Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

boufa

- Silence does not equal inactivity.
This happens a lot on the forums (these and others). Just because we don't know a detail doesn't mean it is still fluid. Sure, there may be some things that change, but we may never know about it. I have serious doubts that they are still working and reworking the plans, at least not any more than any other project. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they know where every electrical feed, pipe, and water fountain are going to go... remember there is a 1000x more to designing then just concept art and faux rock work. Most of it isn't sexy, but it very necessary.

- Work is a inexact term.
I would imagine that there are a lot of people "working" on this project right now. You can't see it, but materials have to be purchased, and equipment has to be determined by need and they acquired. How many people are needed on the site for each stage, who are they, what has to be sub contracted out, who are those contractors, demolition plans, moving people out of the way (which has already happened!). Contracts signed, lawyers get their cut, etc, etc, etc. Actual vertical construction is a small part of the process.

The last thing we want is Disney mis-managing this thing, Skipping steps, not planning correctly, and then having cost over runs... that is how you get DinoRama, and Camp Mickey-Minney.... or the current DHS!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This happens a lot on the forums (these and others). Just because we don't know a detail doesn't mean it is still fluid. Sure, there may be some things that change, but we may never know about it. I have serious doubts that they are still working and reworking the plans, at least not any more than any other project. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they know where every electrical feed, pipe, and water fountain are going to go... remember there is a 1000x more to designing then just concept art and faux rock work. Most of it isn't sexy, but it very necessary.

I would imagine that there are a lot of people "working" on this project right now. You can't see it, but materials have to be purchased, and equipment has to be determined by need and they acquired. How many people are needed on the site for each stage, who are they, what has to be sub contracted out, who are those contractors, demolition plans, moving people out of the way (which has already happened!). Contracts signed, lawyers get their cut, etc, etc, etc. Actual vertical construction is a small part of the process.

The last thing we want is Disney mis-managing this thing, Skipping steps, not planning correctly, and then having cost over runs... that is how you get DinoRama, and Camp Mickey-Minney.... or the current DHS!

Wait, you're telling me that executives don't just wake up one morning with an idea and then they start building it that evening!?

Surely they can just run out to Home Depot and pick up what they need. I am pretty sure last time I was in Home Depot that I saw a roller coaster section.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Wait, you're telling me that executives don't just wake up one morning with an idea and then they start building it that evening!?

Surely they can just run out to Home Depot and pick up what they need. I am pretty sure last time I was in Home Depot that I saw a roller coaster section.
It over by the Lawn & Garden section. And Flat Rides are between Lighting and Plumbing.

msteel

They are waiting for Black Friday deals (value engineering). You can't trust the leaked ads so you have to wait for the final printed versions. Those come out today so shovels should be in the ground tomorrow.

Timothy_Q

You get Dinorama, Camp Minnie Mickey and DHS by giving imagineers tiny budgets, not by building fast or "skipping steps".

FigmentForver96

You get Dinorama, Camp Minnie Mickey and DHS by giving imagineers tiny budgets, not by building fast or "skipping steps".
When the park opened, there wasn't a lot, but the park was cool. I mean the idea was totally new for a theme park in Florida (aside Universal). To see inside Disney animation and the effects behind certain movies was pretty neat. Even the earliest expansions stayed true to the studio roots (Sunset, Star Tours, Muppets). It was the late 90's that the park went downhill.

Tom

Beta Return

Many people not in the construction or development industry simply don't think of these excellent points you've made. I'm guilty, and it's what I do for a living! I'll drive by a project (like the new WalMart in town) for months and think, "What are they DOING all this time?" And that's after the months of watching the ground sit there while they went through zoning hearing after hearing.

But on my projects, I try to take a step back, just for fun, and picture what it must seem like to a passerby. The American Legion Post I just finished (Certificate of Occupancy issued Friday) looked done for 2 months. Bricked, roofed, paved and landscaped. All the while, frantically hanging, finishing and painting drywall, installing HVAC, electrical, and so on.

But those front-end steps are killer. Going through drainage board, clean water, DNR, EPA, zoning, planning and permitting.....that's months (or years) of idle time before a shovel hits the ground.

dgp602

I was at HS last Saturday. I was trying to picture how this park will look during construction. The Backlot tour area still appears to have some props just sitting in place and rusting. Will we start to see construction walls go up blocking off the Streets of American area? And has an announcement been made as to when LMS will close?

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

My guess, as well as the rumblings I have heard, is that they are waiting out the holiday season and things will start shifting and moving much more dramatically around January 4th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom