Tiki Room Fire...or was it? And another theory?

thomas998

Would that hold firm even if Depp did something absolutely outrageous and committed a horrible act? Would Disney then take extra measures into detaching Depp from his character he plays just so they could keep Sparrow as the main focal point of the ride?
Yes... it is likely that if Depp did something truly horrible they would erase him from the ride... but I'm guessing that would have to be along the lines of molesting kids or murdering nuns; being drunk, saying outrageous things aren't going to be enough. Frankly I still expect them to pull him back in for another Pirates movie. I know some trailers said it was the final movie but "final" is a different meaning when the movies continue to gross hundreds of millions world wide.

BlindChow

Would that hold firm even if Depp did something absolutely outrageous and committed a horrible act? Would Disney then take extra measures into detaching Depp from his character he plays just so they could keep Sparrow as the main focal point of the ride?
Reminds me of when they made the changes to the "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Starring O.J. Simpson" ride back in the mid 90's.

DisneyNittany

Yes... it is likely that if Depp did something truly horrible they would erase him from the ride... but I'm guessing that would have to be along the lines of molesting kids or murdering nuns; being drunk, saying outrageous things aren't going to be enough. Frankly I still expect them to pull him back in for another Pirates movie. I know some trailers said it was the final movie but "final" is a different meaning when the movies continue to gross hundreds of millions world wide.

If they're going to continue to make PotC movies, I think they should go the prequel route. Let's see a full movie of Captain Jack, before Curse of the Black Pearl. Maybe, with the flashbacks in Dead Men Tell No Tales, that's what they were setting us up for?

I'm about as big of a PotC fan as their is, but I think they need to divorce themselves from the Depp/current Jack character. Depp's acting, and portrayal of Jack, were the worst parts of DMTNT. He's been garbage the last two PotC movies. He was the perfect amount of eccentric and "pirate" in the original trilogy. Now, because he's usually drunk as on set, the character is portrayed as just a down-on-his-luck drunk.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
If they're going to continue to make PotC movies, I think they should go the prequel route. Let's see a full movie of Captain Jack, before Curse of the Black Pearl. Maybe, with the flashbacks in Dead Men Tell No Tales, that's what they were setting us up for?

I'm about as big of a PotC fan as their is, but I think they need to divorce themselves from the Depp/current Jack character. Depp's acting, and portrayal of Jack, were the worst parts of DMTNT. He's been garbage the last two PotC movies. He was the perfect amount of eccentric and "pirate" in the original trilogy. Now, because he's usually drunk as **** on set, the character is portrayed as just a down-on-his-luck drunk.
Was he genuinely drunk on set?

ninjaprincesst

I always just thought the tiki room fire was God trying to help us out and save us from the horror that is the Tikki Room (too bad they re built), as for Johnny Depp I think he would actually have to follow through with his drunken threat, Jack Sparrow is not going anywhere any time soon.

Chef Mickey

Depp actually might be setting himself to be pulled from the ride and Disney might (or already have) start distancing themselves.

He seems to be a little nuts. He was a great Jack Sparrow, but he's an odd guy while becoming somewhat controversial.

Sparrow taking over the ride was always forced and way too big of a part of an attraction that existed decades before the movies. It can easily go back to its former glory and improve because of it.

Sonic Sunglasses

Celebrities through the years have made terribly controversial and even incredibly stupid public statements and still managed to garner public adoration and, more importantly, gainful employment. Johnny Depp isn't the first and he won't be the last. Besides, he's always been an oddball. Gleefully so.

I'm calling this a tempest in a teapot. I won't be surprised if he hits bottom. The test of character is if he bounces back.

gsimpson

Sadly I'm inclined to agree that Depp is with us for the long haul on the ride. I thought it was better without him. He may be a great actor, and you could argue that POC was one of his best roles, but he is a fairly awful person. When you listen to him in interviews that have any depth at all it tends to make me stop going to POC movies anymore.

JIMINYCR

Naah, Depp has been involved with other scandals and although Disney has had some negative press because of their link to him....they will not banish him or his AA anytime soon. Pirates are bad boys after all and what he says or does doesnt stop the money from rolling in. Now if he did something really heinous ( ex. child related ) Disney would have no choice but cut their connection to him.

The Empress Lilly

The last time Depp was in the news negatively (taking swipes at people more regularly than the Yeti), Iger went public saying we, Disney, "have got Jack Sparrow, not Johnny Depp".

So Jack's not getting the sack.

Mickey5150

Considering Disney brought back Captain EO after Michael Jackson's death, I'm guessing they aren't too worried about the horrible acts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom