Tomorrowland Review

Figments Friend

Well, the July 4th weekend has come and went, and a slew of new movies were released......but guess what.
*Tomorrowland* is STILL playing at my local theater here.
Thought for sure it would have moved out by now, but happily it is still where it*s been since opening day in May.
The only one left in my area still playing it.

Man do i love independent film houses.

Maybe i need to go and see it again.....
:D

Bairstow

Finally saw it tonight as it opened at the local discount theater.
I think I liked this movie more when it was called Terminator 2.

Still, it was fun to spot all the Disney nods in the first third of the movie.
Here's to hoping Brad Bird gets his mojo back in the Incredibles sequel.

prberk

A look at the likely bonus features for the US release...yeah, a directors cut would have been nice.
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney...eleted-scenes-hugh-laurie-mockumentary-75775/

Doesn't look like the scene that they filmed at CoP at WDW is included among the "deleted scenes." Can't tell for sure, though, based on titles alone; but I was really hoping to see that. Maybe it was never finished, and just raw footage exists of the CoP and the people standing in line for it (in '60s garb).

I find it interesting, also, that the list punches up the importance of "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow," even though CoP references were cut from the movie and the song itself was left off of the official soundtrack.

I am glad to see the extras that they did include, and look forward to the World's Fair one, and anything from Brad Bird. Probably would have made sense to include the old "Disney visits the World's Fair" episode from his TV show, but I guess I am not surprised it is not included.

After seeing NO "Tomorrowland" pins at DL last weekend during the expo, I am happy to see this movie at least getting a fairly sizeable number of extras anyway. Thank you to Disney for that.

I guess we will see what actually comes on the disc.

216bruce

Doesn't look like the scene that they filmed at CoP at WDW is included among the "deleted scenes." Can't tell for sure, though, based on titles alone; but I was really hoping to see that. Maybe it was never finished, and just raw footage exists of the CoP and the people standing in line for it (in '60s garb).

I find it interesting, also, that the list punches up the importance of "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow," even though CoP references were cut from the movie and the song itself was left off of the official soundtrack.

I am glad to see the extras that they did include, and look forward to the World's Fair one, and anything from Brad Bird. Probably would have made sense to include the old "Disney visits the World's Fair" episode from his TV show, but I guess I am not surprised it is not included.

After seeing NO "Tomorrowland" pins at DL last weekend during the expo, I am happy to see this movie at least getting a fairly sizeable number of extras anyway. Thank you to Disney for that.

I guess we will see what actually comes on the disc.
Apart from a decent amount of folks wearing Tomorrowland t-shirts there was no presence of the movie at all. In 2013 it was one of THE big deals at the Expo. bummer. I was praying for a directors cut/ridiculously long version of thew movie but I guess that's never going to appear.

prberk

Apart from a decent amount of folks wearing Tomorrowland t-shirts there was no presence of the movie at all. In 2013 it was one of THE big deals at the Expo. bummer. I was praying for a directors cut/ridiculously long version of thew movie but I guess that's never going to appear.

Yeah, it looks like they anticipated the movie not doing well. They don't seem to have made ANY park merchandise tied to it, which I would think would have been a natural since its name is also a park name and themed land. Sales would have legs beyond the movie itself.

But NOTHING. Unless you count a few pins that the staff said were made and sold for a very short time when the film came out. But NOTHING now, and has been that way for a while, according to the cast member.

From the marketing all the way around, I don't think that they believed in it (at least once it was made).

Sad.

Figments Friend

Director Kevin Smith loves Tomorrowland -

Kevin Smith

August 16 at 1:14pm ·
Watching ‪#‎Tomorrowland‬ on a plane for the 3rd time this week. It's such an imaginative, beautiful movie that makes me cry. Dude sitting next to me is concerned.

My coast to coast flight from California post-D23 Expo showed 'Tomorrowland' as the in flight movie, too.
I was thrilled....seemed the perfect movie after what i had just experienced in Anaheim!
:)

I am really convinced this movie will 'find it's audience' even moreso once it hits home video release.
It HAS to.
It's such a great concept....we had better be seeing a comic series for this at some point !

Figments Friend

-

I was thinking of all my fellow 'Tomorrowland' fans here when I came across this fun 'movie trailer' for ' ToxiCosmos 3' , the fictional disaster movie seen advertised on billboards through the course of the film.
It uses clips from ' Tomorrowland' was well as a few other recent films with Nix's pessimistic speech to create this fun little spoof.
Be sure to pay attention to the 'film studios' listed near the start...some great in jokes there to other un-happy futurism flicks of yore contained in them.

Have a look...and don't forget to mark October 13th on your calendars!
;)

Last edited:

216bruce

-

I was thinking of all my fellow 'Tomorrowland' fans here when I came across this fun 'movie trailer' for ' ToxiCosmos 3' , the fictional disaster movie seen advertised on billboards through the course of a film.
It uses clips from ' Tomorrowland' was well as a few other recent films with Nix's pessimistic speech to create this fun little spoof.
Be sure to pay attention to the 'film studios' listed near the start...some great in jokes there to other un-happy futurism flicks of yore contained in them.

Have a look...and don't forget to mark October 13th on your calendars!
;)

THAT was spot-on!

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Just watched this for the first time....enjoyed it for what it was worth. The somewhat of a love story between Clooneys character and the little girl robot was a little worrisome at the end but I liked it.

prberk

Had a Halloween night campfire with an outdoor movie for my local church youth group, and while we had some thrillers to choose from for the main feature, they voted for "Tomorrowland," which none had seen.

They (high schoolers) liked it, just as had some of the others of the same age who had gone with me to see it over the summer in theatres. They always seem to like Athena, and especially the truck scene.

sofiathesecond

I can't remember where I saw this, but I read an interview with one of the head guys at Disney where they asked him if the failure of Tomorrowland, The Lone Ranger, etc. would deter them from making any more films like that. His response was that it wouldn't because they feel it's important to keep trying different things and not just settle for churning out what they know will sell.

I would argue that Tim Burton's Dumbo fits that category because you know it'll be different and probably unrecognizable from the original film. And that's a good thing. If they're going to do all these live action remakes, the best thing they can do is experiment and let each director do their film any way they want to so it won't just be a rehash and there'll be a reason for it to exist. Personally, I thought Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland was better than the original *ducks*.

prberk

I can't remember where I saw this, but I read an interview with one of the head guys at Disney where they asked him if the failure of Tomorrowland, The Lone Ranger, etc. would deter them from making any more films like that. His response was that it wouldn't because they feel it's important to keep trying different things and not just settle for churning out what they know will sell.

I would argue that Tim Burton's Dumbo fits that category because you know it'll be different and probably unrecognizable from the original film. And that's a good thing. If they're going to do all these live action remakes, the best thing they can do is experiment and let each director do their film any way they want to so it won't just be a rehash and there'll be a reason for it to exist. Personally, I thought Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland was better than the original *ducks*.

Well, I did not see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland remake, but I will remind you (and others) that Walt himself did not seem to think too much of his own take on Alice in Wonderland. You may remember that he lamented that it did not have heart, and that he believed that was why it was a failure at the box office.

That also reminds me that many Disney films that we call classics today were box office failures in their initial release. Look at Fantasia, which they are celebrating even today with a 75th anniversary showing at theatres -- which has an iconic image (sorcerer apprentice Mickey) that is now universally recognized. It was a financial disaster. Also Bambi was a financial failure at the box office, but later became a reference standard for art in animation.

So, first, I want to note that maybe you are not alone in finding the Tim Burton film better than the original, because even Walt himself found the original lacking.

And, second, just because a film like Tomorrowland does less at the box office than they might have hoped, it could find its audience over time. I liked it, and as a youth director at my church, I noticed that so did most of the students in my program -- and they can be a cynical as anyone else. So, I wish people would change the narrative on Tomorrowland being a failure. Maybe it was as a percentage of its budget, but it has had an influence, and may continue to do so.

FoozieBear

Well, I did not see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland remake, but I will remind you (and others) that Walt himself did not seem to think too much of his own take on Alice in Wonderland. You may remember that he lamented that it did not have heart, and that he believed that was why it was a failure at the box office.

That also reminds me that many Disney films that we call classics today were box office failures in their initial release. Look at Fantasia, which they are celebrating even today with a 75th anniversary showing at theatres -- which has an iconic image (sorcerer apprentice Mickey) that is now universally recognized. It was a financial disaster. Also Bambi was a financial failure at the box office, but later became a reference standard for art in animation.

So, first, I want to note that maybe you are not alone in finding the Tim Burton film better than the original, because even Walt himself found the original lacking.

And, second, just because a film like Tomorrowland does less at the box office than they might have hoped, it could find its audience over time. I liked it, and as a youth director at my church, I noticed that so did most of the students in my program -- and they can be a cynical as anyone else. So, I wish people would change the narrative on Tomorrowland being a failure. Maybe it was as a percentage of its budget, but it has had an influence, and may continue to do so.

Now THAT'S the optimistic way of looking at it! See? The movie is already having an influence on us. :)

prberk

Well, to all of my Tomorrowland fans out there, it looks like we have a new movie to check out. The Space Between Us, which opens today, stars Tomorrowland's Britt Robertson (Casey) in another earthbound sci-fi role that looks to complement the tone of her role and the overall tone of Tomorrowland.

She plays the earthbound love interest of a sixteen-year-old who was born on Mars as part of an experimental situation with a small colony there. He has only met 14 people in his whole life in person until he goes to earth, apparently in part to meet her and to have a "normal" life. But because he was born on Mars they are concerned that his body and heart in particular cannot handle extended gravity. Looks like a nice little movie, perhaps with some holes in the plot (like if the gravity on earth would hurt his heart, how about the g-forces of that blast-off...). But, like Tomorrowland, it seems to ask broader questions. Anyway, I am intrigued and I thought you all might be, especially @216bruce and @Figments Friend and @FoozieBear .

216bruce

Well, to all of my Tomorrowland fans out there, it looks like we have a new movie to check out. The Space Between Us, which opens today, stars Tomorrowland's Britt Robertson (Casey) in another earthbound sci-fi role that looks to complement the tone of her role and the overall tone of Tomorrowland.

She plays the earthbound love interest of a sixteen-year-old who was born on Mars as part of an experimental situation with a small colony there. He has only met 14 people in his whole life in person until he goes to earth, apparently in part to meet her and to have a "normal" life. But because he was born on Mars they are concerned that his body and heart in particular cannot handle extended gravity. Looks like a nice little movie, perhaps with some holes in the plot (like if the gravity on earth would hurt his heart, how about the g-forces of that blast-off...). But, like Tomorrowland, it seems to ask broader questions. Anyway, I am intrigued and I thought you all might be, especially @216bruce and @Figments Friend and @FoozieBear .

I saw the trailer in a theater and it looks intriguing. The plot holes are easily overlooked, like in most sci-fi/fantasy films . With the tone and mood of the country these days, it's even sadder that "Tomorrowland" was so overlooked. The spirit that Britt Robertson's character exhibited is sorely needed.

Figments Friend

Agree with the above, and many thanks for thinking of me @prberk .

I also saw the trailer a couple of months ago when I went to see a movie, and found it interesting.
I recognized 'Casey' right away , and even before she showed up my interest was already tapped due to the context of the trailer.
Might well be worth checking out, despite the 'romantic' elements hinted at.

I still watch 'Tomorrowland' every couple of months.
Still enjoyable and I listen to the musical score pretty regularly when working on things at home.

Such a shame it did not acheive the mega-success Disney wants these days from its films.
It would have been cool to see some of the design aspects of the film make it into the Parks in some form.

-

FoozieBear

Love the concept, love the trailer, but judging by the response it's gotten by reviews, I probably won't rush out to see it so quickly. Looks great though, but saw with Tomorrowland, I'm certain it'll be a box office fumble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom