Trader Sam's Closed for Refurbishment - Does That Mean The CM's Too?

jmuboy

Another way they could solve for the overcrowding at TS's would be to open another hidden themed bar somewhere either at the DLH, DTD, or the GCH. It's pretty obvious that there's demand for it. Maybe it could be retro-Tomorrowland themed or something like the old WDI designed Encounter bar/restaurant at LAX.

Encounter%20Interior%201.jpg

It's odd that the DLH doesn't have a lobby bar. Might be a good place for an immersively themed watering hole.

Love this idea.

TP2000

Original Poster
Another way they could solve for the overcrowding at TS's would be to open another hidden themed bar somewhere either at the DLH, DTD, or the GCH. It's pretty obvious that there's demand for it. Maybe it could be retro-Tomorrowland themed or something like the old WDI designed Encounter bar/restaurant at LAX.

Encounter%20Interior%201.jpg

It's odd that the DLH doesn't have a lobby bar. Might be a good place for an immersively themed watering hole.

The original Disneyland Hotel lobby when the Marina Tower opened in 1970 was really very mod and quite fabulous. It all got dumbed down and boring and bland over the decades, but this aesthetic could be quite a glitzy place to enjoy a cocktail. Of course, the Airport Sheraton level of service of the Disneyland Hotel CM's would ruin it within months of opening, but it's nice to dream.

13.jpg

4a.JPG

jmuboy

Looking at these lobby bar photos above even mores makes me believe that a fun TL themed bar could really work at the hotel. TL is also unrepresented at the DL hotel currently and this could be the fix. Location seems to be the issue. It seems better service for the pools is NEEDED and maybe a TL themed bar behind the monorail water slides could tie this all together and address pool bar capacity???

Otterhead

What's the difference between the two recipes?
The "old" version is more of a tiki drink, with Malibu rum & pineapple juice, plus some Midori and cranberry.
The "new" version is more of a fruity daiquiri -- strawberry, orange, and blackberry -- and it's a slush.

The other thing they'll make on request is the Konk Kooler, the specialty cocktail sold on Castaway Cay. It's basically a piña colada with passionfruit.

mikenatcity1

The "old" version is more of a tiki drink, with Malibu rum & pineapple juice, plus some Midori and cranberry.
The "new" version is more of a fruity daiquiri -- strawberry, orange, and blackberry -- and it's a slush.

The other thing they'll make on request is the Konk Kooler, the specialty cocktail sold on Castaway Cay. It's basically a piña colada with passionfruit.

I love the Konk Kooler! I may have to ask for that this week :)

And for the Kungaloosh- will anyone make that or will it be only certain people?

Otterhead

And for the Kungaloosh- will anyone make that or will it be only certain people?
Both times I've been there, I ordered it from my table and the waitperson said "old or new?" so I think it's a request they get a lot. I've gotten the Konk Kooler at the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian, as well.

mikenatcity1

Both times I've been there, I ordered it from my table and the waitperson said "old or new?" so I think it's a request they get a lot. I've gotten the Konk Kooler at the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian, as well.

Thank you very much! I will give it a shot...the old sounds delicious!

Stevek

Any other drinks they'll make on request? They have stuff like the Bahama Mama, Pina Colava, Raspberry Ginger Vojito at Hearthstone or Steakhouse 55 lounges.

Otterhead

Any other drinks they'll make on request? They have stuff like the Bahama Mama, Pina Colava, Raspberry Ginger Vojito at Hearthstone or Steakhouse 55 lounges.
I'm sure they'd make any of those that the bartenders know about; I've had a Pina Colava there as well, aka a Lava Flow, but that's an extremely popular drink all over Hawaii, so it's not something only 'insiders' would know about.

Stevek

I'm sure they'd make any of those that the bartenders know about; I've had a Pina Colava there as well, aka a Lava Flow, but that's an extremely popular drink all over Hawaii, so it's not something only 'insiders' would know about.
Doesn't Disney make their "Lava Flow" with raspberry puree? I make mine with Strawberry.

kkocka

If only they did the Lapu Lapu here.

They do, though it's the legit and original recipe. Far superior than what Tambu Lounge offers, which is namesake only. The Lapu Lapu is one of the standard off menu drinks at Sam's along with Navy Grog and a slew of other solid cocktails. Take a step toward what the bartenders can offer or make their own original creations instead of requesting dated Disney property cocktails. I think you'll definitely get a better bang for your buck and will absolutely love the result!

EDIT: I misread, you said "here" as in FL, not "there" as in CA.

Stevek

They do, though it's the legit and original recipe. Far superior than what Tambu Lounge offers, which is namesake only. The Lapu Lapu is one of the standard off menu drinks at Sam's along with Navy Grog and a slew of other solid cocktails. Take a step toward what the bartenders can offer or make their own original creations instead of requesting dated Disney property cocktails. I think you'll definitely get a better bang for your buck and will absolutely love the result!

EDIT: I misread, you said "here" as in FL, not "there" as in CA.
Yes...I'm in California. Definitely wondered if they could make some of the FL drinks here at CA Sam's

Old Mouseketeer

The original Disneyland Hotel lobby when the Marina Tower opened in 1970 was really very mod and quite fabulous. It all got dumbed down and boring and bland over the decades, but this aesthetic could be quite a glitzy place to enjoy a cocktail. Of course, the Airport Sheraton level of service of the Disneyland Hotel CM's would ruin it within months of opening, but it's nice to dream.

13.jpg

4a.JPG

I LOVED that lobby as a kid. The floor carpeting was magical and I wanted to have artwork like the giant stylized textile pieces influenced by vistas of California. I'm also a nut for Travertine marble. This was gorgeous for its time. < sigh >

Old Mouseketeer

I spend a lot of time at Trader Sams when I'm at Disneyland and 5 of the bar tenders there are truly excellent. They have their own signature cocktails and feature seasonal drinks that they promote on twitter. There are some bar tenders who I avoid and the cocktails on the menu aren't anything special. But if you know where to sit, what to order, who to talk to, Trader Sams can live up to its potential.

Interestingly, the bartenders are classified as "entertainment" and their costumes are issued from the DCA entertainment costume locations (which also service character dining at the hotels) and not from DL Hotel costume issue.

D

Deleted member 107043

I LOVED that lobby as a kid. The floor carpeting was magical and I wanted to have artwork like the giant stylized textile pieces influenced by vistas of California. I'm also a nut for Travertine marble. This was gorgeous for its time. < sigh >

I remember the first time I visited at the DLH in 1977. The lobby decor felt very swanky. Quite different from the more whimsical, but bland, "Disney" vibe it has now.

kkocka

Yes...I'm in California. Definitely wondered if they could make some of the FL drinks here at CA Sam's

In that case, get on over and request a Lapu Lapu. Orange + Lemon + Passion Fruit goodness! Often my go-to off menu drink if I want something a little sweeter, but by no means as sweet as most of the menu drinks.

TP2000

Original Poster
I remember the first time I visited at the DLH in 1977. The lobby decor felt very swanky. Quite different from the more whimsical, but bland, "Disney" vibe it has now.

Agreed. The current gift shop is the worst offender; like a Disney Store from 1998.

In the 1970's the vibe was this....
4bd7c72ac9c0ac0e4b087e56569b0a9b--disneyland-hotel-vintage-disneyland.jpg

And now it's devolved into this sort of corny corporate nothingness...

disneyland_packages_lobby.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom