Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rider

I understand. But looking at the actual track length (not footprint) appears to be about 1200 feet. Which is a little larger than The Barnstormer, and well shy of 2500+ feet of Thunder Mountain. I also understand I am making an educated guess with the track length, and length of the attraction, and I can be wrong - I have been in the past, but looking at the attractions that will be delivered, seems underwhelming for the Disney brand.

Additionally, I further understand this is a family coaster, but that is not an excuse to build it cheap, or to make it so short. Everybody complained that the original Journey into your Imagination was much longer, but accepts shortened versions everywhere else.
I think you have made quite an under-estimate on the length. Back when it was first announced I made a version of the first concept in No Limits (). The the lift hill version but overall the track is the same length even with the hill replaced by a launch. NoLimits says the length is 3600 feet.

Pedro Soto

Targeting guest 2 is shortsighted after they visit and then compare this park to other parks (Legoland and Universal for example), and realize they have been fooled. Disney needs to target guest 1, and failing to do so hurts them in the long term. This land will most likely be a one-and-done for me and my girls.
What will they be fooled by????

NelsonRD

I think you have made quite an under-estimate on the length. Back when it was first announced I made a version of the first concept in No Limits (). The the lift hill version but overall the track is the same length even with the hill replaced by a launch. NoLimits says the length is 3600 feet.

Back when it was first announced, but before they announced its reduction in scope?
Overlay the construction photo with the google maps, and measure it. I did and came up with about 1200 feet.

Marlins1

The coaster looks fun and I hear the whip ride is good too. This is an area to help fill out the park with fun rides for the family. I think it will serve that function well. Star Wars Land and the Mickey ride are the E tickets on the way. I am the first to criticize 2006 to 2015 at WDW but they are really doing a great job right now.

NelsonRD

The coaster looks fun and I hear the whip ride is good too. This is an area to help fill out the park with fun rides for the family. I think it will serve that function well. Star Wars Land and the Mickey ride are the E tickets on the way. I am the first to criticize 2006 to 2015 at WDW but they are really doing a great job right now.

Because they added 'something'? Sorry, spinners don't do it for me. Put a cotton candy machine and a spinner in a corn field, and you have a county fair.

Rider

Back when it was first announced, but before they announced its reduction in scope?
Overlay the construction photo with the google maps, and measure it. I did and came up with about 1200 feet.
You say "reduciton in scope" like they shrank it instead of what actually happened which was replacing the lift with a launch and keeping the rest almost the same.

Another quick estimate (that doesn't include any vertical changes so is also an underestimate).

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Marlins1

Fooled into thinking what Disney offered for this land is unique. Thinking that Disney is the pinnacle of theme parks, to only find out others have caught up, and this is a weak attempt at competing.
So parks should only add E tickets - just have a few rides with massive lines? They are adding a wide range of attractions right now along with infrastructure improvements, restaurants, hotels - at some point I have to give them some credit.

NelsonRD

So parks should only add E tickets - just have a few rides with massive lines? They are adding a wide range of attractions right now along with infrastructure improvements, restaurants, hotels - at some point I have to give them some credit.

I agree, and applaud the efforts to increase the offerings. However, with that said, many of the new additions have been a disappointment at some level, with the exception of Flight of Passage.

Pedro Soto

Fooled into thinking what Disney offered for this land is unique. Thinking that Disney is the pinnacle of theme parks, to only find out others have caught up, and this is a weak attempt at competing.
Totally disagree, this is unique to the Disney parks (where else would you find the slinky coaster & alien spinner not maters ;)) I know a LOT of people don't like the land addition but all in all I think this land will be great for the family and will go good with Galaxy's Edge

NelsonRD

You say "reduciton in scope" like they shrank it instead of what actually happened which was replacing the lift with a launch and keeping the rest almost the same.

Another quick estimate (that doesn't include any vertical changes so is also an underestimate).

View attachment 218032

I stand corrected. My measurements ended at the old sound stage, about 160 feet short off from your measurements. This now invalidates my whole argument, so i'll close the door behind me as I leave.

No Name

It's crazy... the track looked awfully short when I first saw the concept art. But apparently it's longer than both Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Tron Lightcycle Power Run. Granted, those could both be considerably longer, but this is not short in comparison. And the ride time will be longer for sure.

I think the misjudgement is because those two are more compact. This is spread out over a large area, and I guess I didn't realize just how large an area that is. You could say it's a waste of space, but it's not Disneyland. They have plenty left.

Finally, I must say, this is closest I've watched a fully exposed coaster be built. Thanks to all those who gave us photos, especially bioreconstruct. I think we'll get to see the Tron coaster and maybe some of the GotG coaster be put together before they're enclosed, so there's more to come! Till next time...

Last edited:

BlindChow

Targeting guest 2 [the first time guest] is shortsighted after they visit and then compare this park to other parks (Legoland and Universal for example), and realize they have been fooled. Disney needs to target guest 1 [the repeat guest], and failing to do so hurts them in the long term. This land will most likely be a one-and-done for me and my girls.
From everything I've heard, WDW has more first-time guests than repeat guests. That's the reason they don't do the "Holiday" overlays on Haunted Mansion or Small World. This isn't Disneyland (where the repeats actually outnumber the first-timers by a huge margin)...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
After viewing the pics from a day ago I'll say the coaster looks fun and more thrilling than I thought it would be. Not saying that I'm satisfied with the second version of this ride over the original but at the very least it looks like it could be a good c-d ticket addition especially if SW and the Mickey ride turn out to be good.
How many launches will this coaster have?
Also, does anyone know the max high of the coaster?

Two launches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom