Thoughts on Carousel of Progress

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It is a shame the second floor was lost in Florida.
Without a doubt. Though, if it were two levels, I'd love to have been able to see the full Progress City model like it was at the World's Fair (at least iirc, it was set up like that at the World's Fair...if I remember incorrectly, apologies in advance).

lazyboy97o

Without a doubt. Though, if it were two levels, I'd love to have been able to see the full Progress City model like it was at the World's Fair (at least iirc, it was set up like that at the World's Fair...if I remember incorrectly, apologies in advance).
The model was built for Disneyland. Here are two great posts from Imagineering Disney on the Progress City model and the Carousel of Progress.
A Look at the Progress City Model - Imagineering Disney
Tomorrowland '76 [Part 3] - Imagineering Disney

englanddg

One Little Spark...

rct247

I've always felt that Disney fans were defined by which of the following classic shows they enjoyed. You either were a COP, Tiki Room, Country Bears, or Hall of Presidents fan. I'm obviously a COP fan more than the rest.

Many of you want new carpet and seats, but to be honest, the refurbishments over the past few years (usually a week long or so) have actually done just that. Most of the theaters do have new carpet and seats. That all has been taken care of with refurbishments, but the updating of scenes has not. When COP was born, the audiences had lived throughthe 1900s, 1920s, and 1940s. I think that is where it has lost some of its audience today. Everyone likes a trip down memory lane, but if it doesn't apply to you, then you lose interest. Most people on these forums have more of a connection with dial up internet and using a microwave than we do with using an outhouse and visiting a drug store for a soft drink.

The attraction needs to stay in some form whether in it's current form or in a museum, but I'd love to see the sets shipped to the Smithsonian to be on display, while we receive the next version featuring 1950/60s to the near future focusing on how computer technology has changed our lives (vs. electricity). It would do the concept justice, resignate with audiences better, and bring it more up to date.

Goofyernmost

I've always felt that Disney fans were defined by which of the following classic shows they enjoyed. You either were a COP, Tiki Room, Country Bears, or Hall of Presidents fan. I'm obviously a COP fan more than the rest.

Many of you want new carpet and seats, but to be honest, the refurbishments over the past few years (usually a week long or so) have actually done just that. Most of the theaters do have new carpet and seats. That all has been taken care of with refurbishments, but the updating of scenes has not. When COP was born, the audiences had lived throughthe 1900s, 1920s, and 1940s. I think that is where it has lost some of its audience today. Everyone likes a trip down memory lane, but if it doesn't apply to you, then you lose interest. Most people on these forums have more of a connection with dial up internet and using a microwave than we do with using an outhouse and visiting a drug store for a soft drink.

The attraction needs to stay in some form whether in it's current form or in a museum, but I'd love to see the sets shipped to the Smithsonian to be on display, while we receive the next version featuring 1950/60s to the near future focusing on how computer technology has changed our lives (vs. electricity). It would do the concept justice, resignate with audiences better, and bring it more up to date.
Even if everyone thought that was a good idea, it would never happen. I would just like to see them "fix it up" with better AA's but just leave it as history. Any drastic change will take away one of the most endearing qualities of CoP and that is that it was conceived and lovingly created by Walt Disney. There are fewer and fewer of those things around and in the interest of people knowing where they came from to where we are now. How can that not be interesting to people that have any depth at all.

Now they could create an attraction that does just what you are proposing. That would require many "screens" because that is where we are technology wise. AA's are older then the hills now!

lazyboy97o

Even if everyone thought that was a good idea, it would never happen. I would just like to see them "fix it up" with better AA's but just leave it as history. Any drastic change will take away one of the most endearing qualities of CoP and that is that it was conceived and lovingly created by Walt Disney. There are fewer and fewer of those things around and in the interest of people knowing where they came from to where we are now. How can that not be interesting to people that have any depth at all.

Now they could create an attraction that does just what you are proposing. That would require many "screens" because that is where we are technology wise. AA's are older then the hills now!
The scenes are already a good bit different in content from what Walt knew.

George Lucas on a Bench

I love it because it shows the gradual reversal of the sex roles in the household as appliances are invented that perform the expected duties of women and by the end, the Father has to prepare the Christmas dinner while Mother toils away on a laptop, and he completely screws it up. I kid! But really, it is one of the few attractions left at Walt Disney World that doesn't feel tainted and commercialized. Sure, it may be a little dusty, but at least it isn't replaced by a cartoon.

Goofyernmost

The scenes are already a good bit different in content from what Walt knew.
Well, some of the dialog is different to ease the mind of the politically correct and the last scene has changed but the basic premise is still in place. Dropping the beginning leaves a huge gap in history and the intent of the show.

tl77

I think it's a great ride that's out of place in the current Tomorrowland. It fit in with the original reality based version of TL, but today I think they should probably move it to were the Noodle Station is and theme the exterior to 1900's Main Street, because the content of the ride has a lot more in common with Main Street than Buzz Lightyear, and it would make a much better transition from Main Street to Tomorrowland, or at the very least make their new bypass worthwhile.

Back in the early days of Disneyland there were plans for Edison Square and Liberty Street in the location where WDW's Main Street bypass is currently being built. This is what made me think of moving COP, I think it needs to have its own special little area the same way The Hall of Presidents has Liberty Square. Hall of Presidents and the Philharmagic theater are both under the same roof sitting back to back, but if you switched each show so than Philharmagic was in Liberty Square and Hall of Presidents was in the middle of Fantasyland they would seem out of place too. I think if there's any problem with Carousel of Progress it's the location

mainstreet1960.jpg

lazyboy97o

I think it's a great ride that's out of place in the current Tomorrowland. It fit in with the original reality based version of TL, but today I think they should probably move it to were the Noodle Station is and theme the exterior to 1900's Main Street, because the content of the ride has a lot more in common with Main Street than Buzz Lightyear, and it would make a much better transition from Main Street to Tomorrowland, or at the very least make their new bypass worthwhile.

Back in the early days of Disneyland there were plans for Edison Square and Liberty Street in the location where WDW's Main Street bypass is currently being built. This is what made me think of moving COP, I think it needs to have its own special little area the same way The Hall of Presidents has Liberty Square. Hall of Presidents and the Philharmagic theater are both under the same roof sitting back to back, but if you switched each show so than Philharmagic was in Liberty Square and Hall of Presidents was in the middle of Fantasyland they would seem out of place too. I think if there's any problem with Carousel of Progress it's the location

mainstreet1960.jpg
Funny you should think of Edison Square. Edison Square was going to house a walkthrough series of dioramas that showed how life changed and progressed over the decades. It effectively became the Carousel of Progress.

Goofyernmost

It's a good idea, but, we all know that will never happen. If anything happens to CoP it will be to completely level it. With that in mind, I'm not about to complain or be concerned about it's location. Location means nothing when dealing with popularity. It is no longer popular because today's sophisticated (so they think) audience thinks it's corny, lame and "dated".

Also, Disney may not be kidding when they say that they have shortened rides and attractions because people complained about them taking to long. It is painfully evident that the public is no longer willing to sit for a few minutes and watch a show like CoP. They are in a hurry to get to the next one, because after all, the purpose and challenge of WDW is to get to as many rides as possible. That is the goal.

Last edited:

Dgeek

I have a question. Does anyone know why the cop was moved from Disneyland to WDW? It couldn't have been at Disneyland 10 years before it was moved. I was just wondering.

lazyboy97o

I have a question. Does anyone know why the cop was moved from Disneyland to WDW? It couldn't have been at Disneyland 10 years before it was moved. I was just wondering.
The attraction and the Progress City model are both linked to EPCOT.

pumpkin7

The model was built for Disneyland. Here are two great posts from Imagineering Disney on the Progress City model and the Carousel of Progress.
A Look at the Progress City Model - Imagineering Disney
Tomorrowland '76 [Part 3] - Imagineering Disney

Thanks for posting those. They're both very interesting reads.
I had no idea that the current model is so much smaller than it used to be, and how much has been lost from it.

Also, according to that post, the CoP used to rotate clockwise? It goes anti clockwise now doesn't it? Why would they change it? (I haven't read the whole thing yet, just posting some thoughts so sorry if this answers these questions).

Also, is the second floor still in the CoP as it is now or did that not make the move from DLR to WDW?

Why did they change Dads seating position in scene 3? He looks so much more realistic perched on a stool like that!

rct247

General Electric essentially saw that the California market had "been there, done that" with the Carousel of Progress. With Walt Disney World having just opened and a new audience, they wanted to spread their message to a new market in Florida, one which would grow into a more global market. Tomorrowland also needed new attractions. Besides, many of the East Coast visitors had fond memories of it from the New York World's Fair as well.

ArtificialArtist

I love Carousel of Progress. I do wish it had it's own pavilion in Epcot though. That would be ideal.
I also said this a while ago, it's not a bad suggestion at all. Moving CoP would have a lot of benefits.
Space in the MK for a new E-Ticket or D-Ticket attraction, the first attraction for Epcot in 20 years to actually fit the topic, and it could be implemented into a bigger pavilion to house a new Horizons ride neighboring CoP.

I think this idea beats Frozen by a Freight-ship-length :rolleyes:

WDW_Sam

I always visit CoP when I happen to be walking through that area. There is never a queue, and it's a nice opportunity to escape the Florida heat and humidity in the summer months. Plus, it's just awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom