Tiki Room Fire...or was it? And another theory?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Ok, so I have a far out there theory about the possibilities of why the Tiki Room caught fire. (I apologize in advance because I am probably going to catch a lot of flack for this).

After Gilbert Godfried got fired because of some things he said, a fire occurred in the Tiki Room...

Maybe perhaps it was the company's way of a bitter-sweet removal of Iago because of the voice actor's actions?

That leads me to this new theory:

Mr. Depp, I mean Captain Jack Sparrow has recently stated some quite disturbing things in an entertainment facility (here is the link if you want to read http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/22/entertainment/johnny-depp-trump-comment-glastonbury/index.html).

My question is do you believe if Mr. Depp is "let go" from Disney, would Disney in turn return the Pirates of the Caribbean ride back to its former glory with no Captain Sparrow?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Grant it, Jack Sparrow is a notable character of the franchise that brings in a lot of dough and young guests to the Disney theme park ride. But even so, his character wasn't put in the ride until the 2000s. The PoC was around since Walt Disney himself, like the Tiki Room. I know Iago wasn't a big ticket character but I wonder if it is at all likely that if Mr. Depp is loose in his words to the public even more so, would Disney end up removing his likeable character from the ride and franchise?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow will never be removed from Pirates, especially not for a cheeky comment at a music festival. The notion of the ride being somehow "more glorious" without its most popular character is pretty goofy.
Well, I didn't say "more glorious". I said former glory, in the original nostalgic sense.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Jack Sparrow's been part of the attraction for over a decade, and is the star of the show. I think folks need to get over it by now, honestly. The Pirates movies are still super popular, and they aren't removing Jack.
Would that hold firm even if Depp did something absolutely outrageous and committed a horrible act? Would Disney then take extra measures into detaching Depp from his character he plays just so they could keep Sparrow as the main focal point of the ride?

wdwfan4ver

Ok, so I have a far out there theory about the possibilities of why the Tiki Room caught fire. (I apologize in advance because I am probably going to catch a lot of flack for this).

After Gilbert Godfried got fired because of some things he said, a fire occurred in the Tiki Room...
You got your time line off. Tiki Room fire started January 12th, 2011 and Gilbert Gottfried got fired from aflec on March 12th. It was was reported that Iago was damage beyond repair and the Zazu AA was damage pretty bad also. Here is a link to that: http://thedisneyblog.com/2011/01/16/update-on-tiki-room-fire/

Gilbert Gottfired comments were reported by several sources in March of 2011 including http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gilbert-gottfried-under-fire-tweeting-167318

The flaw with your theory is Disney closed the Tiki Room for 2 months already by the time Gilbert was fired, and I'm sure it wouldn't take that long just to get another Iago AA and a Zazu AA.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
You got your time line off. Tiki Room fire started January 12th, 2011 and Gilbert Gottfried got fired from aflec on March 12th. It was was reported that Iago was damage beyond repair and the Zazu AA was damage pretty bad also. Here is a link to that: http://thedisneyblog.com/2011/01/16/update-on-tiki-room-fire/

Gilbert Gottfired comments were reported by several sources in March of 2011 including http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gilbert-gottfried-under-fire-tweeting-167318

The flaw with your theory is Disney closed the Tiki Room for 2 months already by the time Gilbert was fired, and I'm sure it wouldn't take that long just to get another Iago AA and a Zazu AA.
Ah, my bad on the timeline. Maybe the angry Tiki gods knew what was going to happen and decided to take care of things before hand, jk lol

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow will never be removed from Pirates, especially not for a cheeky comment at a music festival. The notion of the ride being somehow "more glorious" without its most popular character is pretty goofy.
The attraction and the Sparrow character are two different enteties.

Only corporate synergy brought them together in the parks.

Otterhead

Wait, you're saying that Jack Sparrow isn't the main character in PotC? You know, the character that we hear about throughout the ride, that everyone's looking for, who pops up again and again and we see with all of the treasure at the finale?

I get that people are nostalgic for the old ride, and aren't fond of the Depp AA, but if you're saying Jack isn't the main character of the ride, you're simply wrong.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Your question pre-supposes your original conspiracy theory is correct. As I don't believe the original theory, I reject the premise of the question.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Maybe perhaps it was the company's way of a bitter-sweet removal of Iago because of the voice actor's actions?

That leads me to this new theory:

Mr. Depp, I mean Captain Jack Sparrow has recently stated some quite disturbing things in an entertainment facility (here is the link if you want to read http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/22/entertainment/johnny-depp-trump-comment-glastonbury/index.html).

My question is do you believe if Mr. Depp is "let go" from Disney, would Disney in turn return the Pirates of the Caribbean ride back to its former glory with no Captain Sparrow?
Actually, if your theory is correct, there will be a fire in the show building, injuring nobody but forcing a several-month closure during which they'll install a reset starring Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and the nephews in "Mickey's Pirate Adventure."

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Actually, if your theory is correct, there will be a fire in the show building, injuring nobody but forcing a several-month closure during which they'll install a reset starring Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and the nephews in "Mickey's Pirate Adventure."
Scary but I could picture that :cautious: Goofy as one of the singing pirates

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom