis, and that's with guys that know what they're doing.

My guess is that it's disappearing, as there isn't a German G scale manufacturer. There's Marklin, but they are more HO scale.

chiefs11

My guess is that it's disappearing, as there isn't a German G scale manufacturer. There's Marklin, but they are more HO scale.
Märklin makes their 1 gauge trains, and they use the same track size as G scale. (but the trains are modelled at 1:32 instead of LGB's 1:22.5)

Last edited:

Monorail_Orange

LGB went out of business a few years back. Parts are next to impossible to get right now, which is why many of the trains simply disappeared, or were down to one locomotive.

My Father is a "engineer" at the Chicago Botanical Society's G Scale outdoor layout, the amount of abuse these models take on a daily basis just running, is unreal. Gears literally strip the teeth from continuous running. And the maintenance on the layout on a daily basis, and that's with guys that know what they're doing.

It's also relatively easy to rip up g scale trackage an replace with outdoor-grade o scale 3 rail or ho scale trackage. So I could see Marklin or Lionel stepping in to bankroll a refurb of this display. Model railroad manufacturers are looking to show their product off, this is great exposure for them.

raymusiccity

Not everything needs to be "Disney" and Lionel is an American brand.
Not everything needs to be "Disney" and Lionel is an American brand.

You're sure right about that. It's also a sad reminder that Lionel has joined the ranks of just being another 'brand'. They made their model trains in the USA for 80 years before taking the usual money grab and moved operations to Mexico and China. :-(

MonorailLover

Märklin makes their 1 gauge trains, and they use the same track size as G scale. (but the trains are modelled at 1:32 instead of LGB's 1:22.5)

It's also relatively easy to rip up g scale trackage an replace with outdoor-grade o scale 3 rail or ho scale trackage. So I could see Marklin or Lionel stepping in to bankroll a refurb of this display. Model railroad manufacturers are looking to show their product off, this is great exposure for them.

Lets just remind ourselves, that Marklin purchased LGB after their bankruptcy, and is still in business. LGB went bankrupt for a second time after sending their molds to China, but has brought them back to Goppingen. They're still a German brand, and much better than Piko.

I am in daily contact with one of LGB's consumer product's heads, and there is no news from Disney for sponsors OR new products. Since their last run, there's been no contact between each other, probably because of the 2 bankruptcies.

If anyone wants a reference, I buy and sell G scale products, and I know everything about these companies, and do professional installations of DCC decoders in their engines.

@mcjaco , parts are easy to find. Try: http://www.trainli.com/ OR IF DESPERATE: https://www.champex-linden.de/
The gears need to be packed with grease, but LGB engines are hard to strip the gears, at least with my use.

I know my use is different to the botanical gardens, but LGB engines are made for the specific abuse that Disney's layout provides:
-Close water features (oxidation to brass track)
-steep inclines and declines (should only be 2% grade MAX)
-Weather(water proof, easily useable in the winter)

Last edited:

MonorailLover

You're sure right about that. It's also a sad reminder that Lionel has joined the ranks of just being another 'brand'. They made their model trains in the USA for 80 years before taking the usual money grab and moved operations to Mexico and China. :-(

They are still ok quality, but noting compared to from the Chesterfield, Michigan plant. I think @lazyboy97o was trying to get the point around that an American brand would not work with the German pavilion. This is also the point that I was trying to make when someone said Bachmann could work as a sponsor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom