'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I also saw several people at WWoS being taken by ambulance. On the next event it may be smart to have medical out by parking for those who think they can make it home but then realize there is something wrong. I'm sure a lot of people just needed food or fluids and could have benefited from talking to a medical professional before having to call an ambulance.
There was a lot of announcements about "take fluids, it is 80 degrees and super high humidity, take fluids".

People around me were dropping like flies. I really crack up at those runners who start too fast (I have before) and then I catch them a ile or so ahead walking, then they try and blow past me again. Repeat this scenario for 10 miles. Around the 8 or 9 mile mark, somewhere on the entrance 270 degree ramp with a killer grad degree, there were some people really struggling. I think around this point, I felt like I wasnt sweating anymore and a few cold chills took me by surprise. I run in heat liek this all the time and I just cant explain why I reacted like this other than I traveled that day and the odds were against me being under hydrated or over hydrated.

wilkeliza

There was a lot of announcements about "take fluids, it is 80 degrees and super high humidity, take fluids".

People around me were dropping like flies. I really crack up at those runners who start too fast (I have before) and then I catch them a ile or so ahead walking, then they try and blow past me again. Repeat this scenario for 10 miles. Around the 8 or 9 mile mark, somewhere on the entrance 270 degree ramp with a killer grad degree, there were some people really struggling. I think around this point, I felt like I wasnt sweating anymore and a few cold chills took me by surprise. I run in heat liek this all the time and I just cant explain why I reacted like this other than I traveled that day and the odds were against me being under hydrated or over hydrated.

I took the announcements to heart and over did it. I shouldn't have gone for the powerade every other mile because for one I despise the taste of powerade and two I've never drank it while running. I should have stuck to my own water because between the water I had and the powerade every other mile I probably had too much.

Oh and I don't know if they had it because I only saw the alcohol but I'm not a drinker at all can't stand beer so I was a little lost when all I could find was water, powerade, or beer. I really just wanted my chocolate milk for my recovery drink but couldn't find it easily and in my state 30 minutes after the race was not in shape to go looking for it.

I do feel better prepared for the Princess Half though. No matter what anyone else thinks I'm going to continue running with my backpack. I like having the 1.5 litters of water at my disposal just in case. Also if my boyfriend isn't running he now knows to go get me a chocolate milk when I text him that I'm in the last mile stretch that way I won't have to go looking for one again.

MKCP 1985

One thing I have observed about Disney Races - they have more first aid than most other races because they draw more people who are there for the fun of it all and their first big race. The first marathon I ran that wasn't a Disney event, I went looking for some biofreeze at the halfway mark and there was none. They hadn't run out - they just didn't provide it. LoL That is a luxury we take for granted at Disney races!

I hear what you are saying, wilkeliza. In my limited experience, what you describe is not uncommon at organized races. From what I hear about the humidity in your race, it is not surprising that more people than expected were having a tough time of it.

joel_maxwell

I took the announcements to heart and over did it. I shouldn't have gone for the powerade every other mile because for one I despise the taste of powerade and two I've never drank it while running. I should have stuck to my own water because between the water I had and the powerade every other mile I probably had too much.

Oh and I don't know if they had it because I only saw the alcohol but I'm not a drinker at all can't stand beer so I was a little lost when all I could find was water, powerade, or beer. I really just wanted my chocolate milk for my recovery drink but couldn't find it easily and in my state 30 minutes after the race was not in shape to go looking for it.

I do feel better prepared for the Princess Half though. No matter what anyone else thinks I'm going to continue running with my backpack. I like having the 1.5 litters of water at my disposal just in case. Also if my boyfriend isn't running he now knows to go get me a chocolate milk when I text him that I'm in the last mile stretch that way I won't have to go looking for one again.
That is good. Im just one of those guys that never relies on the vent or organizers to supply me with what I need. e.g. fluids on the course when Im ready for them. I am like a boy scout in running gear and a water belt. I have money, ID, chap stick, small Vaseline, nutrition and of course, 2 water pods with water and powerade.

One thing I have observed about Disney Races - they have more first aid than most other races because they draw more people who are there for the fun of it all and their first big race. The first marathon I ran that wasn't a Disney event, I went looking for some biofreeze at the halfway mark and there was none. They hadn't run out - they just didn't provide it. LoL That is a luxury we take for granted at Disney races!

I hear what you are saying, wilkeliza. In my limited experience, what you describe is not uncommon at organized races. From what I hear about the humidity in your race, it is not surprising that more people than expected were having a tough time of it.
Doug, you know we run in bad conditions down here and it was pretty bad. I have run in worse, but it was bad humid.

MKCP 1985

And I agree with taking my own fluids so I can either hydrate at a set interval of time (every 45 minutes) or when I feel thirsty, and not rely on the water stops. For runners in the second half of the pack, I have actually seen races where they run out of water or cups!

wilkeliza

And I agree with taking my own fluids so I can either hydrate at a set interval of time (every 45 minutes) or when I feel thirsty, and not rely on the water stops. For runners in the second half of the pack, I have actually seen races where they run out of water or cups!

They ran out of powerade cups at WWoS and when we passed (Corral D) and they refused to put it in a water cup so there was only water. I know it is a sponsorship thing but seriously sponsorships should not override us getting the fluid we prefer. That was one of the miles I should have done powerade over water but I was stuck with just water.

They also were running out of cups as we got closer to the end so they would take down the tables and only use 1 set of people giving out water/powerade so the backups just got worse and worse at the hydration stations as we got further on.

joel_maxwell

Outstanding!! Wish I could have been there!
You were missed. i might not be sitting here right now if you had been in town. Between you, me and Coryna, I know that we would have convinced this MnG crowd to do something crazy afterwards... like jumping off the bridge on Buena Vista Drive into the ferry passage from DHS to SnD. Because you know, at the time, it would have sounded like the best idea to celebrate! Something stupid like that.

Kristia

Once we got to the main gate when Corral A emptied, it was 30 more minutes of hanging out. Once the gun went off, here again, I was AMAZED at how many people either A) checked up and started walking right out of the gate and B) got 1 mile into it and had to walk causing huge traffic problems. It really is frustrating when people get themselves into a higher corral when they shouldnt be. They are in place for a reason. Im not trying to be an elitist since Im a little faster then these people, but when a crew of 2-3 people are walking or running a 16:00 pace in a corral that is between a 6-9 min pace, it causes problems.
This was soooooo driving me crazy at our last half marathon! We run through the start and then a whole group of people just start walking 5 wide across the road! Grrrrrr! I am not fast by any means but I do better than the required pace and I don't lie when I fill in my anticipated finish time. I was passing people that clearly should have been way behind me in corrals. For the Rock'n'Roll half, we were in Corral 19. In my finish pictures, I am finishing with people who were in Corrals 5-9. I know I did not make up that much time! I guess MAYBE it could be their first race and they signed up way ahead of time and didn't know how fast they could run or I know that sometimes things happen and you can run your best but......ugh. There seem to be too many for that to be the case all the time.

JillC LI

That is good. Im just one of those guys that never relies on the vent or organizers to supply me with what I need. e.g. fluids on the course when Im ready for them. I am like a boy scout in running gear and a water belt. I have money, ID, chap stick, small Vaseline, nutrition and of course, 2 water pods with water and powerade.

That's me too.

Really enjoyed reading everyone's race reports. Glad the overall feeling of the race was positive despite the heat/humidity and poor electornic communication before and after the race.

joel_maxwell

That's me too.

Really enjoyed reading everyone's race reports. Glad the overall feeling of the race was positive despite the heat/humidity and poor electornic communication before and after the race.
Yes, i think we all enjoyed it. I know that there are some logistics of the route that people (including me) dont like, but it is what it is and we all know that we are going to do the following on a Dsiney course so we might as well accept it:

1) Run on Osceola Parkway for at least a few miles.
2) Run on a entrance ramp that has a killer grade embankment. Rocks my IT bands.
3) Have 180 degree turn around
4) Park gates to run through with speed bumps and warning announcements "Caution runners, speed bump ahead" repeat every 2 seconds.
and lastly...
5) Since it is a Disney event, people come out of the wood work to do them, and they arent always the smartest runners e.g. stopping in the middle of a water station to drink fluids and putting yourself in corral A when you should be in Z (these two happen in all events too)

My elevation gain was only 54 feet. Like I suspected, something else was up with my body since I was a little sore the next day and I usually run longer distances with 500-1000 feet of elevation change.

joel_maxwell

Nice little conversation going on over at runDisney facebook page started by our very own MKCP 1985. Come on down Doug..... :D Sorry, I didnt want to get into that argument, but im tired of a "Everyone gets a trophy" society we have created here recently in this country. I probably shouldnt have brought it up here, and Ill be glad to delete this post if Steve wants me too.

We all bust are A$$. If we come up short, well, get out there and try harder. It only makes you a better person.

MKCP 1985

from the facebook page response at Run Disney, it seems prevailing sentiment might be that medals are for those who show up and put forth any effort, and those who feel differently are just mean people.

it seems we live in a world where fudging finish times to get an earlier corral or walking 5 wide without concern for those behind you, and getting finisher medals when you don't finish the race is just the way things go.

i do think the finisher medal is a reward for the accomplishment of completing the race and not just trying, but if my opinion is the minority view, so be it. runDisney could just put the finisher medal in the race packet for pick up before the race and save a lot of trouble of finding volunteers to distribute them at the finish line.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
You were missed. i might not be sitting here right now if you had been in town. Between you, me and Coryna, I know that we would have convinced this MnG crowd to do something crazy afterwards... like jumping off the bridge on Buena Vista Drive into the ferry passage from DHS to SnD. Because you know, at the time, it would have sounded like the best idea to celebrate! Something stupid like that.

Dude, I would have run the race 3 times, chugged beer, and gone on a run in the middle of the night to Downtown, eat butter bread pudding at Raglin, and jumped into the water. If I were there, we might have all been banned from WDW forever :D

DisneyRunner

runDisney could just put the finisher medal in the race packet for pick up before the race and save a lot of trouble of finding volunteers to distribute them at the finish line.
:D Too funny.
Here is a picture of my sister and me, just to prove we ran the race. I'm in purple.
tot10miler099.jpg

We didn't make the M&G, because I was so confused as to where I was in the scheme of things. DHS is not my families favorite park.

joel_maxwell

:D Too funny.
Here is a picture of my sister and me, just to prove we ran the race. I'm in purple.
tot10miler099.jpg

We didn't make the M&G, because I was so confused as to where I was in the scheme of things. DHS is not my families favorite park.
Cute Picture! Congrats on your race and having some Disney fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom