Trip Report There's Something About Mary...and it's called DRAMA!

I think it's time to get this thing started...hoping it will help my mood and sanity levels. For those that missed the PTR (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/lawdy-lawdy-look-whos-turning-40-ptr.867181/) - the early pages should help you catch up on the bulk of the big details, and for those that missed our problems from day 1 of our trip (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-not-to-start-your-wdw-vacay.873853/ )...well, it kind of speaks for itself.:( I am going to try and keep this as upbeat as possible, but we have a very long road ahead to fix things...so, please bear with me as I vent in between some of the magic. :)

September 18th

I left work early on the 18th so I could pick up the girls at school and have them with us when we took our dog to get boarded. This is our Daisy Doggy...
074.JPG

What's really funny, the pic above was taken with Sammie's Fisher Price plastic kiddie camera!

After getting the dog situated at boarding, we went home, had some dinner, and the heavy duty packing started. I'd actually started packing my things on the 17th, but now it was time to really focus on the girls. I let them sleep in the guest bedroom that night so I could pack all of their stuff without keeping them up...i.e. so I could pack all of the surprise outfits without spoiling anything.;) It was A TON of packing, but I finished up around 1am. I had thought about setting up the outfits and bags in the guest room for the reveal, but Sammie got up to use the bathroom right around that time- soooooo, I decided to wait until just before the big reveal.

September 19

I guess I got close to 4.5 hours of sleep (good for the night before a travel day)...and at 6am, it was finally time to set up and reveal the big secret. I got everything set up and then DH came in to help me. The video I took is pretty awful and sleepy girls don't make for really good surprises, but this is the vid I took and I swear...they were REALLY happy.

You can all now probably appreciate what it's like getting these two up for school each morning. :facepalm:

Actually, the girls were super quick to get dressed once it really sunk in what was going on. They were even good with posing for pictures before hitting the road...
9924749463_db7fbda884.jpg

We loaded up my SUV and hit the road...sadly, we wouldn't get far. The accident took place about 2.5 miles from our house. I really don't want to rehash all of the scary details, but when we realized we'd all be able to walk away from this horror - we had to decide if we'd continue with this WDW trip. While the girls' initial screams and cries were from the accident itself, they morphed into cries that they wouldn't get to see their grandma and grandpa. We usually try and visit every 3 months, but we pushed it a bit longer b/c of this trip. It was for this reason DH and I decided to push forward with the trip even if the odds weren't in our favor. I guess I just figured getting everyone to "the most magical place on earth" could be therapeutic. Don't get me wrong...I love that the EMTs and lead sheriff on the scene were super lovey with the girls :inlove: - they really needed something super positive...so, Disney it was!

So, after I took care of the most important initial phone calls, I got Southwest on the line (at the scene of the wreck) and started working with them to rebook the outbound flight. We were yelling over ambulance sirens and traffic, but after about 20 min, we were rebooked from our 9:15am departure to a 3:55pm departure. They also said DH could ask for a blue card for pre-board (we were now in group C after paying to be in group A on the original flight)...while it's gotten better, he had some leg pain that day and was limping from the aches. The timing also worked well since it gave me time to go to the collision center, talk to the various insurance companies, etc. My wonderful MIL was also kind enough to pick up DH and the girls from the scene. This enabled him to get his car and she was able to love on the girls for a while until we were ready to regroup and get travel plans rolling again.

While our flight out of Houston was delayed close to 3 hours due to weather and mechanical issues (not helping Kendall, who was now terrified that the plane would crash), but we got off the ground a little after 6pm and we were on our way...

9924756273_281dbbc4e9.jpg

Sammie sat with DH on the way to FL-- with Pooh, of course...
9924657494_bc33e6d210.jpg

I had Kendall...
9924579545_9f192d5e78.jpg

...and we spent the entire flight doing this big word search on her tablet.

9924651404_e1738fda8b.jpg

We flew into terminal A and DME is in terminal B. It was after the girls' bed time, so we opted to just get our baggage. Soooooo, we went down to terminal A baggage and then lugged it over to DME in terminal B. Thankfully, Kendall has overcome her fear of escalators, so minus losing her shoe for a while on one of them :rolleyes: we were in good shape.

I think the CMs manning the DME entrance could read all of the stress and worry on my face, because they promised me pixie dust and magic from that point on. :D We had our Magic Bands on at this point, but I had my vouchers out so in the interest of time and sanity, they just used those. They directed us to the line for AKL and while we were let on the bus right away...we were so late that the bus was accommodating a number of resorts from various lines. Still...Kendall and I wound up with this prime spot!

9924661334_a5f37400c7.jpg

I swear, I got choked up when I looked up and saw the screen...like that "we're really on our way" moment.

9924619886_389c274cb7.jpg

It took a while for them to load up the bus since they were waiting on people to come in from all of these late or delayed flights, but it wasn't long before we were off. :happy:

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm a little burnt out from Halloween tonight to do a TR post. Actually, I'm pretty ticked off. We have a decent amount of decorations throughout the yard and I feel like we give out a nice mix of a candy...not all chocolate, but I give each kid around 5 pieces and usually at least 1 is good chocolate. Still, the cardinal rule is to not "abuse" the good houses. In any event...I decided to put my LED ice cube from my drink at 1900 PF into a traditional orange jack-o-lantern candy bucket and hung it from a large shrub near our front door. It looked very cool, but at some point I noticed it was dark. I thought the cube burned out, but no. Some little dirt bag stole it. :mad:

In better news...the insurance payout was pushed through today...now just to wait for it to hit my bank account.

And on a positive Halloween note...I figured I'd share a pic of the girls from tonight. Hey, they at least got double duty out of their MNSSHP costumes. It was a close call with Sammie...she thought about switching to Rapunzel (and I seriously entertained the idea of fiber optic hair at the last minute)...mainly because she didn't like people confusing her for a boy :( Then she remembered how scratchy all of the princess dresses can be (not like Kendall cares)...so Spiderman it was. I actually have about 45 pics, but this site really doesn't like it when I try to upload multiple pics that aren't on Flickr. :(

007.JPG

Happy Halloween!!!

Tomorrow- I can think about turkey hoarding :D, start watching the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and hopefully give you another TR installment. Now off to steal some of the candy Kendall can't eat anyway. :hungry:

disneygirl1

NO I don't want your trip report to be over! It's was fun following along with you! What a great way to spend you last day in Disney! Sorry that you are still having issue from the accident. Thoughts and prayers that all ends well and soon for you!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It's so sad when our trips have to end. :cry: Although it's not very nice to say, I hope that dirtbag chokes on your glow cube.

Hey...I'm going to drag out this last day as much as possible :) Sadly- that probably will only be through this weekend, but it's something! Yeah- I'm pretty ticked about the cube, but it could be worse. The cube was cool and I will likely replace it, but I think I'd have to hunt the kid down if anyone messed with our big 6' kitty.

NO I don't want your trip report to be over! It's was fun following along with you! What a great way to spend you last day in Disney! Sorry that you are still having issue from the accident. Thoughts and prayers that all ends well and soon for you!

Well, it's not quite over yet. I still have a bit more...although probably will finish up this weekend.

This accident stuff is just ridiculous, but we made one big and very positive step today :) More on that later.

Can you plan another trip and write another trip report? I'm going to feel lonely without your posts. :)

Well, hopefully I can keep DH in a positive place about F&W next year so I can get a PTR going at some point :)

I'm cracking up at you doing the "goodbye" tour of all the parks - :D True Disney love!

And the good-bye tour still has a few little installments left- well, as far as the TR goes :) It is funny how therapeutic it turned out to be.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Alrighty...before I start up with TR...I wanted to share some news on the drama...

And it's GOOD news!!!! :)

The insurance payments got pushed through on Thursday, the $ hit my bank account today for my portion, and while it was quite the marathon evening...I am FINALLY in a new(ish) vehicle. A number of posts ago...I debated about replacement vehicles. At some point, I made the decision that I just wanted what I had...but with a proviso of sorts. The new vehicle had to be "the same, but different." I don't know if I ever said what we were driving on the day of the accident, but it was a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. The 2012 was the last year it was up on a truck frame (which was a big factor for buying it in the first place) and that played a big factor in us walking away from this... so the goal was to find one that was a different exterior color, different interior color, and different trim...for a decent price. I'll spare you a long drawn out comparison, but the old one was white- the new one is silver- and they are very much the same but different both inside and out. What's funny- rental #2 was a 2013 redesigned Pathy. It's certainly not a bad vehicle, but I'm so glad I got to "test drive" it for 2.5 weeks to make sure it wasn't what I wanted. I still have to finalize a few things with Nissan once they get the insurance check and of course, there's the medical...but this is pretty big. Crazy that it took 45 days!

OK, so back to Sept 23rd...

I guess we were just in a lounging mood, so we headed over to the seating over by Outer Rim, and I just took pics as the girls went stir crazy...

10388830995_267037f0de.jpg

10388846646_9425ff75d3.jpg

10388805334_a6b8d63b6b.jpg

10388810376_4d7c937a18.jpg

10388774415_85966e1ff4.jpg

I was really expecting the girls to be a little more nuts with us not really doing anything, but they were fairly content. Yes, this is Kendall in a contented state...

10388979013_a3a26c0053.jpg

So, more picture taking...

10388943683_9c394d4510.jpg

10388749244_6c6ee60387.jpg

And it was about the time I took the picture above that I realized that I was missing the perfect opportunity to really stop and appreciate some of the details of Mary Blair's mural. Ah yes, for the love of Mary's art!

10388736864_3ea9c31c71.jpg

10388722814_2d8e541126.jpg

Oh don't worry...there's more Mary...this was just the start. I just got a little distracted by this...

10388710104_ee2c255d60.jpg

Yes, the shopping bug hit. DH had been wandering around for a while, but now he was back- so I left him with the girls and I popped into the store. I still had those gift cards in my wallet, so I debated about Disney Dooney round 2. They had a sketch letter carrier which I thought about since I love the rainbow zipper teeth on those, but decided I didn't need two letter carrier bags. It's funny...they had a decent selection of sketch totes...which had been high on my list...but they did little for me in person. On the flipside, the sketch backpack was ADORABLE! Still, I restrained myself. I even put back the little fabric sketch phone case- mainly because I don't think it would fit my phone- but I'm really not one for little accessories. I still needed to buy Sammie's teacher a souvenir- promised her a key chain- but decided I'd work that out at home and save my $.

So, back to taking random pics...

10388726906_4b9a650e0b_z.jpg

10388694235_72274e5689.jpg

I know...lots of odd pics of the floors in the Contemporary. There was something semi-significant behind this though. Around this time, DH specifically said..."we need to stay in here next time." I mentioned the garden wing (which I'm perfectly fine with and happen to think is a great deal compared to other Disney deluxe resorts), but he said no- we needed to stay in the tower. I mentioned the cost of MK facing rooms...he did say he didn't think that was necessary...but he made it very clear that we should book a tower room with a Bay Lake view for our next visit. Great...so I really thought my only debate for our potential F&W trip was BW vs. BC. Now he tempts me with the Contemporary tower!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I don't know if anyone noticed, but I did a little happy dance about this as I wandered off for my next round of pictures. JOY!!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, I went back to mural pics...

10388677754_68c9232570.jpg

10388667655_0a1c836c87.jpg

10388676466_d52419ccd9.jpg

I did something a little odd here...and I feel really silly posting it...especially since I'm sure someone is going to say I wasn't supposed to do this. Oh well, I touched the mural. Obviously, it was just the parts around eye level, but I wanted to feel the texture of certain elements.

Back to the window to check out the weather...

10388661966_c66cd0af40.jpg

I also took a pic of the area where I room was located for our 2011 trip...

10388810263_296aebbf9a.jpg

Like I said...I really liked staying there.

I think the kids had started to hit that point where they were done just chilling at the Contemporary. It was still raining too hard to do anything outdoors, so we headed up to the monorail...and yes, I took some pics.

10388611655_c372cc938c.jpg

10388782643_df2629dddd_z.jpg

When we boarded the monorail, we were surrounded by tons of poncho clad families heading to the Poly and the GF. Again, it reminded me that it would be a great time to be in MK. Oh well...we stopped at the Poly...

10388590605_8f33c7870f.jpg

And I guess this was the last pic I took before stowing my big camera. The rain was coming down so hard, so I just wanted to keep it dry. And of course, the ponchos were packed and we'd have to make a run for it to get to the buses. Yeah- we were completely soaked by the time we got to the bus area and naturally everyone coming out of the park gave us those looks - like "who doesn't bring ponchos???" In all of this, the temps had also stayed very mild...so boarding an air conditioned bus while drenched was pretty shocking to the system. I don't know how much it really helped her- but Sammie used my damp denim button down shirt to try and stay warm. Kendall just kept her mind off of it by checking out the people on the bus...like the woman across from us who had a Le Sport Sac in the same style as my Small World one.

OK- it's late and we have a ton to do tomorrow before heading to gymnastics... So, that's it for tonight. Coming up- soaking in the last bits of time at AKL, DME, and friends in the airport.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, in our last post...we were soaking wet and freezing our butts off on a bus from MK to AKL. I remember DH thinking we were heading back to AKL too early, but I'm always so scared that we'll wind up regretting the decision to not leave a time cushion in our transportation plans. Oh well...we got back to AKL and still had about 30-40 min to burn before our DME window opened up. I recall thinking about the late checkout I'd gotten earlier and barely used. I remember the girl who handled our checkout being kind of confused by it all...but in the grand scheme of things...a noon check out isn't really much different than 11am- especially when you have such a late flight.

The bonus of having some extra time...I got to take the one pic I take every trip (at least once)...

9926547554_28518f4930_z.jpg

9926651303_a472f53d6b.jpg

(I believe this whole last portion was taken on my phone)

It just wouldn't be a trip to WDW with the girls without chilling out in the lobby for a bit to watch some fine Disney cartoons!

We saw a DME bus pull up...it was a tad early...but decided to head out to check things out. At least it was super easy to get our bags from bell services while out at the curb.

9926512596_c18be50aab.jpg

Turns out it wasn't our bus, so we just decided to hang out and people/car watch. It's tough not to stand in a WDW lobby/driveway area on your departure day and not think about all of those people arriving right in front of you that have their entire WDW vacation ahead of them. You know their time will come...the time when they're the ones standing there watching the new guests arrive and revel in the magic. Still...it's tough when you're in that position.

9926520996_f88dfc977d.jpg

9926496725_6fa2bdfbc7.jpg

9926583274_d7a424c15f.jpg

Sammie isn't really ready to go...she just enjoys playing with her new luggage.

9926583304_378d01d4ff.jpg

Speaking of bags and luggage...it was around this time that a family came out and their tween daughter had the DDB sketch backpack I'd been eyeing. I can't really balk at a kid that age having such a bag as my mom indulged me in some pretty nice bags back at that age...but it did make me wonder if it looked better on someone her age vs. someone my age. It probably really doesn't matter as most adults who love Disney but don't know about DDBs are floored when they see my bag. Even just today, a girl at the rental car place was wowed over Dooney making bags for Disney.

Anyone up for the shuttle to Kidani?

9926524675_93b0b21e04.jpg

They started calling people for the 4:05pm DME and we made our way down to where the bus would be arriving. We lucked out getting pretty close to the front of the line... a) b/c we were out there early b) next to nobody had their packet/vouchers ready.

9926548726_b95b942b01.jpg

DH and Sammie wanted to go farther back in the bus, but Kendall and I had a decent seat for the departure trip.

9926601374_0ae59a0251.jpg

9926545515_d988a0a8c5.jpg

The bus was all loaded up and it was time to leave AKL...

9926610574_b50d635f66.jpg

9926684434_9a94aa7910.jpg

Now for the saddest part of departure... As I said in a previous post, AKL is pretty close to a main gate...so it's a pretty short drive from the resort entrance to the world outside the bubble.

9926643676_104bf884ba.jpg

9926691144_a1830d146a.jpg

9926794473_b22e5a4cd9.jpg

And we're outside the bubble...and there were tears.

Funny how the ride to the airport always feels shorter than the ride to your resort upon arrival. I thought a lot about returning to the real world on this drive and what things would be like. I only had a couple of accident related calls that day, but I knew that was sure to ramp up. Before I knew it...we were pulling up to the airport for this final leg of our journey.

9926799173_8d8cea419b.jpg

Security felt insanely crowded...more so than anything I was used to seeing at our two big airports, but we eventually got through and it was off to our gate. Weather was delaying flights a bit, but it looked like it wasn't going to be a major impact for us. While we waited, the girls finished up some final homework and reading since the next day was a school day.

We also found some friends in the airport. Last spring, when I was chaperoning a field trip, I found that the mom of one of K's classmates was also a huge WDW fan. They were originally planning on going around Columbus Day, but I guess they chose to reschedule to the same weekend as us. So, it was fun to sit around in MCO with people we know and share memories from our respective trips.

We made a few other new friends in the airport as we all lined up. We were at least in group A on our return trip. It was an evening flight, so not a ton to see, but they at least kept us close enough to the gulf coast this time that we could see the lights from various points along that portion of the I-10 corridor. And as quickly as this all started, we were back on the ground in Houston...bags in hand...and on our way home.

And that's it folks :) I'll have some final thoughts on this vacay tomorrow.

Last edited:

mishel635

I'm so sad that your trip report is over!!!!
Glad you're finally in your new vehicle. Although I have to admit... I LOVE my minivan! :) I actually bought it a month before I was due to have my son. My parents always had one while I was in middle and high school and I seriously could not wait to have kids so I could justify getting a minivan!!!!!! :)
I hope you all continue to recover and put this nightmare behind you.
Hopefully I will be seeing your F&W pre-trip report in the future!!!! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm so sad that your trip report is over!!!!
Glad you're finally in your new vehicle. Although I have to admit... I LOVE my minivan! :) I actually bought it a month before I was due to have my son. My parents always had one while I was in middle and high school and I seriously could not wait to have kids so I could justify getting a minivan!!!!!! :)
I hope you all continue to recover and put this nightmare behind you.
Hopefully I will be seeing your F&W pre-trip report in the future!!!! :)

There were a number of people who tried to sway me towards a minivan. There definitely would have been a number of advantages to getting one, but a local friend said something that really stuck with me in this process. Vehicle shopping is never easy, and since it had only been about a year since I'd gone through that process and selected my Pathy- which I loved- it was still likely the best fit for me. So, after considering my 3 rentals and testing out some friends' vehicles, operation "the same, but different" made the most sense.

I really hope the rest of this process is far less of a headache. And hopefully, I will figure out enough things with our other trips to get plans going for a F&W trip :)

Mollie_Minnie

What a magical report! Loved it from start to finish with the saying goodbye to all 4 parks! I'm only 14 days away from my next WDW trip and reading reports while waiting for my own trip really helped the waiting! maybe one day I'll write my own report. Thanks for sharing your magical memories with us :).

Pooh'sBuddy

On an older thought progression we had pages ago, we were at our den leader's house for a den meeting yesterday, and I spied a Mickey Mouse lawn gnome. I couldn't let it go without cooing over it. He started out explaining his son's love of gnomes starting with the movie Gnomeo and Juliet and evolving into collecting them. He mentioned that they got that particular one last summer on their WDW trip part of their sea and land package. "Oooooooh," I responded, "how cool!" I told him we made it to the last Star Wars Weekend this summer, and the boys had a ball. He said he really enjoyed all the Christmas lights they've seen. I retorted that yes, Osborne Lights would be really neat to see, but all the crowds prevent us from going. He said they took their three kids out of school to beat the crowds, but our school let them know they weren't happy about the kids' going awol. I would have loved to ask all the details, but I refrained. Darn it! I should have pried. So, long story short, yes, our school gets bothered about missing for vacations, although I don't know to what extent.

jw24

Like realizing the end of a Disney trip coming so quickly, I feel the same about the TR. Anyway, it was a pleasure to read, see and hear all about the events that unfolded. Always loved learning new things about WDW and what better way to do it than reading a TR! :D

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Final Thoughts...

I've tried pre-writing this a good 6x, but it always winds up as this long winded jumble with a bunch of crazy tangents. Still, I'll do my best to give this some kind of decent conclusion.

DINING

Going w/o DDP- This is the first time we've been without a dining plan of some sort in a number of trips. I feel the psychological pain of the pricing more this way, but in the end, it's the better financial option. Our dining preferences just don't fit any of the dining plans offered, so this way we're at least eating exactly what we want, not feeling forced to eat more than we want or things we don't want, etc. TiW is also a non-option as I can't see us ever being AP holders.

Quick Service- We've never been big on this, so I don't have a ton of thoughts. I will say that The Mara is a great option as far as hotel spots go. BoG was also decent, but I don't think I'd consider it for lunch without a FP+.

Table Service- 'Ohana dinner, Crystal Palace breakfast, and Sanaa were the clear rock stars of this trip. We didn't have any truly bad meals this trip, but dining inconsistencies at WDW are starting to wear on me. It didn't really hit me until we were dining out for lunch the other day, but it always feels like a bit of a gamble when doing TS at WDW. Our 'Ohana and Chef Mickey's experiences this trip are perfect examples...Chef Mickey's was really great the last time we had breakfast there, but I wish we'd skipped it this trip. On the flipside, 'Ohana felt pretty overhyped from our 2011 experience, but this visit it lived up to all of its glowing reviews. I know inconsistency plagues restaurants outside WDW too, but said lunch the other day made me realize that we'd never had a bad meal at said local restaurant. I can't say that about Disney. i.e. I can't walk into any WDW restaurant with such confidence that it will be a great meal...even the signatures or top popular spots. I hate bringing up stuff like this- not just because of the negativity, but because some people will interpret it as either ignorance or self entitlement. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I think I'm just going to be more selective with dining in future trips. Not that we haven't been selective before, but we'll probably eliminate a handful of restaurants from our rotation.

Cake- I won't say never, but I think we'll be skipping cake at WDW for a while. As a cake person, the prices aren't bad if they get it right, but all it takes is one bad cake to make you want to pass for future trips.

LODGING

I'll admit it...I was really nervous about AKL. We stayed at WL back in 2010 and as much as I wanted to love it, I was disappointed. AKL has enough similarities to WL that I feared I was setting myself up for another letdown. Thankfully, I LOVED AKL!!!

AKL is not without flaws...you definitely have to allow more time for bus travel, I hate being able to see the back of the main gate from certain routes, and my poor knee fell victim to the footboard on the bed a number of times. Oh- and there was a bathroom light that was so dim you were practically bathing in the dark, but that's also my fault for not reporting it.

Ultimately, AKL's theme felt much stronger to me...from the smells to the CMs to the animals...it felt like I could actually be out in some African wildlife preserve. That may be another factor...AKL might not feel so authentic if we got to stay at a place like Giraffe Manor in Nairobi. That may also be part of why WL fell a bit flat for me...we've stayed at the Old Faithful Inn and there's a big difference when you're staying at the actual national park hotel vs. a Disney creation. Although, I think the success of AKL in my mind is part of where WL could use some help. Imagine WL with animals...i.e. elk, bison, etc. roaming the grounds in the same kind of controlled fashion... just a thought.

DH and I both agreed we'd stay at AKL again, but probably for a split stay on days when we're not planning on much park time. i.e. it just felt like a nice retreat away from all of the action. My only other issue with AKL...it will forever remind me of this trip...which is both good and bad.

MNSSHP

After doing MVMCP back in 2010, I was worried about doing another party. MVMCP felt like a bit of a waste to us, but thankfully MNSSHP was a much bigger hit. I don't know if it's the dressing up, the trick or treating, or the villains aspect...but it was just better for all of us. I still don't think I'd run out to do it again any time soon, but I'm happy to say we did it and felt like it was $ well spent.

PARKS

If you followed our 2012 trip, you know that we experienced an exceptional number of ride breakdowns. Our complimentary 2 day hoppers were Disney's gesture to compensate us for said issues. Thankfully, we only experienced one true ride breakdown this trip. All in all, the parks seemed fine to me. There are those threads that want to talk about the great demise of the parks and while I will be one of the many to tell you that I miss the original Imagination (among other classic things)...complaining doesn't bring them back and there are lots of other really great things one could enjoy if they allowed themselves to do so. So, now that we've had a positive trip in the parks under our belts after the last mess...I feel much better about the state of things at WDW.

Timing

I'm happy that we finally got to see the parks decked out for Halloween, but the timing was a bit off with my annual plans. I know - sounds crazy, but the same thing happened with our December 2010 trip and last year's Thanksgiving trip. See, I have a lot of things I like to do around home for the various holidays. This trip happened to overlap with the first true weekend of fall. That's normally when we start with our fall decorating and festivities. So, the fall never seemed quite right to me. Yeah- the accident issues didn't help, but I was still off because we weren't home when we should have been. I guess I just do so much for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukkah that I don't know if I can do another trip at this time of year. Time will tell.

Future Trips

DH and I may go back for F&W next fall, but it's a little too early to say for certain if this will happen. The timing of F&W and the various fall holidays makes me iffy on doing this. I guess if we were to do it- mid October would be the most likely time since I'm not missing out on turkey hoarding again (I buy lots of birds when they drop to $0.27-0.23lb and store them in the deep freeze:D) and I'm not going to skip some of my fave fall festivities for a trip again (i.e. pumpkin painting party in the yard is coming to mind).

In all honesty, the bug to return hasn't hit me yet. It usually doesn't hit until January, so we'll see how I feel then. Ultimately, I don't see the girls getting a trip back to WDW until at least 2015. I may even push it back farther so we're timed up with Avatar Land. I'd also like the kids to get a bit taller so we can work in some time at Universal. We shall see. The reality- the WDW luv bug will hit me sooner rather than later ;) and I'll likely be scheming towards some big trip. Who knows- maybe that trip will be the California trip I tabled the other year. Alternately, my dad would love to do a land/sea trip. They had such a wonderful time at Disney this trip that they'd like to go back sooner rather than later. Still, he literally retired last Friday and I think they'll want to get used to the financial aspects of retirement before they entertain the idea of Disney prices for lodging and cruising. Still, good possibilities to keep in mind.

Of course, we still have some unfinished business...like breakfast at Kona and a meal at Raglan Road...and DH did ask for a stay in the Contemporary tower...so, I'm sure we'll return ... sooner rather than later. :happy:

THANK YOU :):happy::joyfull:

While I definitely want to thank all of you for following along, I also wanted to thank you for giving me a place to vent my frustrations. The insurance issues have obviously been a nightmare, but it's also emotionally draining to have to keep rehashing the story and the damage details to get through this process. There were days when I just wanted to curl up and cry if one more person told me that the girls would likely be dead or badly injured if we were in a different vehicle- or other harsh scary "what if's" in that vein. Sorry- not exactly warm fuzzy Disney feelings there...but telling warm fuzzy Disney trip memories was probably the best remedy for me on days when I was confronted with such grave assessments of the damage. So, I thank you guys for giving me a positive place to help ease my mind.

I could probably ramble on for another 5 paragraphs about anything from upcoming cakes, non-WDW trips, holiday lighting plans, turkey hoarding strategies, and gift buying thoughts- just to name a few- but I think it's time I wrap this up. Thanks again everyone!!! It's a tad early, but have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Holiday Season :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
What a magical report! Loved it from start to finish with the saying goodbye to all 4 parks! I'm only 14 days away from my next WDW trip and reading reports while waiting for my own trip really helped the waiting! maybe one day I'll write my own report. Thanks for sharing your magical memories with us :).

Thank you! It was definitely therapeutic to say goodbye to the parks. Wow- your trip is sooooo close! That's a fun time to be there as you should get to see some of the resorts transition to holiday mode :) Have a wonderful trip!!!

So bummed that your trip report is over - I have really enjoyed reading it and am sooooo glad that your issues with the accident have been resolved. Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you for reading! Definitely happy that we're past some of the big insurance issues. :)

On an older thought progression we had pages ago, we were at our den leader's house for a den meeting yesterday, and I spied a Mickey Mouse lawn gnome. I couldn't let it go without cooing over it. He started out explaining his son's love of gnomes starting with the movie Gnomeo and Juliet and evolving into collecting them. He mentioned that they got that particular one last summer on their WDW trip part of their sea and land package. "Oooooooh," I responded, "how cool!" I told him we made it to the last Star Wars Weekend this summer, and the boys had a ball. He said he really enjoyed all the Christmas lights they've seen. I retorted that yes, Osborne Lights would be really neat to see, but all the crowds prevent us from going. He said they took their three kids out of school to beat the crowds, but our school let them know they weren't happy about the kids' going awol. I would have loved to ask all the details, but I refrained. Darn it! I should have pried. So, long story short, yes, our school gets bothered about missing for vacations, although I don't know to what extent.

Well, now I want to see this lawn gnome! What really bugs me with these attendance laws in TX is that they're not helping the target at risk kids. It was supposed to help the potential drop outs stay in school, but it seems that only the better schools/school systems are acting upon it since they seem to care more about the funding they miss out on with absences. i.e. a 7 yr old kid from a good suburban school missing 3-4 days for a trip with family is more likely to be penalized than a 15 year old kid in an inner city school ditching for any number of sketchy reasons. As for seeing Osborne Lights...while I know it's not happening this year, when do you guys normally get out in the Austin area for Thanksgiving? All of the Houston area schools give the kids a full week at Thanksgiving, so just wondering if that's a possibility for you guys.

Like realizing the end of a Disney trip coming so quickly, I feel the same about the TR. Anyway, it was a pleasure to read, see and hear all about the events that unfolded. Always loved learning new things about WDW and what better way to do it than reading a TR! :D

I'm sorry- I wish there were more to report :( But I thank you for reading :) Who knows...maybe the bug will hit me sooner rather than later and I'll start planning a new trip soon ;) The bug usually hits in January...once we're done with the holidays. We shall see. :)

Jessica Meier

The bug is creeping up on me, but I seem to be warding it off with multiple holiday projects and issues with my teeth and sinuses. ;) We will have to make sure that we try to plan our return trips around the same time so we can try meeting up again.

Pooh'sBuddy

Well, now I want to see this lawn gnome! What really bugs me with these attendance laws in TX is that they're not helping the target at risk kids. It was supposed to help the potential drop outs stay in school, but it seems that only the better schools/school systems are acting upon it since they seem to care more about the funding they miss out on with absences. i.e. a 7 yr old kid from a good suburban school missing 3-4 days for a trip with family is more likely to be penalized than a 15 year old kid in an inner city school ditching for any number of sketchy reasons. As for seeing Osborne Lights...while I know it's not happening this year, when do you guys normally get out in the Austin area for Thanksgiving? All of the Houston area schools give the kids a full week at Thanksgiving, so just wondering if that's a possibility for you guys.

It's this gnome: http://www.disneystore.com/outdoor-...se-garden-gnome-figure-13/mp/1263944/1000249/

I agree totally. It's now all about the money, which I'll try to stay off that soap box and not point fingers at those who put us in this pickle, but it's very, very wrong. My kids shouldn't be viewed as dollar signs. (deep, cleansing breath)

Lucky, lucky! We have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving week, but we have extra days after New Years. :banghead: That would have been perfect to schedule days off your way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom