Tomorrowland Review

Figments Friend

My favorite thing about this movie is how much @Figments Friend loves it. :)

I do. This film has really struck a chord with me.
I guess it shows....

I think this film could really inspire some people if they just give it a chance and check it out.

Can i just confess now that when i return to Disneyland in August that i cannot wait to ride *It's A Small World* wearing my Frank Walker blue *T* pin..?
Yes, i said it....fan that i am.
No shame at all in publicly admitting that.

:D

Figments Friend

I searched "Tomorrowland criticism" and there's some reviews that are adding fuel to my theory about the divisive nature of the reaction to the movie. I agree with you completely that the criticism is self-fulfilling the movie's message. Pretty sure that there's a certain demographic that's going to hate the movie and one that's going to love it too. Apart from vague "It just isn't very good." type of remarks, it's hard to find an answer to 'why' folks feel so strongly. An example- I've never been more than 'meh' about any Harry Potter movies. I forget them shortly after I've seen them, but I admit that they are well made but I don't feel obligated to slam them. Folks seem to feel much stronger about this film in their criticism of it but can't/won't state it. The difference? there's no topical 'message' in a Potter film that I can see. There sure is in this one and I'm convinced that it's the dividing line.
Folks like mindless eye candy and entertainment at a movie. An escape. And I bet they felt either tricked, betrayed or even trapped when they were confronted with Bird and Lindelof's message. Something had to tick 'em off and I don't think it was the effects, acting or basic story.
You have to wonder if Walt had made "Mary Poppins" today if it would have bombed.

Your theory is most certainly true from my perspective, especially your line here -

"Folks like mindless eye candy and entertainment at a movie. An escape.
And I bet they felt either tricked, betrayed or even trapped when they were confronted with Bird and Lindelof's message."

Yep. That is one reason for sure.
Fully believe that and agree with you there.

I said this in a earlier post, but will say it again - there is really no 'middle ground' here.
Audiences seem to either come out of the theater absolutely loving the film, or absolutely hating it.
Two extreme ends of the spectrum, no real middle point.

I find that those that seem to 'absolutely love it' are creatives, dreamers, people involved in the arts, futurists, forward-thinking types, and the like.
Those that did'nt seem to care much for it have there reasons, but i wager for many the story and the concepts presented flew over a lot of 'Joe Average Audience Member's heads.
That first night i saw the film, i really got that impression.
I felt like the film was 'speaking' to me on a direct level, while i know the people next to me were just coasting through until the next action sequence.
When Nix gave his speech near the end, i totally understood what he was getting at but was amazed it was actually being said.
For about a split second i wanted to yell "YEAH!" and pump my fist. I 'got it'.
However, i immediately realized that speech alone was flying over a lot of heads in the audience, due to it's content and 'wordiness'.

The 'dividing line'...?
Probably a combination of expectations brought in, intelligence allegiance, and a already present optimist/dreamers mentality already being present in the viewer.
Also a individual's personal receptivity to some of the topics touched on in the context of the film.
Just a guess.

Last edited:

FoozieBear

I do. This film has really struck a chord with me.
I guess it shows....

I think this film could really inspire some people if they just give it a chance and check it out.

Can i just confess now that when i return to Disneyland in August that i cannot wait to ride *It's A Small World* wearing my Frank Walker blue *T* pin..?
Yes, i said it....fan that i am.
No shame at all in publicly admitting that.

:D

Same here! I'm such a big fan, and I feel it speaks with me just as much. It's taught me to be more Optimistic, and always look for that great tomorrow and how we can achieve it. The entire journey since 2013 has been incredible, and this movie is a great way to cap that off.

tcool

Oh...and by the way....

That Disney Store trivia event i was talking about earlier?
Turns out is was a secret recruiting campaign for Plus Ultra.

I suspected as such.....
;)
I want to be a part of Plus Ultra ! Now I really wish ive asked yesterday. Oh well. So did you join Plus Ultra , or is it secrect;)

Figments Friend

I want to be a part of Plus Ultra ! Now I really wish ive asked yesterday. Oh well. So did you join Plus Ultra , or is it secrect;)

Well, to be honest....

I am kind of hoping i am approached by a Plus Ultra agent that slips me a pin and tells me i am just what he has been looking for.
One of these days....

Just have to keep being a good 'Optimist' and sooner or later i might get spotted !

:)

Figments Friend

I'm the same, I loved it and keep telling everyone to see it, but nobody will :(. Maybe the movie's devotees should set up their own Plus Ultra!

Well, keep trying my friend.
Facebook does wonders, and just talking about it with people you know or meet also does the trick.

I have 'converted' six friends to date, with others 'out there'.
It's all about sparking their interest and letting them feel empowered by making up their own minds and ignoring the negative press reviews.
;)

BrerJon

Well, keep trying my friend.
Facebook does wonders, and just talking about it with people you know or meet also does the trick.

I have 'converted' six friends to date, with others 'out there'.
It's all about sparking their interest and letting them feel empowered by making up their own minds and ignoring the negative press reviews.
;)

I wish they'd called it 'EPCOT: The Movie' - would have made it far easier to convert many of my friends, that's for sure!

BrerJon

How's this for an EPCOT movie idea, or a possible Tomorrowland sequel?:

The setting is Progress City, the present day. The lead character wakes up and heads off to Seabase Alpha to work, while checking in on his folks up in space in Horizons land. Only something is wrong, and after a visit to the mysterious Imageworks labs, he finds himself in an alternate world (our world) where timelines have been rewritten, and now EPCOT is just a theme park. The second half of the film is a journey across eleven countries of the world, battling villains and gathering the eleven mysterious geodesic pieces that when joined together will change time back to how it should be.

prberk

-

Wow...have you guys seen this yet...?

Did some exploring online related to the 'Tomorrowland' film and came across this -

A animated short produced by Disney to promote the 'Tomorrowland' film....by giving a peek into the backstory of how Plus Ultra began!
A cool little four minute journey...

Check it out -

My friend who graduated in LA this weekend just went to see Tomorrowland at the Disney-owned El Capitan movie palace in Hollywood today, and he said that they actually showed this short before the film. Amazing. (They also had movie props on display.)

Now, can you imagine if they had done that at all of the showings across America?! I would be curious how it might have affected the reviews and understanding of the film if everyone had gotten this.

216bruce

My friend who graduated in LA this weekend just went to see Tomorrowland at the Disney-owned El Capitan movie palace in Hollywood today, and he said that they actually showed this short before the film. Amazing. (They also had movie props on display.)

Now, can you imagine if they had done that at all of the showings across America?! I would be curious how it might have affected the reviews and understanding of the film if everyone had gotten this.

I really think that the short should have been in the movie as it really explains a lot. The title also seems to be a problem with some folks. They wanted to see a movie that takes place in Tomorrowland. Kinda funny that Jurassic World (aka Jurassic Park 4) is doing incredible business and is really the same old, same old and something completely original tanks. And the whole premise of the Jurassic Park franchise is (man shouldn't be god and create and/or science can go too far) preachy too but done almost without notice.
Eye candy, shiny, bright things that sparkle...comfort, the known, repetition. Ugh...

Last edited:

216bruce

I think one of the main issues people have who saw the film is how LITTLE time is actually spent in Tomorrowland itself.
This is something many assumed we would be spending a lot of time in and viewers likely expected to see more of that setting.
Many found this to be a big letdown after all the exciting concept art, stunning visual preview peeks, and overall promise it all seemed to hold.
All that is shown is the quick fly though at the beginning with young Frank flying about in his jetpack, and Caseys amazing 4+ minute visit via her pin experience.
After that, most of the story focuses on real word settings. Then when we finally DO get back to Tomorrowland it is a desolate wasteland thanks to Nix kicking out all the creative thinkers.

If i went into the movie theater expecting this to be a fantasy/sci-fi picture that mainly took place in that alternative world, i would have been fairly disappointed too after seeing it.
When a film is called 'Tomorrowland', the assumption is that will be the case.
I think many were unpleasantly surprised when they realized that was not going to be the case.
So i can understand some of the critical response reflecting that disappointment.
It was a marvelous 'teaser'...that beautiful, futuristic city...one we ALL wanted to explore further, but it was decided to keep the peeks on the short side.

Of course i also wished there was more exploration of the city, but the scenes that are present in the final cut work for me In the context of the story being told.
I found that the short 4+ minute tease when Casey visits the 'perfect' Tomorrowland fitting as it actually sets up what becomes that characters' main drive during the course of the film
It gives the audience a fantastic tease that whets the appetite to explore that world further.
We just don't get the opportunity, or at least, not enough of a opportunity in some opinions, thus the disappointments.

So after that magnificent and tantalizing glimpse of the pristine version ofTomorrowland, Casey's character then spends the rest of the film trying to get back there to that world.
EXACTLY when we, the audience, desires to do.
WE all want to go back and see more of that fantastic alternative dimension, too ,so we the viewers now have the same emotional drive as her character does.
So to me, those short scenes 'work' in the context of the story.

The other 'big issue' critics and those who did'nt really like the film seem to have is they find it too 'political' of 'preachy'.
I cannot really grasp where they are seeing the 'political' angle in this story, but my guess is the environmental issues touched on in some scenes.
David Nix's 'monologue' is often specifically pointed out as being 'too preachy' and 'cringe worthy'.
We have discussed this previously here, which was good.

Perhaps the film just hit a nerve with some people who did'nt get the message, or interrupted it as a movie telling them point-blank that they are too lazy or un-inspired to change their own futures in a positive direction?
Perhaps the environmental tones irritated some people, or maybe brought on some inner guilt?
Perhaps they felt some of the perceived 'statements' being made were just messages they did'nt agree with or want to hear in the context of what they thought was going to be a family friendly fantasy film...?

That is what is great about films....everyone has there own way of enjoying or not enjoying them, and having their own interruptions and opinions about them.
This is good, as it makes great conversations.
Let's see if we can get some folks who did'nt like the film to talk more about the 'whys' behind it.
:)
As usual, you are spot-on with the observations.
I researched and sought out this movie since I was exposed to it's marketing at D23 Expo in 2013 and was drooling with anticipation. So much so that it was almost impossible for it to live up to it.
The movie is too intelligent for a lot of folks---"Gimme dinosaurs and fart jokes!"
Too preachy for some- "The world's just fine...I hate change". There's few things more polarizing than politics in general and climate change/global warming specifically. The movie 'gets into' the latter for sure and that will really irritate the "right".
Mostly...it asks the audience to help out some- use it's imagination, keep an open mind and try something new. The most upsetting thing about this is that there almost assuredly will be the end of the road for the whole "Tomorrowland" theme- no sequel, spin-off, nuthin...

prberk

I really think that the short should have been in the movie as it really explains a lot. The title also seems to be a problem with some folks. They wanted to see a movie that takes place in Tomorrowland. Kinda funny that Jurassic World (aka Jurassic Park 4) is doing incredible business and is really the same old, same old and something completely original tanks. And the whole premise of the Jurassic Park franchise is (man shouldn't be god and create and/or science can go too far) preachy too but done almost without notice.
Eye candy, shiny, bright things that sparkle...comfort, the known, repetition. Ugh...

Yeah, I loved the original Jurassic Park, and although I have not seen this one yet, it does seem to be essentially the same story and theme all over again ... just bigger and mutated.

And I have to say that the original Jurassic Park, which I think did a good job of balancing awe and beauty with fear and catastrophe possible in these scientific discoveries, was indeed from a very preachy source -- and had enough of it in the film. Michael Crichton's book from which it was based was nothing more than his own "Westworld" with dinosaurs. "Westworld" was a diatribe against the nature of man and gave us a bleak future. You are right to point out that Jurassic Park had some of that in it; but I did find that it struck a balance (at least the original) in showing the awe of science but cautioning not so much the use of it for advancement but that we becareful to use it with discrition. At least that was my take. I hear Jeff Goldblum in my ear saying, "You were so busy determining if you could do something that you never stopped to think if you should." But I can see how that could be extended by some into a negative against doing anything.

And I guess there is a fair comparison with Tomorrowland, where the cautions come this time from the optimists -- against the people who let their negative emotions rule and take over. Both movies are thrill rides with a story that has a point of view related to science. Although do see the difference, I do not necessarily consider Jurassic Park as entirely pessimistic toward science, just cautionary. I think its main draw is simply that the first one was from Steven Spielberg and a great, fun movie. So, familiarity, yes, with a very well known product, but also one that was known to be great.

So, I give that a pass primarily as a popcorn flick with good pedigree; but Mad Max I would argue was even worse on the "future is bad, there is no hope" scene. And also a sequel.

You are right that originality has a hard row to hoe these days, though. And I would like to have seen Tomorrowland not only do better box office, but also have spent a little more time on the backstory. I think it had the makings of a great film.

FoozieBear

I strongly disagree. I adore Jurassic Park, but hated the heck out of Jurassic World. It couldn't be any more different than the original.

216bruce

Yeah, I loved the original Jurassic Park, and although I have not seen this one yet, it does seem to be essentially the same story and theme all over again ... just bigger and mutated.

And I have to say that the original Jurassic Park, which I think did a good job of balancing awe and beauty with fear and catastrophe possible in these scientific discoveries, was indeed from a very preachy source -- and had enough of it in the film. Michael Crichton's book from which it was based was nothing more than his own "Westworld" with dinosaurs. "Westworld" was a diatribe against the nature of man and gave us a bleak future. You are right to point out that Jurassic Park had some of that in it; but I did find that it struck a balance (at least the original) in showing the awe of science but cautioning not so much the use of it for advancement but that we becareful to use it with discrition. At least that was my take. I hear Jeff Goldblum in my ear saying, "You were so busy determining if you could do something that you never stopped to think if you should." But I can see how that could be extended by some into a negative against doing anything.

And I guess there is a fair comparison with Tomorrowland, where the cautions come this time from the optimists -- against the people who let their negative emotions rule and take over. Both movies are thrill rides with a story that has a point of view related to science. Although do see the difference, I do not necessarily consider Jurassic Park as entirely pessimistic toward science, just cautionary. I think its main draw is simply that the first one was from Steven Spielberg and a great, fun movie. So, familiarity, yes, with a very well known product, but also one that was known to be great.

So, I give that a pass primarily as a popcorn flick with good pedigree; but Mad Max I would argue was even worse on the "future is bad, there is no hope" scene. And also a sequel.

You are right that originality has a hard row to hoe these days, though. And I would like to have seen Tomorrowland not only do better box office, but also have spent a little more time on the backstory. I think it had the makings of a great film.
Folks just love 'the known, the safe' and I'll bet that the majority of folks are completely unaware or don't care about the 'cautious' message of Jurassic Park/World I-IV. They just love big, angry dinos chasing people. The new Mad Max- I have no interest in, much like the new Jurassic. I've seen it already.
It's weird- folks gripe about Disney doing remakes, but then they go and see never-ending remakes and sequels of other franchises like these two. Go figure.

216bruce

I strongly disagree. I adore Jurassic Park, but hated the heck out of Jurassic World. It couldn't be any more different than the original.
Haven't seen it, mostly because it's of no interest to me. I saw the first one and enjoyed it as spectacle and the effects were groundbreaking for sure, but like endless Terminators and Mad Max's, they are all just kinda grim and I don't like that sort of thing.

prberk

Hey Fozzie, as I have not seen Jurassic World yet, but love Jurassic Park (mostly from the awe and wonder factor, as I mentioned above, despite its cautionary tale and preachiness also mentioned -- not to mention a fantastic soundtrak), I would like to know what you saw as the difference. I got the sense from the marketing that they sorto of threw away II and III (pretended they never happened) and made a direct sequel to the original that may have had some of the same qualities and mixture of awe and wonder with scariness that helped the other. (I also got the sense that it had the same essential story arc and was maybe almost a re=make but bigger and badder....)

Figments Friend

Yes !
It should have been included, but can understand why it was taken out.

Man, i really hope the home video release includes a Extended Cut of the film.
Put back the scenes of Young Frank visiting *Carousel Of Progress*, looking admiringly at Father up on stage.
These exist, as they were shown as part of a special preview at the 2013 D23 Expo.

I would like to know if Brad had final cut on this movie, or if Disney had the final say in the release.
It*s never a good thing when a studio messes with a directors vision.
This might explain some of missing elements and a few of the *awkward* moments some folks are criticizing.

Figments Friend

As usual, you are spot-on with the observations.
I researched and sought out this movie since I was exposed to it's marketing at D23 Expo in 2013 and was drooling with anticipation. So much so that it was almost impossible for it to live up to it.
The movie is too intelligent for a lot of folks---"Gimme dinosaurs and fart jokes!"
Too preachy for some- "The world's just fine...I hate change". There's few things more polarizing than politics in general and climate change/global warming specifically. The movie 'gets into' the latter for sure and that will really irritate the "right".
Mostly...it asks the audience to help out some- use it's imagination, keep an open mind and try something new. The most upsetting thing about this is that there almost assuredly will be the end of the road for the whole "Tomorrowland" theme- no sequel, spin-off, nuthin...

Spot on.
And your last bit there, about there likely being no continuation of the story, is disappointing as well.
This is why i think this story, setting, and characters would make a terrific comic book series or graphic art novel.
It has everything needed to go off into that field to become a interesting and potentially engrossing series.

I know a while ago someone commented on how perhaps the story of the *Tomorrowland* film would have been better told as a weekly tv series.
Not sure about that, but a comic series would work well considering the complicated back stories that could be explored.
The characters pasts and future adventures, *Tomorrowland*s building, decline, and rebirth, ..even more exposition and exploration of the mysterious secret society Plus Ultra.
With a team of good writers, the number of possible continuing adventures in that world could be endless!

Unfortunately, *Today*s Disney* would likely not invest in such a prospect solely because of the movie*s perceived *failure*
And that is a shame....as i see a lot more potential there.
I still believe that this film is going to make waves...but it needs time to find it*s audience.
Let*s hope the good word of mouth travels far enough to motivate some folks to change their minds and check it out !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom