IMG_0675.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 73

truecoat

The figure mentioned was just for TSL.

And it's a little low.

Is this one of those Sopranos things? There's a dozen guys or so sitting around in chairs all day collecting a paycheck.

"Sure, I can build it but you're gonna have to rent a couple tower cranes from my cousin to do it."

"There's nothing that big that needs a tower crane, smaller mobile ones will do."

"I said, you need TWO tower cranes."

Figment2005

The tower cranes do allow for faster transition between areas. Where a mobile crane would need to be lowered/disassembled, the tower crane can just rotate.

Goofyernmost

The tower cranes do allow for faster transition between areas. Where a mobile crane would need to be lowered/disassembled, the tower crane can just rotate.
They wouldn't really have to disassemble it. All they have to do is move it, carefully unless there is something up high that is in the way. But, with the two and from the appearance they will be able to reach the full extension of TSL, I can see why they are doing it. Cost aside, something that we have no real knowledge about. They will need to move them or add to them if they are going to use them in SWL. They simply cannot reach that far.

Marc Davis Fan

Seeing the construction progress on the structure that will block the parking garage from view is giving me somewhat greater hope in the aesthetic/thematic quality of the Toy Story Land project. They seem to be taking sightlines seriously, which is more than can be said for - say - "a bug's land" at DCA (in that case due to the minuscule budget).

Considering this, I've looked again at my other big concern about this project: whether the coaster will be sufficiently themed as a "toy roller coaster," or whether it will look like a blatant "minimally-themed ride." A zoom-in shot of a section of the concept art appears to show some detail in the supports (e.g., color, etc), along with fairly significant detail in the "archways" around the track:

WDWMagic TSL Concept Art Zoom-In.png

This suggests that there might be some real effort to make the coaster track/supports fit in with the "toy" aesthetic - in fact, even more than the original concept art. As a result, I am cautiously optimistic about the aesthetic/thematic quality of this land. It won't be Pandora or Star Wars, but it might still be a net positive (rather than a net negative, like Dino-Rama, which again was the fault of an impossibly small budget provided to very talented imagineers).

DDLand

Seeing the construction progress on the structure that will block the parking garage from view is giving me somewhat greater hope in the aesthetic/thematic quality of the Toy Story Land project. They seem to be taking sightlines seriously, which is more than can be said for - say - "a bug's land" at DCA (in that case due to the minuscule budget).

Considering this, I've looked again at my other big concern about this project: whether the coaster will be sufficiently themed as a "toy roller coaster," or whether it will look like a blatant "minimally-themed ride." A zoom-in shot of a section of the concept art appears to show some detail in the supports (e.g., color, etc), along with fairly significant detail in the "archways" around the track:

View attachment 196710

This suggests that there might be some real effort to make the coaster track/supports fit in with the "toy" aesthetic - in fact, even more than the original concept art. As a result, I am cautiously optimistic about the aesthetic/thematic quality of this land. It won't be Pandora or Star Wars, but it might still be a net positive (rather than a net negative, like Dino-Rama, which again was the fault of an impossibly small budget provided to very talented imagineers).
The best lands transport you. Everything in the land just feels right. It starts to become more than a land, it becomes a place that could actually be real. Everything supports the project and it feels natural.

This whole area remains damaged because the entire premise is flawed. You never are convinced it could be real. You never feel transported. It never feels right.

At best it will win some comments like "that's cute" or "I guess I see what they were going for." Bluntly, I think this is the least compelling concept to come from modern WDI. Even Dinoroma does a better job at transporting you, which for all Dinoland's problems could actually be real.

An already tortured concept was tortured again during a recent round of cuts. This land should probably have the worst placemaking at Walt Disney World. It's bad. Luckily (sadly?) it will get a free pass because of Toy Story.

I am excited about the increased capacity and being able to finally ride a Swirling Saucers variant (by 2019 Mater will have 4 distinct versions with 3 IPs).

The fact this concept is making it into a park that is being reinvented and their newest Magic Kingdom is a travesty.

Last edited:

disneyC97

At least as "a bug's land" has multiple flat rides...they couldn't put one more here really? How expensive would a redress of Fliks Flyers really be?

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Sorry if this had been mentioned but is it possible that they ordered the tower cranes when the project was a little more advanced and they would have needed them? I'm sure these things are not cheap to rent and would assume that there are penalties on cancled orders. When the plans were trimmed down the cranes were unessessry but were worked around because the money had already been put out?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sorry if this had been mentioned but is it possible that they ordered the tower cranes when the project was a little more advanced and they would have needed them? I'm sure these things are not cheap to rent and would assume that there are penalties on cancled orders. When the plans were trimmed down the cranes were unessessry but were worked around because the money had already been put out?

No, I don't think so. There really wasn't anything in the original design that would have needed a tower crane any more then what is in this design. There is also the added expense of setting up and taking down the cranes that they wouldn't want to spend unless they had to.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
No, I don't think so. There really wasn't anything in the original design that would have needed a tower crane any more then what is in this design. There is also the added expense of setting up and taking down the cranes that they wouldn't want to spend unless they had to.
Thanks I did not think so, but as you said they are expensive to set up and take down so it seems like an odd choice. Would have liked to been a fly on the wall for that decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom