Tomorrowland Review

Epcotbob

You could be on to something here.
I'm 44, and my big brush with 'forward thinking futurisim' was experiencing EPCOT Center when it was brand new.
April 83' was my first visit, and BLEW ME AWAY.
The concept, sense of empowerment the Attraction presentations gave you, and the overall excitement of what was to come is incredibly difficult to explain to someone who never had the chance to visit EPCOT Center back then.
It changed your life for the better, and inspired you in major ways.

I see a lot of that positive vibe from that experience, and time period, within the context of the 'Tomorrowland' film.
Perhaps that is why i enjoyed the film so much?
Perhaps...but i also enjoy the story and the characters.

I also lived through the exciting Space Shuttle program NASA was amidst in the early 1980s.
At the time i was living in Florida and you could see the launches from a distance away.
I remember once my elementary school class went outside to watch the launch from the playground ...that was in 1982 i believe.
Nothing matches seeing that with your own eyes...knowing those onboard are heading into space.
Today nobody seems to give a hoot about such goings on.

EXACTLY the same experience for me!

My first visit wasn't till I think 1987, but it was still Epcot in all it's original glory. My first walk through the turnstiles, the epic, grandios music playing as you approached Spaceship Earth, the fountain and the gleaming Epcot logo, I felt like I stepped into an alternate universe, It was truly remarkable. All of the Future World attractions had a cohesive theme that inspired you towards the future....but nothing quite like the Horizons pavilion, my all time favorite! For me, the unique thing about Epcot was it's inspirational quality, something you don't get from a typical theme or amusement park.

Agreed on Tomorrowland the movie, I loved it! I immediately understood what Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof were driving at with the film and once again, I felt the same sense of optimistic futurism and inspiration as that first trip to Epcot. I was thrilled they were tackling that as the main theme in this film, and thought they did an awesome job!

I'm a little bummed at the negative reaction, I guess visionaries are just too often misunderstood.

Figments Friend

How much do i love this movie now....??

Currently addicted to listening to the film soundtrack...have been over the last two days.
Dubbed it onto cassette tape ( yes, you read correctly! ) and really loving this score.

Went shopping recently...picked up a couple of nice 'Tomorrowland' t-shirts...as well as some new editions to the pin collection.
Also, finally ordered a copy of the 'Before Tomorrowland' book which came so highly recommended. ( thanks to Bruce! ) ;)
Looking forward to reading that...and learning about the beginnings of Plus Ultra.

I want to see this movie again.
Should i go for a forth time...?
Will be interesting to see if it is still at my local theaters this weekend now that the dinosaurs are about to invade......

216bruce

How much do i love this movie now....??

Currently addicted to listening to the film soundtrack...have been over the last two days.
Dubbed it onto cassette tape ( yes, you read correctly! ) and really loving this score.

Went shopping recently...picked up a couple of nice 'Tomorrowland' t-shirts...as well as some new editions to the pin collection.
Also, finally ordered a copy of the 'Before Tomorrowland' book which came so highly recommended. ( thanks to Bruce! ) ;)
Looking forward to reading that...and learning about the beginnings of Plus Ultra.

I want to see this movie again.
Should i go for a forth time...?
Will be interesting to see if it is still at my local theaters this weekend now that the dinosaurs are about to invade......
You'll love the book. It, in and of itself, would make a tremendous movie. Dare I say, it would do better box office.
I'm seeing it a third time sometime this week before it exits theaters.

Magenta Panther

Friends of mine who have seen the film have had very mixed reactions. Two say they didn't like it, and two say they did. And one told me he didn't understand why the critics are so down on it. When I asked the other guy about whether the movie is "preachy", he said, no, it just has something to say.

Sadly, my weekends are booked up right now with auxiliary projects, so I'll have to wait for it to come out on Amazon. :p

Figments Friend

You'll love the book. It, in and of itself, would make a tremendous movie. Dare I say, it would do better box office.
I'm seeing it a third time sometime this week before it exits theaters.

When i purchased it online through Amazon, upon checkout i had the option to start reading the first few pages.
I actually resisted the urge, as i just knew if i started reading it i would go nuts waiting to continue later !

Once it arrives, i know i will blow through it in no time. I consume books like water.
Really looking forward to it.

I'm also hoping to see 'Tomorrowland' again ...maybe next week...if it is still playing locally.
Need my forth showing!
:)

216bruce

When i purchased it online through Amazon, upon checkout i had the option to start reading the first few pages.
I actually resisted the urge, as i just knew if i started reading it i would go nuts waiting to continue later !

Once it arrives, i know i will blow through it in no time. I consume books like water.
Really looking forward to it.

I'm also hoping to see 'Tomorrowland' again ...maybe next week...if it is still playing locally.
Need my forth showing!
It's more of a classic adventure type story with a few poignant moments, a bunch of alternate history sorta stuff and just a lot of fun. Even includes a very integral comic book. It's a Young Adult level book so it'll fly.

Figments Friend

It's more of a classic adventure type story with a few poignant moments, a bunch of alternate history sorta stuff and just a lot of fun. Even includes a very integral comic book. It's a Young Adult level book so it'll fly.

Looking forward to it, mostly to learn more about the origins of Plus Ultra.
I know i will enjoy this book quite a bit.

They should turn this into a ongoing comic book series , covering more of the backstory of the alternative space and the film characters...as well as continued adventures of Frank and Casey ( Marvel 'Disney Kingdoms', are you reading this...? )

Hey, i'd read them !

216bruce

Looking forward to it, mostly to learn more about the origins of Plus Ultra.
I know i will enjoy this book quite a bit.

They should turn this into a ongoing comic book series , covering more of the backstory of the alternative space and the film characters...as well as continued adventures of Frank and Casey ( Marvel 'Disney Kingdoms', are you reading this...? )

Hey, i'd read them !
It'd make a great recruitment tool for Plus Ultra.;)

Figments Friend

Word is getting around that this film is worth seeing.

Just heard from two people that i know who saw the film this weekend based solely on my indirect recommendation.
They had seen all the posts i had made on the topic via a social media page and decided it must be something worth checking out since i was *promoting* it so enthusiastically.
Both of them said they loved it, and both admitted that they were avoiding it due to the bad press.
Now they are wondering why reviewers were so down on it.
I*m glad i was able to motivate them to see the movie as now they are both quite happy that they checked it out.

So two more *converted* fans!
:D

More good news -
Theaters in my area are still running *Tomorrowland* at a full schedule.
I assumed once *Jurrassic World* opened it would cause showings to dwindle or outright be pulled.
Nope.
*Tomorrowland* seems to be holding it*s own in Week 4.

Like i said, i have a feeling word is getting around that this is a good movie.
It will be interesting to see how full ( or not full ) the theater will be at my next showing.

Also of note-

A friend who works at a local Disney Store tipped me off that they are doing a *Tomorrowland* trivia game in-Store this week.
Come in and try to answer the trivia question of the day, and if you guess correctly you could walk out with one of those coveted *T* pins!
Now i am not certain if this is going on at all locations, or just something this particular location in my area is doing....but i thought it worth sharing here.

FoozieBear

Anyone who I know who has seen this movie has LOVED it. I just got a text from my friend who got back from the film and his response was "the movie was pure genius."

It seems like the audience response to this movie has been great. Sadly not a lot of people are actually going to see it, but it's good to know that the ones who did enjoyed it.

tcool

Also of note-

A friend who works at a local Disney Store tipped me off that they are doing a *Tomorrowland* trivia game in-Store this week.
Come in and try to answer the trivia question of the day, and if you guess correctly you could walk out with one of those coveted *T* pins!
Now i am not certain if this is going on at all locations, or just something this particular location in my area is doing....but i thought it worth sharing here.
Just left the Disney Store if I would've read this sooner I would've asked. I asked about Tomorrowland merchandise and there was none, but I got a free pin that was used to promote the film.

I went to see Tomorrowland with my mom. She liked it and liked as Well it was a win for both of us. Ironically there was more people today than when I first saw it.

216bruce

Word is getting around that this film is worth seeing.

Just heard from two people that i know who saw the film this weekend based solely on my indirect recommendation.
They had seen all the posts i had made on the topic via a social media page and decided it must be something worth checking out since i was *promoting* it so enthusiastically.
Both of them said they loved it, and both admitted that they were avoiding it due to the bad press.
Now they are wondering why reviewers were so down on it.
I*m glad i was able to motivate them to see the movie as now they are both quite happy that they checked it out.

So two more *converted* fans!
:D

More good news -
Theaters in my area are still running *Tomorrowland* at a full schedule.
I assumed once *Jurrassic World* opened it would cause showings to dwindle or outright be pulled.
Nope.
*Tomorrowland* seems to be holding it*s own in Week 4.

Like i said, i have a feeling word is getting around that this is a good movie.
It will be interesting to see how full ( or not full ) the theater will be at my next showing.

Also of note-

I'm starting to ask the 'haters' on the forum why they disliked it so much and if they've actually seen it. My theory is if they've seen it it's the message in it that turns some folks off- specifically the Nix monologue. If they haven't seen it- and I'll bet some of them haven't, why not. Is it critics? word of mouth? I'm just really curious as to "why". I have a theory....

FoozieBear

I'm starting to ask the 'haters' on the forum why they disliked it so much and if they've actually seen it. My theory is if they've seen it it's the message in it that turns some folks off- specifically the Nix monologue. If they haven't seen it- and I'll bet some of them haven't, why not. Is it critics? word of mouth? I'm just really curious as to "why". I have a theory....

There are people who I know on social media who would have loved it had the reviews been better. Just like in Tomorrowland, the public forms their opinions on what's given to them, so they accept doom and gloom in their entertainment, while Optimists look on the bright side of this movie and come out enjoying it.

216bruce

There are people who I know on social media who would have loved it had the reviews been better. Just like in Tomorrowland, the public forms their opinions on what's given to them, so they accept doom and gloom in their entertainment, while Optimists look on the bright side of this movie and come out enjoying it.
I searched "Tomorrowland criticism" and there's some reviews that are adding fuel to my theory about the divisive nature of the reaction to the movie. I agree with you completely that the criticism is self-fulfilling the movie's message. Pretty sure that there's a certain demographic that's going to hate the movie and one that's going to love it too. Apart from vague "It just isn't very good." type of remarks, it's hard to find an answer to 'why' folks feel so strongly. An example- I've never been more than 'meh' about any Harry Potter movies. I forget them shortly after I've seen them, but I admit that they are well made but I don't feel obligated to slam them. Folks seem to feel much stronger about this film in their criticism of it but can't/won't state it. The difference? there's no topical 'message' in a Potter film that I can see. There sure is in this one and I'm convinced that it's the dividing line.
Folks like mindless eye candy and entertainment at a movie. An escape. And I bet they felt either tricked, betrayed or even trapped when they were confronted with Bird and Lindelof's message. Something had to tick 'em off and I don't think it was the effects, acting or basic story.
You have to wonder if Walt had made "Mary Poppins" today if it would have bombed.

Figments Friend

I went to see Tomorrowland with my mom. She liked it and liked as Well it was a win for both of us. Ironically there was more people today than when I first saw it.

See....word IS getting around!

;)

Congrats on scoring a pin , too..!
If you are looking for 'Tomorrowland' merch, DisneyStore.Com is your friend.
Just search the film title and you will find actions figures, binders, tees, and more.
Also, HotTopic.Com has a decent alternative 'Tomorrowland' t-shirt.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I think one of the main issues people have who saw the film is how LITTLE time is actually spent in Tomorrowland itself.
This is something many assumed we would be spending a lot of time in and viewers likely expected to see more of that setting.
Many found this to be a big letdown after all the exciting concept art, stunning visual preview peeks, and overall promise it all seemed to hold.
All that is shown is the quick fly though at the beginning with young Frank flying about in his jetpack, and Caseys amazing 4+ minute visit via her pin experience.
After that, most of the story focuses on real word settings. Then when we finally DO get back to Tomorrowland it is a desolate wasteland thanks to Nix kicking out all the creative thinkers.

If i went into the movie theater expecting this to be a fantasy/sci-fi picture that mainly took place in that alternative world, i would have been fairly disappointed too after seeing it.
When a film is called 'Tomorrowland', the assumption is that will be the case.
I think many were unpleasantly surprised when they realized that was not going to be the case.
So i can understand some of the critical response reflecting that disappointment.
It was a marvelous 'teaser'...that beautiful, futuristic city...one we ALL wanted to explore further, but it was decided to keep the peeks on the short side.

Of course i also wished there was more exploration of the city, but the scenes that are present in the final cut work for me In the context of the story being told.
I found that the short 4+ minute tease when Casey visits the 'perfect' Tomorrowland fitting as it actually sets up what becomes that characters' main drive during the course of the film
It gives the audience a fantastic tease that whets the appetite to explore that world further.
We just don't get the opportunity, or at least, not enough of a opportunity in some opinions, thus the disappointments.

So after that magnificent and tantalizing glimpse of the pristine version ofTomorrowland, Casey's character then spends the rest of the film trying to get back there to that world.
EXACTLY when we, the audience, desires to do.
WE all want to go back and see more of that fantastic alternative dimension, too ,so we the viewers now have the same emotional drive as her character does.
So to me, those short scenes 'work' in the context of the story.

The other 'big issue' critics and those who did'nt really like the film seem to have is they find it too 'political' of 'preachy'.
I cannot really grasp where they are seeing the 'political' angle in this story, but my guess is the environmental issues touched on in some scenes.
David Nix's 'monologue' is often specifically pointed out as being 'too preachy' and 'cringe worthy'.
We have discussed this previously here, which was good.

Perhaps the film just hit a nerve with some people who did'nt get the message, or interrupted it as a movie telling them point-blank that they are too lazy or un-inspired to change their own futures in a positive direction?
Perhaps the environmental tones irritated some people, or maybe brought on some inner guilt?
Perhaps they felt some of the perceived 'statements' being made were just messages they did'nt agree with or want to hear in the context of what they thought was going to be a family friendly fantasy film...?

That is what is great about films....everyone has there own way of enjoying or not enjoying them, and having their own interruptions and opinions about them.
This is good, as it makes great conversations.
Let's see if we can get some folks who did'nt like the film to talk more about the 'whys' behind it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom