Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

NelsonRD

Ok, i'll say it. This looks underwhelming. I understand that I am being negative, and its not done yet, and how can I say this without experiencing it yet...... But, Disney's track record of new attractions confirm they are just too short (Mine Train, Na'vi River Journey, and more). What are we looking at here, a 60 second coaster?

Its like buying a V6 Mustang. They look good, and I will enjoy them, but lacking where it matters. They have the opportunity to do something great here, and to come this far, and hype this as a new land, does not look like it is going to meet the expectations for a Disney Park. Looks like Disney is "Minus it", or "Divide by 2 it" now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok, i'll say it. This looks underwhelming.

Disney should have marketed this as a mini-land. Calling it a 'land' nowadays evokes Cars Land, Potter Lands, Pandor, and SWLs. And this isn't on that level. It's like a D-Ticket Land compared to the other E-Ticket Lands.

It fails by comparison.

For children, they'll eat it up and think it's as good as any 'land' from the MK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Good question. Besides the picket fence on the one end I am still curious how they are going to mask the all the other edges of the land.

At some point, one would think you'd see Andy's house. And if the entrance to TSMM is heading to Andy's bedroom, then the backside of that building should be a giant facade of the house.

Rider

Ok, i'll say it. This looks underwhelming. I understand that I am being negative, and its not done yet, and how can I say this without experiencing it yet...... But, Disney's track record of new attractions confirm they are just too short (Mine Train, Na'vi River Journey, and more). What are we looking at here, a 60 second coaster?

Its like buying a V6 Mustang. They look good, and I will enjoy them, but lacking where it matters. They have the opportunity to do something great here, and to come this far, and hype this as a new land, does not look like it is going to meet the expectations for a Disney Park. Looks like Disney is "Minus it", or "Divide by 2 it" now.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but when I was flying over it this weekend you really get the feeling of how huge it is. This coaster takes up a LOT of space in the park (about as much as all of Star Wars). But it is a family coaster so it's not going to be as long time wise as a coaster that fits in the same space but is taller. It's also a launch ride which makes it shorter than a coaster with a lift. If you remove the lifts I bet we are looking at a similar ride time to Big Thunder or Everest.

Fox&Hound

Good question. Besides the picket fence on the one end I am still curious how they are going to mask the all the other edges of the land.
Yes absolutey! Especially from the height of the roller coaster- there are buildings, backstage, and a service road all to hide. If they can hide these views it will go a long way to help with theming.

Overall, I cannot wait to see this land. I am way too excited for it!

NelsonRD

It's hard to tell from the pictures but when I was flying over it this weekend you really get the feeling of how huge it is. This coaster takes up a LOT of space in the park (about as much as all of Star Wars). But it is a family coaster so it's not going to be as long time wise as a coaster that fits in the same space but is taller. It's also a launch ride which makes it shorter than a coaster with a lift. If you remove the lifts I bet we are looking at a similar ride time to Big Thunder or Everest.

I understand. But looking at the actual track length (not footprint) appears to be about 1200 feet. Which is a little larger than The Barnstormer, and well shy of 2500+ feet of Thunder Mountain. I also understand I am making an educated guess with the track length, and length of the attraction, and I can be wrong - I have been in the past, but looking at the attractions that will be delivered, seems underwhelming for the Disney brand.

Additionally, I further understand this is a family coaster, but that is not an excuse to build it cheap, or to make it so short. Everybody complained that the original Journey into your Imagination was much longer, but accepts shortened versions everywhere else.

Fox&Hound

Another thought is this: I think this land needs to be viewed from two very different perspectives. Perspective one is the guest who has gone to Disney countless times and already ridden and enjoyed (or not) Toy Story Midway Mania. To them, this new land consists of two new attractions (Buzz and Slinky) and minimal theming. They might like what they see but may feel like the land is lacking, especially in a lengthy, true e-ticket ride. And I can understand this perspective. But, what about another persepective, guest number two, either a guest who has never been to WDW before or has little experience with TSMM. To them, this new land has TSMM, the fun off the shelf Buzz ride, and the Slinky coaster. Theming aside, that is a pretty complete land.
Most of us on this board are guest one. If we can try to borrow the perspective of guest two, and I am hoping some new additions to TSMM may help is do this (new mini-games with different characters), it may help us appreciate this land a little more. Just my persepctive :)

Fantasmicguy

I understand. But looking at the actual track length (not footprint) appears to be about 1200 feet. Which is a little larger than The Barnstormer, and well shy of 2500+ feet of Thunder Mountain. I also understand I am making an educated guess with the track length, and length of the attraction, and I can be wrong - I have been in the past, but looking at the attractions that will be delivered, seems underwhelming for the Disney brand.

Additionally, I further understand this is a family coaster, but that is not an excuse to build it cheap, or to make it so short. Everybody complained that the original Journey into your Imagination was much longer, but accepts shortened versions everywhere else.
There are a lot more problems than the length of the current version also people on this forum constantly complain about ride length (in many cases rightfully so) on rides like the 7DMT or the short length of the upcoming Tron and MMRR attractions.

Kman101

Disney should have marketed this as a mini-land. Calling it a 'land' nowadays evokes Cars Land, Potter Lands, Pandor, and SWLs. And this isn't on that level. It's like a D-Ticket Land compared to the other E-Ticket Lands.

It fails by comparison.

For children, they'll eat it up and think it's as good as any 'land' from the MK.

Most adults and Disney fans will eat it up too. While people keep saying it's a "kid land" it's really anything but when you look at the rides we're getting.

NelsonRD

Another thought is this: I think this land needs to be viewed from two very different perspectives. Perspective one is the guest who has gone to Disney countless times and already ridden and enjoyed (or not) Toy Story Midway Mania. To them, this new land consists of two new attractions (Buzz and Slinky) and minimal theming. They might like what they see but may feel like the land is lacking, especially in a lengthy, true e-ticket ride. And I can understand this perspective. But, what about another persepective, guest number two, either a guest who has never been to WDW before or has little experience with TSMM. To them, this new land has TSMM, the fun off the shelf Buzz ride, and the Slinky coaster. Theming aside, that is a pretty complete land.
Most of us on this board are guest one. If we can try to borrow the perspective of guest two, and I am hoping some new additions to TSMM may help is do this (new mini-games with different characters), it may help us appreciate this land a little more. Just my persepctive :)

Targeting guest 2 is shortsighted after they visit and then compare this park to other parks (Legoland and Universal for example), and realize they have been fooled. Disney needs to target guest 1, and failing to do so hurts them in the long term. This land will most likely be a one-and-done for me and my girls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom