Train refurb in Germany?

LowesChevy

As someone who builds model railroads for a living and haveing some experience with G scale I have to say that it was about time they do something with this display. In the past two years I've only ever seen one or two trains running reliably and I was typically just an engine no cars. The layout when it was originally built was built very well however over time the rain and sun have a detrimental effect on not only the track but also the sub base the track sits on. It's also important to realize that since this layout was originally installed there have been major advances in how the trains run and operate. Track power is not even required anymore as battery power has overtaken G scale and remote charging of those batteries is now an option as well. Quite frankly some model railroads are smarter than your car or even your cell phone in some cases.

My father always wants to hop over the fence and get more trains on the track! It is a beautiful display that many children and adults enjoy. I wish they would get an expert in there to make a few changes and run some more cars on the track.

raymusiccity

I wish I could take credit for this, but, that would throw this thread off track!

'Some of these puns'll make you smile, but diesel give you a laugh. It signals you have a sense of humour and like to rail against authority. Coupled with that, your ability to keep your train of thought on track is extraordinary. Well, that's my platform for now, I have to leave now for some retraining.'

worldfanatic

There is an exhibit in the main area of the Wilderness Lodge Villas (DVC) that is maintained by the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society about Walt's love for trains. It has many photos and other items including a train (static display) of Walt and his model train the Carolwood Pacific.

Yep, that's my favorite "relaxin'" spot in all of Walt Disney World.

Unplugged

I always wished they would expand the train layout further back. There is an arboretum near me that has a huge G garden railway with a relaxing park & water feature. Having something like that would be perfect for those dreadfully hot days, to be able to grab a beer, find some shade, and watch the trains. This attraction in Germany is small, but popular. In fact, if interest has lessened over the years, it's only because the layout itself had lessened. I think a larger layout with some impressive rock work as it winds around a relaxation park would be a wondrous addition. A simple horse shoe shape with seating in the middle and small fountain fed by a waterway in the layout itself. Not too elaborate, but attractive and relaxing. I'd spend even more money in Germany so I could hang out there longer!

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, July 16. I can't improve on the photo on the first page. I did observe that every building and every track is gone now, but as stated earlier, the bridges are still in place. All that is left are the "trees" and rocks. Here is a photo of the portable "wall of bushes" that obscures the entire train display in Germany. I added my own "over the hedge" photo here.

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG

MonorailLover

Trivia I didn't know until I took the old Epcot Segway tour: The train display represents the 'Romantic Road' in Germany. Never even noticed the signs that tell you that.

Another piece of trivia: it was also a nod to Disney's and LGB's(look them up, used to be hand made in Germany, obviously, beautiful trains) partnership in limited edition trains for that scale (g for garden). I myself have a layout in my backyard.

PhotoDave219

Photo update as of Thursday, July 16. I can't improve on the photo on the first page. I did observe that every building and every track is gone now, but as stated earlier, the bridges are still in place. All that is left are the "trees" and rocks. Here is a photo of the portable "wall of bushes" that obscures the entire train display in Germany. I added my own "over the hedge" photo here.

View attachment 101657

View attachment 101658

That doesnt sound good.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
If this is a true refurb then I'm ecstatic! Over the past couple of years trains have been missing or not working. Glad they are finally fixing this.

BrerJon

That doesnt sound good.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they get rid of the train - it doesn't bring in any income, so there's no point in having it in the park.

Having said that they do always update the town square scene to be the Food & Wine Festival, with little stalls etc., so hopefully they're just giving it a big refurb and overhaul before F&W to get it looking great again.

Mammymouse

This train display has such potential for attracting many viewers as Unplugged mentioned before me. Train collecting is huge, and I've seen better displays than Epcot's in just Malls at Christmastime by train organizations or enthusiasts! Kudoos to Germany/Disney if they are giving it the love it deserves, but a big WHO HOO if they make it better than before! My husband train collector will be thrilled!

roj2323

This train display has such potential for attracting many viewers as Unplugged mentioned before me. Train collecting is huge, and I've seen better displays than Epcot's in just Malls at Christmastime by train organizations or enthusiasts! Kudoos to Germany/Disney if they are giving it the love it deserves, but a big WHO HOO if they make it better than before! My husband train collector will be thrilled!

This seems to be just a referb. The buildings have all been removed which tells be they are getting painted and the track and sub base under it has been removed carefully which tells me it's going right back in in the same place. None of the miniature trees or shrubs have been touched. It's true that they could plus it by adding more buildings but the real plus will be to see trains running instead of just engines.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
It will be back, of course with budget cuts I've heard this will be it's replacement...
il_fullxfull.379983579_5rbs_zpsv7l96io3.jpg

il_fullxfull.379983579_5rbs_zpsv7l96io3.jpg

:cry: more characters being added to poor EPCOT with this and frozen it will never be the same!!!! Lol just kidding glad to see the trains getting some love I'd expect it will be all back n running in time for food and wine!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom