The Surprise! We're going to Disney. Here's a cookie, now get in the car. TR + A One Day bonus?

Hello All!

Avid reader, who had to take a break for a few months due to a self imposed 'Disney break.' But now I'm back and lurking more than ever! :D Here's the most recent photo of my family. I'd say it sums us up quite nicely:
546866_10200091107905686_2035552747_n.jpg

Ha! :D
I am so excited for another year of WDW and all the fun that comes with traveling to the World. From May of 2011 to May of 2012, we had an unexpected 'year of Disney' due to some planned and some unforeseen circumstances. When we walked out of the gates of AK in December of 2010, we fully expected not to set foot in a park again until February of 2012. But there were other forces at work that led to us purchasing our first ever AP's on May 1, 2011. It turns out I'm one of the luckiest ducks out there because - after doing the math (over and over and over- Man! Disney makes those numbers tricky!) - we were able to purchase our second set of AP's last month. We had an additional trip planned for September of this year already, so once we did the math, it made more financial sense to invest in an AP, rather than buy tickets for both trips separately.

Anywho :) - this AP purchase wasn't planned either - we had no idea 8 months ago that this was coming! As I said, we were taking our 'Disney break.' We were making the most of it too! This summer we saw so many cool things - including driving Route 66 (or what's left of it?) from Chicago to St. Louis:
561180_4316166507583_640044858_n.jpg

(one day we hope to pick up where we left off and head to Disneyland! I guess some people would tell you Route 66 leads to LA, but we Disney lovers know better right? :D)

It was around 8 months ago that some of our dearest friends mentioned they were going to take a trip to WDW. "Hmmmmm......" we thought. If there's one thing we've learned - Disney is always twice the fun with friends! Was there really any way we could let them go without us? We might die of jealousy - Ha! :D When we learned their parents (who were traveling with them) would be departing mid way through the trip, we knew it was 'meant' to be!

Now - we decided to keep the trip a surprise from the kids because - as always- you have to be sure the money all lines up. This particular trip was due to be paid off December 22 - not the best timing? Since we had kept the secret until December, we decided - why not just keep the secret a little longer and surprise the kids?! So that's what we did!

We were able to take advantage of the Stay, Play & Dine package, saving us enough to cover the cost tickets to fly into MCO. It was a super short trip, so it seemed to make the most sense to fly!

On the morning of the trip, the kids woke up to find this box:
DSC_0308.jpg

wrapped up in another box and tied with a big red bow. (Sorry no picture of the big box - I was running around like crazy getting ready the night before! - just imagine the Mickey wrapping paper - ok? :)

My husband and I woke up first and woke the kids up, telling them "Someone left a surprise for you in the kitchen!" They unwrapped the box to find this message inside:

DSC_0309.jpg

And of course, the box was filled with those fabulous cookies made by a sweet friend. Aren't they amazing?!
DSC_0313.jpg

After all the jumping around and excitement, we really did say, "Here's a cookie, now get in the car!" We had no time to waste. We had to get to the airport to catch an early flight.

foreverbelle

Yipee!!! Another trip report from you.

I must say I love the cookies, they are absolutely adorable. Your friend did an outstanding job on them. And the surprise!

Looking forward to the rest....

And welcome back, I know I try and stay away from time to time especially after a trip. So hard to come down of the high. But glad to see you are back.

erstwo

Original Poster
We flew out of Atlanta. I found a fantastic Groupon for Peachtree Parking - can't say enough good things. I think we paid $18 for 5 days of parking. It was a mile from the airport property and we had indoor parking in this huge warehouse they had converted into a parking lot! The shuttle came right to our car and picked us up within seconds.

ETA- Look at these faces! Do these look like the faces of two kids who thought they were going to wake up and go to school that morning and instead got a trip to WDW or what?!:
IMG_3469.jpg

Before I knew it, we were sitting at the gate waiting for our flight to MCO! We flew Southwest and we hadn't done the early check in thing. The flight was very full, so we were a little worried we wouldn't be able to sit together, but it all worked out. We were just across the aisle from each other - 2 and 2 - perfect!
IMG_3471.jpg

Since we live close enough to drive to Orlando in a day, it has been ages since we flew to WDW. It was so, so, so, so nice. So nice. Did I mention it was nice not having to drive? :D
IMG_3472.jpg

Once we were off the bus, it was on to ME! We walked on - next stop Pop Century!

IMG_3473.jpg

We had originally booked AoA with our friends, but our friends were lucky enough to get a free dining pin - Yay!!! And we were lucky enough to get the Stay, Play and Dine discount - neither of which were offered for AoA - so it was Pop for us! But don't worry, we visited AoA often!
IMG_3474.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
LOVING THIS !!

I want one of them cookies and to get in the car and go to disney right now... :p

Can't wait for more x

I know! I miss those cookies! I guess I need to order more! Much more to come - I'm downloading Photopass pictures as I type! Going to wait for those before I continue. Thank you for reading!

Yipee!!! Another trip report from you.

I must say I love the cookies, they are absolutely adorable. Your friend did an outstanding job on them. And the surprise!

Looking forward to the rest....

And welcome back, I know I try and stay away from time to time especially after a trip. So hard to come down of the high. But glad to see you are back.

Thank you! Those cookies are amazing - it's a girl (well, a girl in her 20's! :D) who lives nearby and has started a small company selling them. I love buying from her for birthday parties, etc. She does such amazingly detailed work - I have no idea how she does it! Royal icing kicks my tail.

It is so hard to come down from the high! But it was a good break. I had promised my sisters in law in Texas for YEARS that we would come visit them - they have visited us several times - but every school break we somehow ended up in Florida. :cool::D So it was time to point the car/ airline tickets in a different direction. Soooooo glad to be back in the parks though!

HouCuseChickie

Yay! So nice to see a TR from you!!! That is a great coupon for the airport parking! I sooooo know what you mean about flying vs. driving. It's an expense, but the time saved is so nice! Also love how you pulled off the surprise. Can't wait to read more.:)

tiaragirl

YAY! I LOVE your TRs (one of the first I read when I joined). Your daughter has matured so much! And you have her dressed spectacularly.. hoping the bows stuck around with the new look!

Looking forward to this!

cfry06

The cookies are awesome! Fantastic surprise. Following along and look forward to it! I love your daughter's Minnie dress/outfit!!! So cute. Thank you for sharing your trip!

erstwo

Original Poster
How fun! I'm in.

Yay!

Yay! So nice to see a TR from you!!! That is a great coupon for the airport parking! I sooooo know what you mean about flying vs. driving. It's an expense, but the time saved is so nice! Also love how you pulled off the surprise. Can't wait to read more.:)

Thank you! It was a great deal - it really helped make it a little cheaper to fly than to drive, which is almost unheard of these days! I grew up driving everywhere, so I really don't mind it as much, but my husband grew up flying anywhere that was over 4 to 6 hours away, so it's harder for him. The kids really don't care either way - these days my son is face timing his friends while playing a game with them while we are driving down the highway at 70 mph. :confused: Amazing!
Much more coming!

Yay! What a great surprise! Those cookies look fantastic. Can't wait to read the rest :)

Thank you! Should be more to read soon!

erstwo

Original Poster
This is so funny! I can't wait to read more of your TR!

Thank you! Glad you are reading!

YAY! I LOVE your TRs (one of the first I read when I joined). Your daughter has matured so much! And you have her dressed spectacularly.. hoping the bows stuck around with the new look!

Looking forward to this!

Yay! -back at you! How's school? Are you all finished? I can't keep up anymore. :cool::) Congrats if you graduated while I was away!
She is SO grown up now. She dresses herself - no if',s and's or but's about it. Sadly, we have moved away from hairbows for the most part and have graduated to headbands - which leads to some....... interesting?..... hairstyles. Sigh. I try to tell her if she'll just let me keep doing her hair, one day she'll be thankful, but she has a mind of her own. I have no idea where she got her strong will. ;)

How awesome are those cookies?! Love em!! :)

Can't wait to read all about your adventures!!!

They are awesome! Thanks for reading!

erstwo

Original Poster
The cookies are awesome! Fantastic surprise. Following along and look forward to it! I love your daughter's Minnie dress/outfit!!! So cute. Thank you for sharing your trip!

Thank you! I bought that Minnie dress off of Etsy 3 or more years ago - we just keep wearing it. So great. It's more of a top now, but she still loves it, which makes me happy.
Thank you for reading!

Stinkin' adoreable cookies--and kids!! Looking forward to the rest!

Thank you for both! Much more to come!

erstwo

Original Poster
Okay - confession time - I was determined to live 'in the moment' on this trip. We were there to hang with some of our best friends, at one of our favorite places. I decided long before the trip that I wasn't going to be pulling out my phone every other second or lugging the camera around the parks. We were there to make memories and that's just what we were going to do. So.............. some of 'this part' of the TR will be a little sketchy. :D

BUT - the 'one day bonus' will come in next week when we visit WDW for two days/ one night. I think we will spend most of our time in Epcot. We want to see the Flower and Garden Festival as well as try out the 'Limited Time Magic' Easter egg hunt. On that trip I PROMISE to document every little detail - as much as possible - and make the end of this TR the best ever. So, let's just pretend that it's all good, even if I forget where we ate lunch....... or maybe forgot to take pictures of the best steak ever at Be Our Guest........(I knoooowwww.....:( - but I have such great memories even if I don't have pictures!!!) - okay? Okay.

Moving on......Where were we? Oh yes!

We arrived at Pop Century. Jumped off the Magical Express and right into the almost empty lobby. Almost everyone on our ME bus had gotten off at AoA, including a large group of teens with their chaperones - guess it really is the happening place to be! I didn't take any photos of the resort when we arrived - I think we've all seen it before right? But just in case here's one I took on the Friday of the trip (did I mention we arrived on Tuesday? Maybe not. We arrived on Tuesday. :D)

IMG_3575.jpg

When we stay at Pop, we ALWAYS stay in the 50's section. I love a lake view 50's section room. Now, as we are checking in, I overhear my husband telling the CM our friend's room numbers. Then I hear the CM say they are in the 60's section. THEN I hear my husband say - "We'd love to be near them." I wanted to yell, "Noooooooo!!!!" but knew it was no use. It did make sense to stay in the same section as our friends, but I just knew my worst nightmare - a room facing the Hippity Dippity pool was about to come true. I'm a light sleeper and teenagers and families at the pool until all hours of the night = not my favorite. (Good news though - downloaded a free white noise app and I was all good! :))

No pictures of the room, but good news - Mousekeeping did a great job, so there will be pictures of the room later.
We were due to arrive at MCO at 4:00, I figured we'd be in our room by 5:30 and given that I was dying to see New Fantasyland, I made dinner reservations at 1900 Park Fare for 7:20.

Our flight arrived early and ME was walk up, so we were in our room by 5. Our friends were at Chef Mickey's then planned to go to Epcot with their parents,to watch Illuminations. We told them we'd meet up with them after dinner.

One thing we noticed right away - the park hours were VERY limited. MK and Epcot closed at 9, DHS at 7! and AK at the usual 5. I told my husband we'd better go to our dinner reservation early if we wanted any hope of getting into a park before closing. So we hopped the next bus to MK from Pop and walked straight to the monorail. Grand Floridian here we come!
IMG_3477.jpg

I love the smells, sights, sounds of the GF in the evenings.

We checked in, got our buzzer and sat out in the lobby. All was well with the world. Since we were early, I decided to take my daughter upstairs and do a little shopping. She picked out a Minnie Mouse necklace:
IMG_3476.jpg

It was probably 7:05 to 7:10 when we finished shopping. Still no buzzer, but no big deal. Usually when we check in early, we are seated early - but no complaints since our reservation wasn't until 7:20. We waited, danced to the music, and waited, checked our email and waited. Finally at about 7:40 my husband went over to the check in desk. At this point, we were only beyond our reservation time by about 20 minutes, but had waited an hour.
The hubby came back with the answer - I guess Disney can see exactly when each table is seated, how long each table takes to eat, when each table leaves, when the next family checks in for that table AND how long that family has to wait for the table. At one hour, we were their longest wait by far. The family siting at our table had just left after being there for almost 2 hours! :eek:

We were quickly seated and we didn't even wait for our server to take our drink orders, we were hungry and trying to get to a park before closing - priorities people. :D

DSC_0314.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
Our friends have 3 boys, so this was our only princess meal. I really booked it for my daughter, but it turned out to be one of the best memories of my son at WDW. Funny how things work out like that.

It was time for the royal dance. They have changed it up - it used to be everyone could come to the middle and dance with Cinderella and Prince Charming after they danced together. I guess that was too crowded, which kind of makes me sad, but I guess everything must change. Now, Cinderella and Prince Charming each choose one person to dance with and they dance the entire time. Cinderella was near our table when the dance music began. She invited a boy at the table next to us to dance - he was probably 4 or 5 and he refused, too embarrassed to even look up. I think my sweet son was worried Cinderella might be left out, because he immediately stood up and offered to dance with her. Ha! :D

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

I asked him what they talked about. They were having a 'manners luncheon' at his school for his grade the week after we got back from WDW. My son said he used some of the conversational manners they were teaching him at school. Which cracks me up because I think they taught to ask like, "Where did you grow up?" and to compliment someone - as in, "I really like your dress." I still giggle every time I think about it.

Jose

OMG! This is all so beautiful!! You have to send to Disney the photo of Cinderella dancing with your kid, because it deserves to be on a Disney Trip magazine! ;)

erstwo

Original Poster
The rest of the meal was rather hurried - if I remember correctly, MK closed at 8 (8!) that night and our only hope of a park was Epcot which closed at 9. New Fantasyland would obviously have to wait.

The food was good as usual. I noticed more chefs than ever behind the counters answering questions. One boy at a table to the left of us was presented with a special allergy free cake that he was so excited about he started crying. I wish we had a heart symbol because I heart how much Disney does for those with special dietary requirements!

DSC_0334.jpg

The characters were amazing as usual.

Please note Prince Charming. We saw 'him' twice the next day in, erm.... different clothes?
DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

Funny thing about this picture, my husband loves Anastasia. He's danced with her before and he just always thinks her 'friends' are so funny. Well, he was returning from the buffet and jumped in this photo at the last second. Anastasia wasn't expecting it and it gave her quite the fright. She thought it was Drizella, and turned around to smack him, realizing just in time that it wasn't her 'sister.' Funny stuff.
DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

We paid our bill and we were off to the monorail(s) - with one thing in mind - Epcot and the new Test Track!
Would we make it in time.......
IMG_3480.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom