Trip Report There's Something About Mary...and it's called DRAMA!

I think it's time to get this thing started...hoping it will help my mood and sanity levels. For those that missed the PTR (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/lawdy-lawdy-look-whos-turning-40-ptr.867181/) - the early pages should help you catch up on the bulk of the big details, and for those that missed our problems from day 1 of our trip (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-not-to-start-your-wdw-vacay.873853/ )...well, it kind of speaks for itself.:( I am going to try and keep this as upbeat as possible, but we have a very long road ahead to fix things...so, please bear with me as I vent in between some of the magic. :)

September 18th

I left work early on the 18th so I could pick up the girls at school and have them with us when we took our dog to get boarded. This is our Daisy Doggy...
074.JPG

What's really funny, the pic above was taken with Sammie's Fisher Price plastic kiddie camera!

After getting the dog situated at boarding, we went home, had some dinner, and the heavy duty packing started. I'd actually started packing my things on the 17th, but now it was time to really focus on the girls. I let them sleep in the guest bedroom that night so I could pack all of their stuff without keeping them up...i.e. so I could pack all of the surprise outfits without spoiling anything.;) It was A TON of packing, but I finished up around 1am. I had thought about setting up the outfits and bags in the guest room for the reveal, but Sammie got up to use the bathroom right around that time- soooooo, I decided to wait until just before the big reveal.

September 19

I guess I got close to 4.5 hours of sleep (good for the night before a travel day)...and at 6am, it was finally time to set up and reveal the big secret. I got everything set up and then DH came in to help me. The video I took is pretty awful and sleepy girls don't make for really good surprises, but this is the vid I took and I swear...they were REALLY happy.

You can all now probably appreciate what it's like getting these two up for school each morning. :facepalm:

Actually, the girls were super quick to get dressed once it really sunk in what was going on. They were even good with posing for pictures before hitting the road...
9924749463_db7fbda884.jpg

We loaded up my SUV and hit the road...sadly, we wouldn't get far. The accident took place about 2.5 miles from our house. I really don't want to rehash all of the scary details, but when we realized we'd all be able to walk away from this horror - we had to decide if we'd continue with this WDW trip. While the girls' initial screams and cries were from the accident itself, they morphed into cries that they wouldn't get to see their grandma and grandpa. We usually try and visit every 3 months, but we pushed it a bit longer b/c of this trip. It was for this reason DH and I decided to push forward with the trip even if the odds weren't in our favor. I guess I just figured getting everyone to "the most magical place on earth" could be therapeutic. Don't get me wrong...I love that the EMTs and lead sheriff on the scene were super lovey with the girls :inlove: - they really needed something super positive...so, Disney it was!

So, after I took care of the most important initial phone calls, I got Southwest on the line (at the scene of the wreck) and started working with them to rebook the outbound flight. We were yelling over ambulance sirens and traffic, but after about 20 min, we were rebooked from our 9:15am departure to a 3:55pm departure. They also said DH could ask for a blue card for pre-board (we were now in group C after paying to be in group A on the original flight)...while it's gotten better, he had some leg pain that day and was limping from the aches. The timing also worked well since it gave me time to go to the collision center, talk to the various insurance companies, etc. My wonderful MIL was also kind enough to pick up DH and the girls from the scene. This enabled him to get his car and she was able to love on the girls for a while until we were ready to regroup and get travel plans rolling again.

While our flight out of Houston was delayed close to 3 hours due to weather and mechanical issues (not helping Kendall, who was now terrified that the plane would crash), but we got off the ground a little after 6pm and we were on our way...

9924756273_281dbbc4e9.jpg

Sammie sat with DH on the way to FL-- with Pooh, of course...
9924657494_bc33e6d210.jpg

I had Kendall...
9924579545_9f192d5e78.jpg

...and we spent the entire flight doing this big word search on her tablet.

9924651404_e1738fda8b.jpg

We flew into terminal A and DME is in terminal B. It was after the girls' bed time, so we opted to just get our baggage. Soooooo, we went down to terminal A baggage and then lugged it over to DME in terminal B. Thankfully, Kendall has overcome her fear of escalators, so minus losing her shoe for a while on one of them :rolleyes: we were in good shape.

I think the CMs manning the DME entrance could read all of the stress and worry on my face, because they promised me pixie dust and magic from that point on. :D We had our Magic Bands on at this point, but I had my vouchers out so in the interest of time and sanity, they just used those. They directed us to the line for AKL and while we were let on the bus right away...we were so late that the bus was accommodating a number of resorts from various lines. Still...Kendall and I wound up with this prime spot!

9924661334_a5f37400c7.jpg

I swear, I got choked up when I looked up and saw the screen...like that "we're really on our way" moment.

9924619886_389c274cb7.jpg

It took a while for them to load up the bus since they were waiting on people to come in from all of these late or delayed flights, but it wasn't long before we were off. :happy:

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The bug is creeping up on me, but I seem to be warding it off with multiple holiday projects and issues with my teeth and sinuses. ;) We will have to make sure that we try to plan our return trips around the same time so we can try meeting up again.

Sorry you're still having teeth/sinus issues :( No fun. I'm pretty certain it's going to hit me once the girls go back to school in 2014. Hopefully, we can try and time things up again for next time...but with less drama!

It's this gnome: http://www.disneystore.com/outdoor-...se-garden-gnome-figure-13/mp/1263944/1000249/

I agree totally. It's now all about the money, which I'll try to stay off that soap box and not point fingers at those who put us in this pickle, but it's very, very wrong. My kids shouldn't be viewed as dollar signs. (deep, cleansing breath)

Lucky, lucky! We have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving week, but we have extra days after New Years. :banghead: That would have been perfect to schedule days off your way.

Great gnome!!!

Yeah- we could probably go on at great lengths over the issues with the education system. It's just so frustrating because every state seems to have an overabundance of education issues and it all comes down to $ vs. what's best for kids.

We also get that time around New Year's, but I'm guessing you probably get other breaks that we don't. It's too bad Austin can't take a nod from Houston w/the time off at Thanksgiving. :(

Cesar R M

You know, speaking for experience in restaurants worldwide.. all regarding the inconsistencies.. is..
You cant really have the same experience all the time.. a simple thing like the Chef or Sous Chef going on vacations and leaving a deputy or replacement in the kitchen can affect the flavor a lot....
I have seen so many restaurants whose flavors vary or are of a different style (different spice style) when the original chef is not in the kitchen.

So it could have happened.. switched Chefs, Switched equipment, different crew.. all can cause these inconsistencies..

Tigger19

I really enjoyed your trip report! Your last few updates nearly made me cry because I know how you feel when its time to go :( Hope you get all your insurance, medical and car troubles sorted and I'm really looking forward to reading your next TR (whenever that may be :p )

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
You know, speaking for experience in restaurants worldwide.. all regarding the inconsistencies.. is..
You cant really have the same experience all the time.. a simple thing like the Chef or Sous Chef going on vacations and leaving a deputy or replacement in the kitchen can affect the flavor a lot....
I have seen so many restaurants whose flavors vary or are of a different style (different spice style) when the original chef is not in the kitchen.

So it could have happened.. switched Chefs, Switched equipment, different crew.. all can cause these inconsistencies..

I agree with this to some extent. Minor inconsistencies are understandable, but from my experience working in the restaurant industry... the owners, chefs and managers I've known worked very hard to ensure that these things are as seamless as possible. I recall working in one restaurant where the owner would train all new chefs and form a tasting to committee to ensure that their prep of the standard menu dishes tasted identical to every other chef in the crew. I had a chef friend that would go to great lengths to ensure all of his sous chefs made the standard menu dishes in identical fashion since consistency is so vital to a restaurant's reputation and repeat business potential. As far as service goes, there is no excuse for subpar service. Obviously, some people will work together better than others, but the customers shouldn't suffer.

Enjoyed your TR!!! So sorry to hear about all of your accident issues & by the way, your girls are so cute!

Thanks! Definitely little hams.:happy: I guess at least the accident issues are starting to improve. Getting into a new vehicle was such a relief! :)

Definitely looking forward to a next trip and most definitely with less drama for us both!

I know, we just had so many trip issues between the 2 of us. it's just not fair, especially after all of the planning involved with it all. Oh well- all the more reason to plan another :) What's really crazy to me...on this night-1 year ago- I was surprising the kids with the 2012 trip to Disney. Hard to believe how time has flown!

I think a bit of drama (aka the good type, not the bad type) can spice the travels experience a lot. making these trips more special ;)

Good drama would have been great. Sadly, the biggest drama factors here were not of the good variety. :(

Thanks! I can't wait to be there! I know it will be very magical, I love Christmas decorations!!! :)

I was just watching some Osborne Lights videos today. So jealous that you'll get to see the lights :D I may just have to plan our F&W trip on the late side...just so I can see those and the Dreamlights.

Cesar R M

I agree with this to some extent. Minor inconsistencies are understandable, but from my experience working in the restaurant industry... the owners, chefs and managers I've known worked very hard to ensure that these things are as seamless as possible. I recall working in one restaurant where the owner would train all new chefs and form a tasting to committee to ensure that their prep of the standard menu dishes tasted identical to every other chef in the crew. I had a chef friend that would go to great lengths to ensure all of his sous chefs made the standard menu dishes in identical fashion since consistency is so vital to a restaurant's reputation and repeat business potential. As far as service goes, there is no excuse for subpar service. Obviously, some people will work together better than others, but the customers shouldn't suffer.

Agree with you, making a standard should be a must in almost all restaurants.

Good drama would have been great. Sadly, the biggest drama factors here were not of the good variety. :(
Theres hope that you get only good drama in your next trip!.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We just watched the lighting of Cinderellas castle and Cadence and I were like we have to go back now!

I was trying to decide today if it was worth braving the crowds for the last weekend of F&W next year. It would be the ideal weekend since that "should" mean seeing the Dreamlights and Osborne Lights.

How are y'all feeling now?

We're not too bad. We still have a little over a month to go in back treatments, but I think we both feel improvements. We also make the shift down to once a week pretty soon. Neither one of us has really needed the ice packs over the last week or two, so I see it as progress. :)

docdebbi

oh no, don't be done. you are my little mini-vacation every day. how 'bout you just keep posting pics and pretending you are still there and I'll never know the difference.
of course, i was there two weeks ago, maybe i could post my own..........but who has time for that?

glad it was a good trip, despite a little drama, thanks for posting

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I was trying to decide today if it was worth braving the crowds for the last weekend of F&W next year. It would be the ideal weekend since that "should" mean seeing the Dreamlights and Osborne Lights.

We're not too bad. We still have a little over a month to go in back treatments, but I think we both feel improvements. We also make the shift down to once a week pretty soon. Neither one of us has really needed the ice packs over the last week or two, so I see it as progress. :)

I've been to the last weekend of F&W twice, and somehow it's not as bad as earlier in the festival--almost as if everyone's partied themselves out...:p One big reason why I like the last weekend is because they put all the festival merchandise on sale! Add that to the opportunity to catch the Dreamlights and the Osborne Lights, and it makes a strong argument for going! ;)

Glad to hear your recovery's progressing.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
oh no, don't be done. you are my little mini-vacation every day. how 'bout you just keep posting pics and pretending you are still there and I'll never know the difference.
of course, i was there two weeks ago, maybe i could post my own..........but who has time for that?

glad it was a good trip, despite a little drama, thanks for posting

I'm sorry...I wish there was more to report :( I do have more pictures (took around 2,700), but most of them are either very similar to things that appeared in the report or things that just didn't turn out too well. I thought about doing a video slideshow on YouTube to tack into my conclusion, but I just didn't have the motivation...although, I did get some musical inspiration for one if DH and I do F&W next yr. TRs can be very time consuming and we're hitting that time of year where time seems to be stretched a bit farther than normal...so, I totally understand not doing a TR. Hoping you had a wonderful trip!!! :) Thanks for reading!

I've been to the last weekend of F&W twice, and somehow it's not as bad as earlier in the festival--almost as if everyone's partied themselves out...:p One big reason why I like the last weekend is because they put all the festival merchandise on sale! Add that to the opportunity to catch the Dreamlights and the Osborne Lights, and it makes a strong argument for going! ;)

Glad to hear your recovery's progressing.

Very encouraging information/insights on the timing! I do like sales and the Dreamlights/Osborne Lights are the driving forces behind me pushing for a late F&W visit. :geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom