Trip Report There's Something About Mary...and it's called DRAMA!

I think it's time to get this thing started...hoping it will help my mood and sanity levels. For those that missed the PTR (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/lawdy-lawdy-look-whos-turning-40-ptr.867181/) - the early pages should help you catch up on the bulk of the big details, and for those that missed our problems from day 1 of our trip (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-not-to-start-your-wdw-vacay.873853/ )...well, it kind of speaks for itself.:( I am going to try and keep this as upbeat as possible, but we have a very long road ahead to fix things...so, please bear with me as I vent in between some of the magic. :)

September 18th

I left work early on the 18th so I could pick up the girls at school and have them with us when we took our dog to get boarded. This is our Daisy Doggy...
074.JPG

What's really funny, the pic above was taken with Sammie's Fisher Price plastic kiddie camera!

After getting the dog situated at boarding, we went home, had some dinner, and the heavy duty packing started. I'd actually started packing my things on the 17th, but now it was time to really focus on the girls. I let them sleep in the guest bedroom that night so I could pack all of their stuff without keeping them up...i.e. so I could pack all of the surprise outfits without spoiling anything.;) It was A TON of packing, but I finished up around 1am. I had thought about setting up the outfits and bags in the guest room for the reveal, but Sammie got up to use the bathroom right around that time- soooooo, I decided to wait until just before the big reveal.

September 19

I guess I got close to 4.5 hours of sleep (good for the night before a travel day)...and at 6am, it was finally time to set up and reveal the big secret. I got everything set up and then DH came in to help me. The video I took is pretty awful and sleepy girls don't make for really good surprises, but this is the vid I took and I swear...they were REALLY happy.

You can all now probably appreciate what it's like getting these two up for school each morning. :facepalm:

Actually, the girls were super quick to get dressed once it really sunk in what was going on. They were even good with posing for pictures before hitting the road...
9924749463_db7fbda884.jpg

We loaded up my SUV and hit the road...sadly, we wouldn't get far. The accident took place about 2.5 miles from our house. I really don't want to rehash all of the scary details, but when we realized we'd all be able to walk away from this horror - we had to decide if we'd continue with this WDW trip. While the girls' initial screams and cries were from the accident itself, they morphed into cries that they wouldn't get to see their grandma and grandpa. We usually try and visit every 3 months, but we pushed it a bit longer b/c of this trip. It was for this reason DH and I decided to push forward with the trip even if the odds weren't in our favor. I guess I just figured getting everyone to "the most magical place on earth" could be therapeutic. Don't get me wrong...I love that the EMTs and lead sheriff on the scene were super lovey with the girls :inlove: - they really needed something super positive...so, Disney it was!

So, after I took care of the most important initial phone calls, I got Southwest on the line (at the scene of the wreck) and started working with them to rebook the outbound flight. We were yelling over ambulance sirens and traffic, but after about 20 min, we were rebooked from our 9:15am departure to a 3:55pm departure. They also said DH could ask for a blue card for pre-board (we were now in group C after paying to be in group A on the original flight)...while it's gotten better, he had some leg pain that day and was limping from the aches. The timing also worked well since it gave me time to go to the collision center, talk to the various insurance companies, etc. My wonderful MIL was also kind enough to pick up DH and the girls from the scene. This enabled him to get his car and she was able to love on the girls for a while until we were ready to regroup and get travel plans rolling again.

While our flight out of Houston was delayed close to 3 hours due to weather and mechanical issues (not helping Kendall, who was now terrified that the plane would crash), but we got off the ground a little after 6pm and we were on our way...

9924756273_281dbbc4e9.jpg

Sammie sat with DH on the way to FL-- with Pooh, of course...
9924657494_bc33e6d210.jpg

I had Kendall...
9924579545_9f192d5e78.jpg

...and we spent the entire flight doing this big word search on her tablet.

9924651404_e1738fda8b.jpg

We flew into terminal A and DME is in terminal B. It was after the girls' bed time, so we opted to just get our baggage. Soooooo, we went down to terminal A baggage and then lugged it over to DME in terminal B. Thankfully, Kendall has overcome her fear of escalators, so minus losing her shoe for a while on one of them :rolleyes: we were in good shape.

I think the CMs manning the DME entrance could read all of the stress and worry on my face, because they promised me pixie dust and magic from that point on. :D We had our Magic Bands on at this point, but I had my vouchers out so in the interest of time and sanity, they just used those. They directed us to the line for AKL and while we were let on the bus right away...we were so late that the bus was accommodating a number of resorts from various lines. Still...Kendall and I wound up with this prime spot!

9924661334_a5f37400c7.jpg

I swear, I got choked up when I looked up and saw the screen...like that "we're really on our way" moment.

9924619886_389c274cb7.jpg

It took a while for them to load up the bus since they were waiting on people to come in from all of these late or delayed flights, but it wasn't long before we were off. :happy:

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I've only done DME once before, but I've driven the area enough to know when we're approaching the WDW limits. I was borderline sobbing when I saw the Maingate. And of course all I had out was my phone, so this was the best (and only) shot I got of us driving underneath the illuminated gate.

9925752386_880c287fd8.jpg

We stopped at All Star Sports first. Kendall was in awe of the big bright light up letters...but was ready to move on to our resort. And soon enough, we were there and I was face to face with the pretty check in area backdrop...

9925797594_867a2a092a.jpg

Oddly enough, it reminds me of an Esprit outfit I had in the 80s. LOVED that outfit.

Sammie was soooooo sleepy, but DH was doing his best to entertain the girls while I checked in. It was somewhere in this process that we realized that the Mara was closing at 11:30pm and it was already 11:17pm. So, I sent DH and the kids off to grab food while I finished the process. The CM who checked us in was so sweet. She gave me sequined tiaras for the kids, she made birthday buttons for me and my mom, and she even had 2013 glow in the dark slides for our magic bands. She confirmed we had a bunk bed room in the pool area- and that was about it...i.e. I'd have to wait until we got there to inspect the view.

A very nice bellman got me and our 8 bags to the room. It even gave me a few moments to have the room to myself- just to soak it all in. I felt kind of silly, but I cried over this on our bed for a little while...

9925117223_85e6e02ccf.jpg

I was also pretty sure our room wasn't pool view. I'd passed a lookout on the way to the room and the pool was to the right. Our room was on the left...meaning we had a savannah view!!!! SCORE!

It was so dark and my stuff was still packed up, so I didn't take any balcony pics that night, but I had spotted some ankole cattle looking back at me as I peaked outside.

DH texted me and called me, and it wasn't long before he was back at the room with the girls. They were energized again and went NUTS when they saw the bunk bed. Of course there was a fight over the top bunk, but we flipped a coin and figured they'd each get 2 nights up there.

DH got the girls the dinner of champions :rolleyes:- chicken nuggets and fries. He and I shared a corned beef sandwich...
9925900883_86e7b11a8f.jpg

Everyone went to bed after this...well, except for me. I retreated to the balcony to log on here as well as Facebook. I was still so rattled, but there was a lot of peace on that balcony after a day with such a horrific start. I eventually got to sleep and when I woke up...I was greeted by the bright beautiful sun.

September 20

9925807284_9a6e1d40f5.jpg

Coming up...our first full day.

Last edited:

CinderMama

So glad you've started your TR, feel free to vent, I think we'll understand! I can't imagine the ups and downs of that first day. I truly believe that people are inherently kind and compassionate, and you're right, the CMs could probably read your stress, and took good care of you. At least you were able to get a little bit of quiet time to decompress.

Looking forward to hearing, and seeing more! :happy:

PolynesianPrincess

So sad to hear about your accident :( Thank god no one was hurt! I'm glad to hear you were able to still make your trip!

AWESOME view from your room. AKL is a resort I would like to stay at but ONLY if we had a svannah view!

Love the girls outfits. So cute! Can't wait to read all about your adventures!!! Oh, and I meant to tell you, when we rode PPF earlier this month I thought of you everytime we flew over London!! :)

Pooh'sBuddy

I swear, I got choked up when I looked up and saw the screen...like that "we're really on our way" moment.

9924619886_389c274cb7.jpg

Yeah, getting choked up is really easy.

I've only done DME once before, but I've driven the area enough to know when we're approaching the WDW limits. I was borderline sobbing when I saw the Maingate. And of course all I had out was my phone, so this was the best (and only) shot I got of us driving underneath the illuminated gate.

9925752386_880c287fd8.jpg

It's beautiful blurs and all.

And soon enough, we were there and I was face to face with the pretty check in area backdrop...

9925797594_867a2a092a.jpg

Oddly enough, it reminds me of an Esprit outfit I had in the 80s. LOVED that outfit.

Aaaaaah! :inlove:

It even gave me a few moments to have the room to myself- just to soak it all in. I felt kind of silly, but I cried over this on our bed for a little while...

9925117223_85e6e02ccf.jpg

I was also pretty sure our room wasn't pool view. I'd passed a lookout on the way to the room and the pool was to the right. Our room was on the left...meaning we had a savannah view!!!! SCORE!

It was so dark and my stuff was still packed up, so I didn't take any balcony pics that night, but I had spotted some ankole cattle looking back at me as I peaked outside.

DH texted me and called me, and it wasn't long before he was back at the room with the girls. They were energized again and went NUTS when they saw the bunk bed. Of course there was a fight over the top bunk, but we flipped a coin and figured they'd each get 2 nights up there.

DH got the girls the dinner of champions :rolleyes:- chicken nuggets and fries. He and I shared a corned beef sandwich...
9925900883_86e7b11a8f.jpg

Everyone went to bed after this...well, except for me. I retreated to the balcony to log on here as well as Facebook. I was still so rattled, but there was a lot of peace on that balcony after a day with such a horrific start. I eventually got to sleep and when I woke up...I was greeting by the bright beautiful sun.

September 20

9925807284_9a6e1d40f5.jpg

Coming up...our first full day.

Sweet! Can't wait to read more.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Sorry about your car accident. Glad everyone was ok. I hope you enjoyed your trip considering how it started. :) Looking forward to reading about and seeing the pictures.

Thanks! It was hard to fully enjoy it, but it definitely was better than sitting at home being upset and I think it helped the girls. I promise lots of pictures. :)

Yay, you started! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks! I'll hopefully get a chance to post a little more tonight.

Sorry again about your accident and I hope your issues get sorted out as smoothly as possible.

Looking forward to the report and pics!

Thanks! Things are still pretty nightmarish, but I'm hoping it will start to look up over the next week. The pics vary (greatly) in quality, but there are lots of them :D

Ohh thank god you guys are all ok! So glad you made your trip!! Looking forward to all your good memories:)

Thank you! Every time I get really upset with things over getting this resolved, I remind myself of how fortunate we were. I'm very glad we went ahead with the trip...I think the positive memories after something so bad were highly beneficial.

Glad your day got better after a rought start, and good to see everyone is okay! Sidenote: I'm 23 and still terrified of escalators. I'd never heard anyone else with that fear, so it's crazy to hear your daughter has it a bit. I just started working at headquarters for my company where it's all escalators. AHH.

Thanks! That really is the most important thing. I'll have to share that with Kendall...will make her feel much better. Good luck with your company escalators. I know that's always been her fear with "Bring Your Child to Work Day." We spent the better part of my lunch break last month riding the escalators just to help her develop good on/off strategies and ultimately help her comfort levels.

I hope the trip and this trip report provide a great therapeutic outlet for you! So sorry that happened to you! What a great upgrade! Can't wait to read on...

Thanks! It definitely does take me to a happier place when I'm editing pictures or trying to put together text. Still so grateful that we walked away from this accident. Definitely happy with the room. I know there are fewer bunk bed rooms, so a real perk to get one with a savannah view.

Ah, I got teary-eyed reading thru your TR thus far...sending you pixie-dusted thoughts and warm cocoa-infused hugs! I am looking forward to reading more of your journey!

Thank you :) As awful as it all is, I guess I was headed to the best place on earth to find a mega dose of magic and happy. And thankfully, I'm a pretty longwinded person- so I should hopefully be able to stretch this report through a chunk of the headaches...at least that's what I'm hoping.

Sandy, despite the horrific start of your vacation (you sure had an Angel on your shoulder) I am so glad you decided to keep your plans and go. Your girls are so adorable!!! LOVE the halloween outfits!!!! Look forward to updates :)

Exactly what I was thinking. If you were sitting inside my vehicle, you'd never know it was in such a horrible crash. The full cabin, even the visible sections of my cargo area, look like nothing happened. Even my back windows are fully intact (actually, all windows are intact). It's not until you get out do you see the damage. Still, she's built on a truck chassis, so she was designed to absorb more than a crossover SUV. I'm glad we decided to go, because I can't image how much of a head case we all would have been without it. I was really pleased with how the outfits turned out ... it also helps that the girls have their hammy moments. Thanks! Hopefully posting some more tonight.

So glad you've started your TR, feel free to vent, I think we'll understand! I can't imagine the ups and downs of that first day. I truly believe that people are inherently kind and compassionate, and you're right, the CMs could probably read your stress, and took good care of you. At least you were able to get a little bit of quiet time to decompress.

Looking forward to hearing, and seeing more! :happy:

I too normally feel most people are inherently good. As angry as I am that this woman is contesting my statement, I'd like to believe she was just confused and never got to see what really happened since she was pretty much incoherent at the crash site. The CMs were wonderful, but that's why Disney is so special to so many of us. I wish the vacay was a little more relaxing and didn't have this dark cloud waiting for me at the end, but it definitely helped my sanity and restored the bulk of the happiness for the girls. Hopefully posting more tonight.

So sad to hear about your accident :( Thank god no one was hurt! I'm glad to hear you were able to still make your trip!

AWESOME view from your room. AKL is a resort I would like to stay at but ONLY if we had a svannah view!

Love the girls outfits. So cute! Can't wait to read all about your adventures!!! Oh, and I meant to tell you, when we rode PPF earlier this month I thought of you everytime we flew over London!! :)

Yes, definitely counting our blessings here. The room at AKL was also great. Not sure if I'm willing to pay the full price on a savannah view, but I think I heard that 70% of the rooms offer some kind of savannah view. So, most people get upgraded at no extra charge. Funny that you bring up London, I had a few thoughts about just getting stuck there indefinitely while we rode PPF.

I'm so glad you guys are all ok. Hopefully everything gets resolved soon. So glad you were able to make your Disney trip though.

Thanks! I do too, but so far it's a slow go. I think the trip, while it couldn't erase all pain, was definitely helpful after something so bad.

What a great start to your resort, minus the accident of course. WE just love AKL!!! I can't wait to be back there in May!

AKL was really great! I'm glad we finally got a chance to try it.

On board and looking forward to the rest of the report. After following the PTR, can't wait to see how it all turns out. Shame that it got off to such a start, but it sounds like you started making the best of it right away.

Definitely not the way I envisioned my trip starting, but I think it helped all of us to escape for a little while and surround ourselves with happy positive things.

Yeah, getting choked up is really easy.

It's beautiful blurs and all.

Aaaaaah! :inlove:

Sweet! Can't wait to read more.

I certainly choked up more this trip than I ever do, but it's understandable. I'll hopefully be posting more this evening.

It's only the beginning of your trip report and I already got teary eyes reading it. Very happy to hear that everyone was fine. Can't wait to read more. Your trip report will help me wait for my own trip in November. :)

Yeah- not exactly the normal (or wanted) start to anyone's report, but still so thankful that we're all OK minus some lingering aches and pains. November is a great time to go- cooler temps and holiday décor!

Looking forward to the report!!! Can't wait to see cakes!

Thanks Coach! And there will be cakes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom