'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Good point....actually makes a lot of sense. Because of my morning race nerves, I'm used to running on a nearly empty stomach. I ran on a full stomach for the first time in forever in this race. My body wasn't used to that.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the reports guys. Sorry to hear that some of you had some rough times.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Good point....actually makes a lot of sense. Because of my morning race nerves, I'm used to running on a nearly empty stomach. I ran on a full stomach for the first time in forever in this race. My body wasn't used to that.
Just trying to help so you dont repeat and have another bad experience. Just food for thought. *rim shot* ;)

I ate a descent breakfast, a regular lunch and then a snack at dinner. I think I drank to much water. Oy!

DisneyRunner

I can tolerate the heat when running. Luckily, there were a few days of warmer temps in the afternoon/early evening, when I went out for my last training runs. The pm runs worked well for me as, I do most of my running on little to no food in the morning. With these last runs I watched the foods I ate and when. I didn't want any digestive issues. I arrived on 9/26 and started monitoring my hydration, at this point. I was drinking a lot up until the race. MNSSHP on Friday night was a good test for fluid as, I didn't drink anything that day after 7pm. Then near midnight we asked for water. On the day of the race, I had two pancakes and one piece of bacon for breakfast, pasta with marinara for lunch and a bagel with pb&j for dinner. A bagel at 5pm was nonexistent at the resort. Thank goodness I had one left in the room. I also drank water and powerade through out the day. Out on the course, I carried my Cliff bar. As I do, I ate some of it a hour after the start of the race, then a bite every ten minutes. I noticed I still had my Cliff bar on me during ride number two of TSM. I threw it out, at the nearest garbage can. I think we ran the sand trail part of the course, due to it's narrowness. I didn't want to hold anyone up. I remember commenting on the poor traction. It was similar to riding a bike on sand, your tire sliding out from under you.

Texas84

We had a 2:30 ADR at Le Cellier and didn't eat anything else substantial. Figured a steak would go well for that evening. No stomach issues at all.

a2grafix

Since everyone is talking about food day of or before race, I will chime in.

Arrived Sept 27 and left WDW Oct 2. I ate my normal faire share while staying at the Shades of Green. I do remember the day of the race having a cup of coffee and a large cup full of fruit yogurt parfait from the Starbucks stand at Shades. I ate 3 during my stay. My mom and dad and me spent the morning and mid-afternoon at Animal Kingdom. I remember eating a Cliff Bar, the big cake like ones. We also ate lunch at the Flame Tree BBQ. Have to tell you their turkey sandwich on whole grain bread was AWESOME, even with the 2 flavors of BBQ sauce. Very nutritious. Drank my equal share of water the day of the race and my mom kept on reminding me.

I suggested we go to another park, and parents said no. Keep it light. We left around 3pm for Shades and for about 90 minutes I rested and gathered myself. Then it was onto the Shady Shuttle golf cart, to the Poly monorail station to the Magic Kingdom, and then a bus to the Boardwalk. From there, another bus across the street to the Studios parking lot.

The unfortunate thing is that for about 2.5 hours before the start I forgot to purchase a bottle of water. I was parched by the time of our WDWMagic runner meet and greet, and luckily I remembered there was a water fountain nearby. I was okay before race time and as we were walking out of the corrals to the starting chute I noticed a table filled with cups of water. I took one and sipped it while waiting some 30 minutes before my corral was allowed to start. On the route I didn't feel bloated or any upset stomach issues. Afterward, like around 3am me and my parents all had some ice cream in the shadows of Tower.

Sunday morning we all had a nice brunch at the Garden Galley that filled us up right. From then on I was walking like my old man with 5-6 band aids on my feet.

a2grafix

Sooo, RunDisney does NOT verify submitted times? There were a lot of people in B that did not belong there.

Try Corral C. Immediately after my section got the green light there were a handful of walkers in my path, even before we cleared the main welcome arch before the hairpin turn up the ramp to Oseola Parkway.

fmingo36

A little upset-it's been a week and still no official photos from Brightroom. ASI would have had the photos up by now.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
My First Disney Race!!!
I DID IT :) Chip time 2:09 !!!
Started in corral D so I could do my own thing & not get in anyones way. Had a great time.
Ate Chicken & Penne Pasta from food court at 5pm. No belly issues thank goodness.
Nice Job. Now the obsession sets in. :)

Texas84

My First Disney Race!!!
I DID IT :) Chip time 2:09 !!!
Congrats!

Try Corral C. Immediately after my section got the green light there were a handful of walkers in my path, even before we cleared the main welcome arch before the hairpin turn up the ramp to Oseola Parkway.
What the heck were you doing in C? Should have been at least in B.

The more I read, the happier I am with my time. Conditions must have been even worse than I thought. I even made up some good time after walking my cousin to the med tent.

a2grafix

Congrats!

What the heck were you doing in C? Should have been at least in B.

The more I read, the happier I am with my time. Conditions must have been even worse than I thought. I even made up some good time after walking my cousin to the med tent.

What was I doing in C? I was being faithful to what I guessed when I registered. This was my first-ever 10 miler and I had never run anything farther than an 8K. So, I had to guess. Disney was asking around what time is my half-marathon time and I had nothing to show since I have never run one unofficially or officially.

Now that I know I can go a little faster after training next time I enter myself in the 2013 Tower 10 miler or an upcoming runDisney half-marathon I will know where I should be and that is B.

When I look back at it, maybe B would have been better and I could have had a better time, possibly between 90-100 minute time frame, which I was shooting for. Instead, I finished with 115 minutes. Can't complain, but there is something I can do to go faster for next time.

JillC LI

I am really enjoying all the race reports. Btw, Brad, I Liked your message because it was a good report, not because I was happy to hear about how tough a race it was for you. I was sorry to hear about that part and hope you didn't misunderstand my Like. Good job to everyone who completed the race in that heat and humidity.

Texas84

What was I doing in C? I was being faithful to what I guessed when I registered. This was my first-ever 10 miler and I had never run anything farther than an 8K. So, I had to guess. Disney was asking around what time is my half-marathon time and I had nothing to show since I have never run one unofficially or officially.

Now that I know I can go a little faster after training next time I enter myself in the 2013 Tower 10 miler or an upcoming runDisney half-marathon I will know where I should be and that is B.

When I look back at it, maybe B would have been better and I could have had a better time, possibly between 90-100 minute time frame, which I was shooting for. Instead, I finished with 115 minutes. Can't complain, but there is something I can do to go faster for next time.
I felt that way last year at the W&D. I qualified for B but dropped back to C. Probably cost us 20 minutes. Never again! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom