The Surprise! We're going to Disney. Here's a cookie, now get in the car. TR + A One Day bonus?

Hello All!

Avid reader, who had to take a break for a few months due to a self imposed 'Disney break.' But now I'm back and lurking more than ever! :D Here's the most recent photo of my family. I'd say it sums us up quite nicely:
546866_10200091107905686_2035552747_n.jpg

Ha! :D
I am so excited for another year of WDW and all the fun that comes with traveling to the World. From May of 2011 to May of 2012, we had an unexpected 'year of Disney' due to some planned and some unforeseen circumstances. When we walked out of the gates of AK in December of 2010, we fully expected not to set foot in a park again until February of 2012. But there were other forces at work that led to us purchasing our first ever AP's on May 1, 2011. It turns out I'm one of the luckiest ducks out there because - after doing the math (over and over and over- Man! Disney makes those numbers tricky!) - we were able to purchase our second set of AP's last month. We had an additional trip planned for September of this year already, so once we did the math, it made more financial sense to invest in an AP, rather than buy tickets for both trips separately.

Anywho :) - this AP purchase wasn't planned either - we had no idea 8 months ago that this was coming! As I said, we were taking our 'Disney break.' We were making the most of it too! This summer we saw so many cool things - including driving Route 66 (or what's left of it?) from Chicago to St. Louis:
561180_4316166507583_640044858_n.jpg

(one day we hope to pick up where we left off and head to Disneyland! I guess some people would tell you Route 66 leads to LA, but we Disney lovers know better right? :D)

It was around 8 months ago that some of our dearest friends mentioned they were going to take a trip to WDW. "Hmmmmm......" we thought. If there's one thing we've learned - Disney is always twice the fun with friends! Was there really any way we could let them go without us? We might die of jealousy - Ha! :D When we learned their parents (who were traveling with them) would be departing mid way through the trip, we knew it was 'meant' to be!

Now - we decided to keep the trip a surprise from the kids because - as always- you have to be sure the money all lines up. This particular trip was due to be paid off December 22 - not the best timing? Since we had kept the secret until December, we decided - why not just keep the secret a little longer and surprise the kids?! So that's what we did!

We were able to take advantage of the Stay, Play & Dine package, saving us enough to cover the cost tickets to fly into MCO. It was a super short trip, so it seemed to make the most sense to fly!

On the morning of the trip, the kids woke up to find this box:
DSC_0308.jpg

wrapped up in another box and tied with a big red bow. (Sorry no picture of the big box - I was running around like crazy getting ready the night before! - just imagine the Mickey wrapping paper - ok? :)

My husband and I woke up first and woke the kids up, telling them "Someone left a surprise for you in the kitchen!" They unwrapped the box to find this message inside:

DSC_0309.jpg

And of course, the box was filled with those fabulous cookies made by a sweet friend. Aren't they amazing?!
DSC_0313.jpg

After all the jumping around and excitement, we really did say, "Here's a cookie, now get in the car!" We had no time to waste. We had to get to the airport to catch an early flight.

Raven66

Enjoying the trip report. Your son asking Cinderella to dance was the sweetest thing I've read in awhile. What a polite young man.:) Can't wait to read more.

ExtinctJenn

Love it so far! Love the way you broke the news too... that's fantastic! Your daughter is absolutely beautiful and the pictures of your son dancing with Cindy are just priceless! We too did the "live in the moment" idea for our trip two weeks ago (and it's what lead to the "Wait, what did we do again?" trip report - funny how not taking photos every 30 seconds makes you forget what you did and when). :D

Pooh'sBuddy

Our friends have 3 boys, so this was our only princess meal. I really booked it for my daughter, but it turned out to be one of the best memories of my son at WDW. Funny how things work out like that.

It was time for the royal dance. They have changed it up - it used to be everyone could come to the middle and dance with Cinderella and Prince Charming after they danced together. I guess that was too crowded, which kind of makes me sad, but I guess everything must change. Now, Cinderella and Prince Charming each choose one person to dance with and they dance the entire time. Cinderella was near our table when the dance music began. She invited a boy at the table next to us to dance - he was probably 4 or 5 and he refused, too embarrassed to even look up. I think my sweet son was worried Cinderella might be left out, because he immediately stood up and offered to dance with her. Ha! :D

I asked him what they talked about. They were having a 'manners luncheon' at his school for his grade the week after we got back from WDW. My son said he used some of the conversational manners they were teaching him at school. Which cracks me up because I think they taught to ask like, "Where did you grow up?" and to compliment someone - as in, "I really like your dress." I still giggle every time I think about it.

That is so priceless! Fun times! :)

WishIWasAtWDW

Loving the trip report!! Those cookies are super cute! And I love how you surprised your kids. Hahaha "Here's a cookie, get in the car!" Hilarious! How exciting to think you have to go to school and then find out you are going to WDW! It makes me excited thinking about it. I love the story of your son dancing with Cinderella and asking her those polite questions. Adorable. Can't wait to read the rest!

erstwo

Original Poster
Enjoying the trip report. Your son asking Cinderella to dance was the sweetest thing I've read in awhile. What a polite young man.:) Can't wait to read more.

Thank you! I think he really did think Cinderella might have been embarrassed at being turned down. :) But we all know Cinderella is never going to be without a dance partner since she is, well - Cinderella! But it was the sweetest thing. :)

Great report so far. can't wait to read about the Flower & Garden festival!

Thank you! I can't wait to see it. We were so lucky to see it in 2011 - it was beautiful! Crossing my fingers for good weather.

Love it so far! Love the way you broke the news too... that's fantastic! Your daughter is absolutely beautiful and the pictures of your son dancing with Cindy are just priceless! We too did the "live in the moment" idea for our trip two weeks ago (and it's what lead to the "Wait, what did we do again?" trip report - funny how not taking photos every 30 seconds makes you forget what you did and when). :D

Thank you! I saw that TR title! I thought, "I should have thought of that one!" because I really am sitting here thinking..... now what did we do next?

That is so priceless! Fun times! :)

Thank you!

OMG...You totally left us hangin'!! Did you make it???

Ha! I am (hopefully) about to post the rest of Day 1. I helped out a friend and watched a sweet little one this morning. Babies are so fun to love on (especially when you can give them back at the end of the day - :D) but they require a lot of attention. Hopefully I'll have it posted in a minute.

Loving the trip report!! Those cookies are super cute! And I love how you surprised your kids. Hahaha "Here's a cookie, get in the car!" Hilarious! How exciting to think you have to go to school and then find out you are going to WDW! It makes me excited thinking about it. I love the story of your son dancing with Cinderella and asking her those polite questions. Adorable. Can't wait to read the rest!

Thank you! It really was so fun. I don't know if we'll ever be able to pull it off again. I honestly couldn't believe my son didn't catch on, we said something about the trip in front of him at least once every two weeks. Normally his ears would have perked up at the mention of WDW, but for some reason, he was totally surprised. Hopefully more soon!

Love the cookies! Can't wait to see more!

Thank you! & Thank you for reading!

erstwo

Original Poster
Our friends texted that they had left Chef Mickey's and headed straight for a bus back to Pop Century. They arrived on the previous Friday, so they were mid trip at this point and exhausted. They hit the Disney 'wall' and were ready for an early bedtime that night.

It worked out well for us, because we battled with the decision to watch Illuminations with our friends or see the new Test Track by ourselves. We'd only have time for one and that's if we were lucky.

We took the resort loop to the TTC and transfered to the Epcot monorail. We literally ran all the way down the exit ramp at Epcot (we weren't the only ones!) just trying to make it in before they closed the gates. A few finger scans and one bag check later and we were back in the parks!!!!

It was a perfect night too! We ran all the way to Test Track, making it in about 5 minutes before 9.

The new queue certainly is sleeker looking. Not sure I like the carpet..... carpet plus 1 billion visitors a year = gross to me, but that's just my OCD talking I guess. Plus the didn't ask me? :)

IMG_3481.jpg

We walked right up to the final queue area, so we really didn't see much of the pre-show pre-show. (There really is a pre-show pre-show you know.... or maybe I should call it an interactive queue before the interactive queue? Either way :D)
IMG_3482.jpg

We waited about 30 seconds and then walked right in.
IMG_3483.jpg

This was really neat. Knowing nothing about what waited beyond the doors, I assumed there was no way they could make everyone's car 'look' like the actual car we were designing. But it is Disney, so you never know....
IMG_3486.jpg

My kids l-o-v-e-d it. They were sad because we were a little rushed since it was the end of the night and the line was short.
IMG_3485.jpg

It was a little confusing once we were allowed into the loading area. We really weren't sure what to do with our 'keys' - should we tap them in each row as we move up? Should we wait until we are the next ones to load? We weren't sure.

As you all probably know, the actual ride hadn't changed much. Still love that open stretch of 'high'way! :D

This night, we were in a hurry to get outside and catch the tail end of Illuminations, so we didn't interact much with the post show. Later in the week, we did get to hang around and we found it to be awesome. My son and his friend had the most fun of all with it I think.

I think we stood at the exit of the World Showcase and watched a few of the last moments of Illuminations and then made a beeline for the bus. Too late! I think everyone in the 'world' had decided to come to Epcot or at least end their night at Epcot since it was open the latest of any park. It was a looong line for Pop, but we probably didn't wait more than 45 minutes and there is that nice long curb to sit on along the back row.

Plus! We were in WDW! No time for sadness, we were pumped. Tomorrow was MK!
We went 'home' to Pop and went to sleep!

The next morning I was up before the sun:
IMG_3487.jpg

And just about everyone else! I think this was the morning none of the parks were opening until 9, so everyone was still sleeping. It works out well for me to be the first one up. IF (and it's a big if) I'm going to run, I'll do it at this time. I also eat breakfast so that by the time the kids and husband are up, I can send them down to the food court and have the whole room to myself while I get ready and pack up or things for the day. So much better for my sanity that way! :D

Next thing I knew, I was dressed and ready to go, the kids had eaten breakfast and our friends were waiting for us at the MK! They were having a farewell breakfast with their parents at the Crystal Palace. MK here we come!

We arrived just as the "Welcome Ceremony" was beginning. I picked the slowest line ever, but I love seeing that train pull into Main Street! Nothing could damper my mood. It was going to be a great day at the Magic Kingdom!

IMG_3488.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
Once we finally left today and entered the world of Yesterday, Fantasy, and Tomorrow - the first thing we stopped to see were the Welcome Ceremony characters returning backstage:
IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

I think I was actually on my way to the restrooms with my daughter when we were stopped by these 'bodyguards.' I was thinking the Main Street restrooms were to the left of Guest Services and wanted to use the stroller ramp. The are actually to the right. See what a year away does to your memory? :D

We stopped by to pick up our Sorcerer cards:
IMG_3491.jpg

We were together in the Hub for just a moment, and I got these pictures of my kids beside these statues:

IMG_3493.jpg

(it was the long awaited Cinderella wedding dress's first day in the parks!)

IMG_3494.jpg

My children have grown so much since we started traveling to WDW. One thing I wish we had were pictures of them standing in the same place each trip. It would be a neat side by side comparison.

Next up for us: Neeeeewwww Faaantasylaaaand!!! (said in my best Oprah voice) Whoop!

We walked straight past Belle's Enchanted Tales (which might not have been open yet? If it was it was a big mistake to walk by it because we never saw a wait less than 50 minutes for this attraction!) and straight into Be Our Guest. Sorry, no pictures - I think I was thinking "Oh, I'll take pictures Friday night, right?" Wrong. No pictures then either, but you've all seen the pictures correct? It's just as breathtaking as the photos make it out to be - gorgeous!

Next up - LeFou's Brew! We walked in and the first thing I saw was the large in your face poster promoting the $10 LeFou's Brew in a souvenir cup. $10?! Seriously? I was only going to get one at that price! Luckily I asked before ordering because it turned out you could order without the souvenir cup at a significant savings. We still only got one because we weren't sure how we would like the taste:
IMG_3497.jpg

We loved it! I wasn't into the mango foam, but my husband thought that was the best part. Works for me! Now he'll get twice the foam. :)

Decor = Awesome. Way to go Disney Peeps.

IMG_3495.jpg

We did a little shopping....
IMG_3498.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
Look at the time - and still no Gaston? Doesn't he know you never keep a princess waiting?
IMG_3499.jpg

Oh well - there were certain to be other folks glad to see this princess! We split up from the boys - they were headed to Space Mountain (I think?) and we were headed ever so slowly toward Frontierland.

Oh look! The 'Munks!!! Yay!
44300360236.jpg

44300360234.jpg

These guys know how to treat a princess:
44300360238.jpg

44300360237.jpg

44300360240.jpg

We said goodbye and walked a little further down the walkway - right into some unexpected Disney Magic!

erstwo

Original Poster
There was some kind of Hoedown going down in Frontierland. It was total coincidence that we were there, but we were excited.

First off - Hello Horace!!!

DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

They became instant friends. After a short meet and greet they started into a fun dance and they invited guests to participate:
44300360246.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

Erm.... hello Mr. Frontier Man on the left. Weren't you rather, um, 'charming' last night?
DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

Clarabell!!! Dear me. Do. not. get over excited and there by expose your Disney geekdom.

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

This guy stayed in character the whole way backstage. He was hilarious hiding behind things even when it was just he and his 'helper' nearby.
DSC_0382.jpg

Now it was time to meet up with our sweet friends! Yay!

Disneyfalcon

Erin! Welcome back! I was so excited to see your report!
Those cookies are beyond adorable. And how awesome that you pulled off the surprise!
Your son was so sweet to dance with Cinderella! I loved that!
Frontierland CM did look rather charming! :D
You hit the character jackpot!!

ExtinctJenn

My goodness between staying in Pop and starting your MK day with the Brew did we take the same exact trip? LOL!

I love the pictures of your daughter with Horace and Clarabel. SO sweet!

foreverbelle

OMG The story about your son dancing with Cinderella..how incredible is that! You had me pretty much in tears. I am such a sap. But you raised him right, even if he used up all his manners. LOL But what great manners.

And I agree with the allergies, both my son and I have them. And when they brought him out special ice cream, that he could enjoy=it was all I needed..he just kept thanking the waitress. It made me cry!!!

The pictures are fabulous, and I am glad you were able to live in the moment. Sometimes I think a lot of us get wrapped up in the trying to take as many photos as possible that we forget there are more important things then getting the absolutely perfect shot.

DisneyFan1003

Excellent report so far - and I love the cookie idea! I need to file that one away in my head for use on a future trip!!

Sounds like you had a blast...looking forward to the rest!

LizC

Sounds like a great trip so far. I love reading TR's where the trip is a surprise for the kiddos, and it sure seems like your kids enjoyed their surprise! Can't wait to read the rest.

erstwo

Original Poster
OMG! This is all so beautiful!! You have to send to Disney the photo of Cinderella dancing with your kid, because it deserves to be on a Disney Trip magazine! ;)

Awwww!!! That is just the sweetest - thank you! It was a memorable, magical moment that's for sure! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom