To pay for Very Merry Christmas... or not? what am I missing?

BAD311

Original Poster
So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending $89 a person for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas...

It looks like it's from 7pm until 12am... it consists of a unique fireworks performance... and... what else? lol Reduced crowds? Christmas at every ride or just main street? I've never been and would love to learn more so I know what to expect and to convince some family to jump on board and pony up the $89 to do it.

It also looks like the good restaurants are already booked up for when we want to go :-( I guess I can keep checking and see if something opens up? or don't waste my time?

I am Timmy

Do some research, see if it's worth it for your family. We always go, because xmas in MK. In the past you have been able to enter the park at 4pm with your party ticket, and I usually make dining res. for about 4:15 to 4:30 to give us time to get there after entering the park. We also like the special merchandise sold at the party - we all get a t-shirt for sure. Then there is the "snow" on Main Street, the special parade, the xmas stage show, and special fireworks. There is usually some kind of dance party with a DJ and characters roaming around, free cocoa and cookies (not our thing, but you can ask for sugar free options), and lots of decorations. In the past they even did a special xmas theme on Jungle Cruise, making it "Jingle Cruise". And if you enjoy character meets, check and see who will be there during the party and make a plan for the evening. A lot of this offered for free right before xmas, but the crowds will be bigger.

MaximumEd

Mickeys very merry christmas party consits of Mickeys once upon a christmas time parade (special parade), Holiday Wishes (special fireworks), A frozen holiday wish (Castle christmas lighting), a stage show in Tomorrowland, and special meet and greets.

As for the restaurants during MVMCP just keep checking, I saw Be our guest opened for yesterday as well as Cinderella's royal table a few nights ago for my MVMCP date. ;)
Your day may be the same as ours. Got an email yesterday from TP with a BOG opening. We've eaten there several times and actually passed on it as I find the food doesn't live up to the ambiance. My last strip steak there in March was just blah.

MaximumEd

You're having to do some serious gymnastics to get that worked out. Our date is Nov 17. We are going to Liberty Tree that day for lunch. I love the corn fritters and the rest of the food is great to me, but I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy. We are doing CRT another day of the trip and always enjoy it from the theme to the food. I love the way BOG looks and love the meat and cheese app plate, but remain underwhelmed with the rest of the menu, especially for lunch.

wendysue

We did not think the MVMCP was worth the EXTRA money. You already pay through the nose for park tickets, so why pay another 89 bucks for some cocoa and cookies & different colored fireworks. It was still very crowded. Not our thing, but you may enjoy it.

Jeremy P

There's also Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration (The castle stage show).

We find the parties to be worth it because it's a fun, special thing to do. If your budget allows and you enjoy the childlike mood surrounding Christmas, I'm sure your family will love it. Definitely not noticeably less crowded in most areas in my opinion because everyone crowds in certain spots but I loved it. Last year, we went and waited for the second parade and had a huge spot to ourselves on the sidewalk in the middle of Main Street. Again, you will get plenty of people that think it's not worth it as well so it really depends on you and your family and your budget.

21stamps

Crowds were high on my Party evening last year, but the general festive attitude of everyone as well as the parade made it totally worth it.

There's also a special Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card exclusive for party guests.. we spent the majority of the party playing the game. Had hoped to meet Jack Skelington, we passed on that, not willing to wait in the character lines.

ppete1975

As long as you don't do Christmas week or a major day I say YES!!! I did it in 2014 on a Tuesday think. The crowds were still there for the parades and stuff... but walking around and getting on rides was so little traffic. All rides were walkups, the Christmas music, the snow, the parades the characters the hot cocoa and cookies and just the general feel. IT IS TOTALLY WORTH DOING ONCE!! Especially the walk on rides lol. And the night time was amazing totally different feel. It felt like the parks in the 80s 90s to me less crowds and short lines!!

Cowboy Steve

We discovered Christmas at Disney in 2011 and did MVMCP that year... and have done it every trip since. We really enjoy it. This is the first year we will use the party as our actual day in the park, as we arrive that morning, and with the 4pm entrance it is a solid 8 hours in the park. Our trips are usually within the first 3 weeks after Thanksgiving, and the party has never sold out, and the crowds were pretty good (by MK standards). Christmas is my favorite time of year, and Disney does it very well. It has become special for my fiancé and me because her first trip to Disney in 35 years was in December and we did the party. She was like a little kid again lol. As others have suggested I would consider using the party as a park day and save one of your regular park tickets.

Herdman

We went to the party for the first time last year, and we loved it. The parade itself almost makes it worth the price of admission in my opinion. If you've never been to the MK during the Christmas season (as was the case with us last year) I would recommend doing it if you can budget the money for it.

BAD311

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all of the input! I think we'll try it once... if I can get a reservation for BOG or CRT, haha. I have a reservation for CRT for 11:45am (super early, omg but some family REALLY wanted to go there again, regardless of what time of day).

MaximumEd mentioned he was able to get a reservation with TP? What's TP?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Regardless of what you read online, only YOU can decide whether or not it's "worth it" to spend the extra dollars.

Some people love it; some people hate it. Try it once and see which camp you're in.

TP refers to an ADR advisory service run by another Disney-focused website. Google "TP ADR WDW" for more info.

rkleinlein

Sorry to be a naysayer but my family all agreed that it was a total rip off; a shameless cash-grab preying on people who can't bear to miss a Christmas parade in the Magic Kingdom. If it's worth it to you and your family to pay $90 per person to see the Christmas parade and fireworks (as opposed the the other parade and fireworks you get for regular admission on non-Chritsmas party nights when you actually stay in the park until regular closing time) then give it a try. Otherwise skip it and the Magic Kingdom on days the Christmas Party is scheduled.

rob0519

Worth is relative. I've paid for these extra events because my family likes them. I cringe every time I pay for the tickets. I think these paid events that close the park hours earlier than on non event days to people who have bought a full day admission is an insult. Management is taking away something of value from those people. If you discount general admission on special event nights to those who choose not to pay extra I would have no problem. It's just a corporate money grab during peak season. From a business perspective I absolutely understand it, but I don't have to like it or think it's ethical.

Last edited:

Dave B

So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending $89 a person for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas...

It looks like it's from 7pm until 12am... it consists of a unique fireworks performance... and... what else? lol Reduced crowds? Christmas at every ride or just main street? I've never been and would love to learn more so I know what to expect and to convince some family to jump on board and pony up the $89 to do it.

It also looks like the good restaurants are already booked up for when we want to go :-( I guess I can keep checking and see if something opens up? or don't waste my time?
You actually can get in at 4pm, so its 4pm-12am

AndyS2992

I think all the premium parties are pointless and all the seasonal extras should be covered by the standard ticket price for everyone every day of the season.

But if you were to compare value for money of the Halloween and Christmas parties, the Halloween party wins hands down and makes the Christmas party look a bit crap. But if it's a once in a lifetime thing then go for it and do it just the once so you can say you have tried it.

Keith2426

I completely agree with the earlier post. The xmas hard ticket event is fun to do once but $90 extra for this event is complete corporate greed and is a complete insult to those guests who paid over $100.00 and are forced to leave the park early. Unless I'm missing something other than the parade and special fireworks you can still see everything else on a normal night during xmas time. O yes, I forgot the coco and cookies. These hard ticket events are just another reason for the decline in the overall Disneyworld experience. It's very sad to see how much things have changed there and not for the better.

BAD311

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the info... We may heed the warnings and take the extra day and spend it at Universal Studios... they have a new Christmas thing going on this year and crowd levels are like 1-2 out of 10. We expect that level to increase a bit because of the new Christmas stuff they have going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom