To pay for Very Merry Christmas... or not? what am I missing?

BAD311

Original Poster
Universal studio's isn't really doing anything new for christmas besides adding a 5 minute holiday projection show onto Hogwarts for the last few hours of the park hours, everything else will be the same at Universal, it will not be a big draw.

Thanks for the info! We've all agreed to skip the MVMCP or whatever it's called,lol.

roj2323

Do some research, see if it's worth it for your family. We always go, because xmas in MK. In the past you have been able to enter the park at 4pm with your party ticket, and I usually make dining res. for about 4:15 to 4:30 to give us time to get there after entering the park. We also like the special merchandise sold at the party - we all get a t-shirt for sure. Then there is the "snow" on Main Street, the special parade, the xmas stage show, and special fireworks. There is usually some kind of dance party with a DJ and characters roaming around, free cocoa and cookies (not our thing, but you can ask for sugar free options), and lots of decorations. In the past they even did a special xmas theme on Jungle Cruise, making it "Jingle Cruise". And if you enjoy character meets, check and see who will be there during the party and make a plan for the evening. A lot of this offered for free right before xmas, but the crowds will be bigger.
The party honestly sounds like a great date night.

Keith2426

Not to make things more confusion for you I wouldn't say that a trip to Universal Studios is the greatest alternative. If you are traveling with 1,3 and 7 yo childern I wouldn't personally recommend Universal Studios. In my opinion there are very limited things to do and see for children that age. Islands of Adventure will be a complete waste of time. Universal Orlando will be much better for you and your family when your kids are teens. Even though I have been down on Disney lately I would strongly recommend you stay at WDW and make the most of your park hopper tickets. I think you will be much happier and save some money in the long run.

WildRide

It's worth it if you don't already pay for the MK for the entire day. They let you in earlier than 7 (4ish or something). You get way more done because the crowds are so small and then there are the small perks (christmas fireworks, and some snacks). We were on the fence when we did it last year and found it was very worth it.

MaximumEd

To the OP, there is a site called touringplans.com. You have to pay to be a member and get the most use from the service, but it's pretty cheap for a year. They have crows level calendars and a service that lets you put in what park you will be visiting, the hours you plan to be there, and what attractions you'd like to hit. It will tell you the most efficient way to navigate the park to get all your stuff done. They also have a reservation finder. You tell it what restaurant you want, including the time and day, and it will keep checking for you and shoot you an email if one pops up and you can go immediately book it. We have used the service for years and find it invaluable for our needs.

juniorthomas

It's nice to have access to a park with slightly reduced crowds. Is it worth the price of admission? That depends. If you have a 6 day trip or if you have a park hopper, it may not be worth it. If you go single day and have fewer vacation days, as is the case when I go, it may be worth spending the money. I dislike the fact that I could have one of my four days at WDW cut short by the MVMCP; if I'm there, I want all of the time I can have in the parks.

wyattspoppa

So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending $89 a person for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas...

It looks like it's from 7pm until 12am... it consists of a unique fireworks performance... and... what else? lol Reduced crowds? Christmas at every ride or just main street? I've never been and would love to learn more so I know what to expect and to convince some family to jump on board and pony up the $89 to do it.

It also looks like the good restaurants are already booked up for when we want to go :-( I guess I can keep checking and see if something opens up? or don't waste my time?
Spend your $ on the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween instead, way more unique than some snow on MS and free cocoa. We walked out of the party with 13 lbs of candy too, enough to handle all our trick or treaters...The Halloween stage show is amazing, the atmosphere of the park, and the crowd level, # of tickets they sold made for what felt like a January day at Disneyland

Malstrom4ever

I went last year, I found it very worth the price. If you try to hit all the rides, you can get an entire days worth of rides into that party time. Plus, the fun Christmas snacks are great!! However, I personally would only attend a Christmas party on a day that I do NOT have a park ticket for the day.... that is my strategy to get the most bang for your buck.

Nnelsonmandela

I wouldn't pay for Magic Kingdom AND the Christmas party on the same day. If you go to the Christmas party, you get the full Magic Kingdom experience for cheaper than the normal day rate. Personally, I've only been to MK once outside MVMCP and MNSSHP. Plus, $89 for up to 8 hours in the park is not a bad rate, and there aren't many people that would spend more time in the park on a given day.

julietsstars

The only reason I chose to do it was for my daughters first time at Disney. She was 5 and remembers none of it. It made for some great memories that we retained lol The crowds were long for character pictures. Peter Pan was still a long wait. Overall, no regrets! It did get very chilly at night so keep that in mind. May need to dress in layers. I would pick this over a dessert party any day.

Also, we just did this ticket on one day and saved some money by NOT getting a park ticket also.

dreamfinder

If you want to see the Christmas entertainment at MK and not deal with the crowds the week before Christmas, the party is your only option. Fireworks, parade, stage show, meet & greets and holiday snacks are about it that isn't available on a normal day. Definitely scrounge up some trip reports/park maps from last year so you can see what it is. As other have said, most consider the Halloween party to be vastly superior, but there is something to be said about being on Main Street when it snows.

Visited Disney World at Christmas 2016 and paid to go to Mickeys very merry Christmas party. Worth every penny( I'm British obviously) Had the most amazing time, the parade the shows, the fireworks and of course the food. We were so happy we cried. You gotta do it! Also did Jingle Bell Jingle Bam desert party at DHS which was fabulous and the Candlelight Processional with Neil Patrick Harris at Epcot which was beautiful. Wish I could do it again this year!

JillC LI

We loved MNSSHP but chose not to attend MVMCP when we were there in December a few years later. We watched the holiday fireworks from atop Cali Grill one night. No regrets.

Stevek

We did it during our visit in December of 2010, absolutely loved it. Highly recommend doing it if you love Christmas like we do.

BrunoTaTa

So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending $89 a person for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas...

It looks like it's from 7pm until 12am... it consists of a unique fireworks performance... and... what else? lol Reduced crowds? Christmas at every ride or just main street? I've never been and would love to learn more so I know what to expect and to convince some family to jump on board and pony up the $89 to do it.

It also looks like the good restaurants are already booked up for when we want to go :-( I guess I can keep checking and see if something opens up? or don't waste my time?
Went last year, regretted it. Turned a nice quiet time of year into a crowded annoying event.

JeffH

The Halloween Party is more unique, in that you can't see its parade or fireworks at any other time. While you can basically enjoy the Christmas Party's parade and fireworks from the day after the last party until New Years. Of course, if you can't be there during that time then the Christmas Party IS unique and special for you if you attend it. BOTH parades are very themed and memorable. The Christmas Party can be extra special if you enjoy it on your arrival to herald in your Christmas vacation. And as pointed out, be sure to enjoy it fully by arriving by 4pm so you can 'settle in', enjoy a meal and preview the decorations and plan your night. It is a nice 'package' devoted to Christmas, including your free hot chocolate and cookies (they are still doing that, aren't they?). If you have young kids then the special parties and autograph opportunities make it even more special. And if it just happens to be cold out, then you've hit the jackpot!!!
As far as whether it's worth the $89 dollars? Do you already have tickets (annual passes?), or are you buying daily passes when you get here? If you are buying dailies, then the $89 is pretty much one of those days (4pm-midnight), and it's well worth it.
When my daughter and I used to go, since we always go to Disney, we'd concentrate on enjoying all the 'Christmas' shows (most of which are gone now, like Mickey's Night before Xmas and the show at the Diamond Horseshoe, I think only the castle show remains) and entertainment and special attractions (like the no more Country Bear Xmas show, now we have the Jingle Jungle Cruise).
However, if your family will tend to head to and ride all the attractions all night, then what is the point?

Here comes Scrooge..
So I still pay full price for my Hopper pass but get booted out early or pay extra and get a partial park open...not all rides...but can buy custom party merchandise. I have been here during early December...lines are not bad during the day so shorter lines are not a selling point...sorry...but my ripp off Bell is sounding.

21stamps

Here comes Scrooge..
So I still pay full price for my Hopper pass but get booted out early or pay extra and get a partial park open...not all rides...but can buy custom party merchandise. I have been here during early December...lines are not bad during the day so shorter lines are not a selling point...sorry...but my ripp off Bell is sounding.

Did you go in early December 2016? It was crowded then.
We did it during our visit in December of 2010, absolutely loved it. Highly recommend doing it if you love Christmas like we do.

Same, if you're a Christmas Fan it's great!!

OP- I think you made up your mind, but if you're still on the fence, read a few trip reports. I haven't seen complaints. With your kids ages I'd choose MVMCP over Universal for sure. Bonus- it's a lot less expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom