Trader Sam's Closed for Refurbishment - Does That Mean The CM's Too?

Otterhead

Take a step toward what the bartenders can offer or make their own original creations instead of requesting dated Disney property cocktails. I think you'll definitely get a better bang for your buck and will absolutely love the result!
This I will definitely agree with. I enjoyed my Kungaloosh for nostalgia's sake, but you'll get a much better drink by either asking the bartender directly to make one of their personal favorites. Or for a very tasty classic Tiki drink, get either the Krakatoa Punch or the Uh Oa.

Stevek

In that case, get on over and request a Lapu Lapu. Orange + Lemon + Passion Fruit goodness! Often my go-to off menu drink if I want something a little sweeter, but by no means as sweet as most of the menu drinks.
Done deal for this Saturday. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Mouseketeer

Agreed. The current gift shop is the worst offender; like a Disney Store from 1998.

In the 1970's the vibe was this....
4bd7c72ac9c0ac0e4b087e56569b0a9b--disneyland-hotel-vintage-disneyland.jpg

And now it's devolved into this sort of corny corporate nothingness...

disneyland_packages_lobby.jpg

Mind you, it started going downhill in the '80s when it came time to replace the carpet and they built the faux asian red pagoda over the lobby bar.

D

Deleted member 107043

Mind you, it started going downhill in the '80s when it came time to replace the carpet and they built the faux asian red pagoda over the lobby bar.

For sure. By the time Disney bought the place the property was hopelessly dated and tired. I remember wandering into the hotel's western themed bar (I forget the name) and being kind of stunned by how tacky it was.This was during the time when DCA was acres of dirt and there was nothing physically connecting DLH and the PPH to Disneyland and Anaheim besides a tram and West Street. Things sure have changed.

jmuboy

Disney has tried to make the DL Hotel feel more and more as if it were purposely built by Disney with every iteration. Compared to my first DLH trip in the early 90s to now I feel the hotel is better.

Stevek

Agreed. The current gift shop is the worst offender; like a Disney Store from 1998.

In the 1970's the vibe was this....
4bd7c72ac9c0ac0e4b087e56569b0a9b--disneyland-hotel-vintage-disneyland.jpg

And now it's devolved into this sort of corny corporate nothingness...

disneyland_packages_lobby.jpg

The gift shop, totally agree but I do like the teacup chairs. Unique and very appealing for families which of course are their target demo.

TP2000

Original Poster
There is zero expansion going on for this Sam's refurb. It's only 10 days. There's just some behind-the-bar work going on that I'm told is much needed. This isn't the refurb as mentioned above by @SSG either. The "big refurb" still doesn't include expanding the interior of the bar thankfully (remember, Tangaroa Terrace is the only quick service location for the Disneyland Hotel). That particular refurb is intended to better service the outside patio, which from what I've been told is intended to add a service bar/more service wells outside, much like Grog Grotto. Currently the service window inside of Sam's is responsible for the pool drinks, patio drinks, and the drinks inside for patrons at tables. Perhaps this is why the OP believes the staff and service is poor. See below. The "big refurb" involves something to the degree of moving Tangaroa Terrace's freezers to the basement so the interior can be shuffled around, so that the patio's service bar can be built (I'm guessing where the inoperative food order touch screens are). Don't quote me on any of that, but I'm fairly certain that's the gist of what's happening.

As far as the staff, I'd say they're pretty excellent overall. I typically only sit at the bar because you get quicker service and I enjoy the conversation with the best bartenders on property, many whom I consider friends. Anyway, I think service will improve if this giant refurb ever happens. The waitstaff tends to be on rotation, with a handful of them having been there since the 2011 opening and another handful being somewhat newish. The veterans are excellent. I can't speak for the newbies because I'm, again, at the bar. It doesn't seem that the discussion is regarding the bartenders though.

I will have to respectfully disagree that the staff is "pretty excellent overall" at Trader Sam's. In multiple visits I've made over the years, the waitresses and patio staff are generally crummy, boring and slightly disheveled looking. The bartenders may be fabulous, but I've never sat at the bar.

That's said, I've found most of the DLH staff to fall into that category of generally crummy, or mediocre at best. It should be noted, I am not judging them based on Motel 6 or Holiday Inn standards. Rather, I am judging them based on Hotel Montage and Ritz-Carlton standards, since that is the price range the DLH charges. Ever spent a night at the Hotel Montage in Laguna Beach, or just stopped by for a drink in their lobby? The difference in service standards and polished professionalism is startling compared to the Disneyland Hotel, and even shocking compared to the slightly more expensive Grand Californian.

But then, when you can sit in a giant purple teacup in the lobby and the hand soap has Mickey Mouse on it and you have the privilege to go through a five minute TSA pat down line to get over to the raft ride, who cares about courtesy or professionalism? :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Rather, I am judging them bested on Hotel Montage and Rita-Carlton standards, since that is the price range the DLH charges

I agree with everything you said about Trader Sams and the general level of service at the DLH, however I think your overall assessment of the property based on room rates is a bit unfair since there's no meaningful logic to hotel rates across different markets. A room at the Marriott in Oakland that costs $150 a night is likely to be $350 a night in San Francisco. Even though Disney's sky-high room rates are just plain stupid it clearly isn't attempting to compete with luxury brands like Ritz or Montage, at least in terms of service.

A better way to compare might be to look at AAA diamonds or star ratings from Travelocity or Expedia. Currently the Disneyland Hotel has a 4 star rating (out of 5) from Travelocity, which translates to "superior property, variety of amenities". Meanwhile Ritz Carlton has been bestowed with 5 stars meaning "luxury setting, flawless guest services".

TP2000

Original Poster
I agree with everything you said about Trader Sams and the general level of service at the DLH, however I think your overall assessment of the property based on room rates is a bit unfair since there's no meaningful logic to hotel rates across different markets. A room at the Marriott in Oakland that costs $150 a night is likely to be $350 a night in San Francisco. Even though Disney's sky-high room rates are just plain stupid it clearly isn't attempting to compete with luxury brands like Ritz or Montage, at least in terms of service.

A better way to compare might be to look at AAA diamonds or star ratings from Travelocity or Expedia. Currently the Disneyland Hotel has a 4 star rating (out of 5) from Travelocity, which translates to "superior property, variety of amenities". Meanwhile Ritz Carlton has been bestowed with 5 stars meaning "luxury setting, flawless guest services".

Okay, you win. :D

But the service at the Disneyland Hotel still kind of sucks. (And the Grand Californian, too.)

D

Deleted member 107043

Okay, you win. :D

But the service at the Disneyland Hotel still kind of sucks. (And the Grand Californian, too.)

Oh for sure, and as I alluded previously Trader Sam's is nothing more than a cute gimmick Once you get past the novelty of it all the place (and the service) is mediocre, like most drinking establishments in the Anaheim Resort area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevek

Sam's was packed Saturday night but thankfully didn't have to wait too long. They actually ran out of clean glasses so we started getting the signature drinks in plastic cups by 10pm. Hard to believe they couldn't keep up with the demand. Service was fine, have never seen so much wait staff running around. FYI, I have it on good authority they will be getting a lot more HHG mugs this time around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom