The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

doctornick

The wonders of life building will continue to remain a festival center as it makes more money as a festival center then it does as an actual pavilion.

That's the mentality of the good folks at parks and resorts… And it irritates the living crap out of me.

My thing is, though, why not both? Ok, leave the main WoL building as a festival center -- but why not use the (unused) Body Wars show space for a new ride? There's space there for a ride to be developed while continuing to has festival floor space available.

FigmentJedi

My thing is, though, why not both? Ok, leave the main WoL building as a festival center -- but why not use the (unused) Body Wars show space for a new ride? There's space there for a ride to be developed while continuing to has festival floor space available.
That just sounds impractical for a lot of reasons. Really, they should just make the old Millennium Village area the new Festival Center. It's in World Showcase like the rest of the festival activities, it has much more floor space and it's used even more sporadically.

DC0703

That just sounds impractical for a lot of reasons. Really, they should just make the old Millennium Village area the new Festival Center. It's in World Showcase like the rest of the festival activities, it has much more floor space and it's used even more sporadically.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that the Millennium Village area is falling apart and would need to be completely revamped to be used.

I've wondered if location isn't part of the problem for the Wonders of Life pavilion. It's set back a ways and easier to miss if you're not looking for it.

GiveMeTheMusic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that the Millennium Village area is falling apart and would need to be completely revamped to be used.

I've wondered if location isn't part of the problem for the Wonders of Life pavilion. It's set back a ways and easier to miss if you're not looking for it.

Well they use Millennium Village each Saturday night for Party for the Senses, so it can't be that bad.

PhotoDave219

They should gut Odyssey and use that for all special event Festival Centers. The WOL building is huge and everything in there is always so spread out. If they gutted the Odyssey kitchen and really reworked the building I think they could make it work.

They can't, it's already a special events pavilion for conventions & other people that rent the space

CDavid

The last thing I want to see is more Omnimovers and spinners.

That's just your opinion, which is fine (and certainly thrills have their place), but I would argue just the opposite. Too many of the big-ticket attractions from the late 90's and beyond have height and other physical ride restrictions; Walt Disney World's success, reputation, and nostalgia were not built on thrill rides.

One or two extra E tickets more or less around Splash Mountain's thrill level wouldn't be unwelcome if designed with that high level of Disney show quality. There's plenty of room to accommodate a lot of calm rides AND a couple of more thrilling ones as well.

If you are going to do something with a Splash Mountain level of thrills, offer an alternative ride path (or vehicle, etc.) for those seeking a more sedate ride experience. Something like riding Space Mountain via the PeopleMover, but obviously on a grander scale and more involved with the attraction experience.

There is nothing wrong with a Festival Center in Epcot, but it should be a purpose-built facility in an appropriate location (and not one of the World Showcase expansion plots, either). It should never take the place of a shuttered attraction (there were too few attractions in Epcot even with Wonders of Life).

Ignohippo

At this point, they simply need to create some kind of area that can be used year round for all of their rented special events. A building the size of WoL, a theater the size of Indy, etc., and an area to put whatever additional temporary tents/stages and get them all within one centralized location.

Having attractions like Indy and GMR for these things is just silly when TDO could setup an amazing state-of-the-art area for these things where everything is easily accessible and in one location.

Ignohippo

That's just your opinion, which is fine (and certainly thrills have their place), but I would argue just the opposite. Too many of the big-ticket attractions from the late 90's and beyond have height and other physical ride restrictions; Walt Disney World's success, reputation, and nostalgia were not built on thrill rides.

If you are going to do something with a Splash Mountain level of thrills, offer an alternative ride path (or vehicle, etc.) for those seeking a more sedate ride experience. Something like riding Space Mountain via the PeopleMover, but obviously on a grander scale and more involved with the attraction experience.

There is nothing wrong with a Festival Center in Epcot, but it should be a purpose-built facility in an appropriate location (and not one of the World Showcase expansion plots, either). It should never take the place of a shuttered attraction (there were too few attractions in Epcot even with Wonders of Life).

Agreed on all points.

Way back when New Fantasyland was being announced, the good folks on the amazing ImagineeringDisney blog came up with an outstanding concept of a Matterhorn-type ride that included a coaster of the adults and a mini-coaster for the kids. Both rides would be the same length, so the kids would get on at the same time as the adults and would get off at the same time too.

It was a great idea and Disney needs to do more of that type of thing.

Ignohippo

MK is slammed because animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios are not drawing the crowds away.

People are going to Magic Kingdom or some other wizarding place instead.

I think that parks and resorts has recognize this problem and is trying in the ways they know how to rectify it - try promotional stuff up first, and then as a last resort actually throw some money in the parks. Animal kingdom will be fine, I still think they need more animal programs but that's just me because people go to animal kingdom to see… Animals. Pandas, despite everybody's little dream there, will never happen. China will never let it happen… Although I think it would be fantastic if they did I mean we did build them at Disneyland in the middle of their capital city so giving us to pandas would be perfect… but with the avatar expansion in the rivers of lights and so forth, rentable kingdom (that was actually a voice to text error, but I'm not sure it was that much of a mistake) should continue to be a half-day to three-quarter day park.

The studios will likely based on everything we've seen happened in the past year, will become a giant construction project. It is desperately needed. The place needs a giant makeover and all signs are pointing to it happening. It's just going to take a bit of time.

Disney Springs? It's beginning to look good. Maybe I would see more of it if they would get the **** parking garage open so I can actually get my car in there without having to walk a mile first. Verdict is still out there… But despite the traffic nightmare, guests are still packing that place.

Agreed. However, besides more animal programs, what AK really needs is more things that distinguish it from any town's zoo.

If they added 3 or 4 Fantasyland-style dark rides to the place based on their animal movies (Lion King, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations, etc.) the place would explode. They could even do it on the cheap and create it for under $200 mil.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They should gut Odyssey and use that for all special event Festival Centers. The WOL building is huge and everything in there is always so spread out. If they gutted the Odyssey kitchen and really reworked the building I think they could make it work.
No, they should use it for its original intent. Feeding regular guests.

Less of a zoo at Electric Umbrella.

mahnamahna101

MK hasn't gotten a big-ticket attraction since 1992... and 85% of the park is all ages. It's the only park in WDW that actually could use some thrills. Every other park has too many height requirements. Fire Mountain, IJA, Bald Mountain, Monstro shoot-the-chutes, and a Tomorrowland E-ticket: add those 5 to MK and there's plenty of thrills for everyone. You could still add some all-ages stuff like a B&TB trackless dark ride or Western River Expedition. Maybe an Aladdin or Jungle Book E-ticket?

PhotoDave219

Do you honestly think the financial genius is that run this company could come up with that kind of a concept?

Mike S

Probably the tomorrowland speedway, which could be cool if they replaced the gas engines with electric drive systems, my eyes burn from the fumes whenever I walk by but I DO NOT want this attraction to go away
An upgrade would be great. MK has plenty of empty space for expansions. Whatever happens at that park next needs to utilize that free land. No more replacing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom