The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm just shocked by those who say "I already have 7 magicbands" or so number... wth it's not even been a year right?
I know lots of people around me still visiting Disney all the time... but I'm talking like once every few years or once a year. So when you aggregate across my view.. I see people going all the time. But individuals going THAT frequently in resorts?? No wonder Disney can charge these crazy prices.

If you do a split stay you get (at least we did) a new MB for each segment! and people wonder why margins are going DOWN.

Figments Friend

It's out there. Looks more like Littlest Pet Shop. Very shameless.

evb0ya.jpg

Although i am not a big fan of this blatant tie-in, i will say this :
Disney Marketing knows how to cash in on the Disney Princess franchise in interesting new directions.
Those directions sometimes are questionable to us old time *Walties*....but then again, most of us leftover old-schoolers are not the target audience for this stuff!
;)

They know full well kids will love just about anything connected to their favorite Princess, no matter how distant a connection that is.
They also know parents will pay out for those products.
The brand awareness and appeal of the Princess line is a powerhouse as we all know...and although the Palace Pets thing seems like a ridiculous direction, in one aspect it is marketing genius.

Kids simply adore those critters because of them being their favorite Princess*s pet.
If these were just released as is, with no association with the Princess line, i doubt it would have made a blip on the toy popularity spreadsheets.
These however seem to be a win for kids, particuarly the 5 to 8 catagory.

I had to see it to believe it at a couple of retail locations..as i had my doubts.
The plush toy line i am seeing rolled out at a certain retailer, and the popularity of it, showed me proof of concept.

You just have to love that brand marketing...

PeterAlt

CNN's domestic revenue continues to fall, which has been a major profit center for Time-Warner for many years, while CNN International has improved, it simply doesn't generate the same numbers as the domestic. Time-Warner has been looking at a CNN spinoff company and public offering for the past several years and the last I heard it might occur this year. The spinoff isn't a sign of health at CNN, rather being done for tax advantage attractiveness amongst other things.

CNN had revenue above where they should have for many years now as the premium that they charged for was based on their past ratings performance, sky high brand identity, and audience demographics. That ranged from the subscriber carriage fee by the cable/sat providers to advertisers. CNN no longer has that ability and it's one of the issues of the fallen ratings.

I have several friends working for them and CNN/Turner continues to be an excellent place of employment (minus the working them to death), but there are many, many issues within CNN. CNN is no profit center like the ESPN properties my friend, not even anywhere close.
Disney should grab it. Under ABC management, they could turn things around.

TinkerBell9988

Well, hello, Erica. Had no idea you had an account here ... although to be fair, I don't think there is a single WDW Tweeter that hasn't had one at some point.

First, you should nether be flattered nor alarmed. Your name came up in a search with other Lifestylers and judging from your Twitter page, I don't feel like I have somehow picked someone who has no real affinity for Disney and simply Tweeted something once and got snared in my diabolical trap!

I like lunch. And I have met some of my dearest friends from this very site. So, I am not opposed to meeting you at some point ... but I'd have to know you better. Feel free to communicate via PM here. I promise I will respond. I answer all notes, even hate ones. That's the professional in me.

I can't make a claim that you have any mental illness. Just don't have enough info. for a professional diagnosis!:D And I can't say i regularly follow your Twitter, I'm not sure I've seen it more than a handful of times.

And I love sarcasm. If it were an art, I'd be Van Gogh.

Sorry, you can't watch GH at the office. That could suck. Quite entertaining these days!

Erica, I sincerely wasn't mocking you. It's as simple as that. But if you're looking for an apology, you'll get an E-ticket in the MK first. ... I only apologize when I have done something I feel was wrong. And I don't here. ... Frankly, though, I'd love to see you posting more here (and invite all your 'crazy friends' in the Twitverse too!) ... and feel free to drop me a note anytime.

Hope you stayed dry today with that nasty weather!

Hi again Mr. '74,

I've had an account here longer than you've been posting these Spirited Sixth Sense threads... and trust, I was extremely active in the Glory Days of WDWMagic before Epcot Explorer broke the scene and the most controversial poster was General Grizz. :) I've also been watching GH since I was a wee one, and it is entertaining but not quite as entertaining as when Carly was played by Sarah Brown in the late 1990's. I still miss my One Life to Live.

Like I said, my post was originally meant for Captain Chaos and only partially meant for you. I don't mind if my tweets are posted elsewhere; my account is public after all, so anyone can read it and post my tweets where they wish. I was only offended when Mr. Chaos exclaimed that I needed a straight jacket and I was automatically thrown in the bunch with the "crazies", as you call them. Besides, I much prefer jackets from J.Crew. ;)

I do not seek any kind of apology from you - I'd actually appreciate if we could communicate to one another personally, especially since we live probably 15 minutes away from each other and share a load of interests aside from WDW (GH is just as important to me as the Vacation Kingdom!). You didn't do anything 'wrong', but I'm sure if I did not speak up here, the mocking from other members would have continued and perhaps you might have posted another tweet (or collection of tweets) from my timeline in your next edition of Fun With Tweets, and the mocking cycle would continue.

Speaking of Fun With Tweets - I have a great sense of humor (I am an actor, so comedic timing is my thing), but your Fun With Tweets series is really not fun. The reverse could be created from these message boards; I'm sure if I went on Facebook or Tumblr and copied and pasted the "craziest" posts from WDWMagic out of context, others would think the posters were "crazy", too. And some of those twitter users that you call "crazy" are actually my real life friends (yes, real life = I see these people on a regular basis, in and outside of the Parks). I can't say the same for any of my "friends" on WDWMagic who just exist to me as a username and not a face. :p

Thanks again for acknowledging my reply, I really appreciate it. The weather was dismal yesterday but by the time I left rehearsal, the brunt of it was over. Hopefully the weekend will be better - I'd love to hit the beach on Sunday! Enjoy your weekend, and I'll see you around the forums. :D

-e

alphac2005

Disney should grab it. Under ABC management, they could turn things around.

You're kidding, right? ABC "News" has done a great job with moving GMA into the top slot, but at the loss of supposed news, instead making it a gossipy chat show with some news. CNN is already a hunk of junk like that.

The only thing that was ever going to make CNN a real news organization again was the on-again, off-again merger with CBS News. I'm a little biased having family over there for many years, but that would have helped, at least as much as domestic news can be real news.

CNN can be easy summed up: Wolf Blitzer is their lead anchor. That says everything and it's no compliment to Mr. Blitzer or CNN. While they were in a tizzy over Ukraine and had breaking news coverage with Wolf, he just repeated the same two sentences every minute or two. Over on BBC News, it wasn't BREAKING NEWS!!!!!, rather a major news story with many angles and reporters. No repetition and they remained with their regular schedule unless a TRUE breaking development occurred. Lesson needed for our horrible domestic channels.

TinkerBell9988

Merf is highly intelligent and has some great perspective ... but he tends to blow up in psycho "I know it all'' rants, which is why he has been run off of every Disney site out there.

I also think he has way too much of a focus on EPCOT (and I am an EC fanboi through and through ... but you have to see beyond one park).

His internet persona is similar to his in-person persona, and that's all I'll say about that. However, I seriously think he and I would be great friends if he would stop periodically blocking me and allow me to talk to him in person. He's not a bad dude... I think. But yes, he does have some great perspective!

PeterAlt

You're kidding, right? ABC "News" has done a great job with moving GMA into the top slot, but at the loss of supposed news, instead making it a gossipy chat show with some news. CNN is already a hunk of junk like that.

The only thing that was ever going to make CNN a real news organization again was the on-again, off-again merger with CBS News. I'm a little biased having family over there for many years, but that would have helped, at least as much as domestic news can be real news.

CNN can be easy summed up: Wolf Blitzer is their lead anchor. That says everything and it's no compliment to Mr. Blitzer or CNN. While they were in a tizzy over Ukraine and had breaking news coverage with Wolf, he just repeated the same two sentences every minute or two. Over on BBC News, it wasn't BREAKING NEWS!!!!!, rather a major news story with many angles and reporters. No repetition and they remained with their regular schedule unless a TRUE breaking development occurred. Lesson needed for our horrible domestic channels.
CNN is a brand name that is like Xerox to copies. They could make it work better than TW has. TW has really screwed it up. More people are starting to get their news from foreign news sources like Alkajerz (sp?) or BBC because they don't trust US media sources any more.... Fox is too conservative... MSNBC is to liberal... CNN isn't serious any more... ABC is just about the only untarnished US source left, but doesn't have multiple networks dedicated to news. A CNN merger would take care of that.

TinkerBell9988

I know plenty of folks on Twitter, including a few quoted in this thread, who remember what the parks were like in the 70s and 80s and simply want to hold Disney to the standards it once set for itself.
Really not all that different from a lot of posters here. Same message, just from different messengers on a different medium.

Hey you! True. And everyone can get carried away on both mediums (Twitter vs. WDWMagic).

Ahhhh if only I could time travel to Captain Cook's Hideaway and listen to the Saltwater Express...

Fe Maiden

What a surprise Disney is back to its old trick of using Disney sports to draw in resort guest with the Disney fit challenge. Soon we will have a Marathon, Pop Warner, Cheerleading event every week. No need for new rides sporting events are cheaper and still puts people in resort rooms.

Let's not forget those PGA tournament scams they ran in the 70's and 80's with HOF'ers like Jack Nicklaus.

lebeau

CNN is a brand name that is like Xerox to copies. They could make it work better than TW has. TW has really screwed it up. More people are starting to get their news from foreign news sources like Alkajerz (sp?) or BBC because they don't trust US media sources any more.... Fox is too conservative... MSNBC is to liberal... CNN isn't serious any more... ABC is just about the only untarnished US source left, but doesn't have multiple networks dedicated to news. A CNN merger would take care of that.

ABC News? Untarnished? Since when?

Soarin' Over Pgh

?
You make a good point. Whatever happened to that blatant MLP rip-off themed around the princesses? Was it DOA? Coming this year? Shelved until any possible Hasbro deal is worked out?

Not entirely sure but very curious, no?

It's out there. Looks more like Littlest Pet Shop. Very shameless.

evb0ya.jpg

Hasbro just so happens to own Littlest Pet Shop. I think they own Monster High as well, but I might be wrong on that.

FWIW, my 4 year old daughter absolutely LOVES the Palace Pets... She's seen Littlest Pet Shop stuff and never had any interest. The Princess tie-in sells it for her.

Exactly. So if My Little Pony doesn't grab the kids attention, and LPS doesn't either, Princess Pets might just do it. There's also a solid dozen choices of alternatives for Barbie (Mattel) now as well.

Hasbro would be a good fit, IMHO.

Many years ago when I was part of the MLP community (you think Disney fanbois are bad, @WDW1974? You've never seen a group of women arguing and threatening bodily harm over a plastic horse with brushable hair!!!) 'we' called Hasbro "Hasbroken" because of their -at the time- very poor handling of advertisements and the bad quality of the toys themselves. I see they've changed the brand around and it's a very popular one now- good for them- but for a long stretch there, they didn't look so squeaky clean.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yes, but the Fox fanfare will be replaced by the castle and the Wish Upon a Star jingle.

Or this....

Welp, I must be the target audience because, aside from it being "DISNEY" and not "WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS" I love that.

I feel ashamed.
Hi again Mr. '74,

I've had an account here longer than you've been posting these Spirited Sixth Sense threads... and trust, I was extremely active in the Glory Days of WDWMagic before Epcot Explorer broke the scene and the most controversial poster was General Grizz. :) I've also been watching GH since I was a wee one, and it is entertaining but not quite as entertaining as when Carly was played by Sarah Brown in the late 1990's. I still miss my One Life to Live.

Like I said, my post was originally meant for Captain Chaos and only partially meant for you. I don't mind if my tweets are posted elsewhere; my account is public after all, so anyone can read it and post my tweets where they wish. I was only offended when Mr. Chaos exclaimed that I needed a straight jacket and I was automatically thrown in the bunch with the "crazies", as you call them. Besides, I much prefer jackets from J.Crew. ;)

I do not seek any kind of apology from you - I'd actually appreciate if we could communicate to one another personally, especially since we live probably 15 minutes away from each other and share a load of interests aside from WDW (GH is just as important to me as the Vacation Kingdom!). You didn't do anything 'wrong', but I'm sure if I did not speak up here, the mocking from other members would have continued and perhaps you might have posted another tweet (or collection of tweets) from my timeline in your next edition of Fun With Tweets, and the mocking cycle would continue.

Speaking of Fun With Tweets - I have a great sense of humor (I am an actor, so comedic timing is my thing), but your Fun With Tweets series is really not fun. The reverse could be created from these message boards; I'm sure if I went on Facebook or Tumblr and copied and pasted the "craziest" posts from WDWMagic out of context, others would think the posters were "crazy", too. And some of those twitter users that you call "crazy" are actually my real life friends (yes, real life = I see these people on a regular basis, in and outside of the Parks). I can't say the same for any of my "friends" on WDWMagic who just exist to me as a username and not a face. :p

Thanks again for acknowledging my reply, I really appreciate it. The weather was dismal yesterday but by the time I left rehearsal, the brunt of it was over. Hopefully the weekend will be better - I'd love to hit the beach on Sunday! Enjoy your weekend, and I'll see you around the forums. :D

-e

As much as I truly respect Spirit, I must agree with you on this. There's a very fine line between laughing with, and laughing at.

I applaud you for standing up and, without CAPS LOCKING and going all wild, presenting yourself and your point across perfectly without reducing to insults and negative comments.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Monster High is Mattel same as Barbie. I have two girls so I have spent more time with both brands than I care to admit.

I thought so but wasn't positive. I've bought several Monster High dolls (and scored a bag of them from a thrift store, ha!) for customizing purposes. But I didn't pay attention to the actual packaging or branding. Thanks for the correction :)

Goofyernmost

Which makes it overpriced to some. I'd argue to many. But obviously, there's enough suckers out there to keep the place afloat for now. ;)
To you suckers, to them worth the price. Do you no longer go there?

Again, which makes the decision subjective. Worth it to some, overpriced to others....

And let's face it, people who are not aware of the rise in room rates at WDW over the years are not going to know whether they're truly overpriced or not. So simply because people are willing to pay the rates doesn't mean they're not overpriced. It just means some don't know any better ...
Everything is overpriced to somebody. I think a Mercedes is overpriced, others find the value someplace. I could buy one but choose to not. Is that different in labeling between my feeling that I don't want to pay that much or someone that couldn't if they wanted too. Overpriced and unaffordable are two different situation, aren't they? If everything was affordable to everybody where would be the incentive to get an education, work long hours to get ahead and so on.

I don't think the Disney Parks are overpriced, expensive yes, but, not overpriced as long as I am willing to find the value. Disney Room rates are, in my opinion, sinfully overpriced and I will not pay for them. They offer nothing that I find worth the cost. Disney dining, to me, are very overpriced and I don't go to them. That is what I mean.

lebeau

I thought so but wasn't positive. I've bought several Monster High dolls (and scored a bag of them from a thrift store, ha!) for customizing purposes. But I didn't pay attention to the actual packaging or branding. Thanks for the correction :)

I only noticed because last year I was cleaning up all the girls' Christmas stuff. I was assembling the Barbie Dreamhouse, etc. And I had to admit, the little details were really exceptional. It reminded me of Disney when they are on their game. The details told a story. So then I was straightening up all the Monster High stuff. And I saw the same attention to detail albeit with a different flavor. So I looked and sure enough, it was also a Mattel product. I had always assumed the two lines were competitors. There are now some knock-off Monster High products and I'm willing to bet Hasbro has one.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
To you suckers, to them worth the price. Do you no longer go there?

Everything is overpriced to somebody. I think a Mercedes is overpriced, others find the value someplace. I could buy one but choose to not. Is that different in labeling between my feeling that I don't want to pay that much or someone that couldn't if they wanted too. Overpriced and unaffordable are two different situation, aren't they? If everything was affordable to everybody where would be the incentive to get an education, work long hours to get ahead and so on.

I don't think the Disney Parks are overpriced, expensive yes, but, not overpriced as long as I am willing to find the value. Disney Room rates are, in my opinion, sinfully overpriced and I will not pay for them. They offer nothing that I find worth the cost. Disney dining, to me, are very overpriced and I don't go to them. That is what I mean.
I'm not really going to pursue this any further, but who said anything about "unaffordable?" I've simply maintained that resort prices at Disney are overpriced to some, and not to others....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom