The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

FigmentJedi

@WDW1974 What's been bothering me with Ricky lately is that he started of as a family friendly "brand advocate". Then he slowly started branching off to places like Universal and Sea World. I was ok with this since they were tangental to Disney. Then, he went off the deep end. Lately, he has been all about horror and gore, zombies, co-play, sexy haunted mansion maids. He diverted so much from his brand, that he had to create a site within his site just to hold the "off color" content. TO me, that's a problem.

He says the new content is separate, but he retweets it using his personal or ItM twitter account. He posts it with his ItM facebook account. Even thought he says it's separate, I still see it even when I'm not following those "off color" pages. I actually had to BLOCK OutsideTheMagic so I wouldnt see it any more. That's a major branding issue, to the point I almost unfollowed his ItM accounts.
Yeah you need separate channels and stuff for that sort of thing. Just look at the youtube channel the Extinct Attractions Club guy put together: It's half his old documentaries he can't sell any more and half videos of Krav Maga competitions he's been in that nobody gives a crap about.

tahqa

so, time to visit Mexico as "foreign port" then back to Cali instead of vancouver?

Mexico doesn't count as a distant foreign port. The rules are different for when you're leaving from a US port and returning to the same port (closed loop cruise) than for when you are leaving from one US port and returning to a different US port. On the east coast the closest distant foreign port is Aruba. So a foreign flagged vessel that was leaving from, say, Port Canaveral, and repositioning to, say, Miami would have to go to Aruba first. I don't know the closest distant foreign port on the west coast, but it's not in Baja California. This is why cruise ships sometimes reposition without paying passengers. On a dead-head cruise these particular laws don't apply.

asianway

Except forum posters here do not get to control who gets to say what. Dissenting opinions are given equal footing to make their case to the common reader. Posters face each other and while they can chose to ignore people, they can not prevent others from being heard. It is an equal ground where you must face your detractors - you can't run from them.

But that is why these people have abandoned forums and flocked to twitter. Even though twitter was intended to be a fully public open medium - over time they have added tools to combat harassment. Tools, this group of Disney fans use to not combat harassment but instead shape the world as they want it to be seen.

They like twitter because they can be seen as public, and broadcast their views to everyone, yet still selectively decide what reality looks like. They use the tools designed to combat harassment, but instead use them to shape how they want their tweets to be seen and who they have to face.

On twitter, they mute to ensure dissent is not seen by them or in their twitter responses. They use mute or block as a way of trying to force the world to be as they want it to be. They get to selectively read and control the presentation. The result is a self-feeding cycle of only positive feedback and a view that everyone is as you do. It's a false world.

They strengthen their beliefs by surrounding themselves with like minded folks and collectively shun those that would oppose them. You might say some do the same here.. but it's not the same because the forum is neutral turf and the poster can not create the sole reality they want. Their threads and posts can not exist in isolation. Posts are taken in context along with the content provided by other members - you can't isolate yourself but instead must be able to face both positive and negative feedback. You'll find a common behavior in the Disney twittersphere which is retreating to twitter to talk about someone rather than facing that someone. They'll even do it in twitter by talking about other users without tagging them. It's that exact catty, yet unable to face people that helps fuel their juvenile behavior.

Most of the Disney twittersphere are no longer active on forums. I'd speculate it is because they can't control the content like they can in their twitter bubble.

Case in point.. look at these tweets
https://twitter.com/BrianPMiles/status/473586669967265792
@BrianPMiles
On social media you control who you interact with. You are given many tools to avoid interacting with people who aren’t your cup of tea.

https://twitter.com/Illusion0fLife/status/473692393774907393
@Illusion0fLife
Today has reinforced my belief that I'm following all the right people. You guys are awesome.
I've wondered about that-will twitter delete pretty much anything you ask them to? There's a lot of people who babble nonsense yet never get challenged

Cesar R M

Except forum posters here do not get to control who gets to say what. Dissenting opinions are given equal footing to make their case to the common reader. Posters face each other and while they can chose to ignore people, they can not prevent others from being heard. It is an equal ground where you must face your detractors - you can't run from them.

Hold the phone right here!; you're claiming that twitter somehow does not let you be heard or have equal footing.

While they can have their little echo chambers enclosed, you can still have your own twitter open and be heard (be found by other people.. of course is a little trickier).

Regardless if they have you ignored or blocked, you can still link comments on twitter for others to see. it isn't as easy to see as on a forum with a thread system... but both for sure require a) searching (in the forum case, they have to find the forum.. in the twitter case.. they have to find the the hashtag, conversation or people they want to follow)

Now, if someone set up a tight controlled forum with moderators who think the same as them.. its equally the same (or even worse) as your Twitter echo chambers.

I have been on forums(which I left quickly) like that, that had so tight groups.... they didn't allow anyone with a different opinion ruin their "group hug" group.. by promptly banning anyone who tried to to post something the "group hug" club disliked.

But that is why these people have abandoned forums and flocked to twitter. Even though twitter was intended to be a fully public open medium - over time they have added tools to combat harassment. Tools, this group of Disney fans use to not combat harassment but instead shape the world as they want it to be seen.

They like twitter because they can be seen as public, and broadcast their views to everyone, yet still selectively decide what reality looks like. They use the tools designed to combat harassment, but instead use them to shape how they want their tweets to be seen and who they have to face.

On twitter, they mute to ensure dissent is not seen by them or in their twitter responses. They use mute or block as a way of trying to force the world to be as they want it to be. They get to selectively read and control the presentation. The result is a self-feeding cycle of only positive feedback and a view that everyone is as you do. It's a false world.

But this is true on any method that has antiarrasement tools, block of ignore functions.
Be Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, forums.. All them can be abused if allowed.

being muted from a tiny conversation group shouldn't be affecting you or your ability to talk about the same theme in parallel.
Even if you're muted you can still talk and link comments and replies (Unless they changed that recently?)
As far I know you can still reply them with your negative opinion and with your own hashtags.. they will see it? nope.. (but that would be the same as having someone on ignore in here), will others see it? OF COURSE!

They strengthen their beliefs by surrounding themselves with like minded folks and collectively shun those that would oppose them. You might say some do the same here.. but it's not the same because the forum is neutral turf and the poster can not create the sole reality they want. Their threads and posts can not exist in isolation. Posts are taken in context along with the content provided by other members - you can't isolate yourself but instead must be able to face both positive and negative feedback. You'll find a common behavior in the Disney twittersphere which is retreating to twitter to talk about someone rather than facing that someone. They'll even do it in twitter by talking about other users without tagging them. It's that exact catty, yet unable to face people that helps fuel their juvenile behavior.

Most of the Disney twittersphere are no longer active on forums. I'd speculate it is because they can't control the content like they can in their twitter bubble.

Case in point.. look at these tweets
https://twitter.com/BrianPMiles/status/473586669967265792
@BrianPMiles
On social media you control who you interact with. You are given many tools to avoid interacting with people who aren’t your cup of tea.

https://twitter.com/Illusion0fLife/status/473692393774907393
@Illusion0fLife
Today has reinforced my belief that I'm following all the right people. You guys are awesome.

I agree on this but again.. this happen with any group or system.. its not the tool that you should be blaming.

As for talking about other people without tagging: anyone can do this in private forums or restricted forums, websites..etc..
We go back to the same.. the problem is the persons, not the tools.

If they wanted, they could have made their own private invite-only forum and you still wouldn't be able to do anything against it.
Childish? yes, of course!
Can you do anything about it? I dont think so, but its not like THEY CAN DO anything to whatever you do (other than insult and be immature about it of course, but then you can do it back too).

Just to clarify, my gripe is not your rant about these people who are deluded and blinded by their own perpetuated illusion; That I agree. My issue is you blaming the tool, in this case Twitter vs Forums.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Mexico doesn't count as a distant foreign port. The rules are different for when you're leaving from a US port and returning to the same port (closed loop cruise) than for when you are leaving from one US port and returning to a different US port. On the east coast the closest distant foreign port is Aruba. So a foreign flagged vessel that was leaving from, say, Port Canaveral, and repositioning to, say, Miami would have to go to Aruba first. I don't know the closest distant foreign port on the west coast, but it's not in Baja California. This is why cruise ships sometimes reposition without paying passengers. On a dead-head cruise these particular laws don't apply.
Wow, I did not know this.

thanks for clarifying!.

What would be a "foreign port" for the other side be?
Acapulco? or even lower?

I've wondered about that-will twitter delete pretty much anything you ask them to? There's a lot of people who babble nonsense yet never get challenged
Pretty sure that nothing gets deleted on twitter unless its racist, related to terrorism, child , or outright harassment with multiple accounts (to dodge the blocks), aka only abuse that is clearly "SEVERE".

TinkerBell9988

A Spirited Musing That Y'all Probably Won't Like:

But I think all the piling on of Mrs. Ricky's mealticket is a bit misplaced. Do I like the guy? No. Do I think he is a ***** willing to shill anything for the freebies that he is given, especially by WDW? Absolutely.

Do I think he is creepy? Yep. Do I find his feelings toward foamheads and gals playing dressup weird? Sure.

But I also think this was a weak attack on him. He made a childish joke (have you seen some of mine?) on his FB and someone, apparently that dead guy Card Walker, decided it was open season.

I'm sorry, but I don't see much wrong with what Ricky said. You have an issue with it? How about taking up a bigger issue: Disney making adults hanging out with foamheads and lining up for hours to ''meet Anna and Elsa'' a normal thing.

Ricky was just having fun. I don't agree with the way he has fun, but that is another issue.

There's a lot of creepy and strange behaviors in the ranks of Disney's BRAND advocates. And Disney is absolutely opting to look the other way as long as its social media consultants say these people have value. Rest assured that somewhere on a hard drive at Celebration Place rests the template of a PR statemen where Disney explains away its relationship with a pedophile Lifestyler/Blogger/Podcaster or one that gets blitzed at the Tambu Lounge and drives into a family of four etc.

The issue isn't Ricky having some fun and acting like an . The issue is why Disney places any value on him in the first place.

Agreed, 110%. Great perspective. I witnessed all the hullaballoo on twitter yesterday and I'm still shaking my head, even at those I consider 'friends'. Sometimes we all need to take a step back... This is the reason I stayed out of it yesterday; my real-life day was more important than fighting with strangers about Ricky Brigante's princess fetish.

Stevek

I think a good portion of that community is jealous of InsideTheMagic.

Jealous of the perks he receives? Highly likely. Jealous of RB as a person? Never in a million days would I want to be him or live his lifestyle. I could never let my life be 24/7 theme parks but I get it, that's where he makes his money...and how he makes any living at it boggles my mind.

I think the combination of jealousy and the fact that he comes off as a tool at times is why people jump on him. The average joe wouldn't get any heat for that comment...we're all likely guilty of things far more offensive. But the Rickster fails (or mabye now he does) realize that by putting himself out there & getting what he does from Disney, he is under the microscope for everything. Between the whiny Elsa/Anna meet and greet fiasco and now this, I can't believe that he's endearing himself to Disney either and that's the "Mighty Microscope" he should be most worried about.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Jealous of the perks he receives? Highly likely. Jealous of RB as a person? Never in a million days would I want to be him or live his lifestyle. I could never let my life be 24/7 theme parks but I get it, that's where he makes his money...and how he makes any living at it boggles my mind. And don't get me started on the other prominent Disney twitter personality that recently commented about his 1000+ trips to Disneyland. I just don't get it...doesn't hurt anyone but when is it too much?

I think the combination of jealousy and the fact that he comes off as a tool at times is why people jump on him. The average joe wouldn't get any heat for that comment...we're all likely guilty of things far more offensive. But the Rickster fails (or mabye now he does) realize that by putting himself out there & getting what he does from Disney, he is under the microscope for everything. Between the whiny Elsa/Anna meet and greet fiasco and now this, I can't believe that he's endearing himself to Disney either and that's the "Mighty Microscope" he should be most worried about.

Ricky actually runs a legitimate business beyond his Disney blogging/Podcast ...

http://www.lanyardlab.com/

tamotu99

Wow, I did not know this.

thanks for clarifying!.

What would be a "foreign port" for the other side be?
Acapulco? or even lower?

Essentially all of continental North America, and most of the Caribbean is counted as being near, that is why many panama canal cruise stop at ABC islands

alphac2005

@WDW1974 What's been bothering me with Ricky lately is that he started of as a family friendly "brand advocate". Then he slowly started branching off to places like Universal and Sea World. I was ok with this since they were tangental to Disney. Then, he went off the deep end. Lately, he has been all about horror and gore, zombies, co-play, sexy haunted mansion maids. He diverted so much from his brand, that he had to create a site within his site just to hold the "off color" content. TO me, that's a problem.

He says the new content is separate, but he retweets it using his personal or ItM twitter account. He posts it with his ItM facebook account. Even thought he says it's separate, I still see it even when I'm not following those "off color" pages. I actually had to BLOCK OutsideTheMagic so I wouldnt see it any more. That's a major branding issue, to the point I almost unfollowed his ItM accounts.

The idea of Ricky and adult topics & themes is something that I don't want to picture in my head.

michmousefan

I used to enjoy drinking at Tambu, but it has become overrun by the stroller brigade and I don't like having to watch my language or my step because people want to bring their kids to a bar.
That's the key reason why I'm worried about the Trader Sam's addition. Would be great if they limited access to those of "child" age (ages 3-9). I bet they won't do it; the mommy bloggers wouldn't stand for it.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I don't know what the threshold is for intervention by twitter... but it's not needed to control how your profile and followers see things. UserA can mute or block UserB, and no UserB activity will appear in UserA's profile or timeline. UserB can not penetrate UserA's bubble -- only talk about UserA in parallel outside the bubble. So unless the 3rd party is following UserB (or searching), a 3rd party does not see UserB posting or responding to UserA.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hold the phone right here!; you're claiming that twitter somehow does not let you be heard or have equal footing.

It is different. In a forum... if UserA starts a thread... they can not stop UserB from replying to that thread. They can chose to not see UserB... but a 3rd party reader will see both UserA and UserB posts.

In twitter, if UserA tweets, they can prevent UserB's responses from being seen with their tweets. A 3rd party reader following UserA, will not see UserB's replies. UserA is able to create a bubble that only includes what they want to see and what their followers see.

UserB can have a conversation independent of UserA... but the 3rd party will not see it unless they explictly seek out UserB's tweets - it's kept isolated from UserA.

Regardless if they have you ignored or blocked, you can still link comments on twitter for others to see. it isn't as easy to see as on a forum with a thread system... but both for sure require a) searching (in the forum case, they have to find the forum.. in the twitter case.. they have to find the the hashtag, conversation or people they want to follow)

Yes, you can have a separate discussion, but not intertwined with the first discussion - counter to how a forum works.

But this is true on any method that has antiarrasement tools, block of ignore functions.
Be Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, forums.. All them can be abused if allowed.

Generally - but we are talking about users and their choice of format... and the difference between what users can control on their own (vs being in cohoots with the Forum Admin, etc).

being muted from a tiny conversation group shouldn't be affecting you or your ability to talk about the same theme in parallel.
Even if you're muted you can still talk and link comments and replies (Unless they changed that recently?)
As far I know you can still reply them with your negative opinion and with your own hashtags.. they will see it? nope.. (but that would be the same as having someone on ignore in here), will others see it? OF COURSE!

The difference again is the 3rd party reader and where the conversations happen/seen.

I agree on this but again.. this happen with any group or system.. its not the tool that you should be blaming.

As for talking about other people without tagging: anyone can do this in private forums or restricted forums, websites..etc..
We go back to the same.. the problem is the persons, not the tools.
[...]
Just to clarify, my gripe is not your rant about these people who are deluded and blinded by their own perpetuated illusion; That I agree. My issue is you blaming the tool, in this case Twitter vs Forums.

I think you should go back.. you won't find me blaming the tool (in fact you will find me defending twitter and it's purpose against wdw1974 on many occasions). I'm talking about individuals, why they've settled in that tool and how they use it's features to create distorted views of the world.

Nubs70

Is this the Jones Act?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom