The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Animaniac93-98

Mickey's ToonTown becoming Star Wars Land just seems odd.

Especially when the existing Star Wars ride is elsewhere.

Since the trolley stopped running, the bounce was taken out of Goofy's House and other elements were removed Toontown doesn't have much going for it beyond the RR dark ride and its general appearence. If they move Car Toon Spin elsewhere, I can't say I'll miss it much.

EDIT: How about getting rid of Monsters Inc and putting Roger Rabbit there as part of a new Toontown? Would make more sense there as an extension of Hollywood.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can understand someone proposing ToonTown for SW... I can't understand someone wiling to consider it.

Especially with all that space on the west side of the park. Festival land be gone!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So, how big is Toontown? I've never been, going to DisneyLand in February. That would give us a size of Star Wars land and then we hear WDW is getting the best version. Very exciting!

Area in yellow is Toon Town....

Untitled.jpg

Mike S

Since the trolley stopped running, the bounce was taken out of Goofy's House and other elements were removed Toontown doesn't have much going for it beyond the RR dark ride and its general appearence. If they move Car Toon Spin elsewhere, I can't say I'll miss it much.

EDIT: How about getting rid of Monsters Inc and putting Roger Rabbit there as part of a new Toontown? Would make more sense there as an extension of Hollywood.
They could always move it to Florida. DHS could use a nice dark ride ;) Toontown definitely does seem like an odd choice. One would think the most obvious choice would be around Star Tours. This is one reason why DHS could potentially have the better Star Wars Land if they wanted to do it, like how UOR will most likely always have the better WWoHP.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

So, how big is Toontown? I've never been, going to DisneyLand in February. That would give us a size of Star Wars land and then we hear WDW is getting the best version. Very exciting!
It's not that big but does take up the northern part outside the berm.

I hope this isn't what they decide to do because DLR's Toontown is pretty impressive. It has a nice dark ride and well-themed minor rides. The theming itself of the land is impressive. It was built with a noticeably decent sized budget for its time. It would be a shame to have to tear it down, unless they find a way to simply re-theme it and re-use the structures and its dark ride.

PeterAlt

I didn't know all that broke down. They should just fix it. As I said, it would be a shame to tear down!

Nland316

Toontown as of now is a decent sized area. I know there's a lot of backstage space, but I'd think that some buildings could be relocated to accommodate any size restraints. If they wanted to, it looks like they could add a second entrance to the right side of small world where the Roger Rabbit building currently is, and push the parade gates a little further back to make room for a pathway. But that's just me thinking.

Nland316

Oops didn't realize that it was Small World building, not RR. Now looking at a map, maybe they could use the Fantasyland Theater area in addition to Toontown?

PeterAlt

Disney announced NFL in 2009 and finally got it open in 2014 (5 years). They announced Avatar in 2011 and isn't scheduled to open until 2017 (6 years). And DTD/PI has been boarded up since 2008 with a completion date of 2016 (8 years).

Buckle your seatbelts and hold on to your hats, Disney is on quite the construction tear.
Wake me up when it happens...

MarkTwain

Mickey's ToonTown becoming Star Wars Land just seems odd.

Agreed. Imagine rounding the corner from the Teacups area into the Small World area, and running into... Star Wars? Also seems prohibitive for fireworks shows, although perhaps that could be reconfigured.

Despite what Spirit says, that really doesn't seem like a large chunk of land to me. They could close or move around stuff like the Fantasyland Theater and the horse barn, but that sounds like a lot of trouble.

PeterAlt

What Eisner shared with Walt Disney was a desire (ego) to be 'the best'. Eisner's great difference was that he was more focused on making money, willing to cut corners and hurry projects to make that buck.

Eisner gave us Disney-MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Pleasure Island, numerous attractions, Moderate & Value Resorts, and more. Eisner transformed WDW from 2 theme parks into a complete vacation destination.

In 9 years, Iger has given us Toy Story Mania and the New Fantasyland.

Iger took Eisner's willingness to cut corners in order to make a buck and turned it into WDW's mantra.

In many people's opinion, WDW is worse today than it was in 2005, Eisner's last year.

Iger has been CEO for 9 years. Iger has taken an ax to Disney's Parks & Resorts capex budget, with the lowest P&R investments vs. P&R revenue ratio of any Disney CEO.

I don't see anyone rushing to clean up "Eisner's mess" in Orlando.
He was doing his job. TWDC was not something he created or inherited, but an entity he was hired into by its shareholders. The shareholders (lead by Roy Disney and Stanley Gold) gave Eisner a long laundry list of things he was charged to do. Most of everything he did was because he was hired to do so and were on that list of things he was charged to do.

However, he did have a big ego and also wanted to leave a legacy as Walt did in addition to doing all those things Roy and the shareholders hired him for.

I'd say he did both with A scores, although Roy felt differently into his last few years that he served.

BrianLo

First, I am no tease, except with fanbois, so I've played enough: the current WDI plan for Star Wars at DLR involves a complete removal of ... Toontown. Don't know what this means for future DL pyro shows, but that is a huge chunk of land that is considered very 'underutilized'.

Hmm. To say I spent more than 30 seconds in Toontown on my most recent visit might be an exaggeration. It was more like 20... after I had done basically everything else of note, it was enough to see Roger Rabbit had a 40 minute wait - so I hightailed it out of there. It's very segregated from the rest of the park in a way, so a Star Wars takeover is probably about the least intrusive it could possibly be by heading to that area.

But, it's definitely odd. What of Innoventions? What about the sorry state for theming in tomorrowland? Is there actually still a plan to do something/anything with tomorrowland? The nice thing about the Star Wars Project was that it was a cleanse of the worst parts of Disneyland.

For those wondering about what will happen to Roger Rabbit and where he will go? The answer is clearly nowhere. Very few outside of the fandom care about the character.

DisneyFan 2000

For those wondering about what will happen to Roger Rabbit and where he will go? The answer is clearly nowhere. Very few outside of the fandom care about the character.

Damn shame too! He's one of the greatest characters to grace cinema, in my humble opinion.
It does seem odd choosing Toontown over any place in Tomorrowland (Autopia, Innoventions etc). Not doubting 74 on this, but the fact that we're - at least - a year away from anything close to an announcement leads me to believe that all this might, and probably will, change as we move forward.

Fox&Hound

Toontown does seem like an odd fit but maybe they view it as an easier demo than TL....Not saying that makes it a correct choice but I can see why they are considering it.

seahawk7

Toontown isn't that big maybe one third the size of Fantasyland. I find it sad to think Toontown would be replaced. It is a nice place for children to play on the playground type attractions. Barnstormer is there not to mention the Roger Rabbit ride. I have fond memories of my kids playing in Toontown. I don't think it's big enough for Star Wars and it's taking away from a charming child friendly area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom