The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Next Big Thing

I think I'm the most upset about #2.
I don't think any of us should be that surprised about it though. It only took a year to build at HKDL, so once they get demo done, it'll be a fairly quick add, potentially mid-late 2016.

I'm not saying i'm happy if it is TSPL, but it will add capacity and rides (although the capacity of the rides is fairly bad) back to the park in what should be a fairly short period of time while the rest of the park redo is taking shape.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm sad they're going with carnival rides, but i'll be absurdly disappointed if that's ALL we're getting out of the "big overhaul" for DHS. A disappointing waste of space, time and money regardless. Is there even any good news about the park's future?

WDW1974 did however mention he had news that would bother both WDW and Universal fans, and a while back he said the executives at Uni were cutting budgets after Potter 2.0 didn't meet their unrealistically high expectations. I hope that he wasn't referring to Universal with the carnie rides.

Next Big Thing

I'm sad they're going with carnival rides, but i'll be absurdly disappointed if that's ALL we're getting out of the "big overhaul" for DHS. A disappointing waste of space, time and money regardless. Is there even any good news about the park's future?

WDW1974 did however mention he had news that would bother both WDW and Universal fans, and a while back he said the executives at Uni were cutting budgets after Potter 2.0 didn't meet their absurdly high expectations. I hope for Universal's sake that he wasn't referring to those parks in regards to carnie rides.
I highly doubt that's all the park will get, it seems like big things are still afoot. It just seems like a TSPL-type area may be one of the smaller things. Something to appease people while the big stuff gets built (and justify the park being open) if I had to guess.

MerlinTheGoat

I highly doubt that's all the park will get, it seems like big things are still afoot. It just seems like a TSPL-type area may be one of the smaller things. Something to appease people while the big stuff gets built (and justify the park being open) if I had to guess.
The troubling thing though is that all we know is they're in a "spending mood", supposedly anyways (this can always change). While the budget has been stated to be somewhere even above DCA's redo, this could always get downgraded throughout the construction process (which is certain to take years). Plans may not have even been finalized yet.

We could get a variety of new lands perhaps even with some nice theming here and there (Toy Story Playland isn't pretty but I would expect it's not the ONLY thing we're getting) but little to no decent ride content. Kind of like New Fantasyland, perhaps to an even lesser extent. People expect some good rides in this overhaul, just pretty scenery and carnie rides isn't nearly enough. But I could see it happening.

Sped2424

tspl_concept_highres.jpg

carnie rides ^ aka toystory chester hester area.

Next Big Thing

tspl_concept_highres.jpg

carnie rides ^ aka toystory chester hester area.
C'mon, it's better than Chester/Hester. I've seen ACTUAL carnivals that look better than Chester/Hester.

And let's not act like there isn't a place for these types of rides in the parks. The entire boardwalk AND a bugs land at DCA are basically all rides of this style. Also, i'd like to point out that everyone's favorite park that they've never been to, Tokyo Disney Sea, has a section of the park devoted to rides like this (Mermaid Lagoon). Jumpin' Jellyfish (basically what the green army men attraction is), Scuttles Scooters, Blowfish Balloon Race, The Whirlpool (teacups style attraction), and Flounders Flying Fish Coaster are a part of the area. I'll leave it to our world travelers on here who have experienced both to tell the difference in theme.

The point is, the areas exist and there is a place for them. There's a place for these types of rides in most parks, just as long as they aren't the main attraction and are highly themed. Things like this are meant as a diversion to help ease capacity from other rides or to give kids something to do as well.

Last edited:

John

I can see it now.......Iger runs into the WDI offices.....Team I want you to come up with the best themed carni land you can! No expense spared!....hahahahahahahahaha

Lord Darth Vader serving greasy corn dogs as our new dining offering. This is to easy. Hey @Next Big Thing all because it exist doesn't mean its right, or maybe its just me and I expect more from the leader of theme parks..... I dunno.

Next Big Thing

I can see it now.......Iger runs into the WDI offices.....Team I want you to come up with the best themed carni land you can! No expense spared!....hahahahahahahahaha

Lord Darth Vader serving greasy corn dogs as our new dining offering. This is to easy. Hey @Next Big Thing all because it exist doesn't mean its right, or maybe its just me and I expect more from the leader of theme parks..... I dunno.
I'm not saying I want it at all, but i'm saying it's easy to see why they'd do it. It's a fast build after demo (1 year in HKDL) and it'll help ease stress on existing attractions while the big boys are under construction.

That's just how I look at it. I personally don't think rides like that have no place. Look at MK. What is the Tea Cups if not themed properly? Just another carnival ride. The 3 spinner attractions in the park? Goofy's Barnstormer (don't try and defend it, the track is exposed and it's under 1 munute long)?

Like I said, it's not that I want these rides, but having worked in theme parks for the last 5 years, I understand that they help the park operate better and give people more things to do.

I do wish we would get more D/E's instead of this and maybe one D/E though.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

The carnie rides at MK didn't (originally) have an entire land dedicated to them like the super concentrated Toy Story Playland, Dinorama etc. Instead rides like the spinners were scattered sparsely and individually around the parks, not all clustered together and occupying large pieces of land (heck Astro Orbitor is even built on top of the Peoplemover loading area, taking up even less space than others). Their presence doesn't dominate the park, or even a particular area/land (prior to Dumbo moving over next to Barnstormer anyways).

The problem is discerning whether the carnie rides are going to heavily eat into the budget, and how many there are. Besides Toy Story Playland, even the other lands could be dominated by carnival rides. Something like an X-wing spinner for Star Wars or the lesser attractions from Cars Land (or worse, the awful Cars ride they built at Paris) just for examples.

From Spirit's post, it sounds like it might be kind of worrisome given that the carnival rides are all he commented on (from whatever info he's obtained). Again unless he's referring to Universal (i'm assuming he isn't). As a Disney fan, I think he'd at least hint at something positive if he had heard something. He's usually pretty fair about saying positive things alongside the negative, even though positives are becoming increasingly rare regarding WDW.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

The carnie rides at MK didn't originally have an entire land dedicated to them like the super concentrated Toy Story Playland, Dinorama etc. Instead rides like the spinners were scattered sparsely and individually around the parks, not taking up large plots of land with their presence (heck Astro Orbitor is even built on top of the Peoplemover loading area, taking up even less space than others). Their presence doesn't dominate the park, or even a particular area/land (prior to Dumbo moving over next to Barnstormer anyways).

The problem is discerning whether the carnie rides are going to heavily eat into the budget, and how many there are. Besides Toy Story Playland, even the other lands could be dominated by carnival rides. Something like an X-wing spinner for Star Wars or the lesser attractions from Cars Land (or worse, the awful Cars ride they built at Paris) just for examples.

From what Spirit said, it sounds a bit worrisome given that the carnival rides are all he commented on regarding whatever info he has obtained. As a Disney fan, I think he'd be at least hint at something positive if he had heard something.
Well, we'll see. It seems as though he'll be starting another thread soon so hopefully we get more info. I highly doubt we have to worry that all we are getting is TSPL. That just doesn't seem likely with all the real estate this expansion is going to take up.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not worried about TSPL being all we're getting, unless the budget has been absolutely ravaged beyond salvaging (which would be quite the slash given the rumored amount, even for Disney's already painful budget cuts). Especially as it's probably not going to be TOO expensive to clone (so it shouldn't affect a DCA2.0+ sized budget too much). But i'm worried about the rest of the expansion being of quality not that much better (apart from pretty scenery).

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I would so love to see a ride using the Ratatouille ride system come to DHS, but I know that likely will not be happening. Maybe we'll get some version of Carsland, maybe we'll finally get the Monsters Coaster, but who knows. Guess it's just a waiting game until we either get more concrete info or we get an official announcement. I think they are going to wait to announce it for a good while after work is underway, but we'll see.

BrerJon

Remember Toy Story Playland is just carnival rides, so this isn't anything that hasn't been heavily rumoured already.

Next Big Thing

What's amazing that TSP at HKDL and WDS each have three rides. Two of the three rides have height requirements.

#winning
Interesting to note that SDL's TSPL is only getting two rides. The Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop, which is at both of the other TSPL's, will not be included. That was also one of the two rides that included a height requirement.

How much do you want to bet we get that version?

GiveMeTheMusic

Interesting to note that SDL's TSPL is only getting two rides. The Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop, which is at both of the other TSPL's, will not be included. That was also one of the two rides that included a height requirement.

How much do you want to bet we get that version?

I don't mind flat rides. They can add variety to parks. I do mind crappy flat rides, and Playland is full of crappy flat rides. The Slinky Dog thing is lame, RC provides a mild thrill (and isn't really a flat ride) and the parachute drop thing is just a sad excuse for a ride.

I thought I read (maybe here?) that the parachute was dropped from Shanghai because of political sensitivities (US military theme)?

At any rate, adding more height requirement rides at DHS is a mistake. Theme parks just aren't this difficult to wrap your head around, but Disney sure is working hard to mess it up. A third TSMM track and TSPL doesn't come close to making DHS attractive to families. I hope more is also planned that gives the whole family options in a lopsided park.

Next Big Thing

I don't mind flat rides. They can add variety to parks. I do mind crappy flat rides, and Playland is full of crappy flat rides. The Slinky Dog thing is lame, RC provides a mild thrill (and isn't really a flat ride) and the parachute drop thing is just a sad excuse for a ride.

I thought I read (maybe here?) that the parachute was dropped from Shanghai because of political sensitivities (US military theme)?

At any rate, adding more height requirement rides at DHS is a mistake. Theme parks just aren't this difficult to wrap your head around, but Disney sure is working hard to mess it up. A third TSMM track and TSPL doesn't come close to making DHS attractive to families. I hope more is also planned that gives the whole family options in a lopsided park.
It is unfortunate that 2 of 3 rides have a height requirement, I agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom