To pay for Very Merry Christmas... or not? what am I missing?

note2001

If you do want to attend, decide before the tickets sell out.
I've not done the party yet - the last time I had the option to I decided to wait until the day-of and, if there were tickets still available, I'd go. Well, tickets sold out early that morning before I could check on them. Always expect tickets to sell out (early in the season if the night is an in-demand night... mine was the first tuesday of December, not a high demand day.)

Now that I've had a chance to think it over, I'm glad I didn't waste the money. Disney hasn't amped up the Christmas event nights to the level worth of $90 for anyone not interested in character meet and greets. When they figure this one out I may reconsider.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My experience has been that the Castle lighting show is the same on non-party days as it is on party days.

DreamalittleDisney

We did not think the MVMCP was worth the EXTRA money. You already pay through the nose for park tickets, so why pay another 89 bucks for some cocoa and cookies & different colored fireworks. It was still very crowded. Not our thing, but you may enjoy it.
Think there should be some sort of discount if you already have a full day ticket for the day they are running an extra event ... we are booked over halloween next year but is going to be extra £200+ to gain access to the park which we already in theory have paid for a ticket to enter during our holiday ... doubt I'll manage to trick or treat £200 worth of candy

tl77

Having been to WDW many times over the past 40 years I've only done the Christmas Party once, I thought it was worth being a fan, just to experience the Magic Kingdom park in a new way, I did feel it was a little bit "extra special" to be a part of that at Christmas time. But if you're not a huge fan, or have never been before, I don't know if it's all that different from an normal night at MK during the Holiday season, because you can still see all the decorations and Cinderella Castle lit up on a typical night in Nov/Dec. Booking a trip during that time of year and trying to avoid the Christmas party is tricky though, because the do it 3 to 4 nights a week in Nov/Dec

Maelstrom Troll

We go to WDW about every other year, the week after Thanksgiving. We went the party our first two visits but it got a little stale after that. When we did go, we would skip a park pass during the day and then arrive around 345 and wait in line to get in. Between 4-6 or so the park gets jammed so a dinner res is def a good idea.
The party itself I'd rank as a 6.5 or so. The parade is good and it has a bunch of different cool effects. It doesnt compare to the MNSSHP parade though. The cookies and cocoa are ok but nothing to write home about. The first Christmas party we went to was empty and we had a good time. The second was crammed and I spent most of my evening making sure we had parade seats for my family. Right after the parade it began dumping rain which made it a rather chilly and wet end to the day. Not that Disney could control that but it was not a great end cap to a frustrating evening.

PHS79

We have never been to MVMCP, but we have decided to give it a try. Our flight gets into Orlando around 1:30 on Thursday Dec 7, by the time the Magical Express gets us to Pop and are ready to go to the park it will probably be 3:30 or 4, so we figured it wasn't really worth it to buy park tickets for our first day being the limited time we would have in any of the parks. But then I saw the MVMCP, if we are able to get in around 4 it should work out good for us timing wise and its "cheaper" than a full day park ticket.

Our trip to WDW is only from Dec 7 thru 11 and we have 3 day park hoppers. For us MVMCP made the most sense to make the most of our short time at WDW before we go on our cruise from Dec 11 thru 15.

We have friends that are going to be at WDW from Dec 1 thru 9 and 7 day park hoppers, they are not doing the MVMCP because of the amount of time they are there. They couldn't justify spending extra money on the extra tickets after they will spend almost all day in one of the parks.

Amidala

I used to work glow carts and have worked several MNSSHP and MVMCP nights. Obviously the upcharge is ridiculous, and we could argue back and forth over whether or not it's "worth it" at the financial level. But I will say that the atmosphere at these parties is very different from what you'll usually encounter at WDW, and that alone can sometimes be enough to justify at least one visit to each party. There's definitely something to be said for walking through Liberty Square and riding the Haunted Mansion during a Halloween party.

As other people have said, if you ever have the chance to visit WDW in the fall, MNSSHP is much better than MVMCP, and arguably more worth your $$$. Boo to You and Hallowishes are both phenomenal (this isn't an exaggeration IMO) and the Hocus Pocus castle show is a blast. Even when the MSEP was still running at MK, you would get a higher quality fireworks show and parade out of a MNSSHP night than a regular night at MK. As for MVMCP...the Christmas parade is equally good, but IMHO Holiday Wishes is only so-so. My reasoning here is that there's no Disney music featured in Holiday Wishes, which makes it feel like the kind of holiday fireworks I could watch anywhere–whereas Hallowishes does an incredible job of nailing the Halloween theme while still incorporating IPs like Nightmare Before Christmas (and it's narrated by the ghost host from HM, which can't be beat). And while candy obviously isn't worth $89, I will say that trick-or-treating through MK feels more thematically appropriate than getting hot cocoa and cookies from random checkpoints (which is what you're expected to do on MVMCP).

There are also roaming characters at both parties that you won't find normally, if that's your thing.

TLDR: I would say MNSSHP is worth it for at least one visit, but YMMV on MVMCP...It really comes down to what your family looks for in a park visit. Are you all about attractions? Or do you enjoy fireworks, stage shows, character meet-and-greets and other offerings? If it's the former, neither of the parties will impress you. And if it's the latter, they might be worth checking out.

I also agree w/ people who have said Universal might not be the best solution, especially given the ages of the kids. Universal doesn't do much for Christmas, and IoA in particular might be a bit intense for them. If it's a Christmas vibe you're looking for, Epcot has a Food and Wine-esque Christmas festival and choir show, and DHS will supposedly be offering a few new Christmas "surprises" along with JBJB. Maybe just hit up a Disney park (or even a resort) for that night?

thomas998

So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending $89 a person for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas...

It looks like it's from 7pm until 12am... it consists of a unique fireworks performance... and... what else? lol Reduced crowds? Christmas at every ride or just main street? I've never been and would love to learn more so I know what to expect and to convince some family to jump on board and pony up the $89 to do it.

It also looks like the good restaurants are already booked up for when we want to go :-( I guess I can keep checking and see if something opens up? or don't waste my time?
Nope... not worth it to our family. We've done it before and it is really the worst of the extra ticket parties that Disney has ever offered. If you can do the Halloween party that is the one to do, but Christmas was a let down. Aside from some meet and greets with characters in Christmas costumes you'll get some cheap cookies and bad cocoa, and some lame soap bubble sprayed on you during the parade on mainstreet that is supposed to be snow.

Bpmorley

Just my opinion, but you should try it once. We've done it a few times, but not everytime. If you cant get a reservation in the park, try for something in any of the monorail resorts or Wilderness Lodge before 4. You won't go hungry in the park with all the access to cookies.

Spike-in-Berlin

We are in WDW when the MVMC parties start (IF we go in fall, still not decided yet)) and that's why we originally considered to visit it. But when we found out, that ticket prices for all these special events increased by more than 30% in only 5 years we decided to skip it. We payed for the MNSSHP in 2012 something around 65 $ per person. and the cheapest tickets are now at 84$. average price is 90$. A parade, fireworks and some cookies are not worth nearly 200 $ IMHO (not to mention that we are convinced Frozen haters so we couldn't care less about the stage show).

BigMac74

My family and I went a couple of years ago. It was fun, but we all decided it was not worth the extra $. HOWEVER, my wife and I are glad we did it once. That being said, the whole WDW experience during Christmas is very magical. We especially liked the Osborne Light Show at Hollywood Studios, but that has been discontinued for the Star Wars construction. (we danced under the lights to the music, fake snow and all, can't get more magical than that). It was cold that night, felt like Christmas.

My suggestion...instead of the "party" would suggest you send the time going around to all of the hotels to see the Christmas decorations. Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht Club, Beach Club (we couldn't get to them all). If you are in a car, all can be reached without a ticket or parking fees, and the various decorations are grand. And they all had special events going on. The Grand Floridian had an actual gingerbread house with all the sights and smells (roasting chestnuts outside the GF). The Beach Club had a life size carousel made of chocolate. That was more fun than the "Party" for us. But to each his own. They all have some great restaurants which can be much easier to get into and at some places you can see the fireworks and the water parade. If you are staying on site, the buses can get you to all of them fairly easily (take a boat to the Polynesian).

wedgeclose

So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending $89 a person for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas...

It looks like it's from 7pm until 12am... it consists of a unique fireworks performance... and... what else? lol Reduced crowds? Christmas at every ride or just main street? I've never been and would love to learn more so I know what to expect and to convince some family to jump on board and pony up the $89 to do it.

It also looks like the good restaurants are already booked up for when we want to go :-( I guess I can keep checking and see if something opens up? or don't waste my time?
I thought the very merry christmas party was GREAT...but it depends on the ages of your kids. Under 10 it would be great but for those who don't believe....kind of a waste of money. what time of year are you talking about. we went the week after thanksgiving and it was not crowded at all.

wedgeclose

ok here's my take...went the week after thanksgiving with kids that were 9 and 4 it was GREAT not crowded at all and the magic of "snow" on main st. was unforgettable. True it is an extra charge but I thought it was definitely worth it. Now kids are older (much) and if they wanted to go they can pay themselves. It was a once in a lifetime ocasion and i feel it was worth it. My kids went to a star wars event this past spring and felt it was definitely worth it to them.

I am Timmy

Kinda thinking that was the point of making the thread...
Research AWAY from this thread too, as many of the comments are peppered with personal opinion and not based solely on facts. Some people are jaded against it, and others are wild for it - that tends to sway the information they offer. When I'm trying to decide whether to do something new or not, I take all information into account. But facts of what is offered is the most important as only I know what my family will like or not like. I like to post helpful information.

Chef Mickey

Research AWAY from this thread too, as many of the comments are peppered with personal opinion and not based solely on facts. Some people are jaded against it, and others are wild for it - that tends to sway the information they offer. When I'm trying to decide whether to do something new or not, I take all information into account. But facts of what is offered is the most important as only I know what my family will like or not like. I like to post helpful information.
The thread asked if the Christmas Party is "worth" it. It didn't ask, "What do you get with Christmas Party?"

If you want facts, go to www.disneyworld.com and read about it there.

Sometimes, people want personal opinions. I'm so sick of people criticizing discussion on a discussion forum. Yes, topics have been discussed before, people are biased, and we go around in circles....but isn't that why we are all here?

I am Timmy

The thread asked if the Christmas Party is "worth" it. It didn't ask, "What do you get with Christmas Party?"

If you want facts, go to www.disneyworld.com and read about it there.

Sometimes, people want personal opinions. I'm so sick of people criticizing discussion on a discussion forum. Yes, topics have been discussed before, people are biased, and we go around in circles....but isn't that why we are all here?
Thank you for being so positive! You and RogueHabit sure have opened my eyes to what the this thread is all about! Such heartwarming, helpful comments for the OP you're leaving. There was no criticizing in my post, I only wanted to help them look at all the angles from someone who goes to the MVMCP every time I'm there for the holidays. Facts and opinions both are so very useful - combining them gives a whole picture. Now can we just get back to Christmas the way it should be?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom